PDA

View Full Version : Icecrown Putricide

Ciderhelm
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
You can find a guide to the heroic version of this encounter here (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?63640-Icecrown-Putricide-Hard)!

A4m8A7U-enQ

-6bmrQPd2uE

uCLrlyyXD6I

35p21sdb4us

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Just as a point of clarification. The Professor Putricide encounter is working as intended. You are only allowed one abomination up at any given time in both 10 player and 25 player modes.

Welcome back to the icecrown raid guide, my name is darksend and in this video I will be showing you our strategy for the 25 man version of professor putricide, the final boss in the plaugeworks.

If you'd like more information about this encounter or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right to be automatically notified as we release movies. Finally, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more about this service!

This is the first of 4 encounters in the instance which will share attempts as later gates become unlocked. As of right now however, you are limited to only 10 attempts.

Professor putricide is a three phase fight. Three tanks will be required required for this strategy in phase 3. We also used 6 healers for this encounter.

Phase 1 will last until 80%.

The first ability he will use is slime puddle, which will spawn a growing green puddle under 2 random raid members. One player, preferably one of the offtanks as they have very little to do until phase 3, will run to the table and drink a potion to become an abom. The abom will deal constant aoe raid damage but is also the only way to prevent the puddles from completely filling the room, as the abombs primary ability is to drink the puddles. Be careful not to drink them to fast, as you need to let them get big enough to get at least 13 drinks off in order to help counter putricides next ability.

Putricide will cast unstable experiment right before he is about to spawn one of two types of adds. They always alternate and the first one will always be the green one, also know as a volatile ooze. These adds will target a random raid member and immobilize them. It will then move towards that player at great speed. The abom's second ability is to slow the ooze by 50% for 20 seconds. These adds must be killed, because if they reach the played they will explode for significant damage as well as do a knockaway. Should this happen, right before it is about to hit stack up on that person as the damage is split between the people it hits and pick a new target to immobilize. You can still cast and perform all your normal abilities while targeted. This includes vanish, divine shield, iceblock, and fiegn death, all of which will cause the ooze to cast on a new target. The way we counter this is by moving to the left side, or the orange side, of the room as the green will always spawn on the right. As soon as it becomes targetable we have all of our walocks, mages, and hunters move to max range and begin killing it. When it picks a target we then have everyone else assist also. Should it target one of those hunters mages or warlocks they will blink, use a portal, or feign to not get blown up.

The second time he casts unstable experiment he will spawn a gas cloud. This not actually a cloud however it is simply another type of ooze, also know as the orange slime.The abom must also slow these adds as well. Gas clouds will debuff a random raid member with a 10 stack of gaseous bloat. The stack will tick down every 2 seconds and when it ticks off it will stop and target a new player. Should it reach the player it will explode and deal raid damage based on how many stacks were left on the person. Since you can move while being chased by this add we have all ranged immediatly begin attack with melee following as soon as it picks a target. Melee should be ready to switch off around 2 stacks remaining as to not get targeted if it does not die in time. The person being chased needs heavy heals during this time the debuff deals pretty significant damage.

Also because you can move while being chased by the gas cloud, notice we do not move nearly as far to the right side of the room as we do the left. This makes the aboms job noticably easier as they have less ground to cover as well as keeping the puddles closer together if not always almost on top of each other.

Neither of these adds can target putricides main agro target and both persist into phase 2, but not phase 3.

at 80 and 35%, putricide will cast tear gas, stunning everything in the room, including gas clouds and volatile oozes, for 20 seconds. Because of this, it is much more important to push when there are no slime puddles up as opposed to waiting till just after one of the adds is killed. Comminucate if you are close to a transition and have dps stop around 83%, have the abom eat the clouds, and push phase 2. Simply have the person hold off on the slow until tear gas ends.

He will gain 2 new abilities in this phase. The first is the choking gas trap. He will drop 2 traps in melee range that look like orange flasks. They will give anyone who walks over them a 75% hit reduction debuff for 15 seconds. After 15-20 seconds they will explode for about 15K damage, knocking back anyone within 10 yards as well as giving them another 75% hit reduction debuff this time for 20 seconds.

The second is malleable goo, this is the ranged equivilent to the choking traps. As long as there are enough people at ranged, putricide will pick 2 random people at range and hurl 2 bouncey balls at them. They have a decent travel time and they always travel in a straight line so they are decently easy to avoid. When it lands, anyone in the area will get hit for about 15K damage and have attack and casting speeds slowed by 200%.

Phase two just continues the back and forth killing of the different types off adds while avoiding the two new traps, while the abom continues to drink up all the green puddles until 35%.

Melee, do not try to milk extra boss damage after a green add has spawned. If it targets you, most likely you will be in the middle of the orange traps, and when the add explodes combined with the trap it will likely kill everyone nearby. Likewise do not kite the boss through the ranged because there is the change that malleable goo will target the melee, having the same effect.

At 35 as I said before another tear gas will go out. The adds will stop but the puddles, traps, and goo will all still need to be avoided. He will also being hitting much harder and faster, as he gains a buff called mutated strength. The tank should run to the door as far away from the table as possible, giving as much dps time before the first debuff is applied.

The reason you use three tanks is because mutated plauge will heal putricide when it falls off for 1.7 million per stack the tank had. This is for any reason, tank death, bubbling it off, and also surprisingly when it just falls off naturally. not only Because at 5 stacks the tank will be aoeing the raid for about 12-15K damage a second but also to make sure each tank had a debuff refreshed to make sure he would not heal, we decided to let each tank get 2 stacks before the next one would taunt, then again on the next one for a total of 3, then hopefully having the boss dead before all tanks had 4.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Good luck.

Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the normal mode 10-man version of the Professor Putricide encounter. Currently you only get 10 attempts per raid lockout period to kill this boss.

A raid setup of 2 tanks, 2-3 healers and 5-6 dps is recommended.

This is a three-phase encounter and In its 10-man version, Putricide has 9.76 million combined health. The first phase change occurs around 80% and the second phase change occurs at 35%. On each phase change you get a debuff called "Tear Gas" that stuns you for the duration of Putricide running towards his table and guzzling potions.

This fight is by and large kited in all three phases and there's a lot of movement and raid awareness required from each raid member. Before the fight starts, assign one person in your raid group (preferably the Offtank) to possess an abombination to help you throughout the first two phases of the fight. Having an abomination active will make your raid take constant AoE damage, but you need them to counteract Putricide's various mechanics. To become an abomination, you need to click on the table behind Putricide.

The most obvious mechanic and a constant throughout all three phases are the ooze piles that Putricide will toss at random players. He will toss out two of those at a time that land at the selected raid member's feet and deal around 4k damage per second to anyone standing in them. The main task of the person controlling the abomination is to eat those slime puddles to reduce their size and keep the ground free of ooze. Eating an ooze pile gives the abomination 4 energy for another very important ability that I'll cover in a minute.

During the first two phases, Putricide will alternately summon two types of adds - Volatile Oozes and Gas Clouds. When this happens, the emote "Professor Putricide begins to cast Unstable Experiment!" will show up on your screen, and, depending on which type of add he's summoning, you'll either see a brown steam or a green stream of slime appear from one of the tubes in his lab. The first add he summons in every fight will be a slime. Oozes always appear on the north side of the room, gas clouds from the south.

Volatile oozes will, after spawning, fixate on a target and root it in place while moving towards it at pretty quick pace. Should an ooze not be defeated before reaching its target, it will explode, dealing 70k damage shared between all targets within 10 yards of the originally targetted player and knocking them back. Here's where another ability of the abomination comes in handy - oozes as well as gas clouds can have their movement speed slowed by 50%, which gives you substantially more time to defeat the ooze before it detonates.

Gas clouds will also fixate on a player after spawning, but instead of rooting it in place, it will place a debuff on the selected player that gives him or her 10 stacks of gaseous bloat. Every 2 seconds, some minor damage will be inflicted to the player and one stack of the debuff will drop off. If the cloud has not reached its target within 20 seconds, the debuff will disappear and it will pick a new target to apply the debuff to and chase until killed. Should it reach its target before all stacks are dropped off, it will inflict raidwide damage depending on the amount of debuff stacks left. It hurts, it really really does.

Both add types should be slowed down as soon as they pop and since you already know that the very first experiment will be an ooze spawning at the north side of the room, you should position your raid accordingly at the south side of the room. Ranged can start burning it as soon as it pops, and once it picks a target melee should also join. As you can see well in this video, if you fail to kill the ooze before it reaches its target, it will pick another one and repeat the process, so burning adds always has utmost priority.

The last mechanic you get introduced to in the first phase is gas bombs. Putricide will throw those out in sets of two, and standing on them will - how novel - make you explode. They look like brown little flasks on the ground, so avoid them at all costs.

Once he reaches 80% health, Putricide will stun the raid, run to his desk and grow two tentacles. Those basically translate to another ability he gains in phase two - malleable goo. This basically hurls a portable slime teddy bear through the air at the area a randomly targetted player stands in and will, after travel time, land and anyone still remaining in the area will take around 15k damage and have their casting and attack speed slowed by 200% for 15 seconds. Malleable Goo prefers ranged targets, but will target melee if no one is at a range.

All mechanics from phase 1 still continue on along with malleable goo until you hit phase three at 35%. Once again Putricide will run to his table and guzzle down a potion, becoming even more mutated and this time gaining a buff called Mutated Strength, which gives him a 50% damage and attack speed bonus. Attacks made against him will also cause him to stack up Mutated Plague on your tank, which inflicts raidwide damage depending on the number of stacks. We found 6 stacks to be an instant raid wipe, so to counteract that we had our main tank and offtank taunt off of each other so neither of them reached more than 4 stacks, which was still a very healable dot.

You lose the abomination once you trigger phase three, which is why it's an excellent idea to have your offtank control it since he'd just be useless up until that point. There will be no more oozes or gas clouds spawning either, but malleable goo and gas bombs still happen. Also, since you lose the abomination to eat slime off the ground, this phase needs to go fast or you'll get overrun by expanding slime. This kind of acts like soft enrage timer similiar to the Lady Vashj encounter in Serpentshrine Cavern. Make sure to save all your cooldowns for this last part and keep moving, paying attention to the stuff Putricide will throw at you and you have yourselves a kill!

Good luck!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!

Arianne
01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Choking Gas and Malleable Goo do not happen until phase 2. One arm tentacle does each one.

Mutated Plague is an on melee attack proc with an ICD of 10 seconds.

Kazeyonoma
01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Video up!

Expect HQ shortly!

Darksend
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Just killed him in 10, I must say that is one of the most fun fights I have seen in a while.

TERRIBLE fight to have attempts on from a 25 man perspective but a very well done fight by blizzard at least for 10.

Azztech
01-07-2010, 12:33 AM
I got 2 questions about this encounter:
1. What's the hp on both 10man and 25man of the Volatile Oozes and Gas Clouds?
2. What's the name of the ability that the boss does, which require moving the boss from that spot(the actual kiting)?

Thanks in advance, and gz for the kill.

Kazeyonoma
01-07-2010, 01:40 AM
we had to stop after 3 attempts due to it being late for some raiders, but agreed very fun fight, looking forward to next raid night to finish him off! ;]

Aliena
01-07-2010, 01:59 AM
I got 2 questions about this encounter:
1. What's the hp on both 10man and 25man of the Volatile Oozes and Gas Clouds?
2. What's the name of the ability that the boss does, which require moving the boss from that spot(the actual kiting)?

Thanks in advance, and gz for the kill.

I think it was 300k.

The poison bottles he throws out require an immidate position change, but you keep having to move cause of slime puddles and adds and malleable goo anyway.

