PDA

View Full Version : Icecrown Rotface

Ciderhelm
01-06-2010, 05:15 AM
ssE6MEz8KQo

KgOcvwhUeRs

v0St5xnlifM

JKe2N7wKxKs

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the normal mode 25-man version of the Rotface encounter that's unlocked after defeating Deathbringer Saurfang.

Rotface has 36 million health and is located in a circular chamber with pipes going all around the outsides of the room. He is pretty much a tank and spank fight with three twists to him that give him a bit of a Grobbulus-Heigan Naxxramas flavor. A setup of 2 tanks, 6-7 healers and 16-17 dps is recommended for this encounter.

To start out the fight, your main tank should run into the middle of the room and turn the boss 180 degrees with the rest of your raid staying close behind Rotface's back. Once he is turned, the raid should spread out in the area right behind and next to Rotface, ideally leaving the area right around your main tank open. This is because Rotface uses an ability called Slime Spray, which is a 1.5 second cast and then a 5 second channeled AoE nature damage spell. He will pick a random raid member to cast it on, turn towards that person and then channel Slime Spray which hits for about 7k damage per second in a frontal cone.

While he doesn't hit particularly hard, you do want to avoid that extra damage on your tank if at all possible. It's incredibly easy to predict what area is going to be affected by Slime Spray since Rotface turns before he even starts channeling. Everyone in the affected area simply needs to move out of it.

Now secondly, what I'd like to explain is the environmental twist and the reason you're all stacked up in the very middle of this large room. The room is actually split into four quarters. At any given time during this encounter, one quarter of the room is going to be covered by green slime that deals around 5k nature damage every second and reduces movement speed by 25% for 5 seconds to anyone standing in it. The slime will randomly cover all four areas one after another, but never the same one twice until all four have been covered once. That pattern repeats throughout the entire fight. It's easy to see where the next ooze flood will take place since the pipes open a little prior to that. The majority of your raid will never have to worry about this, unless they get hit with a debuff called Mutated Infection.

Mutated Infection is a disease that lasts 12 seconds, deals around 4000 damage every second and will reduce all healing received by the target by 50%. This is approximately cast every 15 seconds but seems to speed up as the fight progresses. When the debuff runs out or is cleansed, a small mutant slime baby will pop out at the affected target's feet, which is where your offtank comes into play. People that get the debuff always need to run to the Offtank, so he can pick up the slime offspring. Once two of these little slimes come together, ie. after two infections, they will merge into a big slime that hits exceptionally hard and it is advised to kite it along the outsides of the room, but keeping the ooze flood pattern in mind.

Every person that gets a debuff after the big ooze has emerged needs to move into the kiting path between the offtank and the big slime to ensure that the big slime is close enough to absorb the little one.

The big slime continues absorbing little player slimes to power himself up, and once it absorbs 5 little oozes, it will cast a spell called Unstable Ooze Explosion. This ability has a slow cast and air travel time, but basically launches around 10 missiles into the air that are aimed at random players, or rather the ground they stand on. They also deal considerable damage in a 6 yard range when they hit anyone and the damage stacks, so once you see the emote, every raid member needs to move out of the middle of the room to keep it free before the bombs land.

Once it explodes, the whole game starts over. Merge 2 slimes, power them up 5 times, move out of the middle, rinse repeat. The pace of debuffs and oozes spawning seems to pick up during the battle, so ideally you want to assign someone to dispel it when the raid member is close to your offtank so the affected person does not have to stand around the whole 12 seconds.

Key to this fight is your kiter, sufficient DPS, and relying on people with the debuff to move to the right spot at the right time without getting irritated by Ooze Flood. Good luck!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!

Welcome back to the Icecrown Citadel raid guide! I am Splug, and in this video I'll be going over our strategy for the Rotface encounter.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

There are two major mechanics the raid needs to be aware of and react to. Every few seconds, Rotface will turn toward a random player and begin to channel a slime cone attack. To counter this, we split our raid into two groups, with each stationed behind one of Rotface’s legs. Whenever the boss turns to face a group, everyone in that pile rotates around to the other group’s position for the duration of the slime spew. When it ends, they shift back to their native position.

The other major mechanic the raid needs to be aware of is the mutated infection. This disease effect causes a moderate amount of damage, but more importantly causes a Small Ooze to spawn when removed. Small Oozes cannot be taunted, and will slowly pursue the player who they spawned from until they are destroyed. Once the player afflicted by Mutated Infection is outside of the raid, they can be cleansed safely.

When a Small Ooze contacts another ooze, the two will merge to form a Big Ooze. The Big Oozes have a normal threat table, and can be taunted.

The first player with the infection gets clear of the raid, is dispelled, and has to kite his Ooze until a second player is infected. When the second player is infected, he needs to get clear of the raid (preferably in the direction of the other kiter), be dispelled, and kite his Ooze into the other Ooze. From there, the offtank will taunt, tank, and kite the Big Ooze, while subsequent infections run out of the raid to drag their Small Oozes into the Big Ooze until it explodes. Remember: damage never has to attack anything other than Rotface himself. The Oozes will all be consumed by proper execution of the kiting.

Both sizes of Ooze will occasionally fire globs of Sticky Ooze near the player who is kiting them. These globs spawn patches of slime on the floor which reduce movement speed by 50%. They are tossed out inaccurately, and as such are fairly simple to avoid.

Periodically, Professor Putricide will flood a corner of the room with slime. The slime causes a relatively low amount of damage, and a minor snare. This is actually a fairly insignificant mechanic; the kiting tank can still outrun the Big Ooze, the damage ticks are not significant enough to be threatening, and the rest of the raid has no reason to be anywhere near the flooded areas.

Once the Big Ooze absorbs five other oozes, it will begin to explode. The whole raid will need to be aware of the explosion, as a series of ooze droplets will rain down on locations which players were standing at when the explosion occurred. All the raid has to do to counter this is move to an area no one had been standing at. Any of the corner sections that isn’t flooded by slime should be safe. When the slime has finished raining down, the raid resumes their normal positions and starts with the first Small Ooze kite again.

Thanks for watching this movie! As per usual, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more!

TANKING FOOTNOTE:
While the Big Ooze’s initial damage is still manageable, the damage dealt quickly reaches unhealable levels as other oozes are absorbed. We found the Big Ooze was best handled by taunting it free from the raid, then generating a small amount of threat by tanking the Big Ooze through a defensive cooldown for about ten seconds. From that point on, the offtank should kite the ooze around the edge of the room, being careful to keep it away from the raid as it has a point blank AE pulse.

Dreadski
01-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Is there any info on Stinky and Precious? We spent a decent amount of time failing on them last night for sure!

Lore
01-06-2010, 05:42 AM
We've got a Stinky & Precious mini-guide coming, yes :)

Astemus
01-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Our guild was having a fairly difficult time kiting the ooze to keep him out of range of the raid in the center. Basically we were having two problems with this. First, running through the giant green stuff is tough to do, as we've all been conditioned to avoid that stuff, so invariably, the giant ooze would run through the raid, or close enough to damage them, causing many problems. Combined with a tick or two of Rotface's cone or a small slime patch attack was fatal to most people. Second, keeping agro on the big slime from heals as it was kited.

It seems like both of these problems have been addressed here, which is as the off tank kiter, just ignore the large slime puddles. The thing to watch for is a small slime patch in the big one, which will slow you down to 75% speed and do some heavy damage, and also likely result in the slime catching you. Also, tanking the big slime at first with a CD will really help the problem of losing threat to heals.

Crommi
01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Is there any info on Stinky and Precious? We spent a decent amount of time failing on them last night for sure!

As far as 10man version goes:

Precious
-Pull it to the previous room to prevent accidentally aggroing other dog as well.
-Helps if you announce decimate on Vent/TS
-Tanks swap at ~6 stacks of debuff, tank who is free should help with zombies as they spawn.

Stinky
-Pull it to the previous room to prevent accidentally aggroing other dog as well.
-Helps if you announce decimate on Vent/TS
-No zombies, but make sure to top raid up fast after Decimate due to his damage aura.

Splug
01-06-2010, 07:27 AM
It seems like both of these problems have been addressed here, which is as the off tank kiter, just ignore the large slime puddles. The thing to watch for is a small slime patch in the big one, which will slow you down to 75% speed and do some heavy damage, and also likely result in the slime catching you. Also, tanking the big slime at first with a CD will really help the problem of losing threat to heals.

There are some gimmicks you can use to even further reduce the risk of difficulty in the ooze patches. When I had to pool dive in the 25-player version, I hit anti-magic shell and was able to suppress the snare aura. We also had a retribution paladin and holy paladin ready to fire blessing of freedom in the event AMS was on cooldown.

