PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you are ready for 25 mans?

mandoro
12-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I was kinda hoping this was in a guide somewhere cause it seems like a pretty standard question, but I didn't find anything. Here is the low down.

The guild I am in is full of wannabe hardcore raiders who raid 3-times a week. They want to be serious and fun at the same time, except most of them dont have the capacity to be serious enough. So we've done some recruiting and have ended up with around 17 people who actually log on regularly. In the past when we had quite a few people we tried 2 10 mans, but it went badly people were pulled from different groups and one group couldnt go because people in their group were saved with the other group, it was a big mess.

So now they are getting the idea that with these people we should do 25mans. Ive never really done 25mans, but I hear they are supposed to be harder and Im not sure the guild can take anything anymore harder than ICC10 right now, I mean without me there they cant get past Lord M. because people don't switch to the spike fast enough.

I dunno, I guess Im just trying to find a clear cut answer to the question. I did read this post
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f148/58737-raid-leading-guide-guilds-pugs-alike.html (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/58737-raid-leading-guide-guilds-pugs-alike.html)
and what I am getting from it is that we aren't ready.

Penlowe
12-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Well, it never hurts to try, right? so you rack up a repair bill, big deal, run a few dailies to restore your gold balance. It will also help those people who think they are ready realize they aren't.

If you go in with an open mind "hey guys, I'm not sure we are ready for it but I've got my food, my pots and gold for repairs so I'm ready. If you are too lets do it" you just might surprise yourself.

Silentslayer
12-25-2009, 04:56 AM
check out your members gear on WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://www.wow-heroes.com) that should give you a base line on what raids the most of your members are ready for.

mandoro
12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
It will also help those people who think they are ready realize they aren't.
Oh I wish this were true, it would have probably taken us half as long to get past northrend beasts.

I have used wow-heroes to see where my guild stacks and according to it only our top 8 are good to go, the problem with that is 2 of those belong to people already in the top 8 so really we have 6. Of course I dont really pay too much attention to it. I dont mind going in with people who are a little lacking in gear as long as they get the logistics of a fight.

Repair bills dont scare me, unnecessary ones do.

Prancy
12-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm in a similar situation with my guild. We have around ~15 active members and we run our 10 mans and such but only have enough for 1 run, leaving some people out of it. The solution was to organize a 25 man PuG.

Heres how it works:

You make a post on your realm's forums stating your intent, loot rules, how invites will be handled, the time, etc etc. You then ask people to sign up.

Make a second post on that same thread for the current roster. 3 tanks ~7 melee dps ~7 ranged dps, 6 healers. You fill these slots first with members of your guild, then with pugs who sign up. Make sure to do a gear/experience check so you're not brining fresh 80s in blues.

First week icc was out, i led a pug group into 25 man and we one shotted lord m and made some decent progress on lady d. You may be surprised to find that there are plenty good people willing to join a well organized pug. Some of our best contributors are alts of players in some of the top guild on our server.

Bodisapha
12-28-2009, 08:40 AM
In our guild, we used pugging to recruit. Im also a wow-heroes addict and I swear by it. Clearly gear /= good player, but its a base line from which you can begin to form 25 man raids. So we took the players who were qualified (according to wow-heroes) and pugged the rest, being sure to Gear Score any pugs to ensure they were geared as well.

We also slant the loot rules in favor of the guild. Now, while that may sound like something that would be a turn off for your guild, it actually encouraged people to apply to the guild and weve been able to round out our 25 man team.

My experience has been that if you have 15+ who are geared to do 25 man content, those raids should be your staple, pug if you need to, and recruit from your pugging.

Acheronia
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
You can also consider doing some experimental runs. 25 man Naxx - as silly as that sounds, there's certain fights that require a concerted group effort. You might be able to do a guild run and get people use to running around in a big group. Naxx is a relatively easy raid to practice on.. just so people get use to each other. Being in a 25 man for the first time can be very disorientating.

Next take on Uld 25.. plenty of exercise there.

If at any point you fill you're hitting a wall with your 25 man, then take a step back and try an easier raid. It'll boost the confidence of the players and get them use to working with each other.

And yes, don't be afraid to pug. It's the best place to pick up new guild members. It's like an interview without the application :P