PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Tanking Advice

Shortest
12-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Hello! I'm looking to get some constructive criticism on my death knight and his tanking gear, spec, glyphs, gems, all that good stuff. I was wondering if I was gearing and gemming correctly, and if I need to fix my spec or anything.

Since the armory says I'm in my DPS stuff, I give a link to wow-heroes instead. The tanking spec is Frost:

WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Velen&name=Zeptune)

Any advice would help. Thanks!

Was thinking maybe go two Tank specs, blood for raids, and frost for heroic farming. I've been told this was a pretty good idea, what is everyone's opinion on this? Basically blood for the single-target tanking and frost for the AoE...

Shortest
12-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Bump

Insahnity
12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Gemming priority should be
Never use anything other than blue, green or purple.
Meta gem is always stam/2% armor boost, nothing else
Defense/stam if below 540
Stamina
RED
Expertise/stam on a red socket if the bonus is 9 or more stamina and you are below 26 expertise
Strength/stam on a red socket if the bonus is 9 or more stamina and you have threat issues
Dodge/stam otherwise.
YELLOW
Hit/Stam on a yellow socket if the bonus is 9 or more stamina and you are below 263 hit
Defense/stam otherwise

Talents
Looks ok. I would have filled out Epidemic in unholy at the expense of 1 point in Scent of Blood. If AoE is an issue, swap out merciless combat for Icy Reach.

Enchants
If defense is not an issue, your next one should be 225 armor

Glyphs
Consider Icy Touch over Frost Strike
Get the last minor! Go with pestilence, and start using 2 disease rotations beyond the first HB.

As for specs, you shouldn't need separate specs for aoe vs single target, they all do just fine. If you have a single spec, take DPS spec (I see you like pvp anyways).

As for upgrades, HToC 5 man has a few 2h weapons, get those and progress onwards.

Omoh
01-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Gemming priority should be
Never use anything other than blue, green or purple.
Meta gem is always stam/2% armor boost, nothing else
Defense/stam if below 540
Stamina
RED
Expertise/stam on a red socket if the bonus is 9 or more stamina and you are below 26 expertise
Strength/stam on a red socket if the bonus is 9 or more stamina and you have threat issues
Dodge/stam otherwise.
YELLOW
Hit/Stam on a yellow socket if the bonus is 9 or more stamina and you are below 263 hit
Defense/stam otherwise

Talents
Looks ok. I would have filled out Epidemic in unholy at the expense of 1 point in Scent of Blood. If AoE is an issue, swap out merciless combat for Icy Reach.

Enchants
If defense is not an issue, your next one should be 225 armor

Glyphs
Consider Icy Touch over Frost Strike
Get the last minor! Go with pestilence, and start using 2 disease rotations beyond the first HB.

As for specs, you shouldn't need separate specs for aoe vs single target, they all do just fine. If you have a single spec, take DPS spec (I see you like pvp anyways).

As for upgrades, HToC 5 man has a few 2h weapons, get those and progress onwards.

I agree with a few things, but most I don't.

As far as gemming. It's all stam. I try to hover around 28% dodge. So I'll throw straight dodge gems in red sockets, or dodge + stam, but I mostly gem stam.

Since you're in lower gear. I'd go dodge, and dodge + stam.

While they say all specs can AoE tank, this is just not the case. When I raid, I run two tanking specs. Blood for MTing bosses, and frost for OT duty.

Heroics I run in frost.

Epidemic in blood is pointless.

This is what I use for blood.
http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight#eSQ9fB2UgFCc9,,11159

More strength = scalable parry and threat. Mark of blood is mostly trivial, and the reduced cooldown on dnd is nice, but the increased damage on death coil is what i'm after.

For frost, this is what I use.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Garona&n=Omoh&group=1)

You can see it on my armory. I never swap out that spec, but i frequently change my main tanking spec to dps.