PDA

View Full Version : Geriatric Tanks!

Martial
12-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Who else out there is 30+ and a tank?

Personally i think this makes us a better tank as we have years of wisdom which can be utilised in a number of occassions! This more than makes up for the fact that we may need to go to the toilet more and are slowing with keybinds due to arthritic fingers

You young whippersnappers dont realise we 30-somethings created online gaming! Quake..yes the first one was a success because of us! and in those days we had to pay 5pence (about 3 cents) per minute to play it over a 56k modem and it worked! (sometimes). talking wasnt an issue..we just didnt talk (though we could type chat but while you did that..someone would frag you) and when you won a round you used to hit a macro which would make your name spell out something like 'you suck, i'm great' on the leaderboard which would then crash the server and we'd all have to relog.

Everyone had the same gear stats just different 'skins' which you could make yourself (including a camo skin)

Dps wasnt a problem..if you were good, you killed more people before they killed you...if you were bad..you didnt

And best of all there were no Gold Farmers cos we didnt have any gold!

I could say more but i think i need to go to the toilet again...damn this bladder...*hobbles off*

woodyman
12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
haha well im 26 so not quite over the hill yet :P
my dad Is a healer tho and he is 49!
he is pretty good too. not the quickest on the keyboard but ive seen a lot worse

swelt
12-22-2009, 07:01 AM
I grew up with Quake, although I didn't really have the pc/internet connection til Quake 2 was in vogue. Indeed, I made a maps for Quake3/Doom3/Quake4 that have been used in the competition circuit.

It was probably getting older that led to me shifting from FPS to WoW. Having your ass handed to you over and over by kids gets tiresome after a while, my aim and reactions are nowhere near what they were. Although I still pop onto QuakeLive from time to time.

p.s. I don't consider "over 30" to be synonymous with "geriatric" :P

Blackwolfe
12-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm an old-timer tank (old-timer being 35)

Old age and treachery > youth and talent

And on the subject of Quake....those were the days [*pines for the days of yesteryear*]

Fledern
12-22-2009, 07:10 AM
You dont get to talk if you havent PvP'd on Doom1.

woodyman
12-22-2009, 07:12 AM
i remember writing patches on doom to make your character look like homer simpson an everything..
mmm patches in dos! fun

Reev
12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
26 years old here, and I have been playing games on a home computer since 1984. Apple 2 ftw. I may not be geriatric, but I think my gaming experience goes back almost as far as anyone's.

Oh, the good old days, when gearing meant whether to play as PacMan, or Ms. PacMan. Pink bows are overpowered. When getting one shot was when you were too slow at Pong.

Horacio
12-22-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm 35. I only feel old on certain days or when people in certain other forums don't know who Christopher Walken is....

People tend to think I'm older, that I'm very grouchy. As a raid leader, my 'get out of the fire!' sounds remarkably like 'Get off my lawn, you punks!' Maybe its the avatar that I've used her and on my guild forums for 5 years. /shrug

Martial
12-22-2009, 07:32 AM
i remember writing patches on doom to make your character look like homer simpson an everything..
mmm patches in dos! fun

Now that takes me back! i remember typing in 20pages of code into my Commodore 16 Plus 4 (couldnt afford the 64) just to play that game where the plane flies over the buildings and drops bombs! :D

swelt
12-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Plus 4?! You had it easy! I remember typing code out of a magazine into a ZX81 only to have the 16kb ram pack wobble and lose the lot!

(Please excuse the slight monty python overtones to this post)

Martial
12-22-2009, 07:44 AM
ZX81?! The RICH kids had those..he had to go down t' mine for 16hours a day, go home, eat cardboard for dinner then set to work trying to enter code into a brick with a couple of wires attached to it!

(sorry, had to continue the monty python thread!)

Twospirit
12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
I just turned 37 and don't feel particularly old until I talk to some of the techs here at work who don't know what I'm talking about when I talk about playing Doom1 on a 10base2 BNC network.

I still miss Tunnels of Doom on my TI/99 to this day. Although I do not miss having to keep track of a pile of cassettes to save my game on.

Reev
12-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I used to play Doom 1 on my mother's work network on the weekends. She would bring me and a group of my friends there and borrow her coworkers' computers and set us up and we'd play for a few hours. Always thought it was amazing.

Satrina
12-22-2009, 08:35 AM
The first game I ever bought with my own money: Wizardry: The Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry)

Reev
12-22-2009, 08:39 AM
First game I ever bought with my own money: Civilization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_%28computer_game%29)

I was 8 or 9 years old, and I spent $70 on it. A lot of my savings went into that game, and it was worth every penny to me. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

Zurena
12-22-2009, 08:42 AM
My first game wasn't until long after I'd been using computers since I didn't own one until (relatively) recently. Although perhaps I could say my first game was the loading turtles on a TRS80 at school.

Geriatric! Hrmph!

Rakarech
12-22-2009, 08:58 AM
First game I got with my own money was uh... Treasures of the Savage Frontier. one of those old SSI gold box games. I am however, 29, and so can still be called youngin.

