PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Tanking - Taking too much damage

dkenelano
12-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Hi everyone..
I know we see tons of these topics regarding Dk tanks taking more damage but I need some advice as I do not know what to do at this point.
I have gone from blood to frost and now back to blood again for the increase in stam and survivability. I like to think I have pretty decent gear and have gemed with the correct stats. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Smolderthorn&gn=Gloryhogs&cn=Dkenelano)

I recently did a random heroic for frost emblems and ended up in OK. Piece of cake I thought - in the second pull I died. I checked my logs and it showed a 28k hit from one of the mobs and overkilled me. wtf?? It was not behind me, all mobs were in front of me at all times. As a blood dk I no longer have UA and instead rely on RT and VB which I only use in panic mode. Is there a bug or am I missing something? Please help!!

Tanks! (pun intended)

Selene
12-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Hard to say, especially since it was a pug.

On one hand I love the new random pugs system, and on the other I hate it with a passion.
I have had dps that are geared with ICC drops that can't even do 1k dps on a boss!!!!
I have had healers with ICC drops that can't even heal heroics...

As to Blood Tanking I haven't the first clue on that.
I have tanked as Unholy way back before Unholy Blight got messed with.
I love Frost Tanking, have switched back and forth from 2H and DW specs with it.
Only times I have had real issues is with Water Elementals (damn immunitiy to Frost damage).

Personally I would just blame that death in OK on the healer... But 28k does sound a bit extreme, but I do know that the Spellflingers do nasty Shadow Damage, just no clue on how much they do.

Sileo
12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Gear:
- Find an upgraded neck piece (block is a waste for you)
- Helm - upgrade the gem

Glyphs:
- Icebound Fortitude with 560 defense rating is a waste so get rid of it. I believe at 570Defense rating you'd be sitting at 50% reduction without the glyph so you're already passed the 30% mark.
- Your blood spec'd so focused on blood spec'd glyphs (Death Strike and Vampiric Blood are you 2 keys with the 3rd being disease or rune strike)

Spec:
Get rid of:
- Unholy Command? No point - get rid of it
- Improved Blood Presence is a waste imo - get rid of it and get rid of blood worms.
- Runic Power Mastery - you should never get to the point where you have 130 RP if you've macro'd your keys to utilize Rune Strike whenever it's up so get rid of those as well.

Total - 7 points

Pick-up:
- Pick up Will of Necropolis (3/3) will assist you.
- Blood Gorged (will assist with TPS)

May want to take 1 point out of Subversion and place it into Blood Gorged for 5/5

Other than that, have your rune tap ready to go along with IBF and VB.

Bashal
12-30-2009, 09:05 AM
it showed a 28k hit from one of the mobs and overkilled me. wtf??

Was it an Ahn'Kahar Spell Flinger that got you? It sounds like you were possibly nailed by a Shadow Blast. Those can hurt bad.

If that's what it was, DPS is supposed to focus those down first, and you should be ready to mind freeze their casts.

gabbu
12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Shadow Blast - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=59102)

Most likely above hit you and you were already below 80% of your health (28k sounds about right considering your health pool), mark them skull and kill them first and dont let them cast.

Pacman6642
12-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Agree with the last two post. Although for sure pick up WotN. Those spellflingers will do that if you arn't looking.

dkenelano
12-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I will change my talent points around and let you guys know.

dkenelano
12-31-2009, 12:53 AM
After adjusting the above suggested talent points and re-glyphing I have had no more issues.

Thanks for the help guys!