PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warriors, I am in need of assistance

Ryrin
12-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Being as this is my first post, let me say thanks to all of you that have made this site what it is today. I know the work and dedication it takes to keep sites like this going, and trying to play the game you love sometomes goes on the backburner... but your help does not fall on deaf ears.

With that being said, I really need some help here. I have been playing a protection warrior for about three years, and have enjoyed every second of it. But in the past few months, I have been noticing something very disturbing: I am gettin destroyed.

I have been a guild tank for Omen for the last 3 years, but as of late,
whenever there are multiple tanks in a raid, my healers prefers any other tank, even alts, over healing me, and I cant figure as to why. I dont know if its just Warriors in general as I am the only warrior tank that our guild has, or if its just the gear that I have, or what... but I am absolutly hammered when tanking bosses like ToGC Gormok, Icehowl, and Lord Marrowgar.

Last night while tanking Gormok in ToGC I would get hit with a melee swing of roughly 18-20k and then in the same second, an impale for 35-37k. On Morrowgar every second I take 15k damage due to his saber lash.. just to give you an idea to the amount of damage I take.

Let me also say that I know how to tank. Its not that I am not def. capped, I dont have my back to mobs, use all my cooldown abilities like shield block etc.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightninghoof&n=Ryrin)

Threat is of no problem at all, only survivability and any help that anyone can shed on either what I am dong wrong, whether it be enchants, Itemization, gemming, or even some tricks to live through these fights will be extremely appreciated.

Eravian
12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
If threat is not an issue, I'd remove the two points from Heroic Strike and the three from focused rage and add them into Improved Demoralizing Shout. Also, there's no real need to take Improved Spell Reflection, so I'd drop that in favor of Improved Disciplines if you're in need of Survivability. Also, the Glyph of Last Stand and the Glyph of Shield Wall instead of the Glyph of Devastate and Sunder will allow you to use your Cooldown's much more proactively.

Unger
12-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Overall youre not in terrible shape.... your gear is good.... enchants look ok. For whatever reason, you have a weapon in your off hand instead of a shield.... I am going to assume this is a mistake. You are going to want a shield there :)

- Replace your defense gems. You dont need them to be crit immune and they arent helping you very much. For yellow sockets, I usually just blow off the socket bonus and go straight stamina. Get a nightmare tear (+10 stats, works as all colors) for your meta requirement if you need it. (put it in your chest for the bonus as the helm bonus is lame).

- Replace the parry gem(s) as well. I go purple with dodge/stamina if I need a red socket and the bonus is good. Parry has the highest DR so avoid it if possible.

- For your shoulders, there is a stamina/resiliance enchant that has better EH than the current one you are using. You might want to pick it up.

- If threat is no problem, lose the armsman enchant from your gloves and go to the armor patch or straight stamina.

Talents

- You should really not need imp spell reflect. Most of the spike damage tanks receive are not magical and more stamina will help that anyway (from the changes above).

- Take the points from above and put them into Imp Disciplines. Then you can glyph for shield wall and get a 2 min shield wall.

- Glyph of devastate and sunder are threat glyphs. Again, if threat is no issue, lose those and go with last stand and shield wall to increase your survivability. They will put your cooldowns every 2 min which means you will have

- Shield wall 10 seconds out of every 120 (8.5% of the time)
- Last stand for 20 seconds out of every 120 (17% of the time)

25.5% uptime on cooldowns.

** Caveat for opinion only here!!! I use the corroded key (badge trink) with Satrina's trink together. Since they both dont share the battlemaster cd, they can be popped at the same time for a 15% last stand (approx). They have separate cooldowns, but you get the idea.

That is a lot of cd coverage.

With all the gem changes and the corroded key, I have you with an additional 200-230 stamina, which is a lot.

I cant judge the armor because you need to put the shield in. Do that and I can take another look.

Finally, you are specced into a lot of threat abilities. I dont know if you have other ways of getting the imp demo shout debuff on bosses or not. If you do, no worries. If not, consider speccing into imp demo shout. It makes a huge difference on trash pulls in ICC and with bosses that hit hard.

Good luck

Ryrin
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Apologize for the bad items I was wearing on link earlier (was messin around with gear) And thanks so much for the responses so far.

Please take another look at me if you will and critique further where needed.

~Ry

Wars
12-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Just work on what Unger stated. The big things:

Replace defense gems with EH ones.

Spec/Glyph for Imp Disciplines and Last stand/Shield Wall. You will directly be easier to heal and keep alive if you are able to have more health and take less damage, more often!

Stam chant on gloves, stam chant on shoulders.

I bet the healers won't even notice it but you will be much easier to heal.

Use your cooldowns proactively. If you don't use shield wall, and then 2 minutes later, you still have it up, you've basically taken more damage than you had to.

Aggathon
12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
What Wars said. Also make sure you are keeping up tclap and demo shout. Your spec could also use a big overall. If you take a look at the guide in my signature, it has gemming, enchanting, specing, and gearing advice for all levels of tanking with many other links to other posts and guides that may be helpful for you.

Wars
12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh right agg, we said we were going to link your guide on this stuff right?

Sorry about that! mwahaha.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide.html

There's the guide!

evanjames
12-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Just had a look at your gear. Im presuming that you have taken the advice given above.

You should have absolutely no difficulty tanking anything in your current gear. The only thing i can say is that you need more expertise, unless you constantly carry expertise food with you. Even then, it shouldnt matter that much for survivability.

From my perspective you should be fine. I am currently starting to tank ToGC and have cleared ICC 10 - I am less geared than you are as a warrior - and I am not getting owned by Gormok, Icehowl or Marrowgar.

Only thing I can think of, and its not that palatable a response, is that your healers are simply looking for easy street.

Aerei - Aman'Thul US

Ryrin
12-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Thank you one and all for your advice. I will be tanking ToGC again this saturday, and will see if all of the changes produces the desired effect.

I have noticed a decrease in threat with the changes to spec, not that dps can keep with me, just other tanks are needing to watch threat now (ex. Deathbringer Saurfang Blood strikes) but I believe this is just a compatance issue.

Again thanks for the help and will post again after further vetting.

~Ry