MonkH
01-07-2010, 03:22 AM
bet your tanks are happy 2 sick tanking items dropped :D

Delmonte
01-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Hey, I can't get this video to play, been trying most of yesterday and today and in youtube (just getting a black screen for ages). Is that just a capacity issue? Just wondering if I need to just wait or if there's something else going on, never had a problem with any other vids. Many thanks for putting it (and all the other vids) up anyway, hope I can watch it soon.

Fizzlebeard
01-07-2010, 03:56 AM
How exactly are people handling the range on the adds? Do you get as far away from their spawn positions as possible, then move in after they picked a target? Or stand on max range and nuke right when they spawn?

Flamedurant
01-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Hi, as always thx for the great videos, but atm this one isn't working. Same issue as the poster above.

Charybdis
01-07-2010, 06:50 AM
changing the normal/hd quality resolves the black screen for me atleast

Darksend
01-07-2010, 06:55 AM
How exactly are people handling the range on the adds? Do you get as far away from their spawn positions as possible, then move in after they picked a target? Or stand on max range and nuke right when they spawn?

We do not attack until it has a target

Xuthal
01-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Thank you as always to Aliena and the tankspot team.

One point of detail: you mention that the first spawn is always a Volatile Ooze; are the spawns always random thereafter or do they alternate consistently between Volatile Ooze and Gas Clouds?

Xu

haines
01-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi all, long time reader first time poster here

Got to him last night on 25-man after killing Festergut with very little idea of what to expect outside of what Aliena had said here. Incredible fight overall, excellent job by Blizzard on it; it's loads of fun and a very heavy movement fight (as seen in the video) which is the kind I really like. Great guide, really helped figure out some of the abilities.

One point of detail: you mention that the first spawn is always a Volatile Ooze; are the spawns always random thereafter or do they alternate consistently between Volatile Ooze and Gas Clouds?It seemed to alternate reliably last night in our 4 attempts. Ooze -> Cloud -> Ooze -> Cloud was what we saw every attempt.

Thork
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Hello :)

We tried out this boss last night in 10man and we had healers saying that the target that Gas Cloud targetted took very varied damage. Sometimes it was ticks of 1200 and sometimes ticks of 12k->10k->8k etc. Did anyone else experience something like this? Or did we do something wrong? :)

Olindo
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I was wondering because i havn't been to him yet but from watching the video and theorycrafting. Is it possible to simply eat the dmg from a Green blob. Having all the dps maintain on Putricide until the explosion. Of course everyone would have to be grouped together so the dmg isn't too great. Also brown ones would be killed. Only reason I am even thinking about this is that even when the green one was focused down it still made it to the target fairly often, making you eat the explosion. Just some thoughts I've had.

Olindo

ZaneOSAK
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I was wondering because i havn't been to him yet but from watching the video and theorycrafting. Is it possible to simply eat the dmg from a Green blob. Having all the dps maintain on Putricide until the explosion. Of course everyone would have to be grouped together so the dmg isn't too great. Also brown ones would be killed. Only reason I am even thinking about this is that even when the green one was focused down it still made it to the target fairly often, making you eat the explosion. Just some thoughts I've had.

Olindo

I'm pretty sure from watching Paragon's kill video when they reach their target they do not die, they just pick a new target to chase (the green oozes) so you have to kill them.

Kazeyonoma
01-07-2010, 01:51 PM
yes as Zane states, if you don't kill them they just pick new targets, the danger is when you stack up, and get exploded, he can then pick a target that is now a) close to him and b) far from the rest of your raid post explosion. That means death, so the sooner you kill him the less this happens.

Likewise trying to manage anything more than 1 add at a time would be ill-advised if not impossible (both pick the same target = raid wipe.

Xlight
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
OK we got to Professor Putricide tonight and had 4 attempts on him, but didn't want to waste further attempts as we were having problems with the abominations eating the ooze piles. Both me and our druid tank had attempts at being the abomination and both of us had the same problem. We found we could eat for a bit and a few seconds later eat again, but neither of us could actually completely consume the puddle. When I was doing it I would find I could use the eat ability and sometimes use it again straight away....other times it would be greyed out and I would have to wait some seceonds before being able to use it again (even though it wasn't showing as on a cooldown, just showing as "greyed out"). I tried standing next to the puddle, standing just in the edge of it and standing right in the middle of it, but nothing seemed to work properly and neither of us could completely eat the whole thing. In the mean time all the other ooze piles were growing (even the one we were trying to eat) and we just couldn't get anywhere and got overrun by ooze. Has anyone else noticed this? All the videos I've seen they abominations seem to have no problem gobbling it up lol.

Edit: By the way it was on 10 man.

maniac
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Hello :)

We tried out this boss last night in 10man and we had healers saying that the target that Gas Cloud targetted took very varied damage. Sometimes it was ticks of 1200 and sometimes ticks of 12k->10k->8k etc. Did anyone else experience something like this? Or did we do something wrong? :)

We had exactly the same problem and wasted lots of attempts due to this. If we didnt have 2 healers spamming the target it would die if it took a big tick and this would also cause healing to fall behind else where. We werent doing anything wrong at all and the target was taking the big ticks sometimes at the start when it got fixated or towards the end and at no time was the person in trouble of being caught by the gas cloud. This was very frustrating as we could have downed the boss. Does anyone know if this was a bug at all or do we have to deal with it in another way, although I dont see how with the lack of cooldowns available in 10 mans.

Everything else in the fight was going perfectly for us.

Mindfreek
01-07-2010, 11:48 PM
OK we got to Professor Putricide tonight and had 4 attempts on him, but didn't want to waste further attempts as we were having problems with the abominations eating the ooze piles. Both me and our druid tank had attempts at being the abomination and both of us had the same problem. We found we could eat for a bit and a few seconds later eat again, but neither of us could actually completely consume the puddle. When I was doing it I would find I could use the eat ability and sometimes use it again straight away....other times it would be greyed out and I would have to wait some seceonds before being able to use it again (even though it wasn't showing as on a cooldown, just showing as "greyed out"). I tried standing next to the puddle, standing just in the edge of it and standing right in the middle of it, but nothing seemed to work properly and neither of us could completely eat the whole thing. In the mean time all the other ooze piles were growing (even the one we were trying to eat) and we just couldn't get anywhere and got overrun by ooze. Has anyone else noticed this? All the videos I've seen they abominations seem to have no problem gobbling it up lol.

We also attempted 25 man tonight and the tank was saying that he could not drink very often and the ability was appearing to be on CD and could not keep up with the pools appearing. Does it have a CD or is he missing something like maybe after drinking one pool he needs to use an ability before being able to drink another? Also what do you do with the slimes that appear in the air in phase 2? is ranged just supposed to DPS them down just like the other adds?

Meche
01-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Quick question to anyone with phase 3 experience. What exactly is it that heals putricide during the last phase? Got owned on our sure kill with him healing for 2.4 mil over 3 tics.

(Mutated Plague - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=72745))

Kylis
01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
How long exactly does Mutated Plague last?

intrex
01-08-2010, 03:27 AM
The video won't load for me i don't know why but when i press play it just comes up with the loading icon and nothing happens... i can't load festergut or rotface 25 man videos either because of the same problem. Does anybody know why by any chance?

Aliena
01-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Quick question to anyone with phase 3 experience. What exactly is it that heals putricide during the last phase? Got owned on our sure kill with him healing for 2.4 mil over 3 tics.

(Mutated Plague - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=72745))

Yeah, mutated plague. That's why you switch off tanks, you don't want this to stack high, ever.

maniac
01-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Well it seems looking at the spell:

Mutated Plague
Unlimited range
InstantThe Mutated Plague spreads to Professor Putricide, healing him for 300000 for each stack of Mutated Plague that was on the target.

Perhaps your tank died or the stack fell off the first tank that cause this to happen.

Meche
01-08-2010, 05:41 AM
So to carify, the point of switching tanks is that the debuff that stacks up on the MT deals periodic damage to the raid. If the stack goes too high it becomes impossible to outheal.

Tankspots tactic suggest changing tank after 4 stacks to keep the raid damage low enough. It mentions nothing about healing (on the boss) at all as far as I can see.

If indeed it is correct that Putricide heals when the debuff expires or a tank dies I guess it would be important to change back to the first tank before the debuff runs out, no? In that case that would quite clearly be the limiting factor and not the spreading ooze stated in the guide. In addition, trying to limit the stacks to 4 (by letting them run out) would even be counterproductive and as such the guide would be quite misleading.

However, if your damage is high enough so that the boss dies before your second tank goes over 4 stacks you never encounter this problem.

Vaelia
01-08-2010, 06:04 AM
No. Do not let the debuff stack to 4 before swapping. Have the tanks swap off each other after each one gets a debuff, back and forth. Even if the boss goes taunt immune for a few seconds it's no big deal, just taunt back when you can. You never, ever, ever want a situation where one tank has a lot of stacks and another has none. That is just unnecessary extra raid damage.

This applies for 25-man as well and is how we got our kill last night. We used three tanks, each one taunting after the previous had gotten a stack. Several of the guilds killing him used two tanks but for the extremely vast majority you'll want to use three until you completely overgear the encounter.

Note, the debuff he places on the tanks will cause the boss to heal if either the tank dies OR the debuff falls off.

Meche
01-08-2010, 06:13 AM
In that case I strongly suggest someone edits the guide to point that out.

I guess I got myself to blame for not checking up on it in the logs between the tries but just from reading this guide it can easily be interpreted as such as you should never let it go above 4 on any tank, and by waiting for that specifically, you ruin an almost guaranteed kill (as I did last night).

Vaelia
01-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Yup. It's a nice little simple math trick that makes the difference. It takes about 90 seconds before the room is completely overrun and you're more than likely going to be pushing it. Debuff goes out every 10 seconds and each stack doubles the raid damage the tank does. So, for 9 theoretical stacks (in 25-man) you're left with either 4/5 with two tanks or 3/3/3 with three tanks.

This is what (I believe) the damage turns out per stack every 3 seconds. Base damage I'm not sure of (I believe 200), but it will double every time so the math works out anyway.

1 Stack - 200
2 Stack - 400
3 Stack - 800
4 Stack - 1600
5 Stack - 3200

So, with two tanks taking a 4/5 split, that's 4800 damage to the raid every three seconds in addition to everything else going along. With three tanks taking 3/3/3, that's only 2400 damage. Additionally, if you were waiting for 4 stacks to tank that means you're taking 200/400/800/1600/1800 for the first minute of the fight rather than 200/400/600/800/1000 (in 25 with three tanks). Yes, it's less by a moderate amount, but with everything else going on it makes a huge difference.

Vaelia
01-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Also note that clean phase transitions are absolutely vital. You want your Abom to be on the ball and you need to make sure that there is at max only one (preferably small) slime pool whenever he stuns the raid otherwise you're going to be overrun. On one of our attempts he got pushed over right after he spawned two new pools and (I was controlling the abom) there was simply no way I could catch back up and pools took over the room.

Meche
01-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I agree to the above as well. Going into phase 2 (and even more so phase 3) with more than one somewhat small pool is pretty much a wipe.

Additionally I can add that it is actually possible to be too efficient in cleaning up the first goo. Our abom-controler managed to eat up both the initial pools so fast that he ended up with less than 50 energy before the first blob spawned (and as such could not slow it).

Xlight
01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Just wanted to bump the issue about problems Mindfreek and I mentioned. Is there anything anyone can add to this? Seems like somehow we are missing something...but we are continuing the raid tonight with 6 attempts remaining and don't want to waste tries on the same problem.

Vaelia
01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Just wanted to bump the issue about problems Mindfreek and I mentioned. Is there anything anyone can add to this? Seems like somehow we are missing something...but we are continuing the raid tonight with 6 attempts remaining and don't want to waste tries on the same problem.

