PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Help for Dwarf Paladin

Valfouginn
12-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Ok frist of all im new here so be nice :).

I have a couple of questions that need i need answer for:

1. ICC10/25 i have heard the def.cap is 560 is this true?
2. I know TOTC is a def.cap of 550 but is that applied to ULD as well or is the same as NAXX with a def.cap of 540?

Ok know to the main question on my main a Dwarf Paladin on Jubie'Thos (The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei'Thos&n=Valfouginn)), i am well above the def.cap of 550 for TOTC with a base hp of 36k before buffs. Know what i want to know is refering to one of the above questions is, Can i afford to drop ~16 points in def for more stam. and block % or am i better or staying with what i have. Also i can afford to drop ~16 points how would i be best to do it.

Aggathon
12-20-2009, 03:31 AM
there is a defense minimum of 540 for any raid boss for you to be uncrittable, that is the same for every boss in any instance. This is because all enemies have a base 5% chance to crit you, and that is increased by .2% for each level the mob has on you. Every 5 defense skill gives you a .2% addition chance to not be crit. Therefore against an NPC in an heroic (which are level 82) you need to be 5.4% chance to not be crit, or 535 defense. For a level 83 mob (all raid bosses in any instance) you would therefore need a 5.6% chance to not be crit, or 540 defense.

However, if you use the 30stam/15resil shoulder enchant the resil gives you enough chance to not be crit that you would only need 536 defense against a raid boss.

Also, there is no defense cap. Since defense also adds dodge/block/parry/miss, more defense over 540 still gives you benefit.

Valfouginn
12-20-2009, 03:40 AM
so in short replace my shoulder enchantment and stack stam? but should i try to keep my def over say 550 to be safe?

Aggathon
12-20-2009, 03:46 AM
Don't worry about defense too much unless you're under the crit cap. Yes, I highly suggest the shoulder enchant. Now... while warrior's aren't exactly like paladins, gearing and gemming is very similar, so you might get some benefit out of http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide.html. It should give you a good baseline of what to aim for.

Valfouginn
12-20-2009, 03:49 AM
ok thanks i have a look at that ill take a look

Mert
12-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Sounds like somebody's getting their raidances mixed up. In Sunwell, the mobs have Sunwell Raidance which reduces your dodge chance and, critically, increases their chance to Hit which fundamentally changes the attack table around, so some people may have needed a little more Defense to cover the increase.

However, in Icecrown, Chill of the Throne only reduces your chance to dodge and has no impact on the attack table beyond that, meaning that 540 is sufficient.