I originally commented in the video about tanking the slimes with a major defensive cooldown (I think I even left a comment about it in the script), but the line had to be pulled. Rotface dies fairly quickly...

-Splug

dagimp007
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
kiting the slime is a little funky, it seems to have a good reach. i was kiting last night and found out there is a fine line of gettign hit and draggin it into the raid (still working on not screw it up)

Twistedhoof
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Best practice is to burn BL at the start of the fight as like Grobbulus from Naxx he debuffs at a slower rate at the beginning allow more DPS time with BL up. Good for both 10 and 25's

In 25's we found the having 2 slime Kiters (both Prot Pallies for us) worked well as we sent the first four slimes to one the next four to the other and then allowed them to merge and explode giving us more time to DPS before spreading to avoid the Missiles.

Also he does not have a frontal cleave the we could see this allows healers and ranged dps to stack up on the outside of his legs and keep the melee directly behind lessening the probability of needing to move for the slime spray.

One thing we noticed is that it is very BAD to clense the debuff as that causes (again like Grobbulus) him to apply the debuff on a new target. Getting progressively quicker as the encounter goes on. It ticks off on it's own.

Raistlin212
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM
The spray attack, I need a little clarification please. When he targets and starts casting, can everyone move out of the way? Or does the target need to stand still to avoid pulling the spray into the group (aka does he turn to follow the targeted person)?

rgho
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
We've got a Stinky & Precious mini-guide coming, yes :)

I watched the Mini guide you posted to Stinky and Precious and I wanted to offer a quick alternative to Stinky for people who are having issues healing after the decimate. We first pulled Precious down to the bottom of the stairs and killed it per your video. Then we cleared Precious' hallway and got the giests down from the pipes and killed them.

On Stinky, while he had patrolled away, we stacked everyone against the wall directly adjacent to the hallyway that Stinky pats down. We had the tanks move out so they were still in line of sight of the healers standing just past the corner of that wall to also get LoS to Stinky, and they pulled Stinky to there. The healers are able to stay out of line of sight of the ae and still heal the tanks. We had the melee dps stand on top of the tanks (zomg! in front of the mob is bad!) and the ranged dps take a step or two away from the wall so they can get LoS to the dog. When decimate was about to occur (or for the slower members of our raid, just after it occured), everyone except the tanks ran up against the wall so they were out of line of sight of the pulsing AE. You can't LoS decimate, that happens anywhere in the instance, but by putting Stinky on that corner the healers can top everyone off out of LoS of the AE and at the same time still heal the tanks. Due to a couple of mistaunts, we had the Mortal Wounds stack too high on a tank to get very much throughput healing him, in that case we had the other tank taunt and had the mortal wounds tank move to the healers (and thus out of LoS) and get some heals where he wasn't eating the AE. This made Stinky really really simple, and the only death we had was someone who didn't move on the first decimate.

Hopefully this is understandable and helps people who are having difficulty with the mob.

EDIT: I drew a pretty picture. Immediately before the decimate (or after or whatever) everyone but the tanks collapse on the blue healer oval and make sure to press up against the wall:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/../photoplog/images/56942/small/1_EasyStinky.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/../photoplog/images/56942/1_EasyStinky.jpg)

xmod2
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
The spray attack, I need a little clarification please. When he targets and starts casting, can everyone move out of the way? Or does the target need to stand still to avoid pulling the spray into the group (aka does he turn to follow the targeted person)?

Treat it like Mimiron phase 2. DPS circles around to avoid the front of the boss.

He picks a target (didn't actually target them for us), spins towards them then starts spraying. He won't turn after the spray begins and then spins back to the tank when it ends.

As for the Mutated Infection. Can anyone confirm that cleansing the debuff causes the next cast to happen sooner? Is it like Grobb where it is time based, or is the cooldown on the move % based? Just curious whether it's better to bloodlust at the beginning to reduce the time of the fight, or to bloodlust at the end to reduce the time spent in the fast cast portion.

Splug
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Treat it like Mimiron phase 2. DPS circles around to avoid the front of the boss.

He picks a target (didn't actually target them for us), spins towards them then starts spraying. He won't turn after the spray begins and then spins back to the tank when it ends.

As for the Mutated Infection. Can anyone confirm that cleansing the debuff causes the next cast to happen sooner? Is it like Grobb where it is time based, or is the cooldown on the move % based? Just curious whether it's better to bloodlust at the beginning to reduce the time of the fight, or to bloodlust at the end to reduce the time spent in the fast cast portion.Re: Slime cone: It seems like he picks a direction and continues to face it until the cast is complete, so you are safe to move as soon as he turns and begins the pre-channel cast.

Re: Infection debuff: We've had multiple people with the debuff, so I do not believe cleansing it has any effect at all on the next ooze spawning. However, that's just personal speculation based on what I saw.

-Splug

zerek2211
01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
It doesn't seem to be mentioned however the trouble we were having was at around roughly 30% he starts to cast mutating injection A LOT faster. We were unable to determine whether this was a faster CD or spawning two at a time.

This essentially caused our priest to be full-time dispelling and bubbling with no GCD's spare for anything else.

My question is how are you guys handling this soft enrage? Is it time based or is it percentage based? We were saving heroism/bloodlust for the end thinking that it was percentage based, however seeming you haven't mentioned it, is it possible that you guys never reached this soft enrage because your dps was high enough?

Essentially it is unmanageable at the end due to too many adds being up our best attempt was about 4% and there were 5 - 6 big oozes running around.

What are others experiencing?

Also one more question, are you running with two or three healers?

Twistedhoof
01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Towards the end of the fight you will have multiple people with the debuff same as Grobbulus. In our Kills last night we did notice that he would immediately reapply the debuff if it got cleansed. Not cleansing helps make the adds more manageable in the early stages of the fight.

Arianne
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
We blew heroism early. I did notice that he started putting the debuff on multiple people at one time near the end of the fight, but it didn't seem to cause a problem for our healers (holy pally and resto druid) in 10. You shouldn't need to change your strat, the big oozes will just explode faster. If you had multiple big oozes then that's an execution failure. If you notice, at 3mins and higher in the video they have multiple debuffs up at one time.

Vanthus
01-07-2010, 07:00 AM
As the kiting off-tank, I ran into a problem last night when I would get the infection while the Big Ooze was chasing me. I could not get my ooze to merge with it, without being close enough to take a 26k hit. Any suggestions?
I also often was taking the cone attack for being in that area. It seemed to hit me even at the very edge of the room. Any way that this can easily be avoided while kiting?

Predakhan
01-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Did anyone else encounter problems with the slimes merging together? Not sure if it was server lag or just the way it happens but the slimes didn't seem to want to merge as expected. Especially the smaller ones to the larger slime.

Do you just need to literally run your little slime right on top of the big ones??

Dreadski
01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Did anyone else encounter problems with the slimes merging together? Not sure if it was server lag or just the way it happens but the slimes didn't seem to want to merge as expected. Especially the smaller ones to the larger slime.

Do you just need to literally run your little slime right on top of the big ones??

We found it best to intersect the path of the kiter so your ooze moves in front of the big ooze, or move in front of the kiter and kite towards.

Mcknight
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
As the kiting off-tank, I ran into a problem last night when I would get the infection while the Big Ooze was chasing me. I could not get my ooze to merge with it, without being close enough to take a 26k hit. Any suggestions?
I also often was taking the cone attack for being in that area. It seemed to hit me even at the very edge of the room. Any way that this can easily be avoided while kiting?
They are able to be snared. As a DK I would just chain them and let the big ooze catch up. If you don't have a snare you could call for help from someone who does.

Kidate
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
As said before, 2 small oozes combine into 1 large. Large oozes absorb small ones untill they reach enough stacks.

However, we experienced that large oozes can combine to. And in some cases they vanish, and in other they join to one and combine their stacks.

Im wondering about this dynamic, if it's a bug or intended. If intended, could the number of stacks relate to if they vanish or combine?

Muffin Man
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

There appeared to be some graphical lag too. The nameplate would disappear from the little ooze but you could still see it. Also getting the first two to merge was painful. Fortunately I saw this post this morning:

MMO-Champion BlueTracker - Recent In-Game Fixes - January 2010 - 1/4 (http://blue.mmo-champion.com/23/22418851790-recent-ingame-fixes--january-2010--14.html)

So hopefully those problems are over with now.

