PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Prot Warrior DPS/TPS

Leogun
12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
It seems my raid leader is a little concerned with my current TPS capacity. This is not something I have had to address directly before so as a starting point I was wondering what my DPS should be. Sadly I can't compare myself to other prot warriors in a raid because I'm generally the only one, but our prot paladin does around 2.7k while I'm around 1.7k. It was this gap that got me thinking more about DPS than just TPS.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bleeding+Hollow&n=Leogun)

Thanks in advance!

krc
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
The reason you are having problems is certainly not because of your spec or gear meaning it is most likely your rotation. For max threat spam Heroic Strike while doing a Shield Slam > Devastate rotation. For a mix between threat and damage while spamming Heroic Strike go Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate. And for max damage while spamming Heroic Strike go Shield Slam > Revenge > Shock Wave > Conc Blow > Devastate.

Pocky
12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
One thing you might want to try is increasing your Hit a bit. While it's not nearly as important for warrior tanks as it is for DPS classes, having enough hit will increase your DPS and thus your TPS.

I try to keep to 8% hit for this reason, and it seems to do all right for me.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Cainne
12-24-2009, 06:00 PM
It is most likely your rotation, as the first reply said.

I have no problems keeping up with paladin tanks or even pulling off of them.

I just us a priority system of:

1. Shield Slam
2. Revenge
3. Shockwave
4. HS/Devastate
5. TC/Demo

SixStringsXD
12-24-2009, 09:19 PM
For single target threat you have 5 main abilities... Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate, Concuss Blow, Thunder Clap. Shockwave if you have nothing else up... which you should always have something else up. Thunderclap for extra deep wounds and slowed target.

For single target after you get a bunch of nice gear... tie heroic strike to all your main abilities along with shield block and bloodrage.

So..

/cast shield block
/cast bloodrage
/cast (devastate, shield slam, concuss blow, revenge)
/cast heroic strike

Some won't agree with this but I find tying shield block and bloodrage ensures it is always being used which equals more overall mitigation and threat, instead of situational where sometimes you don't need it at all.

Usually when you are raid tanking, rage starvation is a thing of the past and you can afford to tie heroic strike/cleave to all of your abilities (depending on how many targets there are of course)

Tying heroic strike to your main abilities you constantly use not only ensures extremely high threat (I usually sit at around 10k tps without tott or misdirect) and it will be your number one damage dealer which will allow you to still put out over 2k dps without breaking a sweat.

It was worked wonders for me, give it a try and let me know what you think :D

Edit: Having 8% hit is not necessary... If you look at many main warrior tanks for top end guilds they have as low as 2% hit... Expertise however you can never have enough of.. Most warrior tanks ignore the hit cap and get glyph of taunt for raids (they keep a stockpile of them so they can switch between that and another. Therefore you don't have to worry about missing taunts on bosses you must and not have to be hit capped.

Leogun
12-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the input, but truth be told a lot of this information is stuff I'm aware of. I have HS tied to my mouse wheel so spamming that is no problem. I'm sure this is mostly not sticking religiously to a proper rotation, which is why I've never been a fan of the dps role. Also, I may not being using Shield Block to buff Shield Slam enough, so I'll try macroing that. What I would like is an idea of what dps I should be seeing so I now when I'm actually improving.

Aggathon
12-27-2009, 09:58 AM
You should be doing around 2.3kish dps give or take a few depending on the fight, but tbh as long as your TPS is higher than the highest DPS's TPS, then you're fine. Tanking DPS/TPS is more of a "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you" kind of thing.

Valkira
12-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Some time ago I lisitened to the advice on some forum post here at tankspot that said something to the effect of: "Donīt be afraid to completely redo your keybinds". By really figuring out the optimal placement of skills based on frequency of use and how/when they are combined, I managed to up my TPS and DPS considerably and my fingers never get tired now either.

Also, Iīd drop glyph of heroic strike if i were you... you shouldnīt need the extra rage. I prefer Glyph of Vigilance and/or Cleave.