PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Need some gear advice.

Destrier
12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
So I'm at the point where I can actually afford some gear with my frost emblems, and I'm unsure where to go. I'll give a bit of background first. Here's my armory The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Exodar&n=Destrier) . My small guild is really still working on Ulduar, and we may try some ToC soon. I'm the main tank (pally) at the moment.

I'm still toting the Black Heart and a Brewfest trinket right now. Here's my dilemma. I've been reluctant to switch to the Glyph of Indom Glyph of Indomitability - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47735) due to the Stam loss I would suffer. But now I will have access to the Key Corroded Skeleton Key - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50356) if I want.

The flip side is that I could also by the tanking cloak with frost emblems Sentinel's Winter Cloak - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50466), or continue to save up for some of the T-10 plate.

I'm thinking that right now, upgrading the trinkets together will be of biggest benefit to me, but I'd sure like to hear thoughts from the collected wisdom here. Any help greatly appreciated.

Des

krc
12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
For the Brewfest vs. Glyph issue the Glyph wins for the majority of fights because of its great on use. In EH between the 1792 armor and 170 stamina, on a pure phyiscal fight they are roughly the same favoring the Glyph because of the on use. In a 90% physical burst the Glyph's armor is only worth about 130-140 stamina so unless your in a situation that really requires an extra cd I would take the Brewfest. And for 80% physical and below it isn't really much of a contest between the two.

The Corroded Skeleton Key isn't that great because of only a relatively small upgrade in EH and a weak on use puts it as one of the last pieces on my list. For your current setup the belt is the best option followed by the cloak. I would go for the 2pc t10 set bonus after you get the offset belt, cloak, gloves and chest piece.

Kazeyonoma
12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Probably better in the HALP forum.

Moved.

Joe6606
12-30-2009, 11:42 AM
So I'm at the point where I can actually afford some gear with my frost emblems, and I'm unsure where to go. I'll give a bit of background first. Here's my armory The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Exodar&n=Destrier) . My small guild is really still working on Ulduar, and we may try some ToC soon. I'm the main tank (pally) at the moment.

I'm still toting the Black Heart and a Brewfest trinket right now. Here's my dilemma. I've been reluctant to switch to the Glyph of Indom Glyph of Indomitability - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47735) due to the Stam loss I would suffer. But now I will have access to the Key Corroded Skeleton Key - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50356) if I want.

The flip side is that I could also by the tanking cloak with frost emblems Sentinel's Winter Cloak - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50466), or continue to save up for some of the T-10 plate.

I'm thinking that right now, upgrading the trinkets together will be of biggest benefit to me, but I'd sure like to hear thoughts from the collected wisdom here. Any help greatly appreciated.

Des
I would definitely not switch to the armor trinket. It's usefulness is really limited and for most people, esp those who arent tanking hard modes, the stam will be more valuable 99.9% of the time.

I agree that the belt should be your 1st purchase. As far as the rest, do you intend to run 25s to get the tokens for T10.25? If yes, then I would def not buy any of the offspec 264 gear, however if no then I would. I actually really like the stam trinket, and given that you dont have a ToC25 trink, I'd def buy it 2nd. The others in order would be chest, back, gloves.

krc
12-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't say the Glyph is totally useless, overall it is as useful as the Brewfest trinket.

Assuming he is running ToGC and ICC 25 there are two major bosses that will kill tanks Marrowgar and Gormok. On Marrowgar since it is pure physical a rough armor to stamina ratio is 1 stamina = 11 armor, putting the Glyph around 163 stamina, and there is no way that 7 stamina is better than arguably the best on use in the game.

Gormok on the other hand the Brewfest trinket is better, his bleed which in unmitigable is does around 20% of the melee, Impale, bleed combo that kills you. In this situation armor is devalued by 20% making a rough ratio of stamina to armor at 1 stamina = 14.62 armor, making the Glyph's armor worth around 120 stamina lacking to much EH for the on use to make up for.

So I wouldn't say that it is completely useless, maybe being useful for around 50% of fights compared to the Brewfest trinket. And I don't see why he would want to choose the frost trinket over the offset pieces becaues the frost trinket adds 52 stamina and a bad on use while the cloak adds 65 stamina and much more armor for the same amount of emblems.