Mell
01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Wondering how you guys are figuring out who he is targeting for the spray.

yiNXs
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Just a tought: does it make sense to kite the ooze with a ranged class, like a hunter f.e.? With it's hard melee hits and slow movement speed it just doesn't seem like it was meant to be kited by a standard tank.

Edit: For those interested, I got an answer here (http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-dungeons/ltrotfacegt-kiting-tech/msg1971585/). It is viable, probably worth trying when there's no paladin offtank.

Fledern
01-08-2010, 05:07 AM
One problem i noticed while kiting the big ooze: I was getting "melee"d at 20 yd range :S. Unless i kept nearly 1/4 of the room between me and the ooze i was getting hit.

Another question: anybody know any a reliable method to pick up the small oozes (the first two)? apparently even shieldslam+devastate, even a taunt afterwards is inadequate to get them off the person who spawned them - even if they dont do anything.

Dreadski
01-08-2010, 05:50 AM
One problem i noticed while kiting the big ooze: I was getting "melee"d at 20 yd range :S. Unless i kept nearly 1/4 of the room between me and the ooze i was getting hit.

Another question: anybody know any a reliable method to pick up the small oozes (the first two)? apparently even shieldslam+devastate, even a taunt afterwards is inadequate to get them off the person who spawned them - even if they dont do anything.

For kiting the big ooze, pop your damage reduction CD (shield wall or whatever) and tank him for a few seconds, giving you good threat lead then run away.

The small oozes do not have a threat table until they merge and become the big ooze, that's why you can't pick them up. This fight relies on everyone, not just the tanks, to coordinate and move. So whoever gets the ooze on them needs to intersect the kiter and physically put their ooze in front of the big ooze.

Quinafoi
01-08-2010, 08:04 AM
For kiting the big ooze, pop your damage reduction CD (shield wall or whatever) and tank him for a few seconds, giving you good threat lead then run away.

The small oozes do not have a threat table until they merge and become the big ooze, that's why you can't pick them up. This fight relies on everyone, not just the tanks, to coordinate and move. So whoever gets the ooze on them needs to intersect the kiter and physically put their ooze in front of the big ooze.

You can always root the first small ooze, and drop the second close enough to the rooted one that they merge, effectively making it so only the actual kiter needs to kite.

Litmas
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Purely out of curiosity, what is up with the infinite 1144 heals your getting? I've been trying to figure out what could possibly heal you for that amount so quickly and the only possible explanation I can come up with is a shadowpriest, but 1144 seems really high. Again, just curious.

kingymech
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
in the skinky vid whats the addon that is showing you what buttons to press, kinda like a rotation?

also im about to go and do this run so thanks for the video.

Splug
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Purely out of curiosity, what is up with the infinite 1144 heals your getting? I've been trying to figure out what could possibly heal you for that amount so quickly and the only possible explanation I can come up with is a shadowpriest, but 1144 seems really high. Again, just curious.That's blizzard's SCT misbehaving due to my outdated version of MSBT. The blizzard SCT isn't even turned on, but for whatever reason any heal that's below the threshold value I've set in MSBT launches half a dozen events in the blizzard SCT. So that wall of +1144 is one tick of lifebloom or something, echoed about 6 times.

-Splug

Swam
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
The only problems I have been having with the kiting show up when people dont merge the small oozes with the big one I kite. All of a sudden Im kiting 3 Big ones from Difirent directions. ouch

Cantona
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM

This doesn't really answer the question of why the OT is getting melee'd by the Big Ooze from range. We had our first attempts last night and our pally OT was complaining about this on nearly every wipe. He would have considerable distance on the Ooze and yet it would still eat his face. Why is he attacking from so far away and what can we do to counter this?

Daimon
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Well, the 25m fight requires a lot of awareness, specially at the end, we manage to get to 50% w/o a single explosion, notice that a warrior tank really sucks at kitting the ooze, the small ooze start with almost infinitive threat on the player (in 10m the number is like 4000k or so) so nothing to do there, but when they merge is when you can try to get aggro, and w only 2 merge you can try to keep meleeing it, but at the 3rd forget it, you get in and you'll get 1 shot and maintain aggro versus healing then is almost imposible for a warrior with only 1 range ability w 1min CD and taunt is not going to help, I'm MT of my guild and I can't do nothing but stay on Rotface the whole time, pally tanks are desirable for the oozes but DKs are optimal, they manage to mitigate the nature dmg of the slime pools very easy, plus IT, DC, Grip is enough to keep it's attention.

In 10m however, the difference between Festergut and Rotface is huge, Festergut can be 1 shot fairly easy, and we spent hours in Rotface, everything fine until we get to 30% then hell breaks lose, too many ooze to handle, we use heroism at 35% to gain extra dps after the "ooze enrage" the lowest we get is to 18%, the hp reduction didn't count for much imho.
Another thing we left to try is that according to our healers a disc priest is not that handy in that fight, MT doesn't get much dmg and strong raid heals are a plus.
Any more ideas?

Trexokor
01-10-2010, 10:00 PM
everything fine until we get to 30% then hell breaks lose, too many ooze to handle, we use heroism at 35% to gain extra dps after the "ooze enrage" the lowest we get is to 18%, the hp reduction didn't count for much imho.
Another thing we left to try is that according to our healers a disc priest is not that handy in that fight, MT doesn't get much dmg and strong raid heals are a plus.
Any more ideas?

2 things.

1) Heroism at the start. This is the single biggest thing you can change as if you hero at the start, most of your raid is still standing and DPSing, as opposed to half of it running around at low HP.

2) Disc is PERFECT for this fight. Slime Spray should be hitting almost no one and the rest of the damage is very predictable. Have them shield the person who gets the mutagin, and bubble all 10 as soon as the big ooze starts casting (should hit all before damage hits, if it hits at all). Other than that, damage is on tank and sometimes kiter, and that's pretty much it. Very handy healer to have here.

Marilee
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM

I was having the same problem on 10 in our first attempts tonight. Kiting went swimmingly until I myself spawned a mini, and had to basically backtrack toward the big ooze to get them to merge since the big never catches up to the mini. I tried hammer of justice to stun the mini, but it seems immune to stuns. (Anybody confirm that (no stuns)? Fight is a bit of a madhouse and maybe I just missed since I'm not currently hit capped ;).) We never tried any snares... but in our raid makeup I'm not sure there is anybody who can reliably snare unfortunately.

The first time I spawned one I used my cooldown to just run back to the big ooze and take a negligible hit, but I spawned another soon after before my cooldown was back up. (Being a pally, I can easily keep aggro on the big one without needing to resort to cooldown+tanking to grab it in the first place.)

Anyway, kiting was very simple until I spawned a mini myself. Trying to think of a way to counter that before our next attempt Monday night. Our first kill might just be RNG on how close together my own mini spawns are.

Lollo
01-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Merging small Oozes to the big ones quickly is essential in winning the fight.

After numerous misses the best way for us in the 25 m version turned out to be like this.

Do NOT dispell until Mutated Infection expires or only dispell it in a very controlled manner if needed. This way you avoid people getting killed because they still have the heal-reduction debuff while standing near the big ooze.

Secondly and what was the best way of merging the small Oozes with the big one was: let the kiters run directly through the big Ooze counter to the direction it moves. The kiters will eat one tick of the big Ooze's AoE damage but this is very easily healable and small Oozes merge 100% as intended.

Alustren
01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
We haven't downed the boss yet, but most of that comes from coordination issues as opposed to the kiting. I'm a warrior tank and I took care of kiting the big slimes as they came out, without much issue. I would hit him with a shield slam when it was first forming then immediately moved out of range, and I rarely ever got hit by it at all.The healers were watching me, and in the event that I did get hit they had heals ready. I also found that both thunderclap and shockwave have quite a generous amount of range on them, and I could keep aggro with both those moves fairly easily.

We also never let the mutagen stay on the target for long, as soon as they were away from the group we cleansed it. It reduced the damage the target took, as well as made them easier to heal, and we never noticed any increase in the mutagen time by doing so.

I should note, however, that this is all on the 10 man version, not the 25.

Daimon
01-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Another thing:

When you get the 1st merge and the big ooze appears, the OT does aggro to it and it start chasing him, after the next merges, does aggro resets? or it keeps the initial tank aggro?

Is advisable to use 2 OTs for the 25m due the increase rate at 30% or 1 is enough?

Alustren
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Aggro stays the same when they merge with the smaller ones. Not sure how it works when the big ones merge, I've always had aggro on both but one was typically a taunt. I'm not sure if it takes the higher aggro amount, an average, or if it's based on which one is absorbed.

