PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Finding The Right Fit

Ciderhelm
01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
_rn9JCSTr9I

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Kazeyonoma
01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
goddamn, that is an awesome screenshot to pause on.

Lore
01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
how does that keep happening

Destruyen
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
rofl at the intro this week.

Lilie
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
YouTube is infatuated with your faces :).

ghiradelli
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Lore, can you wear some form of head wear/gear during your next video?

Skie
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Gotta love the still frames, and Tennant is totally the best!

/licks lore's cat

luv2tank
01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
mmmm sweet lemonade...

Titangrip
01-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Lore,

You sir need to keep up with these introductions!

I just fell off my chair!

drae
01-14-2010, 06:21 AM
I find one of the biggest problems with raiders in the position Lore is describing is their unwillingness to discuss the issue in a honest and frank way which would promote resolution.

To often I find people complain simply to complain! Hyperbole is over-used to try and emphasize their position. This is often followed by trying to pressure the decision makers to decide in their favour. Raiders who approach officers in such a manner have liitle hope of resolving the issue if your officer isn't a pushover, often times they will approach the officer with the least.... spine (for lack of a better term) as they figure their chances of success are higher.

The other side of the spectrum are raiders who don't discuss the issue at all and just mysteriously gquit after a straw breaks the camels back.

Neither approach is conducive to a healthy raiding guild. I agree with Lore, the best way to approach the problem is to identify the primary issue, present the issue with possible solutions or methods of resolution to the appropriate officer (like don't bother the officer who is strictly responsible for recruitment with your complaints about raid leading) in a respectful, calm manner.

Excellent vblog this week Lore, looking forward to more!

xenasunrider
01-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Lore,
I was wondering if you could post an example of how your guild conducts their raids over vent. Sometimes (especially in 25 mans) my guild finds themselves getting lost in socialization. They get distracted in boss fights and then we wipe. I was just interested in the proper way for a raid leader to quiet loud people on vent at inappropriate times and the ways to help raiders transition from light hearted banter during meaningless trash to serious boss time.
Thanks,
Xena Sunrider - <Fallen Souls> US Lightning's Blade

Cholerabob
01-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Xena , the only way i could see would be to ask them to stop doing it. If not, i once saw a GM mute the players that would not shut up, a bit drastic i know, but they understood the message then.

Occumbo
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Certainly could help the guild application process for a large pool of people to watch this video. You raised some interesting questions to ask that I have not thought about before.

Keep up the good work Lore.

JakobBloch
01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Lore,
I was wondering if you could post an example of how your guild conducts their raids over vent. Sometimes (especially in 25 mans) my guild finds themselves getting lost in socialization. They get distracted in boss fights and then we wipe. I was just interested in the proper way for a raid leader to quiet loud people on vent at inappropriate times and the ways to help raiders transition from light hearted banter during meaningless trash to serious boss time.
Thanks,
Xena Sunrider - <Fallen Souls> US Lightning's Blade

Well in all the guilds I have been in some sort of trigger word or phrase seems to work. "All right people. Gamefaces!" usually works fine. When that phrase is uttered everyone shuts up and until the fight is over speech is restricted to the people that need it (say communication among tanks or interrupters) or in special situations like "HEY Dunghead! Get out of the fire."

It is basically accepting some amount of discipline to seep into the raid.

Kazeyonoma
01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
xena, it wouldn't be crazy to have a chat with the raid, over vent before the raid actually starts one day. Just say it in a non-angry but serious tone, that we need to start to take things a bit more seriously when raiding. There's a time and place to goof off, and a time and place to be serious. Raiding is serious time, and please clear vent to allow communication for the fights.

Redemic
01-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey :) I got a question which i REALLY want to know badly. Been wondering how big your PC monitor is. i am thinking of buying a new screen and i noticed ur addons fit very well into your screen and wish mine did too. So when i buy a new one i want one similar sized or the same as yours.

Please reply or say on your next video :) Thank you!!

Darkwanderer
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey :) I got a question which i REALLY want to know badly. Been wondering how big your PC monitor is. i am thinking of buying a new screen and i noticed ur addons fit very well into your screen and wish mine did too. So when i buy a new one i want one similar sized or the same as yours.

Please reply or say on your next video :) Thank you!!

Pretty much anything 20inch or higher gives you loads of space. Using an 22 inch myself and there's more room than I need.

Lakshata
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
There's a time and place to goof off, and a time and place to be serious. Raiding is serious time, and please clear vent to allow communication for the fights.
Theres a time and place for serious face, theres a time and place for... other face?

My guild usually has some banter in boss fights but usually a solid "clear vent" from the healers or Raid leader, or a "focus" from the moral support gets people more focused.

Turelliax
01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I have to say... as time goes on.. Lore's Marmot gets more and more amazing.

batumix
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Lore, Are you stalking me!?:D

Lore
01-15-2010, 04:20 AM
yes.

