PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Marmot -- Santa-liena & Santa-helm & Defro'd Frodo!

Ciderhelm
12-21-2009, 09:11 PM
OJNCk4G2xM0

dmvzFE53HsM

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/members/spiritus-albums-misc-picture710-christmasmarmot2.png Eroti-marmot says Merry Christmas! (Courtesy Spiritus)

Ciderhelm
12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Movie up! Donor download in ~45 minutes!

Erzan
12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
It really differs from family to family here in America.

Personally, my family gathers together on Christmas Eve and disperses gifts to all of the different branches. However, Christmas Morning is typically spent with Mom, Dad, and my Sister (And her husband now). The other relatives spend it with their sections of the family.

We have a large dinner on Christmas Eve usually centered around a large ham and "Tuna Burgers" (Tuna Melts).

I do have a lot of friends that do everything on Christmas day though. So yeah, that's about it.

Have a great Christmas, Miss.

- Erzan

P.S. Thanks for answering my question! And OMG. Cameo of the Decade!

redneck6979
12-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Cider-Claus ftw.

Spiritus
12-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Merry Christmas everyone and have a happy new year! I hope Santa Helm leaves you phat lewts under the tree!

Knighterrant81
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Nice video. Have to agree on the stat weighting. Friends don't let friends gem haste (or crit!). You'll get more than enough from gear and raid buffs. Gem for (Holy) Spellpower, SP/Spirit if you need to fit a blue slot and need throughput or Int/Spirit if you need to fit a blue slot and need regen, and SP/intellect if you need to fit a yellow socket.

Interesting side note: On our Saurfang kills this week, both 10 and 25, and on our Lady Deathwisper, amg I had to *use shadowfiend, hymn of hope, and a mana pot!* STOP THE PRESSES!

I'm thinking what I may do is throw out the Purified Dreadstones in the blue slots on my tier gear, and replace them with Seer's Eye of Zul. I've got a JC alt and 60+ triumph badges burning a hole in my pocket.

I figure by the time I have enough frost badges to replace all or most of my t9 pieces, I won't be feeling the regen pinch, and will gem for throughput again, although perhaps for hardmodes, there might still be some pinching.

As for resto Shaman, our resto shaman has been doing pretty nicely on fights they favor. Our Shaman does pretty nicely on Deathwhisper. And of course, Resto Druid can rock the meters on the right type of fight.

But Priests, especially Holy, are no slouches on meters either, and fill an important niche in a healing team. We're like the first responders, we prevent death until the rest of the healing team can arrive on the target. A Disc Priest does this with shields, preventing the damage, while a Holy Priest does this with instant casts, giving the target a jolt of healing before the next tick/fire whatever finishes them off. This gives Wild Growth, Chain Heal and other spells a chance to reach their targets. Prayer of Mending can also help prevent deaths if there's spike damage in the raid. We're the raid's first line of defense, and those poor restos are just our backup :)

I always notice when the damage is minimal, I usually have to work pretty hard to get any showing on the meters (although I'm not being stressed about people dying, so I have nothing better to do than attempt to pad meters). However, if there's a TON of damage going out, especially focused splash damage (think about the Marrowgar trash that blows up all over the melee when they die), we really start to shine, because we get there FIRST.

Another idea: yes its fun to try to compare on the meters, but what I use meters for is to improve my performance. I am looking for what spells give me the most healing. I'll also look at the other healers. If I see that a Resto Druid is rocking the meters with hots, I'll try to use more renew. If the resto shaman is topping the meter and 85% of their healing is from Chain heal, I'll make sure to use Circle of Healing and Prayer of Mending every chance I get. And if Holy Paladins are topping the meters, well, it means the tank is getting his patukus kicked, and we're doing something wrong anyway :P

Ciderhelm
12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Donor download is up!

Swam
12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
oh my frelling god
epic
I think Lore will lose this week.

Kazeyonoma
12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Cider you have such sexy eyes.

Aliena
12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Doesn't he!

ghiradelli
12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
OMG it is Ciderhelm! My first guest was that Lore went to Germany but I would have never guessed it would be Ciderhelm attaching his little snippet at the end. At least we have now clarified on the identity of Ciderhelm and what he as been up to mentioned in the first episode of the Weekly Marmot. kinda disappointed that he is not a girl though, but as the person above me has mentioned, you have some damn sexy eyebrows! lol

What is that poster behind ciderhelm?