This is because your aboms are not standing in the right spot. You need to be dead center in the puddle. If there's slime and you can't eat it, shift positioning until you can.

luv2tank
01-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I am having a difficult time on the abom personally. The camera angle is quite fast at times and seems a big herky jerky. I know i need more attempts on it but can anyone offer some extra advice for controlling them a little better or just like things you may have noticed help when controlling an abom.

thanks

Arianne
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Abom PoV video:

YouTube - Demise Professor Putricide 10 man first kill HD Abomination pov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmosOXzPmCc&feature=player_embedded)

This guy gets sorta lucky though on the first spawns because he has to run a bit to get to them and therefore they grow enough to give him 50 energy even with him spamming the Eat Ooze cooldown.

Stand on the neon green part. Don't move after you get into position because the server updates the positioning of the abom in ticks (ie: every 3 seconds or so).

Jamor
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Anyone else having trouble viewing the video? I tried to watch it, but it never loads. The other two vids on the new bosses both worked fine for me.

Filaura
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Dear Aliena!

I have been watching tankspot for a while now. Congradulation on all the videos you guys did, its really helpfull and appreciate. My question here is not related to the Professor fight but more about the addons you are using. I notice you are a priest wich I am and really like what I see in your screen. Can you make a list of the addons you are using please?

Thanks in advance and keep up your good work to all the tankspot team.. Love you all :D

Fil

Kazeyonoma
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Dear Aliena!

I have been watching tankspot for a while now. Congradulation on all the videos you guys did, its really helpfull and appreciate. My question here is not related to the Professor fight but more about the addons you are using. I notice you are a priest wich I am and really like what I see in your screen. Can you make a list of the addons you are using please?

Thanks in advance and keep up your good work to all the tankspot team.. Love you all :D

Fil

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/54528-alienas-ui.html

luv2tank
01-09-2010, 12:43 AM
@Arianne

ty so much for the abom pov video-

Jogre
01-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Thank you for the video, as always appreciate all the effort put in around here.

Aside from buggy things like only getting 1 puddle at a time we had a few things happen that gibbed us pretty bad in the 10M version of this encounter.

1. Whoever was stunned by the slime, would then get targeted with a puddle. Now they're taking the damage from the slime stun, and puddle at the same time. Plus the whole raid has to stand in the puddle to group up for the explosion.
2. Had someone get stunned by the slime right as PP targeted her with malleable goo...unable to move she was promptly blown up by the goo.
3. The flasks would spawn right beneath the boss. Extremely difficult to see. Boom. A melee down. (as I was healing I can't verify this, going on word of mouth from our melee)

While #3 could just be a difficult mechanic we failed at, 1 and 2 happened repeatedly and were extremely frustrating, particularly 2 since it is unsurvivable. Does anyone have and tips or tricks for dealing with these parts of the encounter? I feel like there's something I'm missing here as unavoidable deaths don't seem a likely encounter mechanic.

Narm
01-09-2010, 05:48 AM
I saw the video of 10 man Professor Putricide encounter u were covering. I have a questinon to so much of the taktics u use but about UI you use. I really loved the way it looks Im looking for good interface myselve. could you tell me the name of it or where I can download it please. And are the icones showing you that the prayer of manding and circle of healing are of cooldown part of your UI or some addon ?

Thank you for the answer and good luck!

swelt
01-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Thank you for the video, as always appreciate all the effort put in around here.

Aside from buggy things like only getting 1 puddle at a time we had a few things happen that gibbed us pretty bad in the 10M version of this encounter.

1. Whoever was stunned by the slime, would then get targeted with a puddle. Now they're taking the damage from the slime stun, and puddle at the same time. Plus the whole raid has to stand in the puddle to group up for the explosion.
2. Had someone get stunned by the slime right as PP targeted her with malleable goo...unable to move she was promptly blown up by the goo.
3. The flasks would spawn right beneath the boss. Extremely difficult to see. Boom. A melee down. (as I was healing I can't verify this, going on word of mouth from our melee)

While #3 could just be a difficult mechanic we failed at, 1 and 2 happened repeatedly and were extremely frustrating, particularly 2 since it is unsurvivable. Does anyone have and tips or tricks for dealing with these parts of the encounter? I feel like there's something I'm missing here as unavoidable deaths don't seem a likely encounter mechanic.

We just stopped with 4 attempts remaining and this is exactly what I felt about our progress so far. I feel as though there is something smarter we could be doing with the movement around the room that would help mitigate against this, but I can't put my finger on it. Would also really appreciate tips/tricks.

Pyroast
01-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Gotta love 25 man racism.

Yon
01-09-2010, 09:49 AM

This is unfortunate but shouldn't really result in a death; Malleable Goo hit me and my raid members for 9000-12000 on average which should be outhealable. Also remember that Malleable Goo, like many of Putricide's other spells, is shadowstorm damage so try to keep both a shadow resistance and nature resistance buff in the raid.

Thegreatme
01-09-2010, 10:00 AM

1) unfortunately I think this is just a RNG element of the fight, and will simply just need to be healed thru.
2)Again, I think that's just really unlucky RNG, I don't remember that ever happening to my guild while doing the fight.
3) the bombs suck. a lot. I've been trying to figure out exactly how dropping them works. this is my best guess thus far:

the bombs will drop directly to his sides, on the edge of his animation (IE as far out as his 2 extra arms go). now his hit box is huge, and when ever that starts to clip in to a wall, it will start pushing the location that the bombs spawn inward, making your melee much more likely to get the debuff.

as for getting hit by the explosion I didn't really see people have a hard time with that. you have 10 seconds to make sure you are far enough away. you just need to make sure your tank knows that bombs have been dropped and that he needs to move the boss. our tank would make a sort of figure 8 pattern for moving the boss. it basically worked like drag him to a corner, bombs spawn, move him. experiment spawns move him to the other side (bombs might spawn while moving him over). then repeat

Xlight
01-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks very much Arianne for the Abomination POV video. The abomination controller in that video did an awesome job...so much time helping dps the adds :D

Also this separate thread helped alot:

www.tankspot.com/forums/f128/61008-icc-p...sor-putricide-3.html (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f128/61008-icc-professor-putricide-3.html)

for understanding the abomination mechanics. We didn't down him, but still managed some decent progress as opposed to endless growing of ooze piles :P

Gorgamesh
01-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I can't see Darksends video, YouTube says it's private :/.

Akeber
01-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Got him last night on ten man with two attempts remaining, 2 heals, 2 tanks, 6 dps (one was our resto shammy as ele). I was controlling the abom.

The abom's melee swing/slash abiltiy damage is significant, much more than just applying the debuff. As long as you're keeping the slime pools under control, be standing where the next add will spawn so you can start dpsing even before it picks a target. As was previously mentioned, wait until it's almost done it's targeting cast before applying the slow debuff. I was doing 1/2 to 2/3 of our destro warlock's damage to adds, and he's no slouch.

With six dps and me on the abom, we managed to kill many of the green adds before they reached thier first target.

oxyalive
01-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I can't see Darksends video either, YouTube says it's private :/.
Can we know the reason. Since we would like to let our guild watch it.

LoRaH
01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Apparently, there was a problem with someone using a racial slur in the guild chat. Still, imho its a bad decision to just remove the video now. Put a colored box over it (like you did), add a comment you are aware of the problem (like you did) and remove it as soon as you prepared a version with the chat blurred out. People have seen the video already and nothing is going to remove that from the internets. Your approach is just making more people feeling pissed :)

Zellviren
01-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Alas, our survival hunter had connection problems all night and some of our attempts suffered as a result. In saying that, I have a couple of things to help you avoid wasting attempts needlessly.

1) On the first pull, your healers need to know that the abomination appears (at least on Grid) as a debuff and can be dispelled. Yep, our priest kept dispelling the abomination every time the off tank possessed it on our first try. Oops.

2) The adds seem to alternate, and the green one is where you really have to be on the ball. We started handling it by moving to the opposite side of the room once an add had gone down, giving us maximum time to bring it down. In addition to that, your ranged people should feel free to go at it right away as, even if a ranged person is picked, you have time to react and the extra DPS is really helpful. If your abomination is on the ball, he should also help with bringing it down.

That said, we're back tomorrow night to finish him off in our last four attempts. It's an awesome and perfectly tuned fight, as they all are in the Plagueworks, but I'm pretty confident.

Baervar
01-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Big question: do the stacks in p3 fall off progressively ? Or do tanks just try to go for more and more stacks (i.e. tank1 takes a stack, tank2 one, tank1 takes him again for 2 stacks, tank2 for 3, etc). This really seems unclear - if he heals when it falls off completely do you just take more and more or wait for the first 2 stacks to fall off while keeping one before you taunt back (if possible).

P.S. 25 man movie seems to be unavailable for me. I get a "this movie is private" message every time i try to watch it.

Grombrindal
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
My understanding is that you never want the stack to drop off as it will heal him if it does. Ideally you should switch tanks on each stack keeping everyones stack as low as possible. At least that's what I read, I haven't done the fight yet myself... heh...

Grom

Splug
01-11-2010, 11:14 AM
1) This can be controlled by having your abomination player be sure to eat slimes near the rooted player first. The rooted player will have to take the slime damage, but by the time the ooze gets close you should have eaten the slime. You don't need to stack people on top of the rooted player until just before the ooze gets there. If a slime is spawned on that player right before the ooze reaches the target, then the slime pool will be small enough that you should be able to be clear of the pool and still within range of the 10-yard explosion.
2) This damage, while harsh in 20-man, is still healable. As the tank damage in p1/2 is relatively low, you should have sufficient resources to handle this. The only problem is if two malleable oozes land on the same person simultaneously; then, they die because someone was too clumped up.
3) The latest version of DBM includes an announce for choking gas. They always spawn in melee range, and you have ample time to move before they explode. There's no excuse to stand in a -75% hit debuff and flail away at the boss.

-Splug

Xuthal
01-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Heading into the Plagueworks tonight with still one question lingering regarding P3. Aliena's video states that the MT and OT taunt when the other hits 4 stacks, but never says how long the debuff lasts (and when it is safe again to taunt). Does anyone have a clear and concise answer?

Thanks in advance.

Xu

Darksend
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Never. If the debuff falls off it is a wipe as it will heal him beyond the capacity to out dps before the room is completely overrun with puddles

Havard
01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Heading into the Plagueworks tonight with still one question lingering regarding P3. Aliena's video states that the MT and OT taunt when the other hits 4 stacks, but never says how long the debuff lasts (and when it is safe again to taunt). Does anyone have a clear and concise answer?

Thanks in advance.

Xu

According to Wowhead (I don't have personal experience to back this up) Mutated Plague has a duration of one minute.

Splug
01-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks in advance.

XuThe debuff is a 60 second duration and recast every 10 seconds. If you run three tanks with two debuffs each on the first round of tanking, you do risk the first tank losing his debuff if Putricide is late on the recast.

-Splug

Havard
01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
The debuff is a 60 second duration and recast every 10 seconds. If you run three tanks with two debuffs each on the first round of tanking, you do risk the first tank losing his debuff if Putricide is late on the recast.

-Splug

Would it make sense to to a one stack, taunt, two stack, taunt rotation then? Ie,

Tank 1 gets 1st stack
Tank 2 taunts, gets 1st and 2nd stacks
Tank 3 taunts, gets 1st stack
Tank 1 taunts, gets 2nd and 3rd stack
Et cetera?

Splug
01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
We did 2-2-1, 2-2-1. The intent was to go 2-2-1, 1-2-2, but there was some confusion and a taunt was delayed. Next week, 2-2-1, 1-1-2, 1-1-2 will be the order we use.

