PDA

View Full Version : Festergut: DPSing as a Prot War

Posolutely
01-14-2010, 07:06 AM
As my guild tends to bring 2 Prot warriors quite often to our 10 man runs, our battle with the enrage timer is pretty tight.

I'm looking for advice on how to best DPS as prot when you've got the 8-9 stacks of Gastric Blight (or, y'know, the first 60 seconds, when I have no stacks of the buff).

Last night, on our kill, one warrior pulled 2600ish dps, and I pulled 2300ish dps (I was the 2nd tank to tank him). Considering our guild's druid tank pulls 2500+ on most NORMAL tank and spank fights (ie: Lord Jarraxxus)...

Here's a link to our kill:
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/11197979#damageout
(http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/1368207)

Dekar
01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
As my guild tends to bring 2 Prot warriors quite often to our 10 man runs, our battle with the enrage timer is pretty tight.

I'm looking for advice on how to best DPS as prot when you've got the 8-9 stacks of Gastric Blight (or, y'know, the first 60 seconds, when I have no stacks of the buff).

Last night, on our kill, one warrior pulled 2600ish dps, and I pulled 2300ish dps (I was the 2nd tank to tank him). Considering our guild's druid tank pulls 2500+ on most NORMAL tank and spank fights (ie: Lord Jarraxxus)...

Here's a link to our kill:
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/11197979#damageout
(http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/1368207)

Sadly, prot warrior dps is normally the lowest of any tank class currently, and could possibly drop even a little more once blizz finishes making all these pvp nerfs to prot.

I've even switched to dps and let our 3rd tank (who is a lot less geared than me and our mt) tank him in my place in 25 man (10 mans there's no problem with me tanking and doing low dps as all 5 of our dps in 10 man are usually 7-8k+). They are both pallys and usually can do about 4.5k or more on 25 man while the attempts I did as tanking i could barely top out at 3k.

Kinch
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I managed 3900 dps on our last kill. I'm the second tank; a pally is the first (he managed 5100). Regular tanking gear. Start the fight in Battle stance for Shattering Throw. Then spam Shield Slam and Devastate for S&B procs. Probably should shift to Berserker after the throw, but I'm pretty sure I forgot to. I taunt at 8 stacks of Gastric Bloat, pally grabs back when I have 8. Shift to Berserker, spam Shield Slam and Devastate. Taunt again at 8. (Or forget and have the pally blow up.)

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/gufraidu07himk66/details/6/?s=6301&e=6592)

Muffin Man
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Since the tank swap occurs every 2 minutes. *Be sure you're dps from the back.* Most tanks are conditioned to fight from the front (Saurfang, Thorim, ect). But unless you're expertise hard capped, go behind Festergut.

I would recommend battle stance over zerker stance. WW is useless when sword and boarding. Although, you could stance dance to pop recklessness.

Then just keep up dev, dev, x, ss. Using any SnB procs immediately. Basically your normal rotation... so there's not much you can do.

@Kinch, Shattering throw is a good reminder... I'll have to remember doing that next week.

Astrid
01-15-2010, 06:19 AM
if youre not taking the damage while the third stack is up go ahead and put a slow DPS 1hander on and do the spam devastate/S&B procs, and you should see a significant dps increase. the argument of more threat with fast 1hs and more HSs goes out the window in a low rage situation. when i used my frost giants cleaver i did 4.2k as the tank that starts off.

pretty much putting on a slow weapon is the best thing you can do towards upping your dps in an offtanking situation

drae
01-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I use my facebreaker in battle stance since I don't have the rage to heroic strike. Use shattering throw, use recklessness; make sure your rotation is perfect. I prefer battle to zerker as ArP > Crit.

I hit 3800 on that fight on Tuesday.

Dreamwerks
01-16-2010, 07:51 AM
If you are barely making the dps requirements with a warrior tanking then your dps is failing. My 10man group is without hero and we down him with atleast 20 seconds or more to spare and we don't have the best geared players from our 25man either.

Dragaan
01-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Warriors should be able to hit 4-5k (maybe 6k+ on 25man) on that fight w/o much problem. Like stated above, just go to battle stance once you get taunted off of and go to town.

Kloon
01-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't really know much about warriors in general, but I do know that if you have a paladin or more in the raid, they can use hand of salvation, reducing your threat by 2% every second for 10 seconds, but as the above poster says, go to battle stance, berserker stance or whatever warriors can do. On my protection paladin, I simply used hanf of salvation on myself and took righteous fury off, then reactivated it when the other tank was at 7 stacks.

But here are tips for all the tanking classes for this:

Druid Tanks can go cat form, use [Cower] a bunch of time to keep their threat down, but still pull good dps, ours in 25man festergut did 4.5k dps on your kill.
Paladin tanks can do as I said above, drop rigtheous fury and hand of salvation yourself.
Death Knight tanks can go either blood or unholy presence.
Warriors can go berserker or battle stance.

Posolutely
01-18-2010, 09:15 AM
If you are barely making the dps requirements with a warrior tanking then your dps is failing. My 10man group is without hero and we down him with atleast 20 seconds or more to spare and we don't have the best geared players from our 25man either.

Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the thread or answering my posted question at all.

My guild only runs 10 mans, we don't have 264 gear half of us don't have 245 gear, so yes, the enrage timers can be a problem.

Thanks to everyone else who did help. Hopefully it will help us out more this week. Having dual warriors really gimped our DPS.

Predakhan
01-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the thread or answering my posted question at all.

My guild only runs 10 mans, we don't have 264 gear half of us don't have 245 gear, so yes, the enrage timers can be a problem.

Thanks to everyone else who did help. Hopefully it will help us out more this week. Having dual warriors really gimped our DPS.

I agree and the differences between 10 and 25 man are huge. 10 man is a lot more forgiving than the 25 version.

Squirrelnut
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Don't get me wrong I am very disappointed with Prot Warrior DPS however with the stacks on Festergut I don't see why Prot Warriors are having so many issues?

On our most recent 25m kill I did about 4.8k DPS as the MT:
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/gqtzk1j5khldyx9k/sum/damageDone/?s=13210&e=13508)

Whoever tanks first will do substantially more DPS due to having 9 stacks much sooner and each stack is a damage increase (since I went first I out DPSed our prot pally). Also as soon as the tank swap takes place I auto attack for a couple seconds to let him get aggro, then switch to Arms stance and continue with normal rotation simply not using Heroic Strike so I don't worry about passing him in threat. Once he gets up around 7 Stacks I switch back to Def stance so that I am full on rage when it is time to swap again.

Squirrelnut
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Warriors should be able to hit 4-5k (maybe 6k+ on 25man) on that fight w/o much problem. Like stated above, just go to battle stance once you get taunted off of and go to town.
I would be interested to see a 6k+ Prot Warrior parse. He hits hard enough in current gear that I would see a hard time wearing any DPS oriented pieces and I haven't had numbers much over 5k personally.

Sheed
01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
We did Festergut for the first time last night. As it was our guilds first attempts at him, I wasn't fully prepared for my dps part of the fight. I am also raidleader, so I had other concerns besides my dps. I didn't switch my wep out or anything. I was tanking first, and just switched to Battle and moved behind him at the swap. I pulled 4.3k dps for the fight without really even trying. HS, Rend, Devastate, and SS, plus Shattering Throw.