Antikris
12-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Merry Christmas Santa-liena and Santahelm. Merry Christmas Tankspot.

The mammoth rider in Orgri at the start, putting everything in perspective with his /yell, is a nice touch. XD

Ciderhelm
12-22-2009, 01:08 AM
What is that poster behind ciderhelm?
That is a custom print of artwork I commissioned for our browser-based game project. Absolutely beautiful image. Same artist who we commissioned for the TankSpot background.

Here's a small version of the image:
Paladin and lady of the manor by ~azazel1944 on deviantART (http://azazel1944.deviantart.com/art/Paladin-and-lady-of-the-manor-141911152#3)

Krashtork
12-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Cider-Claus ftw.

^ This. Glad to hear from you Cider, I miss your podcasts and videos, hope you have a merry Christmas!

dotOrion
12-22-2009, 01:48 AM
This video has several degrees of awesomeness :cool:
Aliena looks so cute in her outfit .. and so does Ciderhelm tbh :p

Anyway .. to answer your question: We always invite my grandparents over for dinner on december 24th, though we don't really have a tradition on what to eat. This year we'll probably be eating fish, for example :)

Merry Christmas to the entire Tankspot crew !

Ayeree
12-22-2009, 01:56 AM
I find myself missing Ciderhelm's inappropriately loud voice overs more and more...

Titangrip
12-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Dear lord is that ciderhelm?

Wtb real face

Pwnanapuddin
12-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all you Tankspot fokes. My favorite part of coming home for the holidays is that my family is from Memphis TN. So I get to have my favorite meal in the world, Pulled Pork BBQ from the Germantown Commissary! (and we did last night)

We also tend to try and have non-traditional Christmas meals now that my 3 sisters (yes its a nightmare) and myself are older. Honeybaked Ham is about the only traditional Christmas food you will see around here.

veneretio
12-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Dear lord is that ciderhelm?

Wtb real face
Donor Exclusive: Ciderhelm Debearded (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f184/60334-donor-exclusive-ciderhelm-debearded.html)

Titangrip
12-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Donor Exclusive: Ciderhelm Debearded (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f184/60334-donor-exclusive-ciderhelm-debearded.html)

Damn, donors only.

Krenian
12-22-2009, 04:41 AM
WIIIIIIIIIIN Cider :D WIN!!

Alastrionia
12-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Absolutely awesome :D

A very merry christmas wish to all tankspot members.

I get the joy of working both the 24th and 25th, so it's Safeway to the rescue for dinner, lol. I expect to do a lot of lurking here while at work :p

Lilie
12-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Fantastic :). Merry Christmas all!

manicus
12-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Hey Aliena,

Awesome vid, and great to see cider back in action. I've been lurking around tankspot for a while, and it's been really great to see the site really take off in 2009.

I do wonder however, after your tanks found out you are incredibly hot (I can't believe no-one have commented on that yet..), do they ever criticize you for causing wipes, or do they make up excuses as: "Uh, thats my fault, i was out of range/didn't blow my cooldown/got crit/etc" ;)

Much respect as to your points on healing, for me, when grabbing priests for healers, it is mostly because i know they can do everything. They might not have the raw power of druids or pallies, but I think that priests can hold their own because of their versatility. Keeping serendipity stacked and reacting to the situation with guardian spirit, greater heal or prayer of healing, thats just pure win in my book.

I wish both you, Lore and Cider a merry christmas.

WAckoo
12-22-2009, 06:41 AM
YAY ciderhelm :D , Tankspot pwns :) , you know that picture could be showing ciderhelm as the little marmot, lore as the paladin (if he gets a haircut ^^) and aliena as the Lady of the manor :). and i wish you all who might see this reply a very merry christmas and a happy new year!

Marrick
12-22-2009, 07:12 AM
My mother-in-law takes in exchange students and it's kind of cool to talk to them about what's different. Last year she happened to have a German girl, so I've had some of the same perspective as you.