The 2-2-2, 2-2-2 plan is infinitely simpler, but you do have three points where if Putricide is slow on applying the debuff, you more or less autowipe.

Also, the room does seem to have a maximum slime pool count, similar to the Mimiron flames having a maximum number. The soft enrage is primarily the debuff, as well as the hard 10 minute enrage.

-Splug

Kazeyonoma
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
interesting, I wasn't aware of this in the 10 man, how would you suggest doing it in 10 man? just 1-1-2-2-3-3 all the way?

Darksend
01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
10 man is fine with 4-4 because the second tank will get his fifth before the first tank's falls off.

the advantadge is the tank can just chain cooldown for the entire 40 seconds then the other tank can do the same, with that much swaping in a 10 man cooldowns lose effectiveness.

Xuthal
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Thank you for the replies. I should have specified that our group is 10-man. We'll try the 4-4 strategy and see how it goes.

Xu

Kazeyonoma
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
ah, gotcha, so hold till 4, tank swap, hold till 4, swap back, hold till 5, swap 5, wipe/kill? ;x interesting.

Splug
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes, that should work. However, once someone hits 5 debuffs the raid damage gets fairly intense. 5 & 5 is possibly survivable, the sixth debuff will one-shot or nearly one-shot the entire raid.

-Splug

Kazeyonoma
01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
that's what I'm imagining, so it's an enrage timer mechanic basically (thinking IC hm).

In 10 mans would you guys recommend 2 healing or 3. I see the pitfalls of both and honestly don't know which would work better.

Darksend
01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
we did 2, but when our resto druid kept dieing our ret pally kept saying "man if I was holy our resto druid would be alive"

first kill after he went holy-> kill

Kazeyonoma
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
we're running resto druid+holy pally and whenever we have to move him heals slow down (pally obviously has to move = stop casting), and either i dip low, or someone dies. We were doing okay on our last attempt and got him to 49% or so, but things were getting hectic in terms of the oozes. Any ideas for positioning that might make it easier?

I'm basically tanking him opposite from side he's gonna summon an experiment, and move him next to oozes that the abom is on so he can eat+melee/debuff at the same time. we seem to be okay on the first slime easily, and we're debating on waiting till all the oozes are eaten and risking the 2nd add spawning then burning to 80% or if we should just burn him before the 2nd add pops, and just let 1 ooze grow during the tear gas.

Darksend
01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
the debuff does not stack with sunder, also never got to the green side of the room, when the orange one is about to spawn you should be in that middle circle just edging to the green side of it. Shrinking the room helps the healers and the abom.

puddles> oozes. They get stunned by tear gas so as long as you save the slow for after you can easily deal with an add being up.

Kazeyonoma
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
sounds good, any healer or ranged dps positions that would make it easier or just "stay spread out" for goo tosses. I'm just trying to restrict healer movement as much as possible.

mav1234
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm the Abom driver at the moment, but I'm having HUGE trouble - I'm remaining stunned from his gas throw at 80% for several seconds past what the add (and many other players) are. Is this normal? >.<

EDIT: ok, with no adds up, I came out normally. With an add up I seem to ahve ~5+ extra seconds of stun past everyone and the add.

Metalwraith
01-12-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm the Abom driver at the moment, but I'm having HUGE trouble - I'm remaining stunned from his gas throw at 80% for several seconds past what the add (and many other players) are. Is this normal? >.<

EDIT: ok, with no adds up, I came out normally. With an add up I seem to ahve ~5+ extra seconds of stun past everyone and the add.

We encountered a few things that I assumed were bugs, but I haven't seen many other similiar complaints. On both our 10 & 25 man attempts we had the same issue as above, coupled with issues with the oozes. If Putricide went into phase 2 with an Ooze up, upon the end of the stun the Ooze would just chain-change targets without moving. It allowed the range to dps, but if melee went in to dps too and it picked a melee target (which it did a few times) we had instant knockback explosions. Similiarly, with an add up out of the stun, our Abom would be stunned for longer than anyone else coming out of it. We put in 7 attempts total on 25 man, but after Ooze issues happening every single time, into 35%ish, it became reduntant and people just didn't want to go on with it anymore. On our 10 man, we never had the Abom issue, but the issue with oozes not picking a target happened almost every single time.

Edit- Found a thread with other people experiencing the same issue -http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=22419025840&sid=1

Arianne
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
If you're having problems with the debuff falling off of your tanks (though this probably isn't too troublesome currently and may be more troublesome in the future) then remember that the debuff is a proc on a melee attack with an ICD of 10s. If your tank has an avoidance streak then it will not be applied.

Badmonkey.eu
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
So am I supposed to use avoidance equip in order to avoid stacks and thus raiddmg?

Kosmo
01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Please note that the narrator of the third video is consistenly mis-naming two of the adds. He's calling Volatile Oozes "Violet Oozes" and he's calling "Malleable Goo" Malleable Ooze."

Narm
01-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi

Mookey
01-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Ok now weird question: Assuming 25 man raid is doing 100K dps (Paragon killed it with 147dps but for the sake of easier calculations)
He heals for 300K xStacks of debuf?
What if 25 man raid intentionally heals him?
note: yes I'm aware of enrages but with carefull kiting and good dps it's not an issue

So, you get tank (preferably paladin) who takes 2-3 debuffs and bubles
He need total of 30 sec to reaplly that 3 debufs and raid with 100K dps needs 9 sec to mitigate the healing difference?

Question is based solely on stupidity of needing 3rd tank in this fight who is almost useless for 65% of the fight...

Or am I missing something in my math?

fr0d0b0ls0n
01-13-2010, 04:50 AM
He heals ~1.7 million per charge, so you lose 7 seconds or dps for every charge with 100k dps (you gain 10 seconds, but need 17 seconds of dps).

PS: With Mortal Strike, you'll gain 1.5 seconds, but you'll be overruned for sure with the ooze if you try that strat.

Zydell
01-13-2010, 06:10 AM
We ran into a problem last night on 25-man, as offtank controlling the abomination I noticed sometimes the Volatile Ooze kept resetting and choosing different targets a few times in a row, I recall this happening mostly after a phase transition (80%), its really annoying because I try to slow it down just before the debuff casting time ends so if it resets 2-3 times after we lose valuable time from the slowing debuff. Can anyone confirm this happening or tell me why it happens? I did spam the third ability trying to get 5 stacks up and dpsing it before I slowed this but that shouldnt interrupt/reset the casting right?
My final solution was to wait for it to start moving but thats not ideal either because you'll lose some time this way as well.

Satyra
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Excellent movie as always! ->(Rotface 10man-version). And always nice to see the videos from a healers point of wiew, since I'm a resto shaman myself. My guild just downed everything until festergut last fight with several tries on Rotface in 10-man. It's awesome to have a glimpse of the fight before reaching there, which we hopefully will soon.

Some questions though:

1) The ensnare from the Volatile oozes, are they possible to dispel and after that kiting em?

2) I didn't really get the mechanics about the gas clouds. When they spawn a random member will get 10 stacks, then 9, then 8 etc? until the stack is gone? or until 20 seconds have passed and they switch to another target? Is it better to kite the gas cloud while the dps nukes it to prevent it from reaching you, or should you remain your position? So the main thing is to actually kill it before 20 seconds have passed to prevent him from switching to another target?

3) Will the Volatile oozes and the gas clouds spawn at the same time, or 1 each time?

4) Are the gas bombs and the malleable goo easy to locate, and do you need to be very very fast to move away from it during the travel time?

Sorry for all the questions but those 4 just poped up in my head. Also your english is really really good, I was a bit suprised that you are from Germany tbh :)
No offence at all in that statement, totally the opposite :)

Thegreatme
01-13-2010, 09:26 AM
1) The ensnare from the Volatile oozes, are they possible to dispel and after that kiting em?
No

2) I didn't really get the mechanics about the gas clouds. When they spawn a random member will get 10 stacks, then 9, then 8 etc? until the stack is gone? or until 20 seconds have passed and they switch to another target? Is it better to kite the gas cloud while the dps nukes it to prevent it from reaching you, or should you remain your position? So the main thing is to actually kill it before 20 seconds have passed to prevent him from switching to another target?

when the gas cloud picks a target, that palyer gets a 10 stack, and every time the debuff ticks, one stack is removed, the debuff ticks every 2 seconds so after 20 seconds the stack is gone, and it will pick a new target. you want the gas cloud to be dead before it picks that new target. as for kiting vs simply remaining in position is completely dependant on your DPS, if your DPS can kill it before the cloud reaches its target, then you don't really need to kite, but that means your DPS have to be really on the ball, because if they fail, the focus is going to be cornered and will get hit (as the best place for the focused person to be if they aren't kiting it is in the north corner).

Are the gas bombs and the malleable goo easy to locate, and do you need to be very very fast to move away from it during the travel time?

the maleable goo is very obvious, just make sure your ranged are strafing, and not running forward/back, the total travel time is about the same as the travel time for shadow crash

the gas bombs are pretty obvious, but the big issue with them is when they spawn, because if it lands directly behind him melee have ~1 second to get out of it's animation before the first pulse of the debuff. avoiding the explosion is easy because they are pretty easy to see and most of the time the tank has to move the boss to the other side anyway shortly after they spawn so no one should be near it.

Yamahasport
01-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Were having problems balancing our DPS. Granted, we has 3 tanks, 8 melee 6 heals and ranged.

For one, the ooze isnt dying before it explodes, which tells me everyone needs to help with ooze. We has all ranged on it, warlocks/hunters/mages int he front line starting asap, others join as its in range

While having the melee repeat this: DPS boss, ooze comes out, continue on boss until ooze picks a target, help with ooze, back on boss

Our melees are averaging about 4-5K dps instead of the 8-10K they do on festergut. They spend more time running around the room (and getting thrown by exploding adds) than they are DPSing. Possibly a position and tanking location issue. We have him more at the front of the room near his table, to give range plenty of room to avoid malleable goo. When we started with the boss dead left in the orange, or ranged were getting caked with the goo because their so close to the boss.

Kazeyonoma
01-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks a ton guys for the advice, we ended up getting him down last night on just our 2nd attempt of the week. With the positioning changes we were able to get him to phase 3 on our first try last night after the change, and even got him to 7% before losing a tank! =]

Daimon
01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
i'm a bit confused with the stacks on tanks, so how that thing works?
The boss gets healed when the stack runs off the tank HE IS tanking at that point or a debuff on ANY tank wether he is tanking or not?
If is the latest then when you do a 4-4 in 10m then 5-5 means the 1st tank taunts when the 2nd has 4 and then the 2nd taunts back when the 1st tank gets the 5th stack, all this w/o a stack running off. If is like that isnt the raid dmg very high at that point? Because every tank debuff adds to the total raid dmg right?

Splug
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
i'm a bit confused with the stacks on tanks, so how that thing works?
The boss gets healed when the stack runs off the tank HE IS tanking at that point or a debuff on ANY tank wether he is tanking or not?
If is the latest then when you do a 4-4 in 10m then 5-5 means the 1st tank taunts when the 2nd has 4 and then the 2nd taunts back when the 1st tank gets the 5th stack, all this w/o a stack running off. If is like that isnt the raid dmg very high at that point? Because every tank debuff adds to the total raid dmg right?The phase III tank debuff lasts 60 seconds, and is cast by Putricide every 10 seconds on the player who is currently tanking. This means it will refresh the duration if you currently have it.

*Every stack deals exponentially higher damage to the raid. You risk one-shotting the entire raid at 6 stacks on one tank, but three tanks at 4 stacks is not bad.
*If the debuff expires for any reason (runs out of time, the player with the debuff dies, etc) then Putricide is healed for several million health. It doesn't matter what you're doing when the debuff fades, he gets the health.