Badmonkey.eu
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Source: Vanthus
I also often was taking the cone attack for being in that area. It seemed to hit me even at the very edge of the room. Any way that this can easily be avoided while kiting?I´d the same "problem". The thing is there is no problem.Just ignore the small ooze and kite´em until the big one explodes. So next mutated infektion victim runs to you, letyour ooze and the victim´s merge-> voilá.
I am a warrior Tank so I am pretty much underp concerning kiting the big ooze. If I can do it, you fuckin´gotta do it ;>

There is no need at all as a kiting tank to run back with mutated infektion in order to let em merge! Just ignore the small one until the big one explodes

Marilee
01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I´d the same "problem". The thing is there is no problem.Just ignore the small ooze and kite´em until the big one explodes. So next mutated infektion victim runs to you, letyour ooze and the victim´s merge-> voilá.
I am a warrior Tank so I am pretty much underp concerning kiting the big ooze. If I can do it, you fuckin´gotta do it ;>

There is no need at all as a kiting tank to run back with mutated infektion in order to let em merge! Just ignore the small one until the big one explodes

You know what... I like this plan. Thanks.

Sterbefall
01-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Has anyone conclusively proven whether the Mutated Infection rate is tied to boss health or timed?

Daimon
01-12-2010, 07:08 AM
That is a good question, I have a friend telling that is actually timed, but is not confirmed yet.

Renyojd
01-12-2010, 07:08 AM
A couple of things to add. You can still kite oozes (big and small) onto a big ooze that is casting 'Unstable Ooze Explosion'.

(it says a four second cast, but the aura removed / unit died event occurs about six seconds after the cast begins, as per combat log. I've definately got an example of a small ooze being added to an exploding big ooze five seconds after it started its cast, according to combat log timings.)

This 'absorbs' the added ooze without causing any extra damage / explosions (as far as I can tell from the combat logs).

I have an example of a five stack big ooze begin casting explosion, and then having a three stack big ooze being added - causing: SPELL_AURA_APPLIED_DOSE : Unstable Ooze : 8 BUFF.

We've started two OT'ing this encounter (in 25 man), given the lack of enrage, to ensure that big oozes are well kited (because you just know someones going to go and make a second big ooze to ruin your day! - especially when it locks onto the Pally healer :p ) and minimize explosions (if done properly with two OT's - can just about halve the number).

Also, if your raid has good coordination, you can get your OT's full four stack big oozes, then have them kite them together, and add in any other small oozes people are kiting while the explosion is casting. (At five stacks a big ooze stops moving (I think?) - therefore you'd probably have trouble getting two five stack big oozes in the right place to combine at the right time.)

Also - using multiple OT's - getting four stack big oozes - and kiting them until the boss is dead - is likely the method for getting the achievement. Obviously individual raid memebers could kite small oozes (and may be neccessary if you don't kill Rotface before all you OT's are 'full') - however too many small oozes, especially near the main raid group, with their AoE damage, are going to make your healers very unhappy!

Evilish
01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
So, does anyone know definitively if dispelling the mutation is safe to do, or does this cause him to immediately send out another mutation? We were having trouble determining if this was the case or not, but thought it seemed more hectic when we were dispelling it, so we stopped dispelling people. I'm seeing conflicting posts on this thread about this subject.

zaubade
01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
So, does anyone know definitively if dispelling the mutation is safe to do, or does this cause him to immediately send out another mutation? We were having trouble determining if this was the case or not, but thought it seemed more hectic when we were dispelling it, so we stopped dispelling people. I'm seeing conflicting posts on this thread about this subject.

I would also like to know as this could drastically change our strat.

First time my ten man hit this last night... (only had time for 4 attempts,and they did not go so well)

Wunhunglo
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM

I also would love to know this.

We were short on time last night. Managed to get the boss down close to 33% a few times but would always get an unlucky break for our kiting tank and he would get 2 shotted.

Slowing down the Mutated Infection rate would be the biggest help. If no one has tested this on Wednesday, I will let you guys know what I find.

Baervar
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Has anyone conclusively proven whether the Mutated Infection rate is tied to boss health or timed?

I was actually wondering the same D:

Wunhunglo
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I reviewed a few combat logs and it appears to be a bit random and does not correlate with when it is cleansed. It appeared to happen more frequently towards the end of the fight though.

The rate at the beginning of the fight was around 13~ seconds between Mutated Infection applications. Towards the end of the fight it was closer to 8 seconds.

If a player takes 12 ticks, that means they were not cleansed as the debuff lasts 12 seconds. I noticed a few times where the infected player would only take 3-4 ticks and the application time was still 13~ seconds from when the last person received the debuff initially.

I would conclude that the best strategy is to have the infected person run as fast as possible to the big slime and cleanse right away to make it easier on the healers and maximize DPS.

If anyone else sees something different, please correct me.

Tyler
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

We tried this encounter tonight on 25 man.
And we ran into some nasty problems once the big ooze exploded. somehow after an explosion we had 4-5 little oozes up all around the room. These were not sticky oozes from the debuff and they had a threat meter.
What I would like to know is how do you avoid these or how do you deal with them?

They wiped us over and over again, and some times they merged and spawned a big one that exploded 20 sec after the first explosion.
the tactic doesn't say anything about this.
another thing is, is it possible to avoid the slime from the explosion, or does it always hit 10 ppl no matter what?

Cheers
Tyler

Purechaos
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Wev been having a few issues on both and its mainly the ooz kiting.

Im a prot pally and the way we have it set up is that il kite the ooz, people will run with the debuff to me and il cleanse it to get it into the ooz.

However what always seems to snag me is to avoid the giant green stuff while trying to get away from the big ooz and il hit a snag and get hit by the big one.

So i see that you guys run through it, does Blessing of freedom work going through the slowing ooz.

Badmonkey.eu
01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
As I said on last site there is no need to avoid the "Giant green stuff". Just run through the soup. With the 25% slow you should still be able to kite the ooze properly, At least I am. As you said BoF works here, but if you´re not a paladin you can also run through it without beeing hit.If you are a Dk, you can use Antimagical (dunno the english word) whatever You gotta choose if you want to run back right through the big ooze and get 2 30-40k hits or to the soup and get 2-3k per second.

Derrick
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
BoF works? Then why does it matter if you're a paladin, as long as you *have* one in the group?

Badmonkey.eu
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
good point ;>. Dunno I just didn´t need it. The damage isn´t avoidable and the slow is just lol. If they intended to force a tank to avoid the soup they should have used 50% oder 75%

Satyra
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
My guild had several tries on rotface last night, all ending up with a wipe, sadly :(

Seems like we are failing around 25-30% hp left.

Everything works very nicely at first. We group up into 2 groups avoiding slime sprays flawlessly. When the infection is triggered we have the first player infected kiting him near the off-tank, and merge em with the 2nd player infected. Off tank taunts it and the kiting starts. Everything works fine during the first explosion, no one is affected by the rain. And we repeat the process. Around 30% things are starting to get out of hands for us.

We had several tries with 2 big oozes up at 1 time = epic wipe.

I think our main problem is that we are too slow with merging the oozes with the big one, and the slime pools. Since the Off-tank will run thu the slime pools while kiting it we (the kiters) will have to run past it and merge it when it comes out of the pools. We have tried running thru the pools aswell but we mostly end up dying by doing so. So from time to time we have 2 infected at the same time with a big ooze up and running. And in all the "chaos" we manage to merge another big add together instead of merging em with the big add.

I don't know why we fail at 25-30% since the first %s is very easy. Will he start to cast infections faster at some point, which means you need to be faster with the merging or? We also decided to use heroism and such at 30% since we are starting to have a difficult time by then, for whatever reason.

Another thing is that sometimes the off-tank seems to loose aggro from the big add and it will start moving to the middle and kill everything in It's way. And also that the main tank sometimes happens to aggro a small slime that should be kited by the infected one.

Anyone that might know some soloutions to this? ^^

Badmonkey.eu
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Firstly: what kind of offtank do u use? The Best would be a Dk , the worst a warrior, but as a warrior you just need a little bit more tricks. If its a warrior he should use shieldwall as soon as the big add spawns and go max aggro until shield wall runs out. Then he should go on range and use heroic throw on cd. that should be enough. Further more at least I recognized that there certainly is some kind of soft enrage timer since the adds are spawning faster and faster throughout the entire fight. I recommend using heroic strike and all cds you have as soon as every dd is dpsing, so right after pull. You can ignore the first mutated infektion (just heal it and let it pop) and as soon as the 2nd ooze spawns the 2 guys should run to out of the raidcamp to the OT and let em merge. If your raiddps is nice, that should work and there are not going to be as much problems as you said @ 20-30% .
I believe that there is a timer and that there is no enrage bound to health or something. So Imho It makes sense to use heroism at the beginning in order to ensure max dps.

