PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Being A Good Raider

Ciderhelm
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Looking for Icecrown guides? Simply scroll down on the frontpage or head to our Project Marmot (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/) forums. These movies can also be downloaded through our Donor Download service (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)!

k62I8scwSIg

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Conradx
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
"Let's me pull my head out of my Aaaaaction bar"
hahaha

Krenian
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Those knives are illegal! Least in Canada. Silly Lore.

dhcabinian
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Those knives are illegal! Least in Canada. Silly Lore.

I thought the same thing....
Well at least what we found out what Lore does in his spare time...

Nice butterfly knife though, or is that a switch? hahah, I forgot.

Lakshata
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm now fully convinced Lore is a spy, and he wants to sap my sentries.

Kerafyrm
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Figured it was worth a mention. There is a mod similar to clcret for enhancement shaman called Shock and Awe, which gives you a priority queue and a number of other features (like cooldown bar). I use it almost exclusively for the priority queue though.

Link: ShockAndAwe - Addons - Curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/shockandawe.aspx)

There is a more generalized addon called PriorityQueue for more classes, though I did not like it as much since it was too generalized.

Dudelmfao
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey I was actually wondering Id you could make a video on like how to lead/form a succesful raidin guild alrite thanks-dudelmfao

Zurena
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Yay the Lore Marmot is up!

The trash in the new wing was cool. I thought the Valkyries were particularly interesting with their splitting off doppelgangers. The dogs were some quality trash too. We have one guildy who really wants Precious's ribbon.

I also like your good raider tips. Attitude makes a big difference.

Thanks for the Marmot, and I look forward to next week's, as I always enjoy them.

Arielin
01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
there is another addon that is similar to the one mentioned called destruction for dummies and contrary to the name it works for multiple builds and even tells you if you forgot a buff.

we have a few people who were well no where near the dps they could be at thier gear I was like dled this for a week (since some people just don't get a rotation if u explain it to them or I don't know it) and within 10 min they were doing double the dps

the proof is in the pudding my friends mmmm pudding

also the hair you were worried about looks better :)

Dreadski
01-07-2010, 08:50 PM
For that ret mod you spoke about, is there something for prot warriors that could do the same? It seems like a good priority system and "hit the sexiest lit up button" would maximize threat and tank dps for sure.

BeautiPhil
01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Lore,

While leading a raid, what are some things you look for when you are deciding on adapting the strategy? It seems as though there is a lot of grey area between learning the mechanic and beating a dead horse.

Volador
01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
For that ret mod you spoke about, is there something for prot warriors that could do the same? It seems like a good priority system and "hit the sexiest lit up button" would maximize threat and tank dps for sure.

There's spellflash, it makes the proper ability flash, but you still have to focus on your action bars. I haven't found one for warrior tanking other than that one. Although, I haven't looked hard for one.

Crober
01-08-2010, 02:01 AM
We keep seeing the guitar case in the background. When do we get to see Lore play?

Wani
01-08-2010, 03:05 AM
We keep seeing the guitar case in the background. When do we get to see Lore play?

Yes, this. Play something!

Also, I do have to say, the Icecrown trash is without a doubt, the most fun trash I've ever seen. Excellent work on Blizzard's part. :D

First week in Icecrown, we start clearing the trash before Marrowgar. I'm like "Oh man, this trash is boring :( Oh well, nearly at the boss OH GOD WHAT IS THAT GIANT SKELTON THING AND WHY ARE THERE FOUR OF THEM ARGH THEY'RE TEARING US APART". Needless to say, we wiped on Deathbound Wards. :D All of 'em. At once. :D Deathwhisper's trash is pretty generic, and Gunship Battle's trash made me want to yell "Hah! Suck on that Faction Champs!"
But oh man, Wednesday night, going into Plagueworks for the first time. Much much fun to be had there. Pull the Val'kyr. Oops, we pulled two. Oh well, how tough can they be? ... Why are there clones of us? Argh! They're healing it! Help!
Aaaand another trash wipe :D
Anyway, we get past them after we realise that one at a time probably works better, so we don't get swamped with healers... We get up to the actual wing! Oh hey! Big doggy! It looks like Gluth! It's Mortal Striking me! Argh! It is Gluth! Two of them!
Took us a while before we found out how to only pull one at a time. :(

Only bad part about this trash though is the really short respawn timer. Or, I think it is. :/ What, two hours or so?

