View Full Version : DPS DPS Warlock
12-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Hi there! I have a friend who seems to be doing okay DPS, roughly 4k. However, me and a couple of his friends believe given the gear he has and the drops he receives, that he should be pulling much better DPS, somewhere around 6-7k.
Any tips on his gear, geming, talents, or anything would be appreciated. He is a DPS Warlock, WoWArmory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Drogoth)
He raids enough for you to recommend any gear around the same level as the stuff he has, or any easy replacements. Any information would be great.
Have a nice day!
12-23-2009, 05:11 AM
I am no DPS judge but here are some tips.
1. He should be using this on legs Brilliant Spellthread - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41602)
2. His spec is a bit weird, IDK why he has 1 point in improved corruption, as a destro warlock you should never use a shadow spell (dot or direct) its a DPS loss.
3. Always use imp and turn off phase shift and fire shield and make sure he gets all the raid buffs. Remember imp is a big part of your dps, everytime imp crits your next spell would be a crit and vice versa.
4. Use CoE if you are the only lock and no UH DK, or else use CoD.
5. For dps this is the way to approach it,
- Use LT rank 1 before pull
- Immo - CoE - COnflag
- CB than incinerate spam till CB/Conflag are off cd than use them again or you need to put up immolate
- NEVER CLIP IMMOLATE
- Keep LT glyph up all the time.
- Try to use Chaos Bolt as much with back draft as much as you can
- DONOT USE CORRUPTION, unelss there is a movement etc or phase changes etc (say inc fear, so you know you cant do a 2 sec cast so put a corruption up)
So the idea is to keep LT glyph up 100%, always keep Conflag and CB on cd, dont clip Immolate and try to use CB with backdraft or empowered imp.
Also for blue slot he should use this gem Purified Dreadstone - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40133)
If you feel his DPS is low its probaby his spell priority and buff management, an hour of practice at dummy can fix all that.
12-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Talents: Nothing wrong. Personally, I went with 3 points Demonic Embrace and dropped the Health stone/Corruption points. Personal thing. Glyphs are in order too. For affliction I'd swap Glyph of Corruption with Life Tap.
Gemming: He likes socket bonuses and gets them with the right gems, no complaints there either.
Gear: No bad marks here either.
This is on a quick and dirty basis glance. I don't see game breaking issues here. So I suppose the real questions to ask are...
How is his play style?
Is he making the most of his Backdraft?
Is he clipping his DoTs?
Is he using his trinkets to the max with Bloodlust?
Is he casting the right debuff/spell when on the move?
Are Latency / Frame Rate affecting his play?
Warlocks can push out high DPS, but they are also dependent on the boss in question. Is there a specific encounter where his DPS is low or is it across the board? As it stands now, his Gear/Talents/Glyphs are not the things dragging him down. I hope any of the questions above can help to identify the underlying problem.
Edit: I see a reply came in before posting my own. I suppose I should have noted that I expected that the "basic" warlock mechanics were known. That combined with some of my points should be the key to his problem.