Splug
01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
There does not appear to be any correlation between dispelling the disease and a new one being cast. Cleanse when it is convenient, there is no need to let the diseases always go their full duration.

I still do not know if the infection speed-up is based on boss health or total encounter duration. If someone wants to find out, the easiest way would be to tank him for 4-5 minutes without doing damage, and just checking how fast the spawns are. It should be a very simple test to perform.

-Splug

Daimon
01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
that is exactly our guild plan tonight, 1-2 attempts w/o doing any dmg, just execution, to see th real pattern and make ppl more familiar w the mechanics.

Predakhan
01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
There does not appear to be any correlation between dispelling the disease and a new one being cast. Cleanse when it is convenient, there is no need to let the diseases always go their full duration.

I still do not know if the infection speed-up is based on boss health or total encounter duration. If someone wants to find out, the easiest way would be to tank him for 4-5 minutes without doing damage, and just checking how fast the spawns are. It should be a very simple test to perform.

-Splug

Considering how many guilds including my own that are having problems around the 30% range I would say it is percentage based not timed. Things seem to speed up considerably around this time and lead to the chaos that is causing the wipes. I am not stating this as a fact just that so many people have had the same problems at the same time.

Splug
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd suspect it's percentage of boss health related as well, but keep in mind that most people are going to reach the 30% mark at roughly the same point in the timeline, and it's much easier to note the boss health than the elapsed encounter duration. I really don't know; I have oozes targetted the whole time, I just know that things seem to get a bit more hectic toward the end.

-Splug

Protempora
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I can confirm that the rate of infection is in fact, A FUNCTION OF TIME, and not the bosses health. After trying to figure this out in a number of ways, we decided to actually try an attempt just to check.

We pulled the boss, and just had everyone white swing. Sure enough, the rate of adds spawning increased while the boss stayed at nearly 100%. I would also like to confirm (With no real data or tests to show for it) that the 3 min 'soft enrage' everyone talks about seems to be accurate. I believe someone fraps the attempt, I'll post a link for it later if anyone cares to pay closer attention to the rate and the time we spent fighting the boss.

Dreadski
01-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I can confirm that the rate of infection is in fact, A FUNCTION OF TIME, and not the bosses health. After trying to figure this out in a number of ways, we decided to actually try an attempt just to check.

We pulled the boss, and just had everyone white swing. Sure enough, the rate of adds spawning increased while the boss stayed at nearly 100%. I would also like to confirm (With no real data or tests to show for it) that the 3 min 'soft enrage' everyone talks about seems to be accurate. I believe someone fraps the attempt, I'll post a link for it later if anyone cares to pay closer attention to the rate and the time we spent fighting the boss.

If that's the case I think I'm going to try the dispell method so my dps can stop running oozes faster and get back. Our best attempt was about 32% and it was not hectic, it was hellish the rate they were spawning.

Ehaw
01-14-2010, 07:28 AM
When my guild was doing Rotface last night, we had a couple of problems. Mainly was me, the Off-tank/kiter, had to kite through the melee/healers because of the green ooze (slime, whatever) that comes out of 1/4th the room. Which would cause the middle of the room to die.

Is it completely necessary to avoid that, or could I possibly walk through it while trying to get out of it? Also, since I'm a warrior I have very few (long ranged) snares. Can the big ooze be rooted at all? We had a Boomkin in the raid so that would help.

Protempora
01-14-2010, 07:29 AM
During the time that we were making attempts to check on the mutagen timer we also made a few attempts to check on the "Dispell vs not-dispell" question.

Although we weren't really able to say if the dispelling made a considerable difference on the rate they spawned (I'm tempted to say no, because there are plenty of times at the start with no mutagens up, and plenty at the end with 2 or 3 up regardless of dispells) we did find that it seemed to make the fight considerably less hectic. It allowed the raid healer we were using for dispells to focus on healing, and the dps was allowed a considerably longer time to move out of the raid then if it were dispelled as soon as it landed. It also gave them a lot of time to find the big ooze and get there (something I know a lot of guilds have been having a hard time with; poor add merging that is).

That being said, it might have just been we were getting a better handle on the fight and add control, but it seemed to make a big difference on our attempts (10% vs 30-35% wipes). If your raid is still having issues not panicing as the fight goes on, I'd give this a few attempts and see how it works out for you.

Surmaaja
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM
When my guild was doing Rotface last night, we had a couple of problems. Mainly was me, the Off-tank/kiter, had to kite through the melee/healers because of the green ooze (slime, whatever) that comes out of 1/4th the room. Which would cause the middle of the room to die.

Is it completely necessary to avoid that, or could I possibly walk through it while trying to get out of it? Also, since I'm a warrior I have very few (long ranged) snares. Can the big ooze be rooted at all? We had a Boomkin in the raid so that would help.

You can just walk trough that, damage it does is trivial and the slowing effect can be negated with blessing of freedom. Big ooze can't be rooted.

Alustren
01-15-2010, 06:18 AM
During the time that we were making attempts to check on the mutagen timer we also made a few attempts to check on the "Dispell vs not-dispell" question.

Although we weren't really able to say if the dispelling made a considerable difference on the rate they spawned (I'm tempted to say no, because there are plenty of times at the start with no mutagens up, and plenty at the end with 2 or 3 up regardless of dispells) we did find that it seemed to make the fight considerably less hectic. It allowed the raid healer we were using for dispells to focus on healing, and the dps was allowed a considerably longer time to move out of the raid then if it were dispelled as soon as it landed. It also gave them a lot of time to find the big ooze and get there (something I know a lot of guilds have been having a hard time with; poor add merging that is).

That being said, it might have just been we were getting a better handle on the fight and add control, but it seemed to make a big difference on our attempts (10% vs 30-35% wipes). If your raid is still having issues not panicing as the fight goes on, I'd give this a few attempts and see how it works out for you.

That's how we've done all our attempts thus far. I know people say the debuff is easy to heal through to he duration, but the longer that dps is sitting with the debuff the less time they are attacking the boss. In addition, the debuff ticks faster than the damage of the slime, and taking away the healing reduction keeps risk factors down. We dispell the debuff as soon as the character is out of the raid group.

zevah
01-17-2010, 07:39 PM

If that's the case, my friend, you just make my day... we have been wiping on this boss for like a week, i really HATE him.... we are going to test a different strat tomorrow...

EDIT: Well' i researched a bit and it IS a funciton of time.... The infection timers goes like this...

14-14-14-14-12-12-12-12-10-10-10-10-8-8-8-8-8-8-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

it can be delayed by a slime spray cast so it's not 100% accurate.

It is safe to cast Bloodlust at the start of the fight to get the most of it...

Thanks for the head up ^^

Wailynn
01-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Hello,

I got a question about the mutual infection Rotface does.
Lookin at the kill movies above, I noticed that you get your first Big Ooze to blow up at about 3 minutes into the fight. However, We seem to struggle killing this boss and keep our DPS up because we have to move from the ooze explosion a lot earlier in the fight. As I said the explosion in the above movies was at around 3 minutes of combat where we seem to get it even before we hit the 2 minute mark, which is odd as well.

I've been reading the other messages here and it seems that you should NOT dispell the infection debuff as this speeds up the pace people get infected. So probably that is the reason why we keep wiping on Rotface. I just want to know if it is confirmed thats NOT dispelling gives you more time untill the first explosion. Else it might just be us not being ready for this boss yet. Our main problem is the speed we get our first explosion at, it's more then a minute difference then the movies above...!

Thanks in advance.

Djtk
01-18-2010, 06:17 AM
From my understanding, If you dispell it off the person, thent he baby ooze drops and begins to move around.

Dreadski
01-18-2010, 06:42 AM
From my understanding, If you dispell it off the person, thent he baby ooze drops and begins to move around.

We haven't been dispelling and I think that's our problem. DPS should just drop the poo and run back to position and DPS.

Evilish
01-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Dispelling is key, makes the fight so much easier and less healing, less dps time off the boss, we successfully got Rotface down (with only 7 players left alive) and all I can say for the last 20% or so is just panicked healing. Even if people are good and don't get hit by sprays and explosions, he begins putting out 3 and even 4 mutations at a time, and they seem to tick a lot harder as the fight goes on. If you don't dispell them it's hard for heals to keep up. Also for this reason, a bloodlust at the start is useful, because only one person at a time is off the boss for the first half, as well as the fact that the mutations go out based on time, so BL when the highest dps is available and everyones CDs are up is the most effective. If people start dying don't give up, we finished with 3 healers, our two tanks and 2 dps as the only standing players for the last 5% of his health.

