PDA

View Full Version : Tanking starting, quite good geared tank has problems with aoe

rovandriel
12-20-2009, 10:20 PM
hey guys,

first post on tankspot...
have a few problems with tanking, ( normally im a arms warrior) i think i can do some tankin... dont have troubles with bosses in heroics. (depends though), and i have most of my gear by dpsing and needing if the tank didnt need, and emblems.
my main problem is getting aggro at groups!
i have tried some dungeons (nexus, uk, vh, HoS, gundrak, toc since the LFG tool released in the new patch) but i still have problems with aoe tankin..

i dont really know the attack rotation on multiple targets... i charge, devastate, cleave tab devastate, cleave some shield slam and revenge. but when i get some incoming ( like the protect bran bossfight in HoS) im having a lot of trouble!

what can i do with at this fights??
please help me! ty already

btw heres a armory link The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Rovandriel)

sorry if im in dps gear, ill try to switch to protection if i log!

Aggathon
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Copy pasta from http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide.html:

There are several things that can be done about AOE threat though. First off, make sure you are doing the normal threat things correctly, namely having a good threat build. You could also use a cleave spec build like you might find in Badga's Anub'Arak add tanking guide that you'll find in the gearing section of this guide. Really the most important thing to AoE tanking for warrios is cleave, and I highly suggest the cleave glyph. As is obviously you should always be hitting thunderclap and shockwave on cooldown, but they are often just barely good enough abilities to hold AoE threat. Now, most situations we're going to be talking about heroics or trash pulls, this is where most AoE tanking takes place. AoE tanking for Anub is a beast all on its own, and if you're wondering about AoE Threat for that, again go read Badga's guide. For heroics/trash what you want to do is tclap -> shockwave -> tclap and cleave whenever you have the rage to, I also highly suggest clicking or tabbing around the mobs with an eye on omen and shield slam/revenge/devastating any of the adds that the DPS are catching up on aggro from. I also suggest assisting DPS, especially if you have a DPS that typically pulls off of you. Make sure you keep vigilance on DPS like this also. I actually kind of like the challenge of not marking mobs and trying to hold AoE aggro on everything no matter what dps is damaging which target. However, if it becomes an issue, I would highly recommend marking a focus fire target and instructing the dps to focus on that. This way you can focus your single target threat on this NPC, and cleave/shockwave/thunderclap will give you enough AoE threat to hold the mobs off healers and give you a nice lead for the next target you are DPSing. Also, there's no shame in asking for misdirects or tricks of the trade if there are hunters and rogues around that can provide it.

-----------------------------------------------------

That's basically how you AoE tank, basically from what you said you're not thunderclaping and shockwaving enough, those are HUGE elements to AoE threat on trash. I also highly recommend you look at the spec guide in there, impale/deepwounds are crucial talents.

rovandriel
12-20-2009, 11:04 PM
ty for the quick respond!
but i have another question! what about casters?? for example; 2 melee and 2 casters how can i easily pick those 4 up?? that''s also a problem:P

Aggathon
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
What I usually do is charge in on one of the melee, and it spell reflect right off the bat, a lot of times if it's 2 casters they'll cast the same spell at the same time so the spell reflect will get both. I then tclap and cleave to pick up the melee dps, then I go over to 1 caster, and hit shield bash to silence to prevent him from casting, then charge the other caster, tclap again, get them all together, tclap, shockwave, tclap, cleaving when I can the whole time. Once I have them positioned together, it's just like tanking 4 melee except you can spam spell reflect the damage from the casters.

Edit: Alternatively you can use heroic throw to silence one of the casters and bring it into your group, I recommend doing it after you get a spell reflect off though for added threat.

rovandriel
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
ty for the advice... hope that i get more succes now with aoe tankin!!:)