But I digress. Lore. Guitar solo please. :D

Casz
01-08-2010, 03:32 AM

Faceroller : WoWInterface Downloads : Beta-version AddOns (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info14924-Faceroller.html)

There you go :D

krilz
01-08-2010, 07:57 AM
As a raid leader/officer; I totally agree with what you're saying. If everyone in your raid stays positive it gives such a good atmosphere that when/if you wipe, people will go "what happened? oh, that? nevermind, let's fix it and then we'll down this sucker" instead of QQing all night long about how shitty somebody is. We're all on the same boat, trying to have fun and down new bosses and as long we see steady progress, we'll keep bashing our head to it, knowing that it'll go down somehow. Also, I love it when people come to me complaining about stuff and giving constructive critisizm about how to improve it. It makes my life so much easier in the game.

Destruyen
01-08-2010, 08:34 AM
the lich king has naxx raid bosses for trash :)

so far it's not a letdown at all, epic bosses and epic trash. after seeing stinky and precious i can't wait to see what other surprises blizz has with trash in the other wings.

i like the way festergut 25 is tuned, even if we wiped twice on him before downing him. i really enjoyed it. rotface on the other hand, is a fight where the type of addon you mentioned to "babysit" your rotation comes in handy. heavy movement fights where you have to be looking around to see where to drop an ooze or move out of the slime spray. i've personally been using powerauras set up in a left-to-right priority list displaying big icons of abilities since ulduar and it's come in handy on many fights.

keep up the awesome marmots lore, the past 2 have been the best.

Furiouz
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Great Video Lore, I see your point in alot of the addons you talk about in the video, and tbh. its not nooby to have addons helping you, because if it can improve your average raid performance its actually the except opposite of nooby, I am pretty sure any decent raider that knows what he/she is talking about will agree with me about this :D Keep the Good work going and i love your little funny inputs :D

Also, I know the feeling about people complaining to me about things that are complete obvious they are getting mad about, it's not like i dont get mad if we wipe on a boss because someone have failed, but I just try to say to myself "Ok what was the problem there? What can we do so that it do not happen next time?" and then I take care of it :) After that is fixed I say "Ok ladies and gents, lets focus and we will be able to down it this time! :D"

Ess
01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I think it's a bit silly to say that addon is noobish. In that same regard, all the healing addons that show a number for health lost is noobish, or like decursive is noobish because it helps you recognize and cleanse someone. But it's not. It's simply improving efficiency for whatever your skill level is.

You're doing a great job Lore! Love your videos. Keep it up!

"BLAAWAAHAHHAHAHAA!" :D

Verminoth
01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Always having to clarify your statements takes too much time away from the message.

My suggestion is for you to be (somewhat) unconcerned about possible other perspectives on things when you're talking because:
1) You're the author of the movie, and you're supposed to show your perspective.
2) It takes time away from completely addressing the issue.

You spend a lot of time saying "I don't mean this" or "I don't mean that".
I think if you read up on best speakers out there, they wouldn't get bogged down too much in doubting what they say or hyper-clarifying it for the audience.

Just a suggestion, I am by no means an expert in the field, just something I noticed and after seeing some great personal speakers, I noticed that this is something that they do.

Let's keep these videos rolling :-)

Petninja
01-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure that it's rhyming if you use the exact same word twice...

BLLAAAAARWRWRWRGGHAHHHAHHHHH!

Sukide
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure that it's rhyming if you use the exact same word twice...

There's a time and a place
for your serious face.

zevah
01-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Loved this one!... I'm translating it to spanish and posting it in my guild forum, thank you very much Lore!!! =D

Teggon
01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks Lore for another entertaining and informative Marmot.

Its definately been benificial as my friends and I as we have started our own guild. Its given us a wealth of information and insight what we need to do and how we should go about getting the best from our members.

I'd particularly like to hear you speak about Raid Leading. I'm finding this a very tough job as people look to you for guidance and instruction. It's particularly tough when you haven't experienced the fights yourself, thank god for tank spots in depth video guides to all the content. I suppose with more experience this will come but I'd be very interested in what your thoughts on what makes a good raid leader and how to become one.

Lakshata
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I for one think next week should talk about add-ons

Lifeless
01-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I really dont know what to do about the guild im in. I was told when I apped that there was a holy paladin spot open and that they needed one badly. Its been 3 weeks since my invite into guild and I have been benched every raid night, so a total of 12 days.

What should I do?

W01ph
01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
1: Damn you Lore and your little flash of a message at the end of these...
2: Does Lore have his own youtube chan? If so, I wanna find it..

Otherwise, I'm GM of my own guild, and Primary RL, these have been very informative, and I'm glad for anything that helps make my job just a little bit easier. TY Lore

flinstone100
03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Hey there, have been trying to view weekly marmot episode 11 being a good raider but wherever i find this video it say its private and not viewable. Can someone help me with this plz ? ; )

Scraddog
07-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Snap trying to use this for the principles on being a good raider explained here and finding that it is set to Private on youtube.

anything someone could help with on this one?