PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Tankadin lf halp

Oldan
12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
This is another "Look at me and tell me how bad Im doing." thread. Lay on the criticism and advice please. I basically want to get into Naxx reg and need to know how close i am to it, as a tank of course. Second, I watch to videos and read the posts but man when i get to the bosses i just plain blank out to how the fight goes, any suggestions?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Click:

Theendofus on Thunderhorn realm

CatabriOnEarthen
12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Your gear looks fine. I'd consider putting 3/3 in Crusade if you want to go to Naxx. There's an awful lot of undead in there and 6% extra damage is nothing to sneeze at.

I'd replace the Judgement glyph with the one for Righteous Defense, especially since you aren't hit capped.

Pick up the sense undead minor glyph, and run sense undead all the time.

Try to pick up the Black Heart out of ToC 5 man (heroic, I think) for the armor buff. It procs all the time.

Other than that, you look pretty good for Naxx.

Oldan
12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm going to get the shoulder and head enchants. I just recently got those items and haven't had a chance yet. Thanx for the reply.

Jameak
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks good. If the DPS is over geared threat might be a problem but other than that mate, go nuts!

Oldan
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Great thnx alot. Gonna run it tonight with my son healing me, should be fun.:o Ill let you guys know how it went.

Oldan
12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok so Naxx went very well. cleared arachnid qrtr and got to patchwork. We decided to quit for the night. One problem I had was my slow reaction to taunting off of over active dps. I have grid + clique which alows me to see when someone pulls off me and then i can easily use righteous def with one click of the frame. What Im trying to figure out, is there a way i can write a macro that i can assign to clique that when i click on a friendly frame it will target the friendly's attacker and cast Hand of Reckoning? Any suggestions? I really like the grid+clique setup cause i also heal and use it alot on offspecc. Thank you in advance. sorry for the wall of words :)

Rominoodle
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Ok...so your gear looks good, but your spec is slightly questionable. Before I get to that, can I just ask you...why are you running Naxx? With how easy it is to get triumph badges, you can get up to ToC 10 equivalent gear in about a week of doing random heroics.

Best prot build that i've found is 0/53/18. Drop the extra point from SA, you really only need one. I would also drop the point in IMP BoM and put it into Benediction...only because you never really use BoM as a prot pally...and 2% reduced mana will always help since as prot all of your casts are instant. Drop 4 of your points from conviction and go into pursuit of justice and 3/3 into crusade. PoJ used to be laughed at, but 50% reduced Disarm effect is straight baller as a tank. A lot of people talk about how HoR glyph isn't worth it, but threat wise, hitting 4 targets instead of 3...works!

CatabriOnEarthen
12-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Ok so Naxx went very well. cleared arachnid qrtr and got to patchwork. We decided to quit for the night. One problem I had was my slow reaction to taunting off of over active dps. I have grid + clique which alows me to see when someone pulls off me and then i can easily use righteous def with one click of the frame. What Im trying to figure out, is there a way i can write a macro that i can assign to clique that when i click on a friendly frame it will target the friendly's attacker and cast Hand of Reckoning? Any suggestions? I really like the grid+clique setup cause i also heal and use it alot on offspecc. Thank you in advance. sorry for the wall of words :)

Just put RD in Clique and Salv.

Oldan
12-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Ok...so your gear looks good, but your spec is slightly questionable. Before I get to that, can I just ask you...why are you running Naxx? With how easy it is to get triumph badges, you can get up to ToC 10 equivalent gear in about a week of doing random heroics.

Best prot build that i've found is 0/53/18. Drop the extra point from SA, you really only need one. I would also drop the point in IMP BoM and put it into Benediction...only because you never really use BoM as a prot pally...and 2% reduced mana will always help since as prot all of your casts are instant. Drop 4 of your points from conviction and go into pursuit of justice and 3/3 into crusade. PoJ used to be laughed at, but 50% reduced Disarm effect is straight baller as a tank. A lot of people talk about how HoR glyph isn't worth it, but threat wise, hitting 4 targets instead of 3...works!

Ok so i took some of your advice. First I'm only doing Naxx for tank exp and to clear content but I also do a lot of heroics so im getting a ton of emblems. Plus my son is healing and he wanted to run it with me.

