PDA

View Full Version : Raiding with Confidence

Tylovan
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
so I've run into a problem, and it's less with my raid I think and more with me, and I've come to all of you, who have given me so much help already, to see if you can't help me solve this problem.

See...I do enjoy raiding. I like it alot. It's fun to see new content, it's great to have a group of people you can run with, and of course the gear is always a plus too.

when I raid as a non-RL and we wipe or we have difficulties, I look at what went on and I get what I think is a pretty good idea of what happened and how to fix it. it seems obvious and easy.

Yet....when I actually get put in the hot-seat...I half-crumble. I hesitate on decisions, I forget things, I've made a few minor mistakes (nothing that caused anyone to die), and just....generally all those easy fixes go out the window, mostly because I forget all about them out of nerves.

I know it's partially because I'm a perfectionist and I feel like every decision I make should be the right one, and oftentimes I'm not a hundred percent sure on the decisions I make, although I feel like I'm supposed to be. I look at the raids I've been in and I get the feeling that there was a general lack of discipline and clear communication, but when I get into the position I find myself just as bad.

I want to raid, and I want to help lead others into places they want to see and want to go. But...how do I get over this? Am I just nervous? or are my easy solutions faltering because when I conceive them I miss pieces of the puzzle because I'm not in the RL seat at the time?

Any general advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Bashal
01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
From previous posts you have made, your guild has some things in common with mine.

I'm going to go out on a limb a bit and say that possibly some of the problem is that you don't want to piss off your friends (be they real-life friends or exclusively in-game friends), either by making a mistake yourself, or pointing out their own mistakes. It's one thing to see a problem and relay it to someone else to take care of; it's another when you have to handle it yourself.

It's all in the delivery, really, as to how criticism is received. And if you make a mistake, it's not like there are a ton of other people clamoring to do your job. Generally guildmates are able to handle a bad call or two from their raid leader, if for no other reason than they're glad they aren't doing it themselves.

And as long as you are also making sure people know what they are getting right, what they are doing well, that makes the times you need to be critical sting a lot less.

I'm never afraid to admit I made a mistake, and I'm also always willing to credit someone else with a good idea -- sometimes I get whispers from people saying "what if we tried X"? And if it sounds like a good idea, I make sure it's known where the idea for the change comes from.

Sometimes when things aren't working right, I can't always see what the issue was. In those circumstances, I'll simply ask on vent, "anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?". You aren't asking them to solve the problem, you're just asking them what they think the problem is; you're still going to try and provide a solution, you're just gathering information.

Just remember, you may be the raid leader, but the raid as a whole makes it happen. In that sense, everyone is in the hot seat.

Penlowe
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
"The way I see this is blah blah blah... what do you guys think?" is one way of making a statement about an issue without being confrontational. I got that from a business management website. I've found managing people is managing people, whether it's a paid position or volunteer, the people you are managing are picked by you or not. Sales meeting, church softball team, Salvation Army Christmas bell ringers or guild raid group, if you are in charge you are in the hot seat regardless of how much enthusiasm or attention the people under you have to give.

So, if you have any work leadership experience to draw on, do it.

Bashal
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
...managing people is managing people...

Indeed it is. :)

Proletaria
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Raid-leading is an acquired skill that takes a lot of practice, patience, and raw leadership skills. You can get great tips from managment websites, books, or classes, but the bottom line is some people need more work at it than others. If you have another stronger voice in the raid who wants to lead and can make the calls, then have them do it and allow you to take over on encounters you are comfortable with until you've got the courage to take over full-time.

As far as criticism is concerned, you know (or you should) your raiders attitudes and you've hopefully recruited people who are relatively like-minded on the issue. If you're an in-your-face critic, then you want to make sure the thin-skinned are on their way out asap. If you're quite certain everyone in the raid is thin-skinned, then you're probably going to have to tip-toe around with courtesy and suggestions rather than "hey, X, play better."

Bottom line is, you know your guild better than anyone else. Leading a group effectively is a dynamic thing that depends a lot on the personalities you're dealing with. Figure out what makes everyone tick and work out a leading strategy that works for you.

Acheronia
02-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Some general raid leading tips:

1) If you're not sure about a tactic, then say it. "I'm not sure about this tactic, but let's give it a go and if we fall on our faces, we'll look at a different way of doing it." This works well if you're raiding with people that you are close and comfortable with.

2) Raid lead often. There's nothing that will boost your confidence more than practice practice and more practice.

3) Keep pen and paper handy. It works wonders for remembering little details. You can even plan a raid for the evening before hand with a little list of things to remember (wow, I sound like my mother now!) After a while you'll get into the groove of things and you'll remember those details with no effort whatsoever.

4) Get feedback. After the raid, ask the guys to stick around and to crit your performance. De-brief. Nothing quite like seeing your raid leading from someone else's perspective. And you might hear "Dude, you were awesome" more than once :)

5) Be nice to yourself. We all do so much better than what we give ourselves credit for.

Labguy23
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I am reasonably new to raid leading as well. I have tried to split up responsibilities to others that I trust to help shoulder some of the burden. I have a healing lead, tank lead, and a group to handle all the loot. Instead of having to go over ALL the details, I can just say, "I want 5 healers and a two tank rotation." The leads organize their respective groups put their people in the right places to succeed, and I can focus on other bigger picture things. It helps me tremendously.

Motorboatin
02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Also when raid leading it helps to have the right tools to do the job, something as simple as a deathclock with a bossmod can make a difference, for example if you can see that the next spawn of whatever is in 15 seconds but the boss will die in 20s you need to let your raid know to ignore the adds and continue to dps the boss.

Set your ui up cleanly and have your dbm/deus vox/whatever in an easy to see/read place, also don't feel bad to wake up players during a raid, sometimes dps and healers get the blinders on and are not really paying attention to that ghost that is sneaking up behind them on deathwhisperer.

Do not let people countermand or make snide remarks about any of the calls you make, you made them good or bad you stick with them and then fix the problem afterwords, you do not want raiders second guessing your judgement, sometimes a snap decision is needed and it needs to be done NOW.

Anyhow my quick 2 cents back to the grind.

Eraser
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
My advice would be: People stuff up... don't worry about it.

When we were doing TotGC I made a call on Anub that cost us tribute to insanity. I mean that was a pretty big stuff up and while I was the guild joke for a few weeks (even now it gets brought up every now and again) it wasn't really that bad. I think that as long as you're prepared to learn from your mistakes people will accept stuff ups.