PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Frost or Blood since patch 3.3?

Milanche
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I got use to tank with blood and i like it, i would like to try frost to. For what situations is better frost and for what blood. What spec for ICC? When frost, dual wield or two hand weapon?

Airowird
12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Personally, I find Blood a bit of the "big hit" spec with slightly better EH & selfhealing and strong 2H preference.
Frost is a bit better for AoE as well as moving bosses such as Marrowgar (due to IT & HB being ranged). If you're going Frost I strongly suggest going DW though

Nez
12-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I ran Blood full time pre-3.3 for HToc and HUlduar. But I've ran Frost and Unholy for ICC and HToC10 since the patch. I'm going to stick with Unholy for awhile. All three seem to work well now with their own special little niches. I think you can Pick which feels best to you and make it work.

Blasterion
12-22-2009, 05:13 PM
imo no matter how I play I am terrible at Blood when ever mobs needs to be tanked exceeds 3 I would choose Frost for high versatility
as for How to do Frost I still strongly suggest 2h tanking for some reason I die alot faster tanking DW I can't really explain it just a phenomenon

Edgewalker
12-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Not sure where the notion that Frost was leaps and bounds better at AoE threat than blood came from. Blood with Morbidity and properly used DS - Blood Boiling while produce more than enough AoE threat for any scenario. I regularly do sub 10 minute heroics as Blood, all it takes is a less haphazard rune management.

Satorri
12-23-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't think Frost is better at AoE threat, but it can be easier.

So for some, easier becomes better because they do it well. Back in Ulduar I was using a Frost off-spec because I was hoping it would be more reliable or easier for AoE threat, but I found I was so comfortable doing AoE with Blood that I didn't feel like it was worth the time to switch specs.

Wilhem
12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Frost is easier for AoE tanking for sure in Heroic Instances where people tend to attack whatever and "run through it." In raids, where people are generally on the same page as to which target to attack first, blood wins. For one, you will gain more threat faster on the single target and second by the time the raid is on the next target your threat on ALL targets is well up there.

Feanorr
12-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Frost AOE's is maybe not better than blood but it's faster (more burst).

About what spec to choose, I was blood for a long time and I switched to frost for personnal preference. I like the burst of the frost tree for tanking; plus it's easier for me to have a different kind of weapon as tank and dps.
Plus the -20% esq of ICC should in theory favor frost; but since frost was a little behind imo, it just put it on the line with blood.
Finally, I dont see any reason to go frost and not dual; as DW you do more dmg/threat, need less hit to be capped for specials, have the possibility to switch for 2 tank weapon so more avoidance; the only downside is an hypothetic parry-gib.

zegil
12-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Iv tried a Frost 2 hander spec in ICC 25, and on 25 normal on 1st boss, reactions from my healers where that on TOC 25(1st boss) where that it seemed to be that I was "taking" more damage than usual, from my standard blood spec. This seemed weird seeing how frost has increased mitigation, and with UB on physical heavy fights, it seems like the way to go. But now ICC offers this tasty bonus armor, from the looks of it id like to sport it and run a good ol frost spec, either 2 hander or DW. self healing in blood can heavily stabilize survival, even though your getting spammed with heals and DS heal may be a overheal?

DW supposidly gives better threat gen, but are the stats on a 2 hander, such as strength and insane amounts of stamina, enough to give up for extra threat, which may not be needed. While DW weapons give Agi and lower amounts of stam

Just saw the thread, please dont yell at me if this has been refered to previously on the site :) im new

Satorri
12-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Strength and other stats on weapons are almost universally less significant than weapon dps for threat.

Generally speaking the same applies to weapon choice for dual wielding. You can tank with two fast tank weapons (read: will have Str/Stam and defensive stats) that are the same ilvl as a 2-hander and you should see slightly increased threat. Using a pair of slow dps itemized 1-handers of the same ilvl will actually show you noticeable step up from that (even having the same dps and no Strength) largely because of the speed difference and the nature of how weapon damage is handled for ToT-influenced strikes.

Pwnanapuddin
12-26-2009, 07:11 AM
I am a DW masheeeeeeeen!

After my guild watched me 2 man Icehowl taking so little damage in Frost DW, most of the other DK's have been begging me to teach them what to do. They really find it amusing when watching omen and my threat even when not tanking is running about 10k/sec, and when tanking I have hit 17k for bloodlusts. And on top of all that, my HP is still friggin huge.

Feanorr
12-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Yes like Satorri said: go DW and switch from dps/slow weapon (for threat) to tank/fast weapon (for HP/mitigation), whenever you need.

Proletaria
12-28-2009, 01:01 AM
DW frost is no better than blood for ICC, and unholy isn't far behind either of those trees. I would select a spec based on the weapons you've got. If you already have a nice 2h, blood of unholy, if you've got a nice slow 1h and a tanky fast 1h weapon but lack current 2h weapons: frost is an obvious choice. I haven't done much with 2h frost, so i decline to comment on that flavor.

I don't buy into frost as being dominant, even in the physical-heavy first wing of ICC. Self-healing a blood is still really nice in the same setting with more consistant, lower damage hits that we see, and even unholy can now get by with throwing a death strike in (healing for about the same as a blood dk with three plagues on the target rather than the usual 2) if he isn't being trailed by his raid on threat.

Bottom line: get comforable with as many specs as you can/want to now. They all do just fine on content this easy. I've got a feeling that we'll want to swap specs between hardmodes when they are avalible and with spell damage wings close on the horizon unholy and blood will see as much free press as frost is getting right now.

Edgewalker
12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I am a DW masheeeeeeeen!

After my guild watched me 2 man Icehowl taking so little damage in Frost DW, most of the other DK's have been begging me to teach them what to do. They really find it amusing when watching omen and my threat even when not tanking is running about 10k/sec, and when tanking I have hit 17k for bloodlusts. And on top of all that, my HP is still friggin huge.

Tell them that being frost has absolutely nothing to do with your TPS or survival on Icehowl, that the 3% miss and 2% DR is overshadowed by Rune Tap and Death Strike + Imp. DS for clutch self-survival, and that gear is the greater factor in tanking 95% of the time.

:p