Joe6606
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't say the Glyph is totally useless, overall it is as useful as the Brewfest trinket.

Assuming he is running ToGC and ICC 25 there are two major bosses that will kill tanks Marrowgar and Gormok. On Marrowgar since it is pure physical a rough armor to stamina ratio is 1 stamina = 11 armor, putting the Glyph around 163 stamina, and there is no way that 7 stamina is better than arguably the best on use in the game.

Gormok on the other hand the Brewfest trinket is better, his bleed which in unmitigable is does around 20% of the melee, Impale, bleed combo that kills you. In this situation armor is devalued by 20% making a rough ratio of stamina to armor at 1 stamina = 14.62 armor, making the Glyph's armor worth around 120 stamina lacking to much EH for the on use to make up for.

So I wouldn't say that it is completely useless, maybe being useful for around 50% of fights compared to the Brewfest trinket. And I don't see why he would want to choose the frost trinket over the offset pieces becaues the frost trinket adds 52 stamina and a bad on use while the cloak adds 65 stamina and much more armor for the same amount of emblems.
I didnt want to assume, but based on his achievements and gear, I dont think he runs heroic modes. I was also assuming he'd replace his blackheart (+126 stam) with the key, for an increase of > 100 stam. 100 stam >>> the armor trinket.
None of the other pieces provide a +100 stam upgrade, the closest is the belt which is +90 I believe.

Destrier
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, ICC 25 and ToGC25 are not in my picture right now. ToC10 is a possibility but not yet a reality. But I think I'm getting more confused. Some say Corroded Skeleton Key, and others say no way. The cloak upgrade looks good, but I'm giving up a good chunk of parry that way.

The belt, with the 2 extra sockets would be a nice stam upgrade, but at the cost of 60 dodge.

Bovinity
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Some say Corroded Skeleton Key, and others say no way. The cloak upgrade looks good, but I'm giving up a good chunk of parry that way.

The purchase of the Skeleton Key really depends on what content you have access to. If - in the future - you can do ToC 25 regularly, for instance, the value of the Key might be a lot lower to you since you can pick up Scarab/Vitality off Faction Champions.

As for the cloak, it is an amazing EH item. It really is stellar. (I think it's basically our BiS item?) I wouldn't worry about losing the parry at all, when you're trying to progress EH is the value you're looking for, avoidance is a distant second. However, would I spend badges on it this early? Hard to say, I don't know how valuable your T10 set bonuses are. As a bear druid I'm definately speeding toward 2 and 4-piece as fast as I can and not spending badges on off-pieces at all yet.

As for glyph...it's nice to have in your arsenal for certain fights, but I wouldn't buy it if you have other slots that need upgrading. If you're running Ulduar 25 I'd really suggest looking at Heart of Iron as one of your trinkets, too. Good stamina and a great use ability and you save some badges.

Bottom line though is that you're plenty geared enough to start farming ToC and even ICC. It's difficult to suggest too many upgrades because you're really overgeared for the content you're doing and should be moving up in tiers right now.

krc
12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I didnt want to assume, but based on his achievements and gear, I dont think he runs heroic modes. I was also assuming he'd replace his blackheart (+126 stam) with the key, for an increase of > 100 stam. 100 stam >>> the armor trinket.
None of the other pieces provide a +100 stam upgrade, the closest is the belt which is +90 I believe.
But you aren't filering the Black Heart's proc, the Black Heart's proc is incredible, with 7056 armor and a 15% uptime it is worth around 1,058 armor in pure EH that is worth 96 stamina making the only thing that Corroded Skeleton Key has on it is 4 stamina and a bad on use which is clearly not worth a early pick. And you aren't factorig in all of the armor you will get from the offset pieces.

Destrier
12-30-2009, 09:02 PM
I've been doing a bit more research, and playing around with Rawr a bit. It would suggest the Verdigris Chain belt as my biggest upgrade right now (at least the biggest that I have access to). Big increases to Str, Stam, Armor, and Parry. But I will lose 60 dodge, and 56 hit. Should I be concerned with those losses? My hit rating right now is only about 206.

krc
12-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Don't worry about the missing of dodge and hit, even while lacking them just from the pure extra EH you will be getting it is worth it. Besides you will still have around the same avoidance as you have with your current belt.