The solution, then, is to be sure the debuff does not expire on any of your tanks, but is spread evenly to buy as much time as possible before someone hits 5. The rotations discussed (2-2-1, 1-1-3, 1-1-WIPE) are based around these goals.

-Splug

Kazeyonoma
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
weird, in last nights 10 man, when we downed him, one of our tanks died and we didn't notice him regaining health, in fact our tank died, we brezed, and because he no longer had any stacks, the healers had a very easy time the last 5% keeping everyone up since i was only at 3, and he was at 2

Penrif
01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
weird, in last nights 10 man, when we downed him, one of our tanks died and we didn't notice him regaining health, in fact our tank died, we brezed, and because he no longer had any stacks, the healers had a very easy time the last 5% keeping everyone up since i was only at 3, and he was at 2

Check your logs, it probably happened. Some examples from a 25-man wipe last night (10%, so...damn...close!)

[00:02:46.561] Tokk dies
[00:02:46.566] Tokk Mutated Plague Professor Putricide +3400000
[00:02:51.359] Viatikom dies
[00:02:51.377] Viatikom Mutated Plague Professor Putricide +8500000
[00:02:55.388] Penne dies
[00:02:55.397] Penne Mutated Plague Professor Putricide +6800000

Kazeyonoma
01-18-2010, 10:19 AM
hrm, unfortunately, we don't log our 10 mans much, i'll see if our healer did it that night and we'll check, it's possible, he was dying so fast in execute range that we didn't notice =P

Pavidus
01-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm having trouble finding some information on this. I'm trying to find the timers for each ability. How often Putricide casts Mal Goo, how often he casts the expanding pools, how often he casts choking bombs, etc. If anyone has this detailed information, or can link me to a site with this information, I'd greatly appreciate it. I could get the info by watching the DBM timers during an encounter, but that would be a distraction and I'd rather not be the cause of a wasted attempt because of this.

Djtk
01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Professor Putricide - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Professor_Putricide)

Unger
01-19-2010, 04:33 PM
The phase III tank debuff lasts 60 seconds, and is cast by Putricide every 10 seconds on the player who is currently tanking. This means it will refresh the duration if you currently have it.

*Every stack deals exponentially higher damage to the raid. You risk one-shotting the entire raid at 6 stacks on one tank, but three tanks at 4 stacks is not bad.
*If the debuff expires for any reason (runs out of time, the player with the debuff dies, etc) then Putricide is healed for several million health. It doesn't matter what you're doing when the debuff fades, he gets the health.

The solution, then, is to be sure the debuff does not expire on any of your tanks, but is spread evenly to buy as much time as possible before someone hits 5. The rotations discussed (2-2-1, 1-1-3, 1-1-WIPE) are based around these goals.

-Splug

^ This

I believe the stacks work like this.

1 Stack - 200
2 Stack - 400
3 Stack - 800
4 Stack - 1600
5 Stack - 3200

Based on this, you have 8 stacks that are allocated between 2 or 3 tanks.

With 2 tanks the damage is like this

Tank 1 - 4 stacks (1,600)
Tank 2 - 4 stack (1,600)

Total 3,200

For three tanks:

Tank 1 - 3 stacks (800)
Tank 2 - 3 stacks (800)
Tank 3 - 2 stacks (400)

Total - 2,000

Also, you dont want to stack 4 up right away and then switch. The best to is to go 1 at a time (although this could be difficult).

We got 25 man to 9% a few days ago and had real problems with melee getting the hit debuff and not pulling deeps. Now that we have that sorted out, I expect to get him this week. We will go with three tanks 2/2/2, 1/1/1, 1/1/1.

Pavidus
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Professor Putricide - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Professor_Putricide)

If this was meant to be an answer to my question, none of the information I am seeking is on this site. I've skimmed over wowwiki multiple times. I'm trying to find out the CDs for these abilities, not the cast times or what they do. If this info isn't online somewhere I'll just have to get it from DBM during an attempt. =( Oh well. Wish DBM had this info posted up somewhere.

Blacksen
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Has anyone had any success with the "table strategy" and could give more details about it?

My understanding of it is that you have the boss tanked so that he's facing towards the center of the room just in front of where the green ooze spawns. This allows all melee to instantly switch to the green ooze the moment it spawns. Since we run with 8 melee and a third offtank and 5 pets (3 hunters, 2 warlocks), we were thinking of trying this strategy out. All the melee would take ~ 11k damage from the blast if it goes off on melee. We could add a resto druid there too if needed.

We're thinking about trying this out tonight, but all we have are words and are hoping to see a video or something. Where exactly are the ranged supposed to stand? I've assumed to this point that it's near the table, but don't have any solid evidence of that.

Daimon
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
we haven't had luck on PP yet but those stacking strats start affecting when you get into phase 2 and the tank needs to start kitting the boss because of the bombs, the dps must be fast enough to reach the adds in time.

agranyoch
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
we're running resto druid+holy pally and whenever we have to move him heals slow down (pally obviously has to move = stop casting), and either i dip low, or someone dies. We were doing okay on our last attempt and got him to 49% or so, but things were getting hectic in terms of the oozes. Any ideas for positioning that might make it easier?

I'm basically tanking him opposite from side he's gonna summon an experiment, and move him next to oozes that the abom is on so he can eat+melee/debuff at the same time.
This is primarily from 10-man - we tanked Putricide whole P1 and P2 just next to his experiment table. Ranged was positioned so that they could start nuking the experiments the moment they spawned. Melee (we didn't have many) joined in as soon as the target was selected. This strat simplified the fight (for us at least) hugely and it allowed the Slime Pools to appear near the boss & raid, thus allowing the Abomination to eat slime and DPS the boss at the same time. We pushed him to P2 without Gas Cloud spawning, and phase change DEFINITELY resets the Experiment-timer somehow as everytime we got a clean transition to P2 after killing Volatile Ooze, it took literally ages in P2 for him to cast his next experiment, giving us ample time to unload DPS to him.

When he dropped Gas Bombs, tank just moved the boss 10 yards or so and back again. There was minimal movement involved. At least this was something that worked best for us. Most of the raid was always within Chain Heal range and that was a huge boost to our resto shammys output.

When he was nearing 40%, we called stop for DPS, waited for experiment and nuked it down while the tank moved Putricide to the door you come into his room and pushed him into P3. This way we got few extra seconds to nuke him before he applied the first Mutated Plague debuff to the tank as he had to run from the table to the tank and applying the first debuff took few more seconds. We finally killed him today with 2 tries left. :P Had like 5 or so 3-4% wipes due to either transition cockups or personal tank cockups (cough, I did move him away from the gas bombs... oh wait).

Fun fight!

Lighty
01-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Can some1 tell me please what addon does priest use in YouTube - TankSpot's Guide to Icecrown Putricide (10-man) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35p21sdb4us) movie?
Its about him Grid and it shows CoH and PoM icon when CoH and PoM are available, and hides them when spess are on cd.

chris73760
01-22-2010, 08:21 AM
What do you guys use to record your fights? thanks

Zellviren
01-24-2010, 07:08 AM
After really enjoying this fight, I'm now utterly sick of it. We had an excruciatingly rough ride with the RNG last night; people getting rooted by the green slime and then picked for an ooze puddle or gas canisters, malleable goo hitting (and killing) a healer in mid-air after the green slime explosion and all sorts of other things went wrong that you simply can't do anything about. The one time a person DC'd? You guessed it - the orange goo chose him. Unbelievable.

But the thing that's really ticking me off is that on the last seven/eight attempts we just could not get to phase three without either of the oozes up. No matter how well we tried to time it, he would just about finish casting Unstable Experiment and it was Tear Gas time. With no abomination available, there's practically nothing you can do to stop it wiping you if it's the orange one, or ruining your management of tank stacks if it's a green one.

I don't know what I'm supposed to say to a raid that has performed pretty much perfectly, only to get wiped by something that they just can't do anything about on a boss with limited attempts.

After really liking the tuning, I'm now horribly disheartened with this.

Are we doing something fundamentally wrong or is anyone else having a similar problem? If so, how are you supposed to be getting round it?

rampage2435
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
ok yo thegreatme, wats your floating damage addon? anyone know plz tell me

Kazeyonoma
01-26-2010, 10:49 AM
rampage, you don't need to ask in every thread, that's considered spamming here. If you had searched, you'd see that we have a UI compilation forum, where every single one of our authors have their UI compilations up:

http://www.tankspot.com/forumdisplay.php?211-UI-Compilations

namely in your case:
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?59916-Thegreatme-UI

and in that thread:

MSBT (Miks Scrolling Battle text)

Arianne
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
But the thing that's really ticking me off is that on the last seven/eight attempts we just could not get to phase three without either of the oozes up. No matter how well we tried to time it, he would just about finish casting Unstable Experiment and it was Tear Gas time. With no abomination available, there's practically nothing you can do to stop it wiping you if it's the orange one, or ruining your management of tank stacks if it's a green one.

Are we doing something fundamentally wrong or is anyone else having a similar problem? If so, how are you supposed to be getting round it?

This means that you're not allocating DPS correctly. We solved this by having 1-2 people (usually melee - ret paladins or kitties or someone with a high ramp up time) stay on Putricide while slimes/clouds before transitions were up and also calling for melee to return to Putricide at 30% of slime/goo health on the add just before transition. The add dies during the transition from the residual DoTs.

sully501
01-27-2010, 07:18 AM
We ran this on 10m last night and I saw a new "twist" or maybe a bug that I have not experienced before. I was controlling the abomination, transformed and ate the first two slime pools up to 50 energy. I then slowed the add and dps'ed for a bit. Then, he would drop the next round of slime pools but there was only 1 pool this time! It's impossible to eat 1 pool slowly enough and get 50 energy back by the time the orange add comes, so it wiped us. This happened on back to back attempts before we called it for the night.

Has anyone else had the same problem that only 1 slime pool spawns after the first 2 are gone?

Stevanized
01-27-2010, 08:48 AM
We ran this on 10m last night and I saw a new "twist" or maybe a bug that I have not experienced before. I was controlling the abomination, transformed and ate the first two slime pools up to 50 energy. I then slowed the add and dps'ed for a bit. Then, he would drop the next round of slime pools but there was only 1 pool this time! It's impossible to eat 1 pool slowly enough and get 50 energy back by the time the orange add comes, so it wiped us. This happened on back to back attempts before we called it for the night.

Has anyone else had the same problem that only 1 slime pool spawns after the first 2 are gone?

We also noticed that happening in our 10man and we figured it was because the Main tank (Me) was bringing the boss too close to a wall. We easily solved this by having me stand just outside the circle in the middle of the room. He never casted only 1 again. Also, if I may add, the key to my groups success was to make sure everyone was spread out while the green ooze was picking a target since we often got a pool under him with a malleable goo on top and it meant losing that player. Having people spread out gives better chances that the damage will me more evenly spread in the raid.

Hope this helped

Elitexion
01-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Aliena, you need to upgrade your computer. 12-20 FPS during encounter and over 300ms latency 0.o

Just a friendly suggestion :P

Otherwise great work on the guide!

Artog
01-29-2010, 04:53 AM
As our guilds constant abominationdriver i have noticed a few things that can help you deal with problems:

The priority when beeing an abomination is this:

1: Apply the slow on the Ooze
2: Eat pools
3: apply sunder armor/dps the add

whenever he cast new slimepools im there eating them up even if i only applied 3 stacks of the sunderarmor debuff. Damage on the add is not my main job.

