PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Relatively new level 80 protection warrior looking for some advice.

Kelza
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey everybody - I've always liked to use Tankspot as a reference, but this is the first time I've felt compelled to get some direct feedback and help.

I recently started doing random WotLK heroics with the dungeon finder, and everything's been fine, I've been able to do all of the instances that I'm permitted to do without gear restrictions without any problem and have tanked without issue. But probably one in every four of these instances, someone in our initial party will look at my health (which must be pretty low for the standard, and my niavity comes through here) or my gear, promptly inform the group that I am "a shitty tank that won't be able to take a hit" (an actual quote) and leave the party, creating a pretty negative atmosphere for the party before we even get started, and shattering whatever confidence I may have had. Now, I don't doubt I'm new, or that I'm not that experienced with gear or other such knowledge, but I'd really like to get good enough that people aren't heckling me when our party forms.

Here's my armory link: Kelza (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alonsus&n=Kelza)

So, I'd really appreciate advice on what to do to make myself better. My equipment (I thought) was okay, with clear exceptions to my rings, and I'd like to know some decent numbers to aspire to for my relevant statistics.

Thanks in advance for your help everybody,

- Kelza

krc
12-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Read this http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide.html. It is a very well written guide by Agg that will answer the majority of your questions.

Reev
12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
You're gear is good enough to tank any heroic except ToC, FoS, PoS, or HoR. If people are giving you crap, it's just because there's a prevalent attitude of Me > You, and you should be 3 tiers of loot ahead of heroics to tank them. Don't worry about it. They're just giving you attitude.

Now, if you're wondering what it'll take to get you to the point where people will stop giving you the attitude, I'd say you want around 33k HP. Most people who tend to give attitude about this stuff won't be looking at anything but your hit points and gearscore. While you are perfectly fine to tank these instances, people tend to want tanks that make runs easymode, so they want you to have that 33k hp and maybe 4300 gearscore. It's ridiculous, but there it is.

Eravian
12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Indeed, the guide's on Tankspot are very useful, and will answer a lot of questions about what to gem for, glpyh for, etc.

As far as attitudes like the ones you are describing, they are unfortunately pretty standard, especially as health pools get higher and higher. People like to tell who's the tank by who has 10k more health than everyone else. That being said, around 20k was the health benchmark for tanking in Naxxramas, and Naxx is harder than the old heroic content. Even with 24k health, you should be fine for any of the old Heroics, and normal ToC. Heroic ToC and the new ICC-5 mans would be a bit of a stretch. You could probably do it, but it would be up to the healer to keep you alive.
Just tough it out and keep gearing up! Unfortunately, tanking often time requires thick skin and an ego that is not easily bruised. What I would try to do is get a group of guildies together and run a bunch of heroics back to back with the random finder. You'll gear up pretty fast once those Emblems come rolling in, and guild runs are almost always more fun and forgiving.

Also, at least until you gear up a bit more, you might try to replace your Armor Trinket with the Seal of the Pantheon from Normal Halls of Lightning. That will give you a nice Defense boost, so you don't have to gem so heavily into defense. As you get better gear with more defense on it, you can swap the trinket back out. Also, don't forget the Eternal Belt Buckle, which can be used by anyone to add an extra gem slot to a belt. One last thing I would do is go and buy another "Insert Ring Name Here" of the Champion to get your defense rating up (or, possibly, find a Stamina ring that gives a solid chunk of stamina). The crafted Earthguard ring would be nice if you have the money to buy the mats or the time to farm them.

Kelza
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Reev and Eravian - Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your input, I was genuinely concerned that I was overstepping my mark with heroics, and that I wasn't good enough. Well, I'll happily get back into the fray with the knowledge I'm not as bad as I thought I was. I think Eravian called it - my ego was a wee bit weak to the criticism, likely because I was being complained at by people who looked to be a bit more experienced than me. But heck - time to get myself back into the game.

And Krc - thanks very much for pointing that guide out to me. I swear, I've been using tankspot for a while, but I somehow missed that in it's entirety. Oh well! :P

Rominoodle
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Look at it this way. Everybody who has never been a tank in wow is a spoiled little brat! They expect to be carried to good gear by the amazingsauce tank that was just born in epic gear, shits out golden aggro nuggets and heals themself instead of takes damage. Nobody looks at an upcoming tank and thinks...I should take it easy on this guy, help him out with tot, or MD or let him do the pulls instead of me...maybe even lay down a CC just in case I accidently pull off of him. It's quite the opposite actually...nowadays it's like: "OMFG OUR TANK ISN'T L337, WTX0RZ L2PLAY NUB" Or they go out of their way to make tanking a living hell by intentionally pulling aggro just to prove they can.

But seriously, like everybody has said..get some thick skin and tough it out! DPS is all about flexing their epeen so they can feel like they contributed to the group the most. I started tanking heroics when I was at 22k health, and I got lol'd at when fury warriors would come in with more health then me, it all comes with time and patience my friend.