PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Girl Needs experts help

azzurri
12-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Hello guys, im Tatiana from Belguim, i have been tanking for about two weeks now on my tank who i have given the name of my dog :) Azzur. I have gotten alot of stam gear because everyone is always asking ur hp when u try to enter a raid. Still there are some questions i still dont get.

1) What about the hit rating issue. Some warrior told me it doesnt matter anymore how much hit u have. On the gear i could find (see armory) there is hardly any hit gear.

2) What about the expertise. I heard the cap for expertise is 26 but do u have to have that? Because with my current gear i cant get it.

3) I have enough hp now i find. But what stat should i gem than? Dodge, defense?, expertise? hit? I really dont know

Here is my armory, plz tell me what i m doing wrong
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chromaggus&n=Azzur)

4) Last question, i have alot of spear tanking gear and i would like to make a threat spec to do 5-man heroics. I hear so much talking about it. What should i gem my gear with than? And do i need a different talent spec than?

Thx alot boys for any help u can offer, thx

Maelstrom
12-27-2009, 04:07 AM
I'm not sure about #1, but for #2 putting in some expertise+stamina gems in red slots is never a bad idea; this also covers #3 :)

4) Hit, expertise and strength. Although 5mans only need 26 expertise and something like 4% hit, so mostly strength.

Turelliax
12-27-2009, 04:08 AM
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide.html

that right there should give you almost all the answers you need.

Silentslayer
12-27-2009, 04:17 AM
First off, welcome to the site.

You should probably start off by reading some of the guides posted on these forums. Guides Suchs as the one linked below should answer any questions about hit/expertise numbers.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/46925-defensive-stance-warrior-information-compilation.html

Statt wise your sitting at 552 Defense, 26k Armor, and 40k health. I would say thats pretty good. You should be ok tanking all the way to ICC25.

Espillion
12-27-2009, 11:56 AM
#1 - Hit is good as your threat-generation skills and basic white hits don't miss as much as you would normally (Base miss rate is 8% without any talents improving chance to hit and with 400 weapon skill).

#2 - Expertise reduces the parry and dodge factor that hit doesn't cover once you hit the hit cap. Each parry that lands means an extra swing or two from the boss and you taking additional damage as a penalty. So think of it as the "other hit cap" half. 26 Expertise cuts down 6.5% of the enemy's dodge/parry.

#3 - Gem for stamina if in doubt. More health you have, more you can take. You can also play around with avoidance but try not to gem for hit or expertise. They should come naturally in gear.

#4 - A spec for 5-mans should reflect on how you should tank for raids. If you can put your mindset to tank for lesser raids like Naxx or Ulduar you should have no problem with Heroic 5-mans.

Reev
12-27-2009, 01:10 PM
#1 - Hit is good as your threat-generation skills and basic white hits don't miss as much as you would normally (Base miss rate is 8% without any talents improving chance to hit and with 400 weapon skill).

Hit will increase your threat generation, but at current dps levels, you can maintain a threat rotation good enough to hold threat with very very little hit. It's a very low priority stat.

#2 - Expertise reduces the parry and dodge factor that hit doesn't cover once you hit the hit cap. Each parry that lands means an extra swing or two from the boss and you taking additional damage as a penalty. So think of it as the "other hit cap" half. 26 Expertise cuts down 6.5% of the enemy's dodge/parry.

Each time you're parried, you do NOT get an extra swing from the boss. On bosses that have parry hasting enabled (usually not the harder hitting bosses), if you are parried AND fall within a small window of time between the boss's swings, it will make the next hit come a little bit faster. It will not, however, give him an extra hit.

#3 - Gem for stamina if in doubt. More health you have, more you can take. You can also play around with avoidance but try not to gem for hit or expertise. They should come naturally in gear.

This is accurate. As a general rule, always gem for stamina unless the socket bonus is at LEAST +9 stamina (and preferably +12), and there are 2 sockets or less. If you need to use a yellow or red gem, generally Stam/Dodge and Stam/Defense are considered the best.

#4 - A spec for 5-mans should reflect on how you should tank for raids. If you can put your mindset to tank for lesser raids like Naxx or Ulduar you should have no problem with Heroic 5-mans.

You shouldn't need a secondary spec or gearset for heroics, but if you decide to do so, I'd keep your normal raid tanking spec, and try to get an unhittable (Avoidance + Block chances = 102.4%) gearset. Having a lot of blocking and avoidance in Heroics is super nice because you simply won't take any physical damage whatsoever. It's really completely unnecessary though, and unhittable sets are reasonably difficult and expensive to build, so I wouldn't bother unless you're going to be tanking Heroic Anub Arak 25 adds.