Also as a abomination you have NO clobal cooldown. This means if you are standing and eating a pool and an add mooves by you, you can dps it and eat the pools at the same time.

fgicon
02-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Hi all,

We have one problem with Putricide. We can't manage having 15-19 people stuck up and receiving a maleable goo. It seems that each time a green experiment is created Putricide also throws a maleable goo and kills some of the stuck up people.

Is this a healing problem? We use 5 healers (1-2 paladin, 1 holy sacer, 1 disc, 1 resto chaman, 1 druid).

Thanks.

Coldwobble
02-01-2010, 06:03 AM

I don't know what I'm supposed to say to a raid that has performed pretty much perfectly, only to get wiped by something that they just can't do anything about on a boss with limited attempts.

After really liking the tuning, I'm now horribly disheartened with this.

We found stopping DPS on boss at 5% before phase change to do that trick. We stop at 85% and 40% kill add then continue. (We stopped at 5% because of Dots ticking would take 2-3% off him while we were killing add - less DoTs could mean lowering that percentage.)

Our problem was not having a Shaman in the group for BL, and our tanks took him to 4 stacks then taunted. Raid damage killed people.

Would like a clearer explanation of the 1-1-2 etc. Is that stacks or taunts?

Thanks.

Blacksen
02-01-2010, 08:35 AM
For the phase changes, the key is to actually split dps when you start getting really close to a phase change. When the boss gets to 38-39%, have all dps completely stop and wait for the next ooze spawn. As soon as the next ooze spawns, nearly all DPS get on it while 3-4 stay on the boss. Usually those 3-4 DPS can burn down the boss to 35% just as the other ooze is dying.

A common mistake is trying to get the boss to tear gas after killing an ooze. In that case, you would be killing an ooze and then trying to burn down the boss to cause the phase change. In our experience, that rarely works because it's such a small window. You should focus on trying to get the phase change while you still have an ooze alive but at low health. This means allocating some DPS to the boss before the ooze dies.

Tank A gets 2 stacks. Tank B taunts.
Tank B gets 2 stacks. Tank C taunts.
Tank C gets 3 stacks. Tank A taunts.
Tank A gets 1 more stack (3 total). Tank B taunts
Tank B gets 2 more stacks (4 total). Tank C taunts
Tank C gets 1 more stack (4 total). Tank A taunts.
Tank A gets 2 more stacks (5 total). *BOSS SHOULD BE DYING HERE BEFORE STACK 5*

B taunts off A at 2 stacks.
C taunts off B at 2 stacks.
A taunts off C at 3 stacks.
B taunts off A at 3 stacks.
C taunts off B at 4 stacks.
A taunts off C at 4 stacks.
**Boss should be dead**

A simple way of looking at this is that "all tanks get 2 stacks" then "all tanks get 3 stacks" then "all tanks get 4 stacks" then "all tanks get 5 stacks." So, Tank A gets 2 stacks, Tank B gets 2 stacks, then Tank C gets 2 stacks. Now, tank C is tanking the boss and we're going up to 3 stacks now. So no reason for tank A to taunt the boss back until tank C gets another debuff.

Your method of "going to 4 and then taunting" simply won't work due to raid damage. 4 is really the noticeable tick where raid healing becomes demanding. You want to delay every tank from getting a 4 stack as long as possible.

Papapaint
02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Used the alternate positioning strat last night in our 10m.

Not our cleanest boss kill ever, but it was 4 AM and we'd just spent all night working on him (17% in p3 QQ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24rAaqZAaK4

This should give a good perspective of how the positioning works.

Splug
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Has anyone else had the same problem that only 1 slime pool spawns after the first 2 are gone?Occasionally, Putricide will fail to spawn one or both of the slime pools. Supposedly, the bug is caused by players being in mid-air when the slime puddles are cast - but that's just a rumor. As the encounter can be done without snaring the experiments at all, you pretty much just have to let the raid know he bugged and that they'll need to brute force it. For green oozes, it's not that bad - everyone just has to rush in and kill them as soon as they pick a target, and then you still risk getting two explosions but otherwise it's manageable. The brown gas needs to be handled via a movement speed increase - a priest with PWS can help, but it's best if players have swiftness potions ready.

But the thing that's really ticking me off is that on the last seven/eight attempts we just could not get to phase three without either of the oozes up. No matter how well we tried to time it, he would just about finish casting Unstable Experiment and it was Tear Gas time. With no abomination available, there's practically nothing you can do to stop it wiping you if it's the orange one, or ruining your management of tank stacks if it's a green one.We found it easiest to bank on the less problematic case. Pull him down to ~37%, then wait for an experiment to spawn. Burn the experiment down to about 50%, then send all damage back to Putricide. Alternatively, you can leave melee on him and just be careful not to push him under 35% until the experiment is at half health or less. If done correctly, this will cause the p3 transition to occur with the experiment at half health or lower, but DoT damage will still occur. By the time Phase III actually starts, the experiment will be at ~20% health, and will need to select a new target. There is a split second window where the abomination can actually refresh regurgitated ooze on the experiment (meaning you need to be sure to enter this phase at >= 50 energy). Throw the ooze refresh, the raid can burn down the ooze while Putricide is running across the room to the tank, and then go into Phase III. It's not as simple as hitting that perfect window where nothing is up, but it's arguably more consistent than risking the last-second experiment spawn.

-Splug

Artog
02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
A little cry for help here.. In the past few week we pretty quickly got to phase3 (25man) and by now we more or less pull off the first 2 phases flawlessly everytime, no deaths and such.

Our problem is ph3.

All starts off good, we use 2-2-1 -> 1-1-2 -> 1-1-2 taunting order. but at about 5% usually when we're 1-3 stacks away from "the fifth mark" dps drops off and we always wipe at around 1-3%

Anyone have any tips to why this is ? or trix how to manage to finish it off?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Splug
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
The encounter has actually been changed to increase the duration of the p3 tank debuff. You can now do something as simple as 2-2-2, 2-2-2.

I do not know why your damage would be suddenly dropping off. The only thing I can think of is that you are running out of space for ooze, and people have to run further distances to get to safety. Either that or they're getting so spread out that once you get a few people to four debuffs, healing can't reach some dps and they fall over from that.

-Splug

Censimilla
02-04-2010, 05:04 AM
My guild has been getting successfully to phase3 on the 25man version of the fight for a while now. However we seem to hit a wall there.

As far as I can tell our dps simply drops too low. This is because of the movement involved, which will obviously slow dps down a bit. However our main problem, since we run a melee heavy raid, seem to be the Choking Gas Bombs. As soon as they spawn alot of our melee are eating the first tick, and getting the -75% hit debuff. They are not dying to it, but they always seem to get the debuff.

I've looked everywhere, but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how these vials work. The only thing I know is that they spawn in melee range, and never in front of the boss. Some people say the always spawn directly behind him, and others say that they spawn in a "cone" at his back.

But here's what I want to know. Are they targeted? And by that I mean, do they spawn at someones feet, or are they just spawned in his general melee range.

And seeing as I am not always in melee range of the boss, I've not been able to find out for myself. Do they apply the debuff as soon as they spawn, as I've been told by the people getting hit, or is it simply a case of my melee doing the ol' tunnel vision?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Coldwobble
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I've looked everywhere, but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how these vials work. The only thing I know is that they spawn in melee range, and never in front of the boss. Some people say the always spawn directly behind him, and others say that they spawn in a "cone" at his back.

I read somewhere ( cannot find the post, sorry ) that they spawn behind , to the sides of each foot. Same place everytime. And I think I recall someone saying, you should not tank him too close to the wall. or they bug.(Might be wrong on this) Needs confirmation.

Searching "Vial/s" only gave me your post.

Zulrantis
02-08-2010, 03:49 PM
ok right now my guild is currently on progression with putricide, the strat we've been using is to keep putricide on the green side of the room(dont ask me why...) the one in the video you have your tank moving him from side to side opposite of the next slime coming out, we have been able to get him to p3 multiple times but then he just slaps us in the face with the "Good news everyone! GRAAAAAAAAAAARRGGGHHH". Would it just be our dps not killing adds quick enough? Very rarely are the melee being hit by bombs, and goo is only a small problem that has gotten better, our abom driver is doing a great job slowing and dpsing the add and controlling the ooze. Would it just be our dps not being fast enough on the slimes and back on the boss? Also just want an input on this strat we are using, would help to know if its at all even useful.

Censimilla
02-09-2010, 04:32 AM
WHat ever strat works for your guild is what you should be using. If that means keeping him on the "green side" of the room, then that's what you should be doing.

That said however, I am not sure how you are doing the adds? They are without a doubt the most important part of the encounter. Getting as much dps time on them as possible is critical to the success of your attempt. The way my own guild did this was to tank him closer to the center of the room, but still trying to keep him opposite of the new add spawn point. Doing this we would have all our ranged in the middle of the room ready to nuke the adds as soon as they can be targeted.

However the thing that will likely make the biggest impact on your overall performance (if you are not already doing it), is to call DPS stops on Putricide before phase 2 and 3. And by that I mean that you should be calling full dps stops on putricide at 82-81% and again at 37-36%. WHen that happens all your dps should switch to the add, after it picks a target obviously, and nuke it down as quickly as possible. As soon as it is dead, your dps goes back on Putricide and forces the phase transition without a new add spawn. (Obviously, if no adds are up, or spawning without the next 3-5 seconds of hitting 80 or 35% you just nuke him)

Basically, ensuring that you never have any adds up at the start of a new phase is the biggest possible dps increase you can have on Putricide.

Another idea, if you are running 6 or more healers, would be to swap out one or more of them for the extra dps. Simply put there is not enough damage going on in the fight, not even in phase3, to warrant using 6 healers. This of course depends on the average reaction time of your raiders. Not getting hit by Malleable Goo, standing in Slime Pools or Void Zones. You get the picture :)

Muroku
02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 Vials spawn on either side of his feet. I would say you have about a 3 sec window before your melee get pulsed by it and get the debuff. This means you either have to be FAST as a melee running out, OR you do what I do (as MT) and start moving him as I see the timer on DBM comming up for him to cast it. If you start moving early, you can do the work for your melee, instead of relying on them.

Blacksen
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
The Choking Gas Bombs are on an incredibly predictable timer. DBM is extremely reliable. Your melee should be watching that timer in p3, and when it hits 0, they should start moving in front of the boss.

If you're getting 3-4 melee hit by gas bombs, you won't have the DPS to down the boss. Our first kill had only 2 melee get the 75% hit debuff for the entire fight, and it's no coincidence either. If you get hit by either debuff, you're basically out of the fight for 12 seconds. Considering the real "fight" only lasts 120 seconds, each debuff application removes someone from 10% of the fight. You cannot afford to have anyone get hit.

Lindseysig
02-19-2010, 12:50 AM
I have a question about malleable goo. I read somewhere that it targets range kinda like shadow crash..is there a set # of range that needs to be out while the rest is on the boss or will it still hit ppl up close to boss to?

this is what seems to kill my group, as we get a few ppl every try being hit by them as they dont see them or what not.

Kazeyonoma
02-19-2010, 09:12 AM
it only targets ranged, but I never tested how many "ranged" you need, my guess is it's similar to festergut's vomit, 3 in 10 man, and 7 in 25.

Lindseysig
02-19-2010, 07:31 PM
ok..ty

Kidate
03-04-2010, 01:11 AM
I have seen some strange comments on the debuff rotations for tanks.
The optimal debuff rotation for 25man normal with 3 tanks is 2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4.
Here are the rough calc i made. Data is from my WOL log.

http://i47.tinypic.com/4hsb29.png

Shortypop
03-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Any chance, cos I'm feeling lazy, you could model - 1-1-3-3-3-4-4-4 (and yes two one's is what I want) - we do this since we've had taunt resist problems with 2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4 and I'd be interested to see how it compares.

