PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Gearing advice for a new-ish tank

Kadeyrn
12-26-2009, 06:16 AM
For ease of access, my armoury. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Kadeyrn)

Background:
After burning out and taking an extended break, I started playing the game again about a month ago, switching from my paladin tank to a druid, who I play as a healer. Recently, however, as one of my 10 man group's tanks disappeared, I power-leveled my warrior (see above) to 80 to replace him.

As such, I have some experience with tanking (Kara, ZA, SSC, Hyjal and T7) as part of my guild's semi-casual raiding.

The Future:
I will most likely be tanking on my warrior for 10 mans for the foreseeable future (I heal for 25 mans). My 10 man team will be entering Icecrown Citadel tomorrow for the first time after taking a break for Christmas. Prior to 3.3, they (I only returned a few weeks before we went on hiatus) were farming ToC and had were working on Ulduar hardmodes.

What I understand about gearing:
I should have three primary sets for raiding:

1. A maximum EH set that focuses on HP, armour and block
2. A threat set that focuses on hit, expertise and then strength/block
3. A avoidance set that focuses on dodge/parry/defense

(all this is while staying defense 'capped', obviously)

It is my understanding that the first set is mostly used for tanking in raids, with the others switched in situationally (e.g. Hodir hardmode for set 2, and Saurfang for set 3).

The gear in my armory is currently my only set of gear, as I've only been working on my warrior for about a week and haven't had time to gather multiple sets.

What I want:
Advice, mostly. Am I wrong somewhere? Have I done something really stupid, am I charging down the wrong track?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Griff
12-26-2009, 09:51 AM
You're on the right track. One note that I'd make is that for threat, expertise trumps hit.

Otherwise, your specs glyphs, gems and enchants look good.

Statwise, your expertise is a tad on the low side and you'll want to strive for a minimum of 26.

One issue I did see is your choice of professions - skinng provides little benefit for a tank and you might want to weigh your options there.

krc
12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Everything looks really good but in your EH set don't focus on block, it is relys on randomness not making it EH and it is not effective at all. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

If you really want to get specific for gearing for the encounters you could break up your EH set for what percentage of the burst that killed you is unmitigable through this page Maintankadin • View topic - "New" EH - incorporating different damage types into EH (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=26831&rb_v=viewtopic) it is really nice because it breaks down what stam to armor ratio you should have through all different kinds of bosses.

Kadeyrn
12-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Griff - I only just hit 80, so I'm still working on the professions. Once I hit 400 Blacksmithing, I'm going to drop Skinning and pick something up, probably Engineering so I can make the epic ammo.

Thanks for the note on expertise, by the way.

Krc - cheers for the link, I browsed it briefly, and it looks interesting. I'll have to have an indepth read when I have time.

Aggathon
12-26-2009, 10:24 PM
You also might take a gander at the link in my comment. It has other links to all kinds of gearing guides that will give you info on threat, avoidance, and EHP sets.