PDA

View Full Version : Tanking First Timer Looking for Some Basics to Prot Paladin Tanking

Pallyhands
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi, I reached level 80 last weekend with my awesome paladin. And I want to start tanking right away but have no clue where to start. My best friend who has been guiding me has been rushing through everything I need to do. So Im lost. and I'm scared to start tanking. So all that I really need covered are:

-Whats a prot pallys rotation and can it be put into a macro?

-What type of gear am I looking for and what do the stats really mean to me?

-Am I speced right?

-What Gear Should I look at replacing or keeping and how?

-How much HP should I have to tank with?

-How to reach my expertise cap and def cap?

-And what spells should I remember when tanking?

-Any other advice to get started is great.

Here is my info:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Destromath&n=Pallyhands)

Insahnity
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
In general, browse this site's paladin section, as well as Maintankadin for good tanking and pally tanking advice. There are guides posted to prevent us from repeating the same info over and over again (or put another way, a guide would be the best answer for this post).

Hi, I reached level 80 last weekend with my awesome paladin. And I want to start tanking right away but have no clue where to start. My best friend who has been guiding me has been rushing through everything I need to do. So Im lost. and I'm scared to start tanking. So all that I really need covered are:

-Whats a prot pallys rotation and can it be put into a macro?

Technically it could, but don't. Ever. Part of playing this game, not just being a tankadin, is to know what tools to use and when, in the correct order. Macroing a few things is fine, but turning everything down to a macro makes you a very bad tank.

Look for information on 969 rotation, and start by reading Jere's guide.

-What type of gear am I looking for and what do the stats really mean to me?
First you want to get to 535 defense if doing heroic instances only, and 540 defense. That's basically your main requirement. After that, it becomes more complicated. Read Cider's Easy 540 guide, on this site.

Survival is based on Effective Health (How much stamina, armor, and other forms of mitigation you have, such as magic resistance). The more the better, but how you go about it requires knowledge of each aspect. Read about each and then come back with specific questions.

Threat is based on how much damage you do. This is controlled by your gear, and the ability to actually connect with the target. You can have the best weapon in the game and not mean anything if you don't actually hit the boss. Research Hit and Expertise stats on this website.

-Am I speced right?
Techncially no, but you aren't miles away. I'd say for somebody who doesn't understand the finer points of paladin tanking, you did alright in picking your talents, you are 95% of the way. You can look up several correct specs on this website, bur for now, your first priority is to gear/glyph/enchant/gem correctly, learn basics of tanking (how to pull mobs, how to gather mobs, how to hold mobs, and using survival abilities), and finally the 969 rotation.

-What Gear Should I look at replacing or keeping and how?
First off, get to 540 defense. You aren't there yet, your biggest problem is that you haven't enchanted or gemmed anything.

Once you are at 540 defense, here's the questions you need to ask:
If you are dying too fast:
->Am I specced correctly?
->Am I geared/enchanted/gemmed correctly?
->Am I keeping everything up (Holy Shield, Righteous Fury, Devotion aura or other appropriate defensive aura, etc.)?
->Am I attempting content far beyond my gear (check wow-heroes to get an idea of what you should be attempting)?

If you can live but can't hold on to mobs (they run off and kill healers or DPS)
-Am I following 969 rotation correctly, consistently, and religiously?
-Whats' the status of my threat stats (expertise and hit)?
-Do I need to upgrade my weapon for the content I am running?
-Is the DPS so far geared beyond me that I can't hold aggro no matter what?

-How much HP should I have to tank with?
As much as you can get while keeping 540 defense and decent threat stats.

-How to reach my expertise cap and def cap?
-Gear, enchants and gems

-And what spells should I remember when tanking?
969 rotation first, taunts (Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense) defensive spells such as divine shield, sacred shield, Divine Plea, and finally tools to help the raid (various Hand of ####, Divine Guardian if specced, etc.)

-Any other advice to get started is great.

Here is my info:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Destromath&n=Pallyhands)If you didn't level as tanking, then tank regular instances. If you are correctly specced, geared, glyphed, gemmed, enchanted, and most importantly, INFORMED, start learning actual tanking skills there. With everything else in place, you will eliminate all other problems except your reflexes and instincts.

Pallyhands
12-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Insahnity, wow thank you so much. You are a great help. And If I have more questions I will be sure to come back.

-Oh before I forget do you know if there is a thread that shows whats gems you should use on specific gear pieces?

Insahnity
12-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Insahnity, wow thank you so much. You are a great help. And If I have more questions I will be sure to come back.

-Oh before I forget do you know if there is a thread that shows whats gems you should use on specific gear pieces?

I'm sure there is, but I'm too lazy to look, so here it is. Generally accepted wisdom says you only follow socket bonuses for 9 stam or 12 stam (I've been known to chase after 6 stamina bonuses, myself). If you are not concerned about socket bonuses Pure stam gems are what you socket.

If there's a blue gem, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS socket 30 stam (or 51 if a JC).
If it's colourless (smithing sockets, belt buckles), it's really a blue socket, right? Because we always plop in 30 stam where we can. Assuming you want to chase a socket bonus use the following info:

If it's a yellow socket, use GREEN GEMS, in the following order
Def/stam if not defense capped
Hit/stam if you are pretty far below hit cap

If it's a red gem, use PURPLE GEMS, in the following order
Expertise/stam if under 26 expertise
Agi/stam for paladins
Str/stam if you are expertise capped and still need more threat

For meta gem, always use Stam/2% extra armor from gear. Make sure you follow the meta gem requirements (2 blue and one red I think)!!

Pallyhands
12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Ok, I'll take a gander but will wait till my friend makes sure I don't screw up haha.