PDA

View Full Version : DPS Combat Rating and Level

Genome852
12-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Basically, I'm wondering if combat rating stats increase the stat based on your level or the level of the mob you are attacking. (Combat rating: armor penetration rating, critical strike rating, etc.).

According to wowwiki, "28 critical strike rating grants 4% crit at level 34, 2% crit at level 60, and 1.27% crit at level 70"

Assume I am level 70 and get an item with 28 crit rating. This will increase my critical strike rating on level 70 mobs by 1.27%. But if I am attacking a level 34 mob, will the 28 crit rating increase my crit by 4% against this mob due to its level, or will it still stay at 1.27%?

In another scenario, if I get 13.99 armor penetration rating at level 80, I will have 1% ArP against level 80 mobs. Will I also have 1% armor pen against level 83 mobs, or will the number be <1%? If I attack mobs lower than level 80, will that 13.99 armor penetration rating result in >1% armor penetration?

Quinafoi
12-28-2009, 08:41 AM
The rating has a set effect based on your character level ONLY. Where level difference comes into play is Attack Rating and Defense skill.

See the "Attack Rating and Defense" section of the Crit wowwiki article. Your attack rating versus the target's defense skill also affects crit, this shows you how.

Critical strike - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Crit)

Level only impacts this part of the equation. Should also add, Attack Rating and Defense skill only factor into normal attack mechanics. Miss, Dodge, Parry, Block, Crushing, Crit, Glancing, and Normal Hit. Level difference therefore only factors into the result of the attack. Other ratings such as Armor Penetration factor towards the damage calculation, not the attack result itself.

Genome852
12-29-2009, 05:53 AM
I see, thanks.

Out of curiousity... if a level 80 warrior were to raid a level 60 or 70 instance, it would be better to gem strength than ArP because 14 AP always equals one DPS, and does not scale downwards as players increase in level unlike ArP. Is this right?

Martie
12-29-2009, 06:16 AM
The rating has a set effect based on your character level ONLY. Where level difference comes into play is Attack Rating and Defense skill.

See the "Attack Rating and Defense" section of the Crit wowwiki article. Your attack rating versus the target's defense skill also affects crit, this shows you how.

Critical strike - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Crit)

Level only impacts this part of the equation. Should also add, Attack Rating and Defense skill only factor into normal attack mechanics. Miss, Dodge, Parry, Block, Crushing, Crit, Glancing, and Normal Hit. Level difference therefore only factors into the result of the attack. Other ratings such as Armor Penetration factor towards the damage calculation, not the attack result itself.

I have to nitpick a little here, as it's not the level that makes the difference, but the respective skills. Mobs always have weapon and defense skills equal to five times their level, but for players it can be lower or, in the case of defense, higher.

It's also worth noting that raid bosses have a certain amount of critical strike suppression, lowering your chance of doing a critical strike by a set percentage. (According to Elitist Jerks, at least.)