PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Crit for tanking?

Dasverlassen
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I recently respecced into deep wounds to give additional threat, however I find that I'm not critting as often as I'd like, especially with thunderclap on my off-mobs.
Since my defense rating is 563, far over what I need should I start working on crit for my yellow sockets in which I would want the socket bonus?
I was thinking about switching over to the Jagged Eye of Zuls(10crit 15stam)
Help would be appreciated, thanks!

Here's my armory.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nesingwary&n=Dasverlassen)

Bovinity
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, to answer the question directly, sure switching to crit gems would give you more crits and solve the issue.

To be a little more helpful in the bigger picture though, I would say that you should never, ever, absolutely not ever gem for crit as a tank. It's not a survival stat at all, it's not a particuarly good threat stat, it's just not good for you at all.

If you're having threat problems you'd want to look more at stats like expertise, or analyze your rotations and AE threat strategies.

Reev
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you should be critting 20%+ of the time through talents. More crit isn't going help threat problems. You shouldn't really be having threat problems if you're playing your tank well, but if you want gems that will help you with threat, Expertise is a good one, hit is alright, strength sucks, but at least it's better than crit.

Dasverlassen
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Alright, thanks.
The problem I've been having is mostly with aoe tanking =/
I was farming trash in icc for rep yesterday and we had 3 fury warriors spamming cleave, and constantly getting killed. They blame me for not holding threat on all of them so I figured I needed more threat.
Currently for multi-mob tanking I hit thunderclap ad SW whenever they're off of cooldown and demo shout for the extra threat.

Reev
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Use Demo Shout once for the damage reduction. The threat it gives you is completely negligible. For AoE threat, instead use Thunderclap and shockwave whenever available, as you said, and spam cleave and tab spam your normal single target threat moves aside from that. Shield Slam>Devastate (with Glyph) > Revenge > Devastate (without Glyph), though revenge does more damage. Popping shield block helps slightly as well, through the increased damage shield damage. Also, put your Vigilance on one of those fury warriors. Ideally, at this point, no one should pull aggro.

Deoreus
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Are you cleaving as well? Do you tab target to get sunders and sheild slams accross all the mobs your'e tanking? If you don't have many single target problems, I'd drop the vig glyph and pop in the cleave one. It's spiffy for AE tanking.

Dasverlassen
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Alright, thanks for all the help!

Bovinity
12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
As a warrior you don't have the crazy AE threat abilities that other classes do, so you have to focus a little more on each individual target rather than spamming Swipe like us bears do.

On trash packs, Glyph of Cleave might be a good choice for you if you're having trouble. That helped me a lot back when I was playing my warrior. =)