Dreadski
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
So Evilish you advocate dispelling all or as many as possible, correct?

Purechaos
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
1- Rotface has a soft enrage at 3 mins, what i mean by soft is the frequency past the 3 min mark of the Mutating ooz starts increasing at 3 mins. So you really have two choices you either bust him in the face early with BL to knock down as much as possible as quick as possible. We went with blowing it right at the start to start taking health away, with this in mind, its a 2 healer fight. You want to burn before that 3 min mark before it starts getting hectic and there is more moving. So Beating the shit out of him early is great cause the speed stays steady.

2- I did the dispelling(im MT with my guild and figured it would be better if i kited). I was OT and Dispelled, in short the second you got the debuff you ran to me and i got rid of it as quick as possible. REMEMBER THE OOZ HAS TO JUST TUCH THE BIG ONE, THATS IT, once it touches your done, even if it chases you it will disappear if you touched it once.

ALSO little oozes can be snared, so if your a mage go to the kiter, get it dispelled and frost nova and blink out, the kiter can just make sure it goes over it and BAM.

Druids can use natures grasp if they have it.

Remember the whole touching it thing is important because you can get out quick.

3- IMPORTANT NOTE FOR HEALERS! When you have two healing is zomg important and taking a break from it is a issue. For slime as a healer when the big ooz is up you have to suck it up and run fast.

HOWEVER if you are well aware of where you have the debuff before the big ooz is out run out a little and stop and heal and take the dmg. We made sure it was the job of the nonhealer before the big ooz was out to combined them.

Dreadski
01-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Much appreciated. I'll have our priest or druid healer go DPS and the pally tank who's kiting will be the dispeller.

Evilish
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah dispell as many as you can, if OT can do it that'd be prime because they can easily see if someone is in a good position to drop a slime

Kari
01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
We had a problem with the mutated infections where the player who got the disease would run out of the raid, be cleansed, and then the slime would go after someone else in the raid. I was under the impression that the slime got aggro on the person who had the infection so that they could kite them until two combined and the OT picked up the newly formed big ooze. Are we doing something wrong?

Chappy867
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Ya the same thing is happening to us. The little ooze is spawning and just B-lines into the raid, as if someone had taunted it.

Litmas
01-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Our guild found that occasionally the small slimes will be affected by a path bug, where when two small slimes are about to join, they head to the center of the room and then join. This could possibly be what is causing those problems.

Vorla
01-19-2010, 08:05 AM
We had a problem with the mutated infections where the player who got the disease would run out of the raid, be cleansed, and then the slime would go after someone else in the raid. I was under the impression that the slime got aggro on the person who had the infection so that they could kite them until two combined and the OT picked up the newly formed big ooze. Are we doing something wrong?

Any aggro-reducing/resetting abilities will affect the little slimes. They have a perfectly normal aggro table, but can't be taunted and start with half a mill of threat on the player it spawned from. If someone has Mirror images up or Vanishes/FD's, it'll go to the next target on it's list - most probably a healer, who will be standing with the raid, hence the movement.

Natal
01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
We have been having the same problem, where the little slimes go in the center of the raid right after a dispel.

I tank and even saw a little slime go right through the big slime!!! And this caused us to wipe because it went to the center near all the healers. We couldn't believe it went right through, I wish i was recording it to show.

Anyways, we think it may be because our mage blinked away from it and it somehow glitched it.

Anyways this fight has been very very frustrating, we must have wiped about 50 times last week, only getting him down to 40%.

littlewillie
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Sorry if some of this is redundant. I thought I would share what my 10-man learned in our 30 or so attempts before we got him last week.

Heroism/Bloodlust after the first slime spray. This is about 10 seconds into the fight and gives maximum DPS for classes which need ramp up time, while still taking advantage of the infrequent Mutated Infections.
All healers should DPS at the start since damage received is very minimal.
When there is no big ooze up, have a designated spot for people to meet up. We tanked him in the center of the room and used the door as a fixed location. If there was a flood we stood just outside of it for this part.
Kiting OT does not need to be all the way up against the wall. The Big Ooze’s radiating damage has a small radius, so keeping him closer to the raid allows for shorter travel time equating to more DPS.
Our kill took >27k raid DPS and 4:33. This seems to be about the average kill time from what I’ve seen of 10-man logs.

Regards,
Lil' Willie

Ventfou
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I read all the four pages and i have seen any oen mention about the OT geting a MD.

I have a realy good hunter in my group that is awsome at target swaping and MD. All i had to do was to do big circle around the boss and cast FF feary fire every time i could. I didn't had to take one beat of it and no healer could get agro either.

so much easier on healer

littlewillie
01-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I read all the four pages and i have seen any oen mention about the OT geting a MD.

I have a realy good hunter in my group that is awsome at target swaping and MD. All i had to do was to do big circle around the boss and cast FF feary fire every time i could. I didn't had to take one beat of it and no healer could get agro either.

so much easier on healer

I'm a prot pally and I would drop consecrate right as the two Little Ooze would get together, then back away, tab target the Big Ooze, taunt/throw shield, and run. I would throw my shield every 30 seconds and drop consecrate in his path and my healers never got higher than 30% threat. I would imagine a DK could do similar with DnD and IT/DC. I could imagine being the kiting tank is harder as a bear or warrior.

Side note. Our 10-man two healed this fight yesterday with a disc priest and pally allowing our tree to go boom giving us a nice dps boost. Our kill took 40 seconds less time (3:48) and the fight was much smoother.

Regards,
Lil' Willie

Quinafoi
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I tank and even saw a little slime go right through the big slime!!! And this caused us to wipe because it went to the center near all the healers. We couldn't believe it went right through, I wish i was recording it to show.

Keep in mind, proximity is only part of what causes the small slimes to be absorbed. The actual mechanic is caued by the damaging aura. Until the aura ticks and is in range to hit the other slime, it will not draw it in. It is possible, however unlikely, that the slime can skip the ticks of the aura and miss merging if it is pulled away too quickly.

Marissa
01-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Judging from our wipes, we found Rotface 10 harder than 25. We've made a number of changes to our 'plan of attack' which may or may not help you.

-We ran with two healers instead of three. This really helped us and sort of made us kick ourselves after spending the night wiping with 3 healers. While from our tries people's health reaching 0 was the main cause of death, as I'm sure it is for everyone else, the excess healing just didn't help.

-I have this campaign against Slime Spray. Not that I've compared numbers but I consider it a void zone in effect. No one should be hit by it. On the whole most people in melee will avoid it. For use at least, the problem comes when people aren't next to the boss and either forget or have this misguided notion they won't be hit. This occurs when the ozee explodes or when people have the debuff on them.

-The debuff I have assumed is what kills most people. Or more, the healing debuff that comes as a fun little extra. For this reason I like to be dispelled sooner rather than later. While dispelling instantly is -bad-. Once you are out of melee I would. The slime's melee and aura may hit harder than the debuff, but it doesn't nerf the healing you need.

-Alot of deaths from the healing debuff comes from when the player in question is hit by either the Big Ozees Aura or Slime Spray. Taking heavy damage with a healing debuff will kill you at the later end of the fight, hence the need to avoid damage and dispel fast (but not too fast, just when out of the raid)

-As a warlock who likes to take damage to prove I can 'handle it' I feel there is a stage in the fight where you 'Ignore the tactics, Nuke him'. This is where you stay spread out after an explosion, and just focus on damage and ignore the tactics. For us it was 10% or around that marker. It removes the Big Ozees from play taking out a source of AoE damage.

Nahimana
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Just as a clarification, I see folks mentioning that you can just run through the large pools of slime that cover a quarter of the room when kiting the big ooze. This is on 25s correct? I run a 10 man guild and we're having difficulties with this encounter, would running through the slime pools on 10s be viable?

Kazeyonoma
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Just as a clarification, I see folks mentioning that you can just run through the large pools of slime that cover a quarter of the room when kiting the big ooze. This is on 25s correct? I run a 10 man guild and we're having difficulties with this encounter, would running through the slime pools on 10s be viable?

We have a DK doing the kiting, and he runs through the slimes as well in 10 man, he skirts the edge (so don't go running blatantly through it if you can avoid it), but we've found popping a cd, or using AMS when that happens is easier than trying to manage where the slime pools have been/are going to be.

