PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Dk tank cant hold agro from me?

Calianiaa
12-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I have ran into an issue since the new PuG system was introduced: whenever Im in a group with a DK tank I end up pulling agro. I'm old fashioned and wait about 3-4sec for the tank to get agro then charge, within 2 hits I have 100% agro on at least 1 of the mob. My guild does not have any DK tanks so Ive never ran into this issue. I am trying to watch my agro, and switch targets if I see I m getting close on the tanks TPS but Im not sure what else I can do? Does anyone else have this issue or is it a result of people making DK tanks quickly to avoid the wait in finding groups and have no idea what they are doing? I dont want to be a 'bad' dps and pull ( unless 1 get lose from the mob and attacks the healz and tank doesnt react..in which case I will agro and pull back to the mob ) is there something I can do/not do? Dont know if my armory link will be of any use here but Ive supplied it anyway.
Thanks!

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arygos&n=Calianiaa)

Thaak
12-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Depends on what you're doing really. If you're waiting 3 or 4 seconds and then charing in and hitting SweepingStrike/Bladestorm combo, then yes, its your fault. Thats not typical AoE type damage, thats front end loaded AoE, which is completely different. If you're charging in and single targeting a mob that the tank isn't targeting, then its your fault again.

Greatest macro ever for DPS is this:

/assist tankname

That puts you attacking their target, not some target you choose at random. Bind it somewhere you won't forget it and use it without fail. That means, starting into a pull, if you get an omen warning, when the mob you are attacking dies, if you think the tank may be swapping targets for other reasons, any time you may not be on the tanks target, hit that button.

Now all that being said, its it possible that you've been behaving yourself threatwise, and you've just gotten a string of bad tanks. BUT if you are the common denominator, you need to think that it might be you.

On an unrelated note, your spec and gemming could use some help.

Miagorme
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM
DKs are the easiest to level, since they start at 55 with decent gear.
PUG heroics are the most common and easiest way to gear alts.
Tanking gets you into heroic queues almost instantly.

Combine the three and you get a mass of people who don't know what they're doing. So, yes, you're very likely to pull threat off of a DK tank alt that doesn't know what they're doing and is only tanking because it means faster queue times, rather than because they like it or are good at it.

P.S: yes, you can tank yourself. Heroics are astonishingly easy, too. Get block value and you're pretty much unkillable. And really boring to heal.

Calianiaa
12-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Thank for the posts, I am kinda new to the dps side and have mainly tanked up untill this last patch. I have found I dont enjoy tanking in the PuG style so..I dont. But also why I dont wanna be that dps. I will definatly set up that macro and try it out tonight. Was there something in the gemming/spec that screames fix me?
Thanks again!

Felycitas
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
You're decently geared. I'm not surprised you're able to rip aggro off a DK. Also, it depends on the rotation the DK is using. Some don't use D&D. Some aren't able to do as much AoE threat as they can on single target. It's not like a paladin/bear/warrior who probably all have the same tools and rotations. Each DK tank has the capacity to be different.

Stay focused on the target the tank is attacking is probably the best thing you can do. Further.. are you dying? If you're not dying, so what. You can take some hits and if the healer can keep up with it.. just don't rip aggro off a boss.

Thaak
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Either you respeced recently, or I somehow was looking at someone else's spec, as your current spec isn't what I remember.

With your build the way it is currently, I personally would move 2 points into weapon mastery as your expertise is a bit low. Other than that spec is fine.

As far as gemming, you probably want to go straight Str or straight ArP depending on where you sit with ArP from your gear. Deviate from that to activate your meta, but other wise go all red. And I would use the Agi meta, not the Crit meta.

Calianiaa
12-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Thaak, had DK tank 1st random dungeon and the assist macro was great and also thanks for checkin out my spec and gear.

doomwarder
12-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I noticed this too, but with a pally tank. I just recently switched to ret and I am already capable of 4.5k dps and I got grouped with a pally that just switched to prot and had blue crafted and instance blues. I was in mainly heroic and some badge epics. On single target undead I was pulling off him. He was a guildy so I just gave him some pointers and I slowed down on the dps a bit and we were good to go.

Best thing you can do for a tank that is having trouble holding aggro is point them to this web site :)

PatrikL
12-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Picking the right target (at least to start with) is as someone mentioned a good thing.

I recently had a random run with a warrrior dps who kep pulling aggro off of me and in the end the healer had to tell him to stop since he needed as much healing as I did. He then linked a recount report with him doing 3.5k (and me doing 2.5k tanking but he must have missed that) and then wrote "thats why!". Pretty sure he meant that his dps was so high he simply couldnt help it.
I watched him a little bit after that and not only did he start with blade storm very early but he also seemed to pick the wrong targets to start with all the time. I don't usually mark unless I am asked but hey dont even dps'ers have som basic understanding of a good killing order?

I very seldom have any problems with threat (and I'm used to running with ppl doing a lot more damage even in heroics) but this guy, not sure how he could so easily pull aggro all the time even though he was on the wrong targets most of the time...