Second i changed my talents take a look. I wasnt sure of speccing DS cause im not sure if I need it at this point, heroics. I know I need some chants and such but im poor and doing my best, dont get much play time to do dailies. I'm not having mana issues yet cause I balance SoV and SoW and DP so I keep mana above 50% normaly.

Third is a question. Do you have problems with those pesky Locks pulling from you? Most likely its because they are targeting secondary kills and not the primary. But besides yelling at him to watch his but and putting HoS on him what else do you suggest?

Any other advice on current specc, gear, chants etc?

O and I havent gotten the HoR glyph cause I was having issues on missed taunts.

Thank you for response and follow up.

Oldan
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Just put RD in Clique and Salv.

I have both RD and Salv on clique but I need to know how to incorporate HoR also.

Adamaeldar
12-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Disclaimer: I've never used Grid/Clique.

However: Hand of Reckoning will work just fine as a "taunt". As will Righteous Defense (you can still target the mob- if it's targeting something else, RD will fire. Otherwise it won't).

I occassionally have a hunter or lock riding threat on me in my raids. I occasionally look down at Omen and see if I need to pay more attention to threat or not. If somebody's close, then I do (and maybe they get a Hand of Salvation). If I've got a couple close to me, I can pop Avenging wrath and focus on my rotation to get my threat up.

Disclaimer #2: I can't see your armory.
Do you have Armsman on your gloves? That may be worth looking into if you don't, depending on cost and how decent the gloves you have are.

Oldan
12-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Disclaimer: I've never used Grid/Clique.

However: Hand of Reckoning will work just fine as a "taunt". As will Righteous Defense (you can still target the mob- if it's targeting something else, RD will fire. Otherwise it won't).

I occassionally have a hunter or lock riding threat on me in my raids. I occasionally look down at Omen and see if I need to pay more attention to threat or not. If somebody's close, then I do (and maybe they get a Hand of Salvation). If I've got a couple close to me, I can pop Avenging wrath and focus on my rotation to get my threat up.

Disclaimer #2: I can't see your armory.
Do you have Armsman on your gloves? That may be worth looking into if you don't, depending on cost and how decent the gloves you have are.

Yea I keep a watch on them but sometimes its very sudden but I guess I have to do a preemptive strike on their threat.

How can i target the enemy of a friendly with a macro and fire off HoR? For example with HoR I need to target the mob to taunt him off the healer but It would be faster if i can just click the friendly's frame and fire off a macro that targets the friendly's attacker and casts HoR. Is that possible?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Theendofus)

Oldan
12-30-2009, 12:01 PM
On top of all that should I try the first new ICC dungeon HoR? or is it Pit? Not sure exactly what is the med to high dungeon/raids I should start aiming for.

CatabriOnEarthen
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
On top of all that should I try the first new ICC dungeon HoR? or is it Pit? Not sure exactly what is the med to high dungeon/raids I should start aiming for.

Forge of Souls then Pit of Saron then Halls of Reflection. These 3 are tuned a bit higher, and are definitely fun. FoS and PoS aren't too difficult to tank. (Ok, I've been tanking for a bit.) But HoR is a b***h and a half. I *really* don't like that place, but the 2nd boss (Marwyn) drops an awesome tanking shield that you really should go for.

I suggest trying them on normal, with a group you TRUST, and who understands that you may not be quite on point w/ the tanking thing. When I was grasping the concept of healing, I went and did a couple with guildies and friends, who know that 1. I'm just learning/re-learning this role, and 2. We will probably all die, at least once, cuz I'm a little slow processing the healing needs. Oh, and 3. I forget that I'm the healer and am running for next pack, like an idiot. They forgive me, especially because they know that is difficult to switch mindsets. At first, I made sure that one of members brought his druid or shaman, to pick up heals if I got behind. He only had to when I died for being stupid healer, and not healing myself. These are the folks I roll with. We like to experiment and play around with alts and off-specs.

As for warlocks pulling aggro. Well, my problem is usually the DPS warrior aggro-monkey, but locks can be crit-monkeys too. Especially destro-locks. They get on a crit streak, and suddenly, their frame is red (threat) and oh, my, munched. The first time, I let pass, just RD and go on, but if it happens again, I generally ask them to please hand me back my aggro-cookie. If they persist on not watching aggro, they die a lot.

