PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Another Death Knight Issue...(Sorry)

Ardronite
12-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Okay, So I have been through some of the DK Tanking posts on here but I still don't know what I need to improve on or change.

The issue isn't so much threat, in heroics I'm normally around 5000 TPS and in ICC for some reason my threat is high, normally between 8-11k TPS which is really weird as some 25mans i cant even manage 5-6k sustained. So my threat is all over the place but relatively okay.

My main issue is the amount of damage I'm taking, on a regular basis, that also means heroics! I, for some reason, take a fair bit of damage and don't seem too know why. My Dodge is at 26.52% and Parry is at 20% and defence is at 557. (Also whats the def cap for DK's since 3.3? Is it still 540? or has it changed?)

Since the new patches, like most tanks, I have been stacking stam and somewhat pushing aside my avoidance and maybe thats the problem but it could also be my spec and or gemming etc.

My gear can be seen here: (GS: 5081, GS: (Wow-Heroes) 2707)
- The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz%27goroth&n=Ardronite)
- WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Khaz%27goroth&name=Ardronite)

My current spec is: 15/51/5 (Frost 2-Handed Tank Spec)
Should I be making the all important switch to a blood tanking spec even with the new threat increase of frost strike in the latest patch.
Should i still tank with a 2-hander? or try tanking dual wield?

My current rotation for single target:
IT->PS->BS->BS->OB-Rune Dump(Frost strike). (With rune strike macro'd into my spells)

--------

So what should I be changing? Should I make that all important switch to a new spec? find a new rotation? Gem better?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot, Ardronite. ;)

Harmacy
12-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Defense minimum for all tanks for raiding is still 540.

You have a very nice 2h weapon, I would stick with that. You can try out Blood and see how you like it, but since your issue seems to be taking too much damage, I don't think that would help much (Blood's thing is having a huge health pool and some self-healing, Frost's thing is taking less damage thanks to 3% avoidance and overall 2% damage reduction).

Your gear is pretty darn nice, well enchanted and gemmed (I would replace your cloak enchant with 225 armor or 22 agi, that's about the only change I can think of). You need to ditch some hit rating, but that's not really possible until you get some more gearups I suppose.

Spec looks good, but you really need to ditch the Icebound Fortitude glyph, as IBF scales with your defense skill (just by being above 540, you get more than 35%, so the glyph is totally useless to a tank - it's only good for PvP). I would recommend replacing it with a threat glyph like Obliterate or Rune Strike.

I see no gear or spec reason for you to be taking a lot more damage. Are you popping your cooldowns regularly?

Ardronite
12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Hello Harmacy (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/members/harmacy.html).

Thanks for you comments, I really like my sword and was hoping I would get a good response to be able to keep it :D

I will replace the cloak enchant with the armor enchant i think, just to try and give me that little extra avoidance.

My glyphs haven't actually been changed in about 8-9months so I will look over them and replace them accordingly. (Tbh I forgot about them)

I do pop my cool-downs every now and again (IBF and Unbreakable Armor) but not 'everytime' they are available, should i be doing that?

I like frost and want to stick with it as I have always been frost and grown accustomed too it. But I would like to try blood tanking, Would you have a suggestion as too a good blood tank spec for me?

Thanks Alot, Ardronite.

Cainne
12-24-2009, 03:52 PM
A great blood spec can be found on my DK's armory, along with a DW tanking spec that I havent had any problems with, but just use for heroics.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=aebel)

And yes, I did talent Hungering Cold with the frost build, just incase for an extra pull, I can get frost fever and follow up with a Howling blast.

As for gear, it looks solid, but if you go Blood to try it out, I suggest getting your t9 chest, since the 4pc is amazing for it.