Kidate
03-04-2010, 05:06 AM
you could model - 1-1-3-3-3-4-4-4 (and yes two one's is what I want) - we do this since we've had taunt resist problems with 2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4 and I'd be interested to see how it compares.
Output is: 900 1800 2700 3900 7200 8400 11700 12900 16200 24300 32400 40500
Im to lazy to post another graph:p, but you will take some extra dmg between the 4th to the 8th debuff.
It's still better than 3-3-3-4-4-4, but i would say you get some extra dmg when its getting really hard.

The theory is: Keep the stacks as low as long as possible. Since dmg. grow exponentially.

Echtellion
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't know if anyone thought about this...

Mutated infection has an ICD of roughly 10 secs, duration of 3 minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could have some players take one debuff and go dpsing again. Say you have a warrior, you make a macro which makes you put a sword/shield, go in defensive stance, then a macro that pops shield block/shield wall and taunt ~7-8 seconds after previous Mutated infection. You are uncrittable and get -60% dmg (shouldn't be glyphed if its a dps war...). And you soaked a debuff.

I see very little risk doing this, especially if Putricide casts it as soon as it is off CD... Works with warriors, could work with pain suppresion also on another plate wearer.

Anything I'm missing with that?

Kazeyonoma
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
aside from that fact that he'll punch any non-tank through even defensive cooldowns? I dunno, it's worth a try maybe, but the key factor is getting your healers working together and transferring stacks at an appropriate level. 2-2-2-4-4-4 seems best.

Echtellion
03-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Did the same modelling than Kidate, with his data mostly. I discriminated option D (4-4-4 rotation...) as it clearly isn't an interesting option.

I have a hard time not believing a warrior would survive a 3-4 seconds tanking situation with a few internal and external defensive cooldowns. I did a 1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3 modelling.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3097/12stackraiddmgp3putrici.jpg

I've considered loss in DPS from lower threat, 30 additionnal seconds of say, 75% DPS, is still better than nothing...

Ech

Kidate
03-05-2010, 03:05 AM
I have a hard time not believing a warrior would survive a 3-4 seconds tanking situation with a few internal and external defensive cooldowns. I did a 1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3 modelling.

I've considered loss in DPS from lower threat, 30 additionnal seconds of say, 75% DPS, is still better than nothing...

Ech

It's true that rotation on more ppl will decrease the raid-wide dmg. But practically I see it as almost impossible to pull off. Not considering threat, and only dmg. As a Bear i have about 32k armor (68% dmg reduction roughly estimated). The Average hit on me is about 19k dmg. I don't know warriors but I would find it surprising if they could take that dmg.

So I would not waste my time on working out a tactic with more tanks.

Echtellion
03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I did not think I'd have to do the mathematical development...

I'll do an example of something I know inside and outside, a warrior.

A fully-plated Arms Warrior with mostly ilvl251-264 gear, with a decent shield (Neverending Winter), has around 24k armor. Making it 60,78% mitigation (from personnal data). With defensive stance, this goes to 64,7%. (1 - (( 1 - 0,6078) * 0,9)) = Def stance + Armor mitigation

Also has in ICC25 context (full buffs) around 35k HPs.

If 68% dmg reduction, brings a prof Putricide hit to 19k, this means his base hit would be roughly 60k. (from your data, this could be higher)

So, 60k * (1 - 0,647) = 21k.

Said:
Pop Shield Block, means ~2k additionnal mitigation (personal tooltip: 2266 dmg blocked). 19k hit.
Pop shield wall, 19k * (1 - 0,60) = 7,6k/hit

Say a hit/2sec situation, with absolutly no avoidance at all, makes a 35/7,6*2 = 10 seconds TTL (round up to a full hit duration).

Theorycrafting and calculations is nice, but this assumption needs testing and data.

On a side note, I believe the danger is taunt immunity. So it would be rather preferable to do a 2-1-2-1-2-1-3-3-3 rotation. Average and final raid-dmg taken would be pretty similar.

Ech

Garinol
03-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey, I love TS and have always used its videos to help me learn fights but I must say that the newer vids from the dps / healer point a view do not help when it comes to boss movement or tank positioning. The fight explanations are fine its just that the view from say a healer stand point is of no interest to me. While I realize the same can be said for tank view for healers I am wondering if there is any way we could get both.

Quinafoi
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
PHASE 3 - Ideal Taunt Rotations Explained

2^(n-1)
n = number of stacks of the debuff on the tank.
That's the equation you need to know in order to understand the exponential growth of the damage caused in phase 3. Lets say that 1 stack of the debuff does 1000 damage per tick (to keep the math simple).

1000 * 2^(1-1) = 1000 damage per tick
That checks out for 1 stack. Try two stacks.
1000 * 2^(2-1) = 2000 damage per tick
3 stacks... 4000 damage per tick
4 stacks... 8000 damage per tick

Now here comes the STRATEGY.
It takes the boss a preset amount of time to stack the debuff. This means I will always have the same total amount of the debuff applied at the same point in the encounter regardless of the number of tanks it is distributed to.
So if I have two tanks, both with a stack of 2, from the math above we said this is 2000 damage per tick. Well if there are two tanks, double it and you get 4000 damage per tick. This is half the damage of the 8000 per tick we would have if we had all 4 of those debuff stacks applied to a single tank.

2 Tank Method
The absolute ideal rotation for a two tank method is a leap frog approach.

The first tank takes 1 stack... 1000 raid damage.
The second tank takes 2 stacks... 2000 raid damage and 3000 raid damage.
The first tank takes 2 more stacks (up to 3 now)... 4000 raid damage and 6000 raid damage.
The second tank takes 2 more stacks (up to 4 now)... 8000 raid damage and 12000 raid damage

This is the method that will result in the least possible damage taken by the raid.

MT +1 stack to 1
OT +2 stacks to 2
MT +2 stacks to 3
OT +2 stacks to 4
MT +2 stacks to 5

Or if you prefer this representation.

MT: 1
OT: 1-2
MT: 2-3
OT: 3-4
MT: 4-5

3 Tank Method

Using the exact same methodology above used for the two tank method, a three tank method will actually follow a similar leap frog type pattern except it will be every other taunt which takes it for two stacks.

The ideal method would be.

T1: 1
T2: 1
T3: 1-2
T1: 2
T2: 2-3
T3: 3
T1: 3-4
T2: 4
T3: 4-5

Note, this 1000 damage isn't the actual number, it was just used to show the numbers in a simple representation.
Based on the expontential growth pattern of the Mutated Plague debuff, this leap frog method will always result in the least raid damage taken. (Provided you aren't increasing the number of tanks to include DPS or Healers.)
Also note that this method since it has two stacks in between each taunt (2 tank) or two stacks inbetween every other taunt (3 tank) deminished returns will never result in taunt immunity.

Aquaries
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
For this fight what has been a good makeup in relations to healers, ranged/melee dps. Weve only gotten him to like 63% using two heals, (pally and driud) and ush the green ooze will hit the player. Any tips for raid makeup would be appreciated.

Arvandor
03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
We tank Putricide where the green ooze spawns, so that everyone can go nuts on it before it picks a target. Ranged stays back, then as soon as a target is chosen everyone collapses on that person to reduce damage. However, using this strat, sometimes the green slime doesn't even get to hit one person before it's dead =) Phase 3 drives me insane though. This week maybe it's just because we didn't have bloodlust, but we wiped 2 times on phase 3 due to a tank getting to 5 stacks and wiping the raid before Putricide died. We finally handed out speed pots to everyone for use in phase 3 as a ghetto BL and we downed him. We 2-heal it with a disc priest + resto druid, which feels /yawn for phases 1 and 2 and zomg rape after 4 stacks in phase 3. 4 stacks gets slowly out of hand, and 5 is more or less instant wipe.

Some random tidbits:

-Rogues can vanish the phase transition stuns, and dps Putricide (or a slime/cloud if you didn't get a clean transition.) I'm assuming paladins can bubble, but I don't know what other mechanics work. Apparently mage ice block/blink and Dk IBF do not, nor does undead WotF.
-Hunters can feign if they're the target of the green slime. The slime will not choose a new target immediately, and it gives you a fair bit of extra time to dps without worrying about raid damage.
-Resto druids with revitalize can keep rejuv and WG on the Abom to help him with his energy generation. Very handy.
-Stick a resto druid in the tank group and Tranquility if one of their stacks get to 5 in phase 3. Will give you just a few extra seconds for at least that group before the raid wipes. Druids in other groups should do likewise, and priests can try to use Divine Hymn.

For this fight what has been a good makeup in relations to healers, ranged/melee dps

I think we usually use

Prot war x2, disc priest, resto druid, arc mage, mut rogue, surv hunter, unholy dk, warlock, and usually an elemental/resto shaman, but this week we lacked a shaman, and I don't remember what we had instead. Spriest I think? Clearly not an optimal setup by any means, but it seemed to work fine. The other group has a better setup, especially as tanks go (druid/paly or paly/paly,) and hasn't downed Putricide yet =P I believe their healers are resto/bear druid, disc/shadow priest, resto/ele shaman, and a holy/ret paladin. I don't know who swaps out when they 2-heal, or what fights they 3-heal though. No clue on their dps setup either.

Akeber
03-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Hey, I love TS and have always used its videos to help me learn fights but I must say that the newer vids from the dps / healer point a view do not help when it comes to boss movement or tank positioning. The fight explanations are fine its just that the view from say a healer stand point is of no interest to me. While I realize the same can be said for tank view for healers I am wondering if there is any way we could get both.

Tanks positioning of putricide (as for most bosses) is quite simple; move the boss away form the "ouches", in this case slime puddles and chocking gas bombs, so melee have a safe place to stand. Keep down unnecessary movement so your melee dps don't have to break rotation as often.

On the non-tank taking a stack, some of our first kills on 25 man we had a feral kitty go bear, blow barkskin, throw a raid CD (PS, GS, or hand of sacrifice) on him and taunt until he picked up one stack. It may not seem like much, but that one stack will give you an extra 15-20 seconds of DPS time, as it will hold off on that last unhealable stack on one of your "regular" tanks. Obviously as DPS got better at not being hit by goo and bombs in phase three it becomes unecessary, but the extra time can be helpful for a first kill. I don't really see why a plate DPS couldn't do the same thing, they'd obviously have a smaller health pool, but a raid CD plus shield wall should make it healable for one stack.

Rennadrel
03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Can you heal the OT that is in the Abomination form if it happens to take damage.

Quinafoi
03-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Can you heal the OT that is in the Abomination form if it happens to take damage.

Not only should you heal it, but you should also buff it. Depending on the skill of your driver they can do decent damage with it while keeping everything else in check.

ItsMé
03-20-2010, 01:51 AM
First off thank you to everyone from Tankspot for proving these guides, they are clear, concise and extremely well thought out.

I just have a small simple question.....

What is the addon Thegreatme is using for his achievement pop ups? I really like the look of it.

Thanks.

Thorzor
03-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Mutated Infection soaking?
I don't know if anyone thought about this...

Mutated infection has an ICD of roughly 10 secs, duration of 3 minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could have some players take one debuff and go dpsing again. Say you have a warrior, you make a macro which makes you put a sword/shield, go in defensive stance, then a macro that pops shield block/shield wall and taunt ~7-8 seconds after previous Mutated infection. You are uncrittable and get -60% dmg (shouldn't be glyphed if its a dps war...). And you soaked a debuff.

I see very little risk doing this, especially if Putricide casts it as soon as it is off CD... Works with warriors, could work with pain suppresion also on another plate wearer.