Oldan
12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
CatabriOnEarthen (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/members/catabrionearthen.html) Thank you for the advice, I do find it less stressful working with guildies, I just sometimes feel bad that everyone has to hold back just for me. My gearscore is almost 4k and the rest of my guild is pushing 6k :0) Either way they are great to put up with my lil pew pew threat and firgive me when I get a mental fart. Very insiteful advice CatabriOnEarthen (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/members/catabrionearthen.html) thank you.

Rominoodle
01-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Third is a question. Do you have problems with those pesky Locks pulling from you? Most likely its because they are targeting secondary kills and not the primary. But besides yelling at him to watch his but and putting HoS on him what else do you suggest?

Well....to be honest there is not very many tanks that don't have problems every now and then from Locks pulling off of them. Two things need to happen in this case. One...your lock needs to learn to watch the threat meter and play accordingly and two...you just need to get it back. Pallies are nice because we have two taunts to use. First, I always use hand of reckoning if a mob is pulled off of me. I am already targetting the mob so it's easy to just taunt it right back. If your taunt fails, then you have RD as well. I believe the default key in wow is "F" to switch to your target's target...so a quick switch helps. Now...if both of your taunts fail, throw a BoP up on the silly lock so he doesn't die. Chances are if he's pulling threat from you then he's a pretty decent dps and you want him alive.

Being a good tank isn't always about holding threat 100% of the time, it's about responding to situations accordingly because let's face it...stuff happens and encounters won't always be the exact same. For instance, on Marrowgar in ICC...he drops his aggro after the whirlwhind so as the tank you need to be on top of picking him back up before he wipes your healer from the initial healing aggro. Like you were saying, the best thing you can do is practice...tanking get's easier as you go.

Megatwan
01-04-2010, 07:59 AM
spec looks good (although i like DG/DS > Stocism and Guardians Favor), i mean you biggest issue is gear obviously. your probly running naxx with dps about 5 waves of gear ahead of you. tbh i wouldnt worry about it too much. just do your thing and gear up.

there are things you can do for threat like grab reckoning (/puke), or balance around expertise capped (which you already are) and work in some hit. but i wouldnt worry about it, itll come with time. ....although if you ever wanna mess around with ret, grab that libram and use it when you can, it procs 200 str all the time which is a good chuck for threat. (comparitvly i have 3500 ap 700-900 dmg and 1k spell power in t9+ gear)

again if you can hold single target threat against ppl with your lvl of gear your fine, its the douche epeen dps that need to throtle to the tank.

i use xprl for the big red frames for reactive taunts, but im sure clique has something similar. if you want to make it a bit easier to focus on that you can macro your rotation until you get comfy with your awareness etc. use this lol:

/castsequence reset=6/combat holy shield, hammer of the righteous, consecration, shield of rightousness, judgement of wisdom

(check spelling on those) spam that on the first target, keep divine plea up, pop wings on the weak stuff or if cds are down, use trinks and divine prot when you need em.

Oldan
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
That's all great advice guys. Thank you for replying. I recently got some tier 9 pieces. My reaction is getting alot faster. Been running every heroic I can and working on speed. The first 10 min of a run im watching to see who is the agro monster and tend to drop salvation on em as a preemptive strike. I also have camera at max distance now and its great. Im even getting way better at position. Things are looking up. Got the 9696 thing macro'd to two buttons and grid and clique synergy is great. I can see who is creeping on my agro and with one click i can drop salv, bop, or rd. it's great. Thanx to the tankspot comunity with the good adive. Now I just have to work on my tanking confidence and step out of heroics to some raids. Think i can run FoS? great weapon and leggings for me in there.

Taio
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I will NEVER be an advocate of putting your main rotation into macros. The number one sign of a great tank is flexibility, and using castsequence macros removes a LOT of your ability to be flexible when encounters require it (a fantastic example is Saurfang, when you NEED to skip over certain parts of your rotation depending on the Beast timers). I would suggest moving those out of macros and getting used to hitting all of them manually. Also, Hand of Reckoning won't really work with Clique the way you want it to because it's very possible for multiple attackers to be targeting a single person, and it has no way to choose which one to target. RD doesn't care because it's designed to just pick three at random, but Hand has to be specifically targeted for its effect. CatabriOnEarthen has given some great beginner tank advice, heed his words :)