Myranmys
12-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I wish I could be 35 again... When I was in college and got tired of studying I went to the lab and played rogue - the antecedent of diablo.

Zurena
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
ah yes rogue and hack. and then Urogue and nethack. Oh, and adventure.

Before you is a maze of twisty passages that all look the same.

Cholerabob
12-22-2009, 09:26 AM
56k ? wow i can still remember the price tag of 150$ for my first 14400.... Duke Nukem, the king of it all :) Tribes my first online game. Oh and Commander Keen... Now that's an old one.

I'm 43 and just caming back to tanking, moving away from DPS. Yeah the good old days.

Ulantor
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I just turned 40 in September, been tanking since I hit level 37 so i could go to Scarlet Monestary.

First game I got with my own money was Battle of Midway from Avalon Hill. Used a cassette drive with my Commordore PET 4032. It's the only game I ever hacked.

Blue
12-22-2009, 10:00 AM
You guys are all waay too young for the title "Geriatric"...

So am I, by the way, although I'm 58...

My first computer game was "SpaceQuest"...it came on those new-fangled 3.5" diskettes.

My nephew had a job, testing games for a Japanese company, and advising them on marketability in the US...I got an advanced copy of "Wolfenstein", two weeks before release.

One of my favorite computer games of all, was "Starflight", and "Starflight2".

I also liked the Ultima series, but never played multi person online, untill WoW, two years ago.

My first gaming rig was the Atari 2600--cost $250 new, which was a lot of money, but a huge upgrade to my previous toys/hobbies--stacking card houses on old turntables, and hitting the "on" switch...

Tybalt
12-22-2009, 01:07 PM
26 years old here, and I have been playing games on a home computer since 1984. Apple 2 ftw. I may not be geriatric, but I think my gaming experience goes back almost as far as anyone's.

Oh, the good old days, when gearing meant whether to play as PacMan, or Ms. PacMan. Pink bows are overpowered. When getting one shot was when you were too slow at Pong.

Considering 1984 was 25 years ago, playing games on an Apple II at 1 year old is impressive!

Bladesong
12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
41. My old roommate and I drilled a hole through the wall of the apartment we were renting so we could string a cable through and play Doom deathmatches. The only time people online know I'm old is when I lose my patience with people who feel the need to tell everyone how drunk/stoned they are :mad: I sound like a crotchety old fart when I'm irritated.

mvrander
12-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Well I'm far from old at 32 but did the doom/quake etc and spent far too many years of my life playing counter strike in it's various forms before coming to Wow, I still go back to it in order whoop some l33t kiddies into shape from time to time.

Makes me laugh when people think tanking or healing takes good reactions. They should try Quake death matches or have played CS1.3 or earlier before it all got slowed down.

And before you lot and your newfangled internet sprang up I used to a run a BBS overnight from 10pm till 7am off an Amiga and a 2400 baud modem. I only regret missing out on the days of the modems that you had to put your phone on top of like in War Games. My parents still get random calls from modems 15 years or so later.

Warwench
12-23-2009, 05:03 AM
34 here.

Varagar
12-23-2009, 07:44 AM
/raises hand

33 here, and aging much faster now that I have two small children.

My 'twitch' reflexes haven't really diminished at all, they've just adapted. Instead of fast reaction times in game, they've transferred to "mean time to resolve wife yelling" and "oh crap my daughter just fell down and cracked her head open I need to get her to the hospitol" scenarios. My ability to catch a falling toddler is as sharp as it ever has been.

In game? I'm relaxing.

-Varagar

HarassMe
12-23-2009, 07:50 AM
28 here and i've been playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online... anyone who played that, in the early days, and actually stayed with it... YOU are hardcore.

UO was brutal starting out... BRUTAL. This was a lot of the fun for me... i spent more time running away from higher "lvl" characters, than i did actually working on my own progression.

However, my gaming experience starts way before that... the first "networked" game i ever played was Doom 1... me and my buddy worked together to get dialed in to each other's pc, with a blazing 14.4 US Robotics modem! WIN!

we were in the 7th grade at the time and i know people, today, that wouldnt be able to figure out how to get that shit to work. :epeenflex:

Still... Wolfenstein 3D and the ORIGINAL side scrolling Duke Nukem games, ate up most of my time.

Kazeyonoma
12-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Probably a better topic in the Off-Topic forums =]

Moved.

woodyman
12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Lol all that nostalgia derailed the thread somewhat :P

Reev
12-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Considering 1984 was 25 years ago, playing games on an Apple II at 1 year old is impressive!

Yup! There was a Sesame Street game that had this massive (to a one year old) pad with lots of interesting buttons and stuff that I used to play with at that age. I learned to read at 3 years old because there was a mickey mouse solar system adventure game I wanted to play, and my father told me only people who could read could play, haha!

Nez
12-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Pong was the first video game I played. I think it was like 75-76 my Mom bought it for us at Xmas. LOL First big PC game I played was Ultima for Apple II. There was some other Apple D&D style game we played prior to that, but I cant recall the name.
But yeah, I tank, love it. I do not think that age makes any better of a tank, cept maybe more patience dealing with stuff. And maybe less tolerance for BS. haha
:D

Bafraid
12-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Just turned 50 Dec. 20. Ahh yea Atari 2600 was my first gamming rig. Then I upgraded to the Atari 5200 with a trac ball. I played with that one for years. Anyone remember Missle Command??