Anything I'm missing with that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this strategy will leave you with 3 soakers that will take only 1 debuff. And if I understand the debuff mechanics correctly then as the fight progresses the debuff will fall off the soakers causing Putricide to heal for an unmanageable amount of health. This on top of the lost dps (and the havoc of execution with the risk of taunt immunity) makes the strategy less efficient if not impossible. Also gaining an extra 30 sec still runs the risk of the room being flooded with ooze before you can kill him.

Unknőwn of Nagrand
03-27-2010, 11:15 PM
@ Aliena , I'd just like to know what addon you use for you casting bar and what you use for healing , i noticed in the video the gray section with your spells in a line and a casting bar.

youintrouble
05-13-2010, 06:28 AM

Simple answer to why this happens is letting it grow too far. Abomination's first priority should be toward eating ooze, as failure to do so is pretty much a guaranteed wipe, as when they grow to a certain point, you won't be able to eat them all up, as you explained, and in the process others grow as well. Your abomination should have the following priorities (in order):

1) Eating Slime
2) Regurgitate Slime
3) Attacking Ooze
4) Attacking Putricide

On a similar note, one common mistake is to use Regurgitate Slime on Putricide... DO NOT do it... as tempting as it may be, it costs 50 slime power and means you wont have the ability available for the oozes.

Crommi
05-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have the numbers for Mutated Plague in 25man heroic mode?

mansler
05-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I just wanted to ask a question to confirm something, the poison bottles get thrown in the first phase, right?

mansler
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I only ask because of

"The last mechanic you get introduced to in the first phase is gas bombs. Putricide will throw those out in sets of two, and standing on them will - how novel - make you explode. They look like brown little flasks on the ground, so avoid them at all costs."

Kazeyonoma
05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
they come out during phase 2 and phase 3 after he chugs potions, phase 1 consists of only the green slime/orange gas cloud adds, and slime puddles (green oozes on the ground that grow in size unless devoured by the abomination/OT)

Flamekorn
05-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a question about the camera in the Abomination video.. I put my camera at max with the maxcamera 50 script. And still I get a bad camera while controling the abomination the video is perfect how can I put that camera?

whatsup1722
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
What is the name of that addon where it shows all the damage and healing done it like comes up on the sides of her it has like a different kind of text does anyone know what addon this is? When doing dps i want it to have all the damage done like that to have that kind of text and to scroll on the sides of me as right now it just comes up in normal text and pops on the boss. If anyone knows this addon she has please tell me.

Quinafoi
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
What is the name of that addon where it shows all the damage and healing done it like comes up on the sides of her it has like a different kind of text does anyone know what addon this is? When doing dps i want it to have all the damage done like that to have that kind of text and to scroll on the sides of me as right now it just comes up in normal text and pops on the boss. If anyone knows this addon she has please tell me.
There are a lot of variations of scrolling combat text, including the Blizzard delivered version.

The specific addon Darksend uses is SCT (Scrolling Combat Text).
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?55498-Darksend-s-UI

The specific addon Thegreatme uses is MSBT (Mik's Scrolling Battle Text).
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?59916-Thegreatme-UI

The specific addon Splug uses is MSBT (Mik's Scrolling Battle Text).
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?54960-Splug-Spyte-s-UI

The specific addon Aliena uses is MSBT (Mik's Scrolling Battle Text).
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?54528-Aliena-s-UI

There is built in scrolling combat text in the base UI as well, though it functions differently than the addons. There are also other addons which do this type of functionality such as Parrot. There are also addons which provide a different display format for combat text such as Cascade or EavesDrop.

obiwayne
07-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place, but is the Mutated Plague supposed to act like an enrage? It lasts for nearly 3 minutes and one tank seems to get it very fast, so it's impossible to "taunt off" like you normally would. My guild talked about taunting off every two stacks, but realistically this is impossible because the other tank was getting it so quick, when I would taunt off I'd still have like two minutes left, so my stacks would just keep going up. So it would go like this:

* Plague on me (1)
* Plague on me (2)
* Other tank taunts
* Plague on him (1)
* Plague on him (2)
* Do I taunt off?? I still have 2x stacks with like 2 minutes remaining. I tried and he's like "Wow you're up to 4 stacks already?" when the thing lasts forever.

Any help would be appreciated. We got the sucker down to like under 500k health and people started to die :( But we were a bit slow on killing the adds, there was always one up when he started phase 3 so that probably is why we didn't get him down.

charliebbkf
07-01-2010, 06:02 AM
The idea is that the plague does damage to the whole raid, and this increases (e.g. 2 stacks does more than twice the damage of one stack, and so on)
so the reason for swapping tanks is to try and minimise this incoming raid damage (by minimising the maximum value of the stacks) while avoiding the boss becoming immune to taunt due to diminishing returns.

Quinafoi
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place, but is the Mutated Plague supposed to act like an enrage? It lasts for nearly 3 minutes and one tank seems to get it very fast, so it's impossible to "taunt off" like you normally would. My guild talked about taunting off every two stacks, but realistically this is impossible because the other tank was getting it so quick, when I would taunt off I'd still have like two minutes left, so my stacks would just keep going up. So it would go like this:

* Plague on me (1)
* Plague on me (2)
* Other tank taunts
* Plague on him (1)
* Plague on him (2)
* Do I taunt off?? I still have 2x stacks with like 2 minutes remaining. I tried and he's like "Wow you're up to 4 stacks already?" when the thing lasts forever.

Any help would be appreciated. We got the sucker down to like under 500k health and people started to die :( But we were a bit slow on killing the adds, there was always one up when he started phase 3 so that probably is why we didn't get him down.

This is not a debuff you want to fall off. If it does fall off, you heal the boss. So if you either die or use an immunity effect such as Divine Shield, you heal the boss. In 10 man it is about 300,000 healing per stack. In 25 man, it actually scales exponentially (think we had like a 7 stack once heal him for like 8-10 million when we were first learning the encounter).

The damage caused to the raid by the stacks increases exponentially with each stack. For example, one tank with a 2 stack is actually worse than two tanks with 1 stack each. If you want actual numbers is something like 275 damage from a 1 stack and 700 damage from a 2 stack, it is more than double that of a 1 stack. The rate also increases faster. A 3 stack is more than twice as bad as a 2 stack. The ideal method of minimizing the raid damage caused by the debuff is to taunt every time the tank in front of you in the taunt order has one stack higher than yourself. With two tanks, this looks like...

MT takes 1 stack.
OT taunts (because the MT has 1 more stack than himself) and tanks until 2 stacks.
MT taunts (because not thw OT has 1 more stack) and tanks until 3 stacks.
OT taunts and tanks until 4 stacks.
MT taunts and tanks until 5 stacks.

The golden rule is always taunt if the person in front of you in the taunt order has 1 stack higher than yourself. This rule also applies to three tanks in 25 man and looks like...

MT tanks to 1 stack.
Tank 2 taunts because the person in front of them in order has one stack higher. They tank to 1 stack.
Tank 3 taunts because the person in front of them in order has one stack higher. They tank to 2 stacks.
MT taunts because the tank in front of them in order has 1 stack higher. They tank to 2 stacks.
Tank 2 taunts and tanks to 3 stacks.
Tank 3 taunts and tanks to 3 stacks.
MT taunts and tanks to 4 stacks.
Tank 2 taunts and tanks to 4 stacks.
Tank 3 taunts and tanks to 5 stacks.

No matter how many tanks you use, if you follow the golden rule your rotation is always optimal for minimizing the damage caused by the Mutated Plague. Always taunt if the person in front of you in the taunt order has 1 stack higher than yourself.

obiwayne
07-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Your explanation helps out a great deal; we totally messed that up and thought it was a debuff like Saurfang's Rune (our MT that night was from our first ICC group and is a kingslayer but didn't remember since it was so long since he had faced Putricide) and got confused. I'm hoping we get another chance at him tonight and can get him down.

Does he still have that 10 attempts per week nonsense? DBM was showing 50/50 heroic attempts, but nothing about regular.

Quinafoi
07-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Does he still have that 10 attempts per week nonsense? DBM was showing 50/50 heroic attempts, but nothing about regular.

The attempt counter isn't from a boss mod but part of the base UI. And it only effects to heroic difficulty attempts of Professor Putricide, Blood Queen Lana'thel, Sindragosa, and The Lich King. You have unlimited attempts on normal. The number of attempts increases over time, when the videos were first recorded they only had 10 attempts and at that time it also applied to normal difficulty. And those attempts are shared between all four of the bosses.

zodak
07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
What addons do you guys use for this fight?

swollenpickles
08-12-2010, 11:22 PM
What DPS should you be expecting from the DPS (with 30% buff) in 10 man to pull this off?

Quinafoi
08-13-2010, 08:43 AM
What DPS should you be expecting from the DPS (with 30% buff) in 10 man to pull this off?

Prior to the buff and running with a three healers and two tanks you could get by with around 6-7k dps per DPS player. If you run with only two healers you could get by with a little less DPS, though healing would be harder (especially when first learning the encounter). One thing to keep in mind however is a player with a 30% buff doing 6k DPS isn't as effective as a player with no buff doing the same. The buff inflates your numbers yes, but your skill remains constant. If you are unable to play at the appropriate level you will still struggle regardless of the buff.

Ultimaa
08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
The only question I have, is on 25-man, is it possible for more than one Abomination to be up at a time? As in, because most raids use 3 tanks, couldn't the tank that, before didn't do anything at all except do dps(how much dps does a tank really do...) couldn't the third tank get an abomination as well, and use mutated slash and help out with slime puddles?

Quinafoi
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
The only question I have, is on 25-man, is it possible for more than one Abomination to be up at a time? As in, because most raids use 3 tanks, couldn't the tank that, before didn't do anything at all except do dps(how much dps does a tank really do...) couldn't the third tank get an abomination as well, and use mutated slash and help out with slime puddles?

You can't have more than one.
Even if you could, it would cause increased raid damage during the first two phases from the double auras. And also the abominations would actually be competing for energy. They have to eat slime to have enough energy to slow the oozes, if they are actually competing with each other it is possible that neither have sufficient energy to slow the ooze. The encounter is tuned such that a single abom can keep up with the slime fine.

If you are having problems with the slime puddles, you realize that it doesn't have to be a tank in the abom either. It's just ideal because they do less other benefit during phase one and two trying to DPS in tanking gear. If your abom driver is having problems, you can actually have a healer or dps do it instead if they are simply better at handling it. This is like going into the Dreamwalker encounter and saying paladins and shamen are the only ones who can heal the boss cause they are best suited for it, however if player skill is a factor involved another healing class can out perform them if they are simply a stronger player. I've actually driven the abomination several times as a balance druid because either our regular driver was out or having connection issues. The loss of some DPS is an acceptable trade off, especially with the ICC buff so high now, in order to make sure a critical boss encounter role is executed correctly.

saeldien
08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
one trick for your mages is if they cast invis right before the tear gas goes off and they go full invis they can avoid the stun and add alittle bit of dps to the boss or any remaining adds up. It works because I do it all the time on my mage but the timing must be precise or you will waste it and still be stuned. Rogues may be able to to the same thing with one of their vanishing moves but Im not really sure if it works.

Erja
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
one trick for your mages is if they cast invis right before the tear gas goes off and they go full invis they can avoid the stun and add alittle bit of dps to the boss or any remaining adds up. It works because I do it all the time on my mage but the timing must be precise or you will waste it and still be stuned. Rogues may be able to to the same thing with one of their vanishing moves but Im not really sure if it works.

Indeed, rogues can vanish and accomplish the same thing. This is particularly helpful if you happen to get an add up during the transition the mage or rogue can almost solo kill it during the time period where everybody else is frozen and Putricide is RPing.