Nahimana
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, we'll see what happens tonight!

sillypuddy
01-25-2010, 01:33 AM
so just to clarify 10man this IS a 2 healer fight right? blowing hero in the beginning?

Quinafoi
01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
so just to clarify 10man this IS a 2 healer fight right? blowing hero in the beginning?

Really depends on your raid. Rotface is more technical than Festergut and Festergut is more of a gear/skill check. You don't need to go out of your way to have extra DPS on Rotface because it's a lot more leaniant with the time you have to kill him, the fight is more about proper execution. Granted the simple truth of DPS always holds true, if the boss dies faster you don't have to execute it correctly as long.

It's really up to your raids personal preference. That said, if you're having problems killing him with 3 healers, try it with 2 and see if that helps. It's not as black and white as say Anub'arak in ToC was.

Purechaos
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Really depends on your raid. Rotface is more technical than Festergut and Festergut is more of a gear/skill check. You don't need to go out of your way to have extra DPS on Rotface because it's a lot more leaniant with the time you have to kill him, the fight is more about proper execution. Granted the simple truth of DPS always holds true, if the boss dies faster you don't have to execute it correctly as long.

It's really up to your raids personal preference. That said, if you're having problems killing him with 3 healers, try it with 2 and see if that helps. It's not as black and white as say Anub'arak in ToC was.

I still have to disagree with this. I see a few people saying this everytime, they are both DPS races. Rotface is a Execution fight with a natural enrage so its not 5 mins and we all die, its a i cant handle the ooz anymore.

If you can get around the 30-40% mark in around 3 mins then w/e your setup is fine

i dont wish to impede on tankspot but i have my own video you can check, it might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKaU8ig8bc

Quinafoi
01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I still have to disagree with this. I see a few people saying this everytime, they are both DPS races. Rotface is a Execution fight with a natural enrage so its not 5 mins and we all die, its a i cant handle the ooz anymore.

If you can get around the 30-40% mark in around 3 mins then w/e your setup is fine

i dont wish to impede on tankspot but i have my own video you can check, it might help.

Please read what you quote. You are in no way disagreeing with me. I said Rotface is a technical fight and doesn't require heavy DPS. I said it depends on their specific raid whether 2 or 3 healers works for them. If you disagree, you are saying it requires a set number of healers but you do not answer the question.

However, I did make the comment that any boss that dies faster, has less time to do its abilities. That fact always holds true. If you kill Ragnaros before he submerges, he doesn't submerge. That's the fundamental concept of DPS. If whatever it is you are fighting dies faster, you don't have to deal with as many of its abilities.

Trynthlas
01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Definitely the best 10 man Rotface video I have found, and that's saying a lot because I've watched probably 20+. Thanks!

Arorot
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
We're struggling with this guy on 25 man, I lost track of the attempts but I'm guessing 30+ so far. 10 man was a steep learning curve as well but we've downed him a couple times with more then 1 ten man group. Even got him to 523k in 25 man that was heartbreaking.

Some things to note that I haven't seen posted:

Make absolutely sure your DK's are not using Army of the Dead on this encounter. I suppose at the very start its possible but anytime after can be a death sentence the reason being is that if the DK is hit by the Big Oozes radiation they will flip out and pull the big ooze off your kiter into the raid. Result, dead raid.

Someone else mentioned running head on into the Big Ooze with your little one results in a merge every time, I can confirm this. You will take a good 9-10k dmg tick but its a reliable way to make them merge. Healthstones are your friend here.

We actually pre speed potion 1 second before the pull to give us a 8-12 second haste buff to the raid.
Since i am the shaman I then pop Elemental Mastery wait for it to run out then blow heroism. It coincides well with the first slime spray and even though 1 or 2 people are out merging slimes it allows us to make the most of our DPS.
We then use a 2nd Haste Pot about 30 seconds after Heroism has faded, the slimes have sped up at this point but aren't near the 6 second intervals yet.

For those having a rough time on ten man my team has downed him using 2 and 3 healers so you can go either way on it. I actually kited while the DK tank went DPS spec. Being an elemental shaman it had some advantages, I can agro the big ooze safely from range easily hitting it with Flame Shock and Lava Burst while still maintaining a safe kiting distance.
Also on the little oozes I frost shock them or earthbind totem root them so the infected player has more room for error in merging them without being gibbed by the little ooze and the big oozes radiation.

Its really not so bad to have a range as your kiter as long as your OT can go into a DPS spec that doesn't hurt the overall raid DPS alot. I am still able to maintain some damage on rotface as I kite as well whereas most tanks will not be able to contribute any damage to the boss while kiting.

Inashne
02-10-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't usually post here but i need real serious advice.

My guild has been on Rotface since his release. We've made improvements on our attempts but we have been wiping on him for the last 4 weeks now. My raiders are getting very frustrated on this fight.

Our strat is to immediatly flip Rotface around and have him face the back wall. DPS gets into a semi-circle around him to deal with the slime spray. Our first Infected member runs to the north wall to our Off-tank then runs around counter clockwise, making adjustments (changing directions) as the slime pours in. The second and every following injected member runs in the general direction of our OT (marked) and quickly passes the Big ooze to merge it. We repeat the process until our first explosion, we run to the walls as soon as the Big ooze pops and then run back to our same positions as soon as it is safe. This repeats until we start dying off, usualy in the last -1.3mil. We have Lust popped a couple of injections in. We can get him down to less than 1 Million HP, even had several where he was under 200k. Our best was 156k.

On a side not, i just read about not cleansing infections. I know for fact that myself and our ele shaman had every infection cleansed off us once we were in position to drop it. Making this change to my guild's strategy.

We also noticed a couple things last night that just didn't seem right.

-Oozes would spawn from our rogue on the outer wall then chase our Priest. After taking a couple bites out of her, they would run straight to our Resto druid, or some combination of members. We had one instance where it wen straight for our MT after spawning from another member.

-When merging 2 Small Oozes we had 2 instance where the oozes would not merge, then run right under Rotface and merge under him only to get caught in our Paladin tank's consecration.

Any help our advice is much appreciated.

Quinafoi
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Any help our advice is much appreciated.

Ways to mess up aggro on small Ooze:
Any of these can cause the Small Ooze to follow different aggro rules. Mirror Images explicitly gives aggro to the images rather than the player. Everything else results in either a temporary or permanent drop in threat. This list isn't all inclusive, though should be most of the mechanics which cause unpredictable behavior.
Dying
Mirror Images
Invisibility
Ice Block
Vanish
Feign Death
Hand of Protection
Divine Intervention
Divine Shield
Shadowmeld

Ways to mess up aggro on Big Ooze:
Pets that automatically taunt, very bad.
Army of the Dead

Other possible mistakes:
Running back to raid prior to confirming a merge, only one can merge at a time. It's not an exact science but until you see yours merge, you shouldn't be running back to the middle. You, the infected party, are responsible for making yours merge. No one else is responsible for this but you. If yours doesn't merge, it's your fault, no one elses.

Ambrya
02-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Aliena, which addons are you using, if I can ask?

Kazeyonoma
02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Aliena, which addons are you using, if I can ask?

UI compilation forum ->

Ambrya
02-23-2010, 01:54 AM
My bad.
Thanks for the info ;)

Shortypop
02-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Quoting Inashne: "our Off-tank then runs around counter clockwise, making adjustments (changing directions) as the slime pours in."

I'd strongly recommend your OT sticks to one direction throughout the fight (clockwise or anticlockwise), the damage from slime pouring in is pretty low and pally blessing of freedom will prevent the slow, he basically summons small slimes faster and faster through the fight (I've simplified the mechanics a bit) and so for the last 30% you need to merge small slimes quickly otherwise you can potentially have 2 or more large slimes up at one - not an instant wipe but can be a real pain! Sticking to one direction makes it easier for guildies to predict where the OT will be and run out fast.

uffdabock
02-23-2010, 04:32 AM
In either 10 or 25m I suggest having your ranged dps / healers stand in-front of the boss while the melee stays behind. This means that ~1/2 the time the ranged will have to stop casting and move. If all the ranged are behind the boss, every time Rotface slime sprays ALL of the ranged have to stop casting and move. That is a considerate amount of dps loss and hard on the healers. But that is what people do for reasons I am unaware of.

Wowikki has this info: In regular intervals, Rotface uses Slime Spray. He turns in a random direction (this ability is not targeted on specific players). However, I find this debatable. Every time I have fought Rotface, 90% of the dps/healers were behind the boss and his slime spray targeted to that side almost every time.