Satrina
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Atari 2600 Defender.

Saent
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
The first game I ever bought with my own money: Wizardry: The Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry)

Same here, by far one of the best RPG addictions of my young life. The hours I spent trying to roll a Samurai as an initial character to avoid the class change penalty!

And the hours spent trying to get my thief-turned-ninja to not totally suck and start insta-killing mobs!

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, Satrina =)

((Oh, and Wizardry 8 for the PC was actually pretty addictive and entertaining as heck...although the space-travel influence was pretty heavy in that one and somewhat dulled the pure-fantasy vibe))

Penlowe
12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I learned to read at 3 years old because there was a mickey mouse solar system adventure game I wanted to play, and my father told me only people who could read could play,
Our oldest was reading at 4 because she wanted to play WoW with daddy, we said the same thing to her :)

Sagern
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
31 here

Didn't play much fps or anything with graphics, but started my online gaming with pvp DnD based MUDs...

I like to thing the fast reaction required to play these old superscrolling text games help my tanking/healing/dpsing, but i could be wrong.

Logged into the one i had played the most a couple months ago, on a newely created toon, since i forgot pword for my original toon. I know the game was dying when i quit many years ago but was interesting to see my Drow priest was still rated #2, and was #3 on the top ten pkill list still. My buddies warrior still sitting #1. Ahh the memories of hunting down those dang "whities" all night!

I remember playing a little doom1 on a friends computer a few times, though never owned it myself.

I think the first multiplayer graphics based games i played was Diablo1-2, and Acheron's Call 1-2, before i stepped into WoW.

Rakarech
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Ahem. Who here is talking about Nethack in nostalgic terms? I still play it every day! :D

HarassMe
12-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Ahem. Who here is talking about Nethack in nostalgic terms? I still play it every day! :D

no kidding, i still play a MUD while i'm at work. 3 Kingdoms baby!!

Eisen
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
32 and still tanking. I remember Nethack, and Meridian, and GIII, and all that good stuff fondly.

Fusik
12-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Alright gonna stick out, but... I am 17 turning 18 on Jan.12 2010 and I have been gaming since I was one. Use to sit down with my dad and play the Atari 2600. Frostbite got me for hours and hours or solid gaming. Once I mastered Frostbite, or got bored it was on to Centipieds. Then my father got me hooked on the Original Nes, playing Mario, duck hunter and all those snazzy games. I got all the mini arcades that you can carry around for like Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, The Paper Route Boy, and such. Computer gaming wasn't a big thing in my books, till about 3-4 years ago when I started Starcraft, and D2. I play D2 like noone else lol. But either way I believe the age doesn't matter because I am and many others having been gaming for a real long time!

But /tiphat to all the older folks who have the experience to still whoop our ass :P

Insahnity
12-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Would you like us to bop you over the head with our walker?

You would be hard pressed to find many people over 55 in the game, much less tanking. And I know that seems like a venerable age at 17, but geriatric is "drooling in an old folks home" age.

And realistically, it's the younger generation that grew up with technology that are better prepared to be good gamers. It's the time spent playing the game, not the time spent on planet earth. Now I have been playing computer games for at least 25 years, but it's the 5 years of WoW and more importantly, spending time on forums like this that makes me a better than average player. But I am still blown away by today's teenagers who can actually carry on full text message conversations with friends and a separate voice conversation without even looking at their phone with its stamp sized 12 button keypad.

Fusik
12-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Would you like us to bop you over the head with our walker?

You would be hard pressed to find many people over 55 in the game, much less tanking. And I know that seems like a venerable age at 17, but geriatric is "drooling in an old folks home" age.

And realistically, it's the younger generation that grew up with technology that are better prepared to be good gamers. It's the time spent playing the game, not the time spent on planet earth. Now I have been playing computer games for at least 25 years, but it's the 5 years of WoW and more importantly, spending time on forums like this that makes me a better than average player. But I am still blown away by today's teenagers who can actually carry on full text message conversations with friends and a separate voice conversation without even looking at their phone with its stamp sized 12 button keypad.

Funny story lol. I can text without looking, carry on a msn conversation and usually alt tab to switch my music while healing something like TOC25 or ICC10 man. If you want meters I will be top, and lowest overhealing but that's just a bonus :P

Penlowe
01-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Fusik, stop it. I'm sure these comments are screamingly funny to you but in 5 years you will be facepalming those with the same attitude you are giving now. Try listening to the older generation instead of laughing at them, you just might learn something.

Blue
01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm 35. I only feel old on certain days or when people in certain other forums don't know who Christopher Walken is....

People tend to think I'm older, that I'm very grouchy. As a raid leader, my 'get out of the fire!' sounds remarkably like 'Get off my lawn, you punks!' Maybe its the avatar that I've used her and on my guild forums for 5 years. /shrug

You mean, that Avatar isn't you? Darn, now I have to find another "hero" figure! ;) (just kidding)