PDA

View Full Version : Rotface ooze threat?

Helgi
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
My guild and myself were attempting to down 25-man Rotface the other night. We did not get him, mainly because we have several members who seem to have trouble being situationally aware.

But regardless, I noticed some interest mechanics regarding the oozes (the pre-combined oozes). I was under the impression that the oozes would have a rather large amount of threat (i've heard several people quote 500,000 threat) toward the person that Mutated Infection was dispelled from. I also thought that this amount of threat would be difficult if not impossible to overcome as long as two oozes were combined in a fairly timely manner.

However, there were several times when a raid member would be dispelled and the ooze would run directly after another member of the raid (usually a healer) instead of following the person it was dispelled from until the oozes combined.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, is this the way the encounter is intended, or is it a bug? It seems a little fishy that a healer could pump out 2 million HP of healing as soon as an ooze appears.

Halgreg
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
The tank kiting your big slime must maintain threat on the big slime to overcome healing aggro. As an example, a DK can keep up diseases and kite his slime through Death and Decay to keep threat up.

Giliandrix
01-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Pretty sure Halgreg didn't read your post carefully.

But anyways, that's just the nature of the small oozes. They aggro to whoever they get cleansed off of with a massive amount of threat and cannot be taunted, but they can be snared however. It's the way the encounter was intended, otherwise it'd be a lot easier wouldn't you agree? People would just cleanse off the add in raid, and the kite-tank would just taunt it over and let them merge. Rather than making it constrained by having people run in and out etc.

Moonrake
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
We were having similar issues in our 10 man run last week. At times a small ooze wouldn't agro on the person that was dispelled and ran amok on the healers.

Cybnext
01-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Pretty sure Halgreg didn't read your post carefully.

But anyways, that's just the nature of the small oozes. They aggro to whoever they get cleansed off of with a massive amount of threat and cannot be taunted, but they can be snared however. It's the way the encounter was intended, otherwise it'd be a lot easier wouldn't you agree? People would just cleanse off the add in raid, and the kite-tank would just taunt it over and let them merge. Rather than making it constrained by having people run in and out etc.

I love how you call someone out for not reading the post carefully but then you do the same thing.

Anyways, we've been having the same problem with healers getting aggro on the small oozes as well and the only thing I can think of is a heal is going off in between when the ooze spawns and the threat is applied to the ooze for the injected player which is causing the healer to get aggro rather than the injected player.

Bashal
01-13-2010, 07:28 AM
I haven't seen this issue with the small oozes, myself. They stick to the person who was cleansed until combined into a large ooze.

Possibly it's a glitch?

Fayre
01-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Any kind of immunity or threat drop will drop the ooze aggro to the next nearest in threat (i.e. a healer).

If you keep awake and check who that ooze is after, call it out, and the healer can then go run it to the big ooze. Not ideal, for sure, but that's what we ended up with.

Akeber
01-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Anyways, we've been having the same problem with healers getting aggro on the small oozes as well and the only thing I can think of is a heal is going off in between when the ooze spawns and the threat is applied to the ooze for the injected player which is causing the healer to get aggro rather than the injected player.

Threat dumps may cause ooozes to change targets. Had a mage pop mirror images right at the start of the fight, he got the debuff and was cleansed while under the effects of the mirror images (no threat), and the ooze picked someone else to aggro to. I would imagine the same behaviour might occur if a hunter feined death, pally bubbled, mage ice blocked, even a priest using fade might cause the small ooze to change targets.

Could this be what happened?

Bashal
01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Threat dumps may cause ooozes to change targets

That sounds like the answer to me. I guess we'll see what the OP says. ;)

Theotherone
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
We were having similar issues in our 10 man run last week. At times a small ooze wouldn't agro on the person that was dispelled and ran amok on the healers.

We had the same issue, but I noticed it happened when the player off of whom the add spawned died.

Theotherone
01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Threat dumps may cause ooozes to change targets. Had a mage pop mirror images right at the start of the fight, he got the debuff and was cleansed while under the effects of the mirror images (no threat), and the ooze picked someone else to aggro to. I would imagine the same behaviour might occur if a hunter feined death, pally bubbled, mage ice blocked, even a priest using fade might cause the small ooze to change targets.

Could this be what happened?

I can confirm it happens on a pally bubble, we had that happen.

Helgi
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I can confirm it happens on a pally bubble, we had that happen.

Ditto. We had one of our Pally healers repeatably lose aggro on a ooze. Checked the replay I recorded of the fight and lone behind, he was using his bubble after he was dispelled. :rolleyes:

Halgreg
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Oops, my mistake! The pre-combined oozes part didn't quite register with me as I usually just refer to them as "little ooze".

Terthon
01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
We saw this a lot tonight doing Rotface on 10 man. We even saw a Pally's consecrate pull the little ooze off of the initial target, but it's not consistent at all.

For example, I'll get the first infection, go run to the OT who puts down consecration so he'll get aggro on the big ooze... and that thing never leaves my side. The MT gets an ooze on her consecration despite the fact that it was there for all of 3 seconds.

It's somewhat fixable if you have to wait longer to cleanse, but the consecrate pull still has us confused.

Cybnext
01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Alright, this has to be major server lag. We're having major issues with healers getting aggro on the SMALL oozes. Basically this is what happens:

Gets dispelled from the injected player
Immediately aggros to a healer
5-10 seconds later the small ooze goes to the player that was injected.

This makes it EXTREMELY difficult to get the right person out for the merge.

We were also seeing problems with oozes not merging for 3-5 seconds or not at all.

Thelifetaker
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I have had the small oozes aggroing to healers in our raid, currently I am raiding on my mage and i have been able to regaining aggro on the ooze after a couple instant casts, and quite a lot of the strat guides i have read have also not mentioned that the small oozes have a large aggro set in the target but only that they are untauntable even one of the tanksopt guides states to have the OT hold them till another is spawned (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f128/58649-rotface-encounter.html) and i believe that any damage or major healing will out aggro the person running from it , in a similar fashion to that of the oozes that are first encountered in the military wing in Naxx were not tauntable and highest dps held aggro