From my experience on my arcane mage, doing it both ways, I've increased my dps by ~1000 by standing in the front, reducing the amount of wasted GCD's by ~10-15 per attempt. You could also have just the healers in the front, if healing is the issue, to reduce the amount of times the front gets the spray. Personally, If I was the RL of a hardcore, hard mode guild, I would have the casters without many instants in their rotation stand in the front. [EX] Holy Paladin, Resto shaman, Arcane mage, Destro lock, etc.
If anyone sees an issue with this strat let me know.

Quinafoi
02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Slime spray is very easy to avoid. You don't have to be completely out of in front of him. It's like a 45-90 degree cone. We just basically scatter around the boss instead of having fixated positions. If the boss turns in your direction you have to move a step or two depending on if he was targeting you or the person next to you. Think of it like a clock face. If you have the raid split into 12 groups around the boss and the boss looks at 2 o'clock to cast... 2 o'clock people need to move to either 12 or 4 (at least 2 away) while 1 and 3 people need to move only 1 away. Now only 1 quarter of your raid has to move instead of half of it. People who typically do better on DPS for this fight actually minimize their movement, if they only have to take one step, they will take one and resume their role.

Saent
02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Unless something has changed since 2 weeks ago when I MTed him last, the target of slime spray is displayed in the target-of-target frame while the initial channeled cast is happening. We were calling out the target and everyone else's move direction when he picked someone.

Bluezoo
03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I have a problem with this fight. In one of my 10man's for ICC. Our group two is stuck with two warrior tanks. I'm wondering what skills a warrior needs to use in-order to kite that big ooze.

Thanks

Duvon
03-15-2010, 03:21 AM
As a warrior tank, I can kite the ooze just fine.
Thunderclap, demoshout and shockwave makes for great aggro on them, without actually getting into meleerange.
If 2 big ozes spawn, I taunt the second and use heroic throw on it.
I also throw a shieldblock-shieldslam on each newly-spawned Big ooze (they are stunned for about 1-2 sec right when spawning).

Daimon
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
is there a video for the HM of this fight? 10 or 25

Belicia
04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
is there a video for the HM of this fight? 10 or 25

No video, but it's really, really easy. The only real change is that you need to keep some people at range because the vomiting mechanic from Festergut is active. So just have some 7 or 8 ranged DPS (3 in 10man) spread out around the boss, 10-15 yards away from everyone.

Also, the slime pools now slow players down a lot more, so watch out for them.

Other than that, it's the same fight. The oozes begin to spawn quite fast near the end of it, but it's still no big deal.

Strangesharm
06-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Are there no videos of Rotface herioc? cant seem to find them anywhere :)

Jjvalour
06-15-2010, 01:06 AM
We are having real trouble with the oozes. Not so much with getting them to combine, actually that part's pretty easy, but staying alive while kiting them.
Both myself and the DK tank tried our hand at it, both times the oozes beat the snot out of and killed us before we even hit 50% on Rotface. In the end, we just had the hunters do it, since they were the only ones who seemed to be able to stay alive while doing it.
I'm not sure if we were doing something wrong with mechanics or abilities, or if we just lack on HP for that particular component of the fight...

Daimon
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
idk what you mean by you cant stay alive kitting? you dont "tank" them, you just get enough aggro and run in a circle, and a DK is the best tank for it, IT and DC spam and you're set. A DK can even be in DPS gear:
For that fight you need a check list like this one:
1- Does the disease gets dispelled ASAP AND the player with the little ooze runs out immediately to meet the the other small ooze or big ooze (a common mistake is ppl running toward the kitter instead the ooze)
2- Does ppl stack in the middle, behind the boss?
3- Does everybody moves away the vile spray?
4- Does everybody runs out right when DBM tells you to run and not before nor after?
5- Does the kitter tank ensures the ooze doesn't spit in melee by facing the ooze in any other direction?
6- You cast BL/heroism at the beginning?
7- Is your raid DPS low like bellow 6k or lower?
8- Does your MT dies when ppl is running away from the explosion?
9- Does the raid regroup properly after an explosion?
10- Does the kitter runs too close or too far away from the raid? too close gives extra dmg, too far is a bigger lost in DPS and possibly oozes stacking fast at the end.

See if that helps you.

Saent
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
All I have ever done on that fight is ooze management, so....

Its pretty much a pure kite fight for the OT.

1. Keep enough threat to prevent the big ooze from agroing the healers.
2. Keep your pathing circle wide enough that the big ooze AE doesn't tick on the raid
3. Prepare WELL in advance if you need to change directions due to the ooze tanks flooding in your path
4. Runspeed enchant your boots
5. Don't get caught
6. Chains of ice is your friend...especially with increased range and reduced cost talents
7. Don't get caught
8. If you do have to run through the flood...use every damned cooldown you have, you'll need it

Regarding the person asking about heroic mode videos, if you were doing it properly on easy mode, its the exact same fight with an extra stun/snare coming in randomly from putricide. Nothing really significant changes unless you were somehow cutting corners in the easy mode version of the fight. More health, more damage, less margin for error.

obiwayne
07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Quick question, when there's the unstable ooze explosion (aka "angry poo-poo") does the MT (who is tanking Rotface) move as well? I notice in the video that Rotface stays where he is (along with a couple of the trees), but I usually run along with everyone else, and then bring Rotty back to the middle of the room after the explosion. Is this point unnecessary?

Kazeyonoma
07-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I moved because if enough of them hit you they will kill you.

Livoranias
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi. (Paladin Tank)
My guild barely has enough people on vent for this fight most of the time, I am the offtank though, and whenever i get the slimes, people always run away from me and not to me so the slime doesn't stack up and explode.
I learnt Large Oozes can join together, some of them Vanish.
When i kite the big ooze i get told to cure disease off people, But when im kiting the ooze, my cleanse wont work on anyone.

Am i ment to Kite/Cleanse or aint the priest/druids/shamans ment to do that?

Quinafoi
08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi. (Paladin Tank)
My guild barely has enough people on vent for this fight most of the time, I am the offtank though, and whenever i get the slimes, people always run away from me and not to me so the slime doesn't stack up and explode.
This has nothing to do with vent. This has to deal with spacial awareness. People have to be aware of where the kiter and the big ooze being kited are located. This is typically accomplished with either raid markers (often placed on a following non-combat pet for the kiter since boss mods may replace the icon on the kiter themselves) or by zooming out futher and enabling hostile name plates so you can see the position of the ooze where you need to run at any time you get the debuff. Additionally, some addons such as HUDMap may also assist in directing you in the direction to the kiter (if the addon can determine who the kiter is).

I learnt Large Oozes can join together, some of them Vanish.
This isn't exactly true. Oozes when they come together always merge, however this always results in the stack increasing. They never simply vanish. If you merge two Big Oozes together, the dominent one will gain all the stacks of the other ooze plus one (since it starts at one stack when two small oozes are formed). You used to be able to merge two big oozes and only gain one stack, however this is no longer possible, the stack increases by the number of small oozes used to form the big ooze that despawns as a result of the merge. The only case this results in effectively losing stacks is when the number would exceed five. For example, merging two four stack big oozes would result in one of them exploding because that always happens when the stack reachs five.

When i kite the big ooze i get told to cure disease off people, But when im kiting the ooze, my cleanse wont work on anyone.

Am i ment to Kite/Cleanse or aint the priest/druids/shamans ment to do that?
Druids can't cleanse diseases. Ideally this is handled by a paladin or a priest, though a shaman can also do it. In the case where the kiter is a paladin, it is ideal to have them do it themselves instead of requiring someone else to do so simply because they are aware of the player's relative proximity to the big ooze being kited. On heroic difficulty cleansing sooner is a bit more important so others may be assigned to it instead of a target continually moving around at range.
As for why your cleanse would fail there are only several possibilities for that. You are targeting the wrong person to cleanse, you are out of range to cleanse them, you don't have sufficient mana to cleanse them, someone else has cleansed them first, or you have some cleanse targeting syntax that is incorrectly resolving your target or resolving to no target. Simplest recommendation would be to use the addon Decursive for its Micro Unit Frame cleansing interface to assist you. Any mistake you are making in this department is hard to repeat when it is reduced to "whack a mole". Simply click on the frame that lights up.

Livoranias
08-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Thankyou Quinafoi.
Yeah, My cleanse and that, I dont think i get it off in time, I should really pick up decursive for my laptop, Decursive doesnt matter what cleanse spell you got, It removes it lol.
Thanks for that, I just didnt know lol.
With the vent thing, I usually like everyone on vent so you can ask them "Have you done this fight?" "Do you know this fight?" "Need and explanation?"...
Thanks for the Help :D