Krenian
01-15-2010, 08:24 AM
ROFL! Did you seriously do what you did. You made me crack outloud at work. Good job. :D

Zorzil
01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Lore, your weekly marmots just keep getting better and better!

The Youtube screenshot is once again win, and I agree, David Tennant is awesome.

Djtk
01-16-2010, 01:12 AM
This latest video is fantastic. I'm finding the more that Lore does this, the more open and silly he becomes and it's great. It keeps me coming back.

"WHAT TIME DO THE EPICS DROP?" is by far my most favorite line of the videos to date. Very good job sir, keep up the great work.

I do have a question though.

In the last few of your videos, there has been no background music. Any particular reason as to why there is none?

Other than that, awesome work :).

Redemic
01-16-2010, 06:25 AM
i have a 22" monitor atm nd when i record videos onto youtube it doesnt tae all the youtube viewing screen up like Lore's movies. My screens a 22" but i need to buy a new one for another house and i wanted one the same size as Tankspot uses for there recording.

Lakshata
01-16-2010, 08:18 AM
i have a 22" monitor atm nd when i record videos onto youtube it doesnt tae all the youtube viewing screen up like Lore's movies. My screens a 22" but i need to buy a new one for another house and i wanted one the same size as Tankspot uses for there recording.
What size does your Webcam record in? Mine records from anywhere to 640x480 to 1280x1024. I don't think the size of your screen has much affect on the recording xD

Karhazn
01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
The intro was quite epic.

Lore, you should play one of your guitars in a future episode.

natilious
01-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Just thought i would let you know, if you dont already. Of an addon I use as a raid leader. It is called Boss Tactics. What it does is in game it brings up a menu. You choose the instance and boss. It then brings up a picture of the area you will be fighting the boss and an optional placement for the raid. It then gives all the information on the boss. From hit points abilities, all the way to strategys. Whether you choose to look into it and inform people is up to you. But I personally find it quite useful. =P

Durandall
01-18-2010, 01:49 AM
So this is my first post hopefully of many here at Tank Spot but I was impressed with this and actually think I will use some of what you talk about to improve information on our own guild's website.

I was somewhat curious however if there would be a possible followup video on recruiting for guilds. It would be a logical progression from here, and often the strength of your ability to recruit members has an immediate and direct impact on raids and the guild's atmosphere.

What tips, tricks, or advice would you have for someone who is a recruiting officer of a guild in order to 1) offer a good representation of the guild to applicants, and 2) get the whole guild involved in recruiting. It's my opinion all members should have some say if they choose about those who will be joining us on raids.

Symian
01-18-2010, 04:59 AM
This question is more directed @ Lore but any help would be apriciated.

I have just been handed a promotion in my guild to raid leader (yay!). But I am now faced the responsibilties of putting together raid groups. We focus on 10m atm.

My problem is that there are a few sub par players...1 in particular a mage.
Now when I joined the guild he was doing 1.5k DPS in T9's. So I decided to help him out, and I found that he spec was all wrong, gear not enchanted and gemmed and he rotation was strange. So I spend gold on getting him enchanted and correctly gemed, I paid for his respec and spend about an hour or two on the target dummies perfecting his rotation.

To such that he went up to around 3k + So I was happy and told him that he would need to keep the practice up.

The other day I invited him to our first raid in ToTC10 Heroic...and to my surpirse he performance was very poor. And then again in ICC and Ulduar raids and he DPS was normaly below 2k.

Its now got to a point that I cannot take him to raids because I have had to set 4/5k + out to take him. However, (heres the problem) he is a real life friend of the guild leader, who insists that I take the mage. And now I have other raid DPS getting upset that they have to be sat for this guy and are losing loot, which I can understand...and I kinda feel like a piggy in the middle.

Gotankadin
01-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Lore Dude, you look totally psychotic in that shot!

Djtk
01-18-2010, 05:48 AM
This question is more directed @ Lore but any help would be apriciated.

I have just been handed a promotion in my guild to raid leader (yay!). But I am now faced the responsibilties of putting together raid groups. We focus on 10m atm.

My problem is that there are a few sub par players...1 in particular a mage.
Now when I joined the guild he was doing 1.5k DPS in T9's. So I decided to help him out, and I found that he spec was all wrong, gear not enchanted and gemmed and he rotation was strange. So I spend gold on getting him enchanted and correctly gemed, I paid for his respec and spend about an hour or two on the target dummies perfecting his rotation.

To such that he went up to around 3k + So I was happy and told him that he would need to keep the practice up.

The other day I invited him to our first raid in ToTC10 Heroic...and to my surpirse he performance was very poor. And then again in ICC and Ulduar raids and he DPS was normaly below 2k.