/lives in Ontario
//Mother-in-law tries to incorporate some of the students' traditions so they don't get as homesick

Thaak
12-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Geese?

This is America, Goose sits behind Maveric!<wink>

p.s. Hopefully someone gets that.

hellokitti
12-22-2009, 07:49 AM
To answer Aliena's query on how our family celebrates Christmas, we are Italian-Americans (I am not but my entire husband's family is...I am Irish and Scottish, so my holiday traditions involve alcohol...wait, so do my Italian in-laws...no wonder I married him!)

In honor of my huband's aunt, I will make straticella soup for Christmas eve dinner (it is an Italian egg-drop soup) which is his family's tradition. We will also fry up some talipia or salmon and of course have lots of (some Italian) cookies (wine cookies, pizelles, potica, Russian tea cookies, and of course various forms of chocolate cookies.) We also open some presents on Christmas Eve and attend mass. For Christmas morning, I will make Panettone french toast casserole and very, very strong coffee (we do have a 4 year old.) Our family also prepares a ham using our own homemade glaze. We will be using a ginger-pear glaze this year. My family tradition consists of surprising someone with a 10K piece puzzle or the infamous Booger Baby (my attempt as a 9 year old to make a Cabbage Patch Kid...it has now been re-gifted for the last 29 years with some new updates added on over the years.) No one leaves until the puzzle is finished and whoever gets the Booger Baby immediately begins plotting on who will receive it next year. Santa has nothing on us when it comes to making a list of who as been naughty. I have the Booger Baby this year...Merry Christmas, one and all!

hellokitti
12-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Geese?

This is America, Goose sits behind Maveric!<wink>

p.s. Hopefully someone gets that.

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. :cool:

PatrikL
12-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Damn, donors only.

Didn't you say WTB?

Lakshata
12-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I want to see how lore tries to 1 up her this time.

Holdfing
12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
We pretty much have the same traditions 'round here (presents on Christmas Eve, some big bird for dinner, that sorta thing), but we also eat "bejgli" (poppy seed rolls). Yum! Also, it's Baby Jesus who brings the presents, Santa's been here on the 6th already :)

Keep up the good work, and Merry Christmas!

~Holdfing the Insane

Xemmas
12-22-2009, 08:55 AM
OMG! IS NOT A ROBOT!! LOL!

Merry Christmas and great work!!

Dythan
12-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! Greatest time of the year ^-^. My jaw dropped as soon sall Santahelm Great to see guest on the show woot

My familys tradition is to make Waffles and bacon mmm bacon no wait waffles still great christmas morning =D

Ciruss
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
My family goes to Germany to visit my cousins and parents ( I was born originally down there ) We usually have a goose and other things. PS: The candy is amazing! Your missing out on alot.

Lynnx
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
That was a nice try Cider. We all still know you are a robot!

Merry Christmas to all of the Tankspot Community!

zaubade
12-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I want to see how lore tries to 1 up her this time.

Lore is just out of luck this time.. Aliena has that totally cute (ie hot) Santa suit and Cider made a guest appearance.. best episode so far
The info was also as usual helpful...

I tank but come the expansion there will be a new worgen priest healer in my guild. I have two incredibly attractive women helping me learn the class.. my wife who is a priest healer and one of the main healers for the guild we are in. And all of the cool guides and info Aliena has to offer :)

Lakshata
12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Lore is just out of luck this time.. Aliena has that totally cute (ie hot) Santa suit and Cider made a guest appearance.. best episode so far
The info was also as usual helpful...

I tank but come the expansion there will be a new worgen priest healer in my guild. I have two incredibly attractive women helping me learn the class.. my wife who is a priest healer and one of the main healers for the guild we are in. And all of the cool guides and info Aliena has to offer :)

Oh priest healing is A LOT of fun, more fun than my shamans usual chainheal until desired effect is had. My priest is only level 73, but I LOVE healing as holy.

Edit - speaking of which my priest is on your realm xD

Darkphyre
12-22-2009, 08:54 PM
20,000g for the de-bearding of the one they call cider-claus!!!

Dead...or Alive!!!

Khue
12-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Epic product placement Cider.

zaubade
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh priest healing is A LOT of fun, more fun than my shamans usual chainheal until desired effect is had. My priest is only level 73, but I LOVE healing as holy.

