PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Best Class to learn off of?

Parabola
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
What would you say would be the best class to learn tanking off of. I am going to roll a tank character tonight and am kinda stuck on which class would be the most beneficial for learning the basics of tanking.

CatabriOnEarthen
12-21-2009, 03:40 PM
It depends on personal play style. I have a pally main spec tank and a DK offspec tank. They are completely different to tank with. I can't stand warriors (as in playing them myself) or druids.

Play around w/them all. With the exception of the DK, play for 10 - 15 levels. All you've lost is a few hours of your time.

Parabola
12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Yea that was my original plan, how has the pally been working out for you so far?

MellvarTank
12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I would recommend either a palli or druid. Why? Multi-class toons. If you decide that you don't like tanking, you can dps/heal too. The other tank classes are dps or tank, two options.

Parabola
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
True a hybrid class that covers the 3 bases would keep me out of altpurgatory

CatabriOnEarthen
12-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Yea that was my original plan, how has the pally been working out for you so far?

I love pally tanking. I haven't run around on the DK tanking (or dps-ing either, for that matter) to get the dynamics down. After a while, you are always in the tank mind set, no matter what you are on, and peel mobs off the healer, and hope the tanks peels them off you.

Insahnity
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I would recommend either a palli or druid. Why? Multi-class toons. If you decide that you don't like tanking, you can dps/heal too. The other tank classes are dps or tank, two options.

True a hybrid class that covers the 3 bases would keep me out of altpurgatory

This is one reason. Another, from a strictly tanking perspective, is that they have the least buttons to push, and making them the easiest to cope with.

Parabola
12-21-2009, 04:17 PM
This is one reason. Another, from a strictly tanking perspective, is that they have the least buttons to push, and making them the easiest to cope with.

Easy rotations are definetly a plus, lets me keep my attention to other things.

Inaoe
12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I've tanked on three classes now. Warrior is my main, the paladin I tanked through heroics pre 3.3 and right now I'm trying to make my way through the first heroics with my DK.

The warrior is probably the one wich needs the most practice. It's quiet clear what to use in wich situation. Positioning and dealing with casters / ranged is often key, as well as quickly going though your priority list of skills, practicing with tools like heroic throw, shield bash, spell reflect etc.

The DK I am trying to learn right now I find surprisingly difficult. Managing runes is something that seems pretty hard to find out for me. Planning ahead what you want to do in the next 10 seconds is important sometimes or the runes you need are on cooldown. Positioning is less of a concern, at least as frost, with strong AoEs and Death Grip. I have very limited experience with that class though, but that's my first impression. I don't know for the other specs, I have yet to test them.

Personally I had the easiest time with the paladin. I found that the paladin is the fastest to gear for heroics, he is very strong at early stages. The 969 rotation is quite simple to learn, he automatically puts out good AoE and single target TPS.

So, if you just want to get into tanking mechanics, I would say, try a paladin.