Its now got to a point that I cannot take him to raids because I have had to set 4/5k + out to take him. However, (heres the problem) he is a real life friend of the guild leader, who insists that I take the mage. And now I have other raid DPS getting upset that they have to be sat for this guy and are losing loot, which I can understand...and I kinda feel like a piggy in the middle.

Tell your Guild Leader that if the Mage cannot improve his DPS you will NOT take him. You will not sacrifice the progression of the guild/raid group for 1 person.

If the Guild Leader cannot understand this, then I hazard a guess as to why he's the guild leader in the first place, but I digress.

It simply comes down to this. If he cannot perform, he cannot come. It's that cut and dry. In ICC, you simply cannot have lower than 3.5k dps and expect to do well.

Just because he's an RL friend of the Guild Leader, does not mean he gets special previlges. That kind of thing WILL piss people off and WILL force them to /gquit and look elsewhere. The time of 9 is greater than the time of 1.

Symian
01-18-2010, 06:00 AM
But when is enough, enough. I mean I spent close to 1k in gold on him to make sure he was properly enchanted and gem'd...and spent a lot of time with him to work on rotations and CD's...

And he is still bad...I seriuosly..just want to kick him from the raiding group (not teh guild) untill he can prove to me that he can do good DPS. I mean he has similar gear to my mage atm, and I do 5k DPS on most fights with little effort and its not like an Arcane mage rotation is hard IMO....

Djtk
01-18-2010, 06:06 AM
He won't learn if he's catered to. Imo, you shouldn't have had to fork out your gold for stuff he could of easily done on his own. Leave him out of the raid group for a few weeks. If he wants to raid that badly, he'll improve on his own. If he doesn't, then he's an entitled that wants to get carried & ICC is not for those to be carried.

Verg
01-18-2010, 06:38 AM
I'd like to say on behalf of all the gnomes...

/cry

All joking aside...nice ideas presented there. I couldn't agree more.

Redemic
01-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Hmm, im not using a webcam, im using fraps but i make the film and publish it using windows movie maker, not sony vegas, but i record it with "windows media HD 720p, if i put it on 1080p, it doesnt fit into the youtube viewing screen. aww well. still buying a new screen, wanted to know what Lore's screen size is and maybe what he does differently

Durandall
01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Tell your Guild Leader that if the Mage cannot improve his DPS you will NOT take him. You will not sacrifice the progression of the guild/raid group for 1 person.

If the Guild Leader cannot understand this, then I hazard a guess as to why he's the guild leader in the first place, but I digress.

It simply comes down to this. If he cannot perform, he cannot come. It's that cut and dry. In ICC, you simply cannot have lower than 3.5k dps and expect to do well.

Just because he's an RL friend of the Guild Leader, does not mean he gets special previlges. That kind of thing WILL piss people off and WILL force them to /gquit and look elsewhere. The time of 9 is greater than the time of 1.

This guy has absolutely hit the nail on the head. Also I'll add a little tidbit myself. For one remember, the guild leader has made you a raid leader on purpose, he respects you as a guildy and as such should respect your opinion. I'm also under the assumption that this is not the only 10 man group in this guild? You are the raid leader of your group of 10, and to an extent you have to look for the best interest of all 10 people in the group. The Guild Leader should understand this. If he is an IRL friend of the raid leader perhaps he is best fit into the Guild Leader's 10 man group rather than yours, or perhaps the Guild Leader needs to see how much he is under performing in comparison to the others.

Lakshata
01-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm guessing your cat doesn't taste just like rasins

Symian
01-19-2010, 06:28 PM
This guy has absolutely hit the nail on the head. Also I'll add a little tidbit myself. For one remember, the guild leader has made you a raid leader on purpose, he respects you as a guildy and as such should respect your opinion. I'm also under the assumption that this is not the only 10 man group in this guild? You are the raid leader of your group of 10, and to an extent you have to look for the best interest of all 10 people in the group. The Guild Leader should understand this. If he is an IRL friend of the raid leader perhaps he is best fit into the Guild Leader's 10 man group rather than yours, or perhaps the Guild Leader needs to see how much he is under performing in comparison to the others.

Your right we do have another 10 man raid going to ulduar and totc atm, this is were we test our new recruits...before I put them to more challenging tests. The Guild leader put me in charge of progression raids, because real life issues meant the he could not do it himself (as he didn't have the time to dedicate to what it means to be a raid leader).

I was actually quite amazed about how fast he did make me raid leader (though he have been raiding in PuG's since BT), But it still only took a month, and as soon as I did I took all the dps, tanks and healers and gave them the once over and gave suggestions on how to improve as I have some xp in most classes and like to think I can give advice, and if I don't then I know someone that can.

That being said, I actually want to work this mage because he is a nice guy always happy. But I am stuck as to how I can be of any help. Any suggestions

Djtk
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Only thing you can do is provide him with information on how he can improve. It's up to him to be able to put that into affect.