Edit - speaking of which my priest is on your realm xD

hehe well if i am not in a raid send me a tell sometime. :)

Trosko
12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
First of all ty all for doing such an amazing jog here.
Love the video guides thru bosses and also like to watch other movies here cause its fun!
Anyways... responding Ailena. Here i like to spend the holidays with my family. Christmas is a time of celebration and I love doing that. We dont see each other so often so whenever we can gather to have a celebration we just do it. :D
I just would like to wish u all a merry chistmas and new year to all readers here.
Cya! ;)

Vira
12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
What is the song used in this podcast ? (i dont mean the christmasy one at the end, but the relaxing tune for the first 8 minutes)

Merry christmas :)

Lakshata
12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
when do we get lore's! I want to see this xD

Ciderhelm
12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Lore's movie is up!

Mistraven
12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
another option instead of looking up someones armory, is pugchecker, it is another quicker option to use. A few guilds i know, they like it more that gearscore

Ciruss
12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
I started to laugh when I saw Lore's hair.. Anyway nice job, both of you.

Midnightzak
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
@ Lore

So yea, my buddy and I are watching Stargate SG1 from start to finish. During this I realized that you look exactly like "Fifth" one of the Human Form Replicators! (Bad guy from season 7 or so...)

Check it out:
Fifth - The Stargate Omnipedia (http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Fifth)

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/56/Fifth1.jpg/300px-Fifth1.jpg

What say you to this? Are you a famous actor and not telling us? Consider a shoutout and response in your next Marmot! :)

BTW, fun vids each week, keep it up!

2ndNin
12-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Merry Christmas.

Lore, addressing the DPS in PUG aspects.

A large proportion of Heroic level DPS is time on target based due to the limited lifespan of mobs. Typically most PUG DPS have relatively low time on target (3-4 seconds after tank on trash) giving say 80% of their maximum damage compared to the tank's time on target. This factor is massive and little understood.

Damage is the product of (EToT * DPS)+SUM[(ToT*Misc)]_Misc Effects that is the effective time on target multiplied by the DPS plus the total time on target for the misc effects damage (dots etc that continue to tick while moving etc).

I have seen the same character go from 50% of damage done in the group, to 20% (moving from 1st to 4th in Damage Done) due to time on target pulling with the tank vs pulling after the tank. In short fights, EToT is the criteria more so than DPS.

For raid encounters a larger part is the lack of knowledge, however there is a much higher level of personal responsibility in a PUG than in a guild raid. While you can could on a healer to handle and know your life-tapping Lock's habits in a guild raid such an attitude gets you killed in a PUG. Thus you are far more cautious in a PUG than in the same guild run (same for standing in fires, you can likely finish a cast then utilise the next gcd to reacquire resources or similar in a guild run, however fires are bad in PUGs). There is a lot more to low DPS than simply not knowing the right rotations.

On Gearscore

Gearscore is a weighted summation of iLevels of your currently worn gear, meaning it has no relevance at all to the quality of gear. A better version could be made and class-specific if you accept a massive inflation of the database size (10 classes x gear score value as opposed to 1 x weighted x iLevel). It is a relatively effective tool to measure potential as a "has seen latest raid content" or "has still to farm heroics" but beyond that its a little harder to define since trinkets offer a swing of about 150 points.

Overall, its a tool to simplify your checking progress, there is little point to taking a 3000 GS person to ToCGC25 given their potential is massively lower than that of someone at 5000 (assuming a linear gear scaling which as we both note doesn't actually happen). However it does let you weed out the definite noes faster.

Martial
12-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Well i understood the Merry Christmas bit....

2ndNin
12-24-2009, 06:42 AM
:P

Basically, DPS in heroics is about time on target, its why a tank sustaining 1.5k can still be easily top on damage done, sustained time on target. The difference of 3-4seconds before starting dps + tick times on AoE (1-2s before the first tick) can make a massive difference on a 15s fight.

In raids and similar there are a lot of additional factor that guild runs do not encounter. For example dealing with accidental aggro on whelps, timing of life taps etc all of which can massively affect dps. Taking Onyxia as an example you tend to wait longer to DPS in a pug (for fear of being whelped and thus being a floor hugger) than in a guild run where you know the tank will pick up, or at worst you will get heals.

