PDA

View Full Version : Saurfang Add Tanking?

kingcomrade
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
In all the guides I've seen it recommends not tanking the adds and just snaring them and killing them before they get to anyone.

My guild leader just has the tanks tank the adds and everyone burn them quickly. He says he's gotten through that fight several times with that strategy, and I believe him, just not ever when I'm there. I do believe that the group he does that strategy with is his ToGC geared group though while my group is mostly on the level of triumph badge gear.

What would happen every single time we tried it was a wipe on the 30% enrage. Every time, no trouble getting to 30% and then we would wipe after getting him down to 10-15%. Before the enrage normally only one or two marks would go out. This is getting extremely frustrating for me because I get stuck on Saurfang every single time I go into that raid and still don't have my first wing achievement.

As a healer I just have an incredibly hard time keeping alive the people who have the fallen champion mark on them when he enrages at 30%.

saedo
01-10-2010, 05:38 PM
If that's done, it's likely you'll have quite a few marks in the end regardless of how fast you can burn them.

If you got pallies, have them beacon (in turn) the Marks, and they can go about healing other stuff.

Liquidska
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
This is the set strategy that we use in my guild and we have cleared every week ICC has been out doing this. The most marks we have ever gotten was BARELY getting a 3rd. We do shadowfury the adds as soon as they come out, but after that, the tanks pick them up like anything else. They honestly do not generate all that much BP. (Of course both tanks do throw on avoidance gear, but I really doubt it makes that much diffrence for this particular aspect of the fight)

Smooshie
01-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Intresting idea, we normally just do the normal Root one add, get a SP to spam MF on the other while the dps nuke them down. Finished the fight just getting one mark when the boss had 7% hp left.

drae
01-11-2010, 06:21 AM
I've never seen it done that way; but I imagine you could tank the adds if your raid does enough damage. Especially if the adds are shadowfury -> shock-waved.

The best I've seen is one mark in 25m, we use traps and mind-sear.

Theotherone
01-11-2010, 07:17 AM
We use two hunters with spider pets. Spiders web the adds out of the box, then the hunters Distracting Shot them into Frost Traps, and pop a Concussive Shot on them if they're not dead at the end of the Frost Trap. Usually, one hunter and another range are on each add. If people pay attention and burn adds immediately, we'll get one stack.

kaehl
01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
We tank the adds on 25 man. Pally/Warr tanks with chain stuns by all classes who have one (Shadowfury, Shockwave, HoJ and I throw my shield as soon as they spawn). Never had a problem. We also rotate BoP's on the first few Boiling Blood targets at the start of the fight. Never had a problem with this strat.

Giliandrix
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
What's your raid comp look like?

kaehl
01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Tanks(2)- Paladin(1), Warrior(1)
Ranged(10)- Boomkin(1), Hunter(2), Mage(2), Priest(1), Rogue(1), Warlock(2), Shaman(1)
Melee(8)- DK(1), Feral(2), Paladin(3), Shaman(1), Warrior(1)
Heals(5)- Druid(2), Priest(2), Shaman(1)

Giliandrix
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Couple of fast tips since I gotta run out of the door soon.

If any of your priests are discipline that makes this fight a lot easier, have them save PWS for people that get blood boil. The BP ticks will be negated.

Have your boomkin, Glyph for Hurricane and make sure he is NOT glyphed for Typhoon. 3 seconds before the adds spawn your Boomkin should be channeling Hurricane, if your Melee/Tanks aren't AoEing all the adds should naturally go towards your boomkin. Also place your boomkin in the center of the raid.

Have your two hunters lay down frost traps so that they cover enough area to be slowed permanently on their way to the boomkin. When the adds spawn have them Misdirect/Volley to the boomkin as well.

All the ranged DPS at this point should be beating down the adds as they go towards the boomkin, if your melee DK is unholy he should be pesting to make sure EP is on all the adds (13% Magic Dmg). Once the adds get close to the boomkin he simply uses Typhoon and blows them back. And once again the adds try to get back to the boomkin but get slowed again by the frost traps. Hopefully the adds are dead at this point, but if they're not you also have a Thunderstorm from the Ele Shammy that can act as an emergency Typhoon if needed.

Letting the first two people that get marks die is also really helpful.

Bovinity
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
"Tanking" the adds is one of those things that you probably CAN do (People say they have, I have no reason to doubt them.) but I just can't fathom a reason why you would unless you have a really range-light composition in 25-man or something.

Sounds a lot like stacking fire resistance gear to do Jaraxxus for Legion Flame. You could, but why not just move out of the darn fire?

Eravian
01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Honestly, if you're dying at the enrage timer, it may just be that the dps isn't enough to beat the enrage timer. We ended up having to bring in some undergeared alts to do some Saurfang tries last week, and 20% was the best we got him before he enraged.

As far as tanking them goes, we actually ended up Shockwaving one right off the bet (if I didn't have Saurfang on me I'd COncussion Blow the other), and then as soon as the other tank took Saurfang from me, I'd charge one Concussion Blow it (provided it wasn't on CD), and Intercept the other, then rush back to pick up Saurfang again.

We would also throw out a taunt on them if they got too close to ranged, bringing them back towards us. Usually that bought the ranged enough time to kill them before they reached us.

windowlicker
01-12-2010, 08:16 PM
When the adds spawn in 10 man we have 2 ranged that pull them so they crossover behind saurfang and I shockwave them as they cross. They are usually dead or nearly dead by the time it ends. We usually only ever have 1 mark go out if we mess up a bit we get 2. Once we get a bit more geared we think it may even to possible to burn him down before any marks go out.

Proxpull
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
If you have high enough dps then sure it really shouldn't be a problem tanking them, though shouldn't be really required.

I normally have a pally healer stick RF up in the center at max range, with a boomkin near him. Have your hunters lay traps down and when ever they get close the boomkin will knock them back.

Though as a tank you can be very helpful in this fight, by simply taunting an add when it is too close to a dps. The current person tanking saurfang is free to use his taunt on cool down, while the tank awaiting the taunt should only use 2 taunts on cooldown before saving it to taunt off the current tank.

Just by taunting normally give the dps plenty of time to kill the add.

as a tank i tend to get more involved on this fight, because i can.