PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Tank, possibly undergeared for Halls of Reflection?

Lonnis
12-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey, guys. I've been doing a lot of PUG's in an effort to complete the Halls of Reflection, but every time we attempt to escape from Arthas, we wipe on the 3rd wave. I don't know if its me or not, but I will admit that I'm not the greatest of tanks. If you don't mind, please take a look at my gear and specs to see if its a gear issue or a spec issue. Either way, let me know what I can do to improve my chances of surviving even the worst of PUG's.:D

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&n=Weigraff)

Cainne
12-24-2009, 03:12 PM
HoR is a very daunting instance as a DK tank. I have trouble on mine in there as well.

As for being undergeared, maybe, but not so much. Your health does seem rather low for the 3rd phase, since the aboms hit like trucks compared to other heroics, and the casters are fairly hard hitting as well. I usually use AotD on the last wave, to help out on DPS to get them down before Arthas can reach Jaina and the group, and so the healer isnt having a rediculous time trying to heal through multiple Aboms and Vargul.

As for your talents / glyphs, there are some pretty solid problems.

I have two pretty solid specs for tanking, a DW Frost, and a Blood spec.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=aebel)

I only have threat issues in HoR when the DPS start to go balistic as soon as one mob steps on death and decay, or they move out of the corner before they all get to us.

Harmacy
12-24-2009, 03:17 PM
What wipes you on the third wave? Is it because adds are trampling over the group members (your fault), you're going squish very early (possibly your fault), or because nothing is dying quick enough (not your fault)?

You're wearing a few DPS pieces (namely that horrible sigil - get the triumph dodge sigil asap), your gear isn't fully enchanted, most of it is fresh 80 stuff (naxx 10), and is that a shield block belt? You could benefit from some reg ToC 5 spam for sure, you're fairly undergeared for reg HoR but if you fix the kinks in your gear/spec you should be OK.

Also, never ever gem parry as a DK. And unless you need a full yellow gem to meet the 540 defense minimum, all your gems should probably be at least half-stamina.

Not gonna lie, your spec is a mess. There's no reason for Blood to have any more than 8 points in the Frost tree, and you're missing Improved Death Strike which is a fantastic threat talent (you are using Death Strike, right?). Get the Vampiric Blood glyph asap to replace Obliterate (crap, you're not using Death Strike - DS is the Blood 2-rune strike, leave Obliterate to Frost). I'd recommend getting either Death Strike or Rune Strike to replace the Rune Tap glyph as well, as it is a pretty negligible increase.

So that leaves us with a spec like this (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jzEMqI0IsbobssxhxZ0gh:doi). There is a lot of room for tweaking in Blood specs but I think that this one hits all the core stuff.