These factors add up to make PUG DPS significantly harder than guild run DPS. If you get a good tank a lot of these seem to disappear but its a different situation each PUG.

On the gear score stuff it tells you one of four things:

1: Undergeared
2: Gearing up through heroics / Non-current content
3: Geared for current content
4: Geared from current content

However the issue is that gear does not scale linearly with item level, the darkmoon card: greatness is still better than many other trinkets of higher level. This problem could be fixed to make the addon smart, however it would be a lot heavier weightass it would not simply be a sum of (slot modifier)* (item level) but a precalculated value based on class, spec and other gearing at current.

What this means is that you have to consider a swing of ~150-300 GS to be nearly irrelevant to account for trinkets etc being "overvalued", meaning when considering "end of conquest items" to be 4400, "end of triumphs" to be ~4800 you want to look +-300 as still acceptable.

As an example the armour penetration gear becomes far more valuable the more you have on some classes, 1 piece is ok, 2 is good, 3 is <3.

Aviriorix
12-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Just wondering does anyone know where to get the tiny plate addon seems like a really helpful thing

Lakshata
12-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Just wondering does anyone know where to get the tiny plate addon seems like a really helpful thing

Tidy Plates: Clean Plates - WoW AddOns - WowAce.com (http://www.wowace.com/addons/tidy-plates-clean-plates/)

Theres the WoWace link, although I'm sure you could find it on curse as well.

As for gearscore, yeah I'm not a fan of that addon, my gear score is much higher in my PvP gear, mostly relentless and furious, compared to my PvE gear which is mostly Ilvl 232 and still some ulduar peices.

Even after that I still pump out more raw damage than most people of equivalent or higher scores. I use be.imba.hu or wow-heroes to check, although thats just about as touchy :/

Reyalz
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Well I have been using an addon for quite sometime called Examiner. Nice lil app that gets all the info you want. Pops it up on your inspect ui very simple and lite weight. Not the end all be all but easier than alt+tabbing and searching armory. And no I have yet to see a 'I suck and refuse to take advice' addon.

Examiner - Addons - Curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/examiner.aspx)

Merry Christmas and Lore Shave it or go home :D

Doc309
12-25-2009, 03:40 AM
from frodo to golem in one haircut.

LOL

Doc

Satorri
12-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Funny story, re: GearScore.

I have a DK on a second server to play with some friends. All of my other 80s are on a different server, along with their achievements and local reputation. My new little DK hit 80 last Monday night, and in the 6 days since has gotten 4 pieces of t9.0, both epic rings (200, 245), 219 helm, weapon, belt, and 200 blue neck, cloak, and other trinket. Haven't upgraded my sigil (will happen tonight), and have 187 blue bracers (BS craftable, all Str/Crit/Hit, better than most 200 bracers from heroics). So, long story short, she's sporting an avg ilvl of around 204, and her gear score is probably relatively low.

I joined a random HoR heroic pug. Within 5 seconds of loading in (not long enough to *actually* look at my gear, the "healer" (in shadow spec, not switched yet) informs me, "DK you're not geared enough."

I tell her not to worry and my friend who queued with me tells her that I can totally hold my own (and in fact I'd cleared this instance previously). She insists I'm just not geared enough even if the LFG system let me queue for HoR.

The rest of the group just wants to get going at this point, so they tell her to go with it and see what happens. They start the intro, but when time comes for the pulls she refuses to swap specs, "I'm not healing under-geared dps!" The pulls start, we all die. Now that group is pissed at her and demanding she pay for their repair bills.

I'm not usually the hot-headed sort, so I just told her, "it's simple, if you don't want to play your part, you can leave or we can kick you." She said, "I'll just stick around until you do." 5 seconds later she's kicked and we got a very good sport of a Paladin healer (awful instance to heal as a Paladin in the first waves).

We clear the instance lickity split, even missed the high-speed achievement on the final gauntlet by 3 seconds. I was #1 on DPS at about 4.2k average overall.

GearScore is not a measure of player skill. True story. =)

Really wish I could've linked her damage meters so maybe she could've learned to loosen up...