PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Need advice - good enough for heroics?

Tenebrus
12-24-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm a fresh 80 tank, trying to get geared up and maybe one day start raiding. I've been trying to run heroics lately, in attempts to get geared up. I started out with mostly crafted or reputation gear, and have been slowly replacing stuff with drops or badge gear.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=Tenebrus)

So my question is this...are my stats good enough to tank heroics? I've heard different things about what I should have, and I'm not sure what the generally accepted minimums are. If I had to guess, I might say it's the health holding me back? Furthermore, if I'm not geared enough to tanked heroics, what should I do to get geared?

Thanks in advance!

Rominoodle
12-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Good enough to tank heroics...well...yes and no. You might get a lot of whiny pugs saying your health is too low because nowadays there's dps with 26k unbuffed health. I started tanking heroics 10 minutes after I hit 80 on my paladin with 22k health, but I did it with my guild. It was still a difficult process but it's doable. You should be close to 30-31k health with some average 5 man buffs which is a little low these days, so for starters I would recommend doing regular ToC5 for a little bit. There's boots, pants, belt and I believe gloves in there as well. The thing with tanking is you need to start off slow and work your way into some of the harder things. If you want to tank a heroic, try out Heroic UK or Heroic Nexus just to test the waters out. To save yourself some heartache and being yelled at by your party...don't attempt Heroic Halls of Reflection just yet...

serrenity
12-25-2009, 04:46 AM
yea you should be fine with tanking heroics yea your not op for a boring easy run but you have the stats to survive most heroics....new ones are gonna be more a challenge.i am a pally tank so we are on diff playing fields but i would look into your gemming that looked a little weird to me...though keep in mind i have no experience as dk

Silentslayer
12-25-2009, 04:57 AM
I come from the warrior side but from looking over your gear and with 27k health unbuffed you should be fine to tank heroics. If you still think you need more gear try tanking the new instances on normal and getting some gear from there.

Tenebrus
12-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I managed to snag the T9 gloves (2 piece bonus now, yay!), also upgraded one of my stamina gems and threw a major stamina on my bracers. Puts my health close to 29K unbuffed now in Frost presence, so I think that'll help things out a bit.

I think I'm mostly just hearing people griping because they want a cake walk. Heroic HoR still seems too scary though, think I'd bow out if I got thrown in there :P