PDA

View Full Version : Avatar the Movie

Bodasafa
12-19-2009, 08:43 PM
So I have not been out to the movies in a long time. Last night the wife says to me "I'm gonna shock you". Puzzled I ask, she says she wants to see the movie Avatar. Now this is shocking cause she hates WoW and is not really into fantasy type movies.

So I looked at a preview, thought sure this looks ok. PG-13 so its probably gonna be more for the kiddies right?

Wrong. This movie was quite simply AMAZING!

It felt like the Matrix mixed with Braveheart. I never really get excited about movies and I have never gone to see one twice in the theater, but I'm going back again for this one.

YouTube - Avatar: The Movie (New Extended HD Trailer) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ)

Stengel
12-22-2009, 03:29 AM
It's a fantastic movie. A bit cheesy at times, but that should be expected from a Hollywood production. After watching it, I wanted to see it again already :-)

Dalarandude
01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I saw this movie in Imax twice and I have to say I can't see a production meeting its bar for atleast 5 years. The technology used surpassed any film ever made, and the setting was actualy was not to out there when given thought. James Cameron came up with this world before his production Titanic and he has spent a decade waiting for the technology to create Pandora. He spent two years with scientists using actual creatures we find on earth and altering their appearance, vital functions (breathing wholes on some of the creatures), and size do to surplus of resources. Although I wasn't to fond of the anti-war and anti-George Bush undertones, "Be back by dinner time" "shock and awe", I believe the plot and the main message of the film are quite something. I would give this moving an A and an A+ when viewed in Imax.

Satrina
01-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Visually amazing. The whole Dances With the Last Samurai in Fern Gully bullshit plot (PAGING WHITE MAN TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS, WHITE MAN TO BLUE TRIBE) can DIAF.

Dalarandude
01-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Yea the plot I found interesting was the evolution of the life, and how the life systems on Pandora are electrochemically connected. I also like the idea of understanding the brain, and the nervous system in general to take on a project like the Avatars. The whole Native American/Global Warming/Anti-GoP Romance was something I overlooked.

Bodasafa
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Another aspect I really liked besides the visuals was the music. James Horner did a great job. While I agree with Satrina about the whole "white man save us" BS that I too didn't care for, I do believe the overall message was spot on.

Ive seen it twice now in the theaters, if I had the money I'd go for IMAX next.

Dalarandude
01-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Yea that eighth note rythm into a long tone done on what sounded kinda like a C Trumpet during scenes where everything hit the fan was realy perfect.

Dreadski
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Visually amazing. The whole Dances With the Last Samurai in Fern Gully bullshit plot (PAGING WHITE MAN TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS, WHITE MAN TO BLUE TRIBE) can DIAF.

You left out Pocahontas!

Ciderhelm
01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah it was political and shallow, but I thought that was easy enough to look past to really enjoy the movie.

Kazeyonoma
01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah it was political and shallow, but I thought that was easy enough to look past to really enjoy the movie.

Agreed.

Loved it!

HarassMe
01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
It was a fun movie.

To be honest, though, i'm more excited about the fact that Cameron said he would be working on a live-action Battle Angel Alita movie, after Avatar. :woot:

BlazeDale
02-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Yo listen up here's a story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees
Is just blue like him inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around
Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

Combine that with Pocahontas and you got Avatar.
And yes if awesomeness was a waterfall... Avatar would be Niagara Falls

BruisedOoze
02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Yo listen up here's a story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees
Is just blue like him inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around
Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

I hate you now that it's stuck in my head.

Kazeyonoma
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
7 weeks and still #1 in the box office by a lot, 35 mill this past weekend i think, this thing is breaking records on a dramatic scale.

Fastous
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm currently deployed overseas and the Avatar Cast & Crew flew out to my ship for two days for a visit, so I've had the pleasure of meeting them :)

Zo
02-04-2010, 07:48 AM
So I wasn't the only person who thought this movie was a live action Fern Gully remake !

Garrot
02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm currently deployed overseas and the Avatar Cast & Crew flew out to my ship for two days for a visit, so I've had the pleasure of meeting them :)

If Sigourney Weaver was there, whatever you do dont let that friggin' spider thingy suck your face off and hatch out of your stomach..OMG not again ...

Bodasafa
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
.OMG not again ...

Spaceballs the Movie FTW~!

Fastous
02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
If Sigourney Weaver was there, whatever you do dont let that friggin' spider thingy suck your face off and hatch out of your stomach..OMG not again ...

We actually set up a scene from Aliens in our Medical Ward, we had one of our CPR dummies covered with a blanket like he was a corpse and then had one of the aliens ripping through the sheet and sticking out, it was pretty cool. I would imagine that Sigourney Weaver was like yeahh... great... I'm here for Avatar? lol

veneretio
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Only thread I could search up on this...

Avatar/Pocahontas Mashup (http://vimeo.com/9389738) (I don't know how to embed vimeo)

Arikak
03-12-2010, 01:22 AM
How It Should Have Ended: Avatar (http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/videos)

sabrasmith11
06-19-2010, 04:37 AM
The first is the set-up of characters, with Pandora being a character itself, and it concludes with Jake being allowed into the Na'vi tribe. The second act is Jake's training and eventual acceptance, but it ends with his betrayal and the destruction of the tribe's home. This scene is haunting and full of terrible war-like imagery, although at times I was distracted by the Colonel (Stephen Lang) and thoughts of Wagner playing. These should be actual scrpit.

Martie
06-19-2010, 05:28 AM
What I really liked was that the Na'vi were obviously not native to Pandora.
I mean, think about it. On earth, all higher life forms share the same general form. Two eyes, four limbs, a tail, skull, ribs, etc.
On Pandora, it's much the same - six eyes, six limbs, two of those weird nerve-ending headtails. Except for the Na'vi. Added to the fact that Na'vi can dominate other life-forms, are telepathic with a verbal language and are completely humanoid in shape, I can only conclude that the Na'vi are a human experiment to settle Pandora.

Drew30038
07-04-2010, 10:31 AM
who knows maybe world of warcraft movie will look like this when its made.

Nicki
07-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I tried to watch it and fell asleep :\ I don't get what all the fuss is about I really didn't find the world that amazing, the characters were not really interesting at all and because i read the whole pocahontas comparison before..

Yeah I should watch the full movie and not try do it at 3 am...

For me the best part of the movie (the half of it i saw); a wheel chair guy gaining the abillity to walk again via an avatar...

Mačl
07-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm still not impressed.

It's Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas and stole a bit from Alan Dean Foster's Midworld (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midworld) which would have been awesome if executed properly.

Lotsa bling, nothing else.

District 9 had basically the same plot and made much more of it. A story doesn't change if you simply shuffle around the setting, add copious amounts of money or CGI and some "message" that's either so shallow or so obvious they could have spelled it out without wasting a couple of hours of our lives.
I fealt as cheated after I went to watch Jurassic Park for the CGI(all 9 minutes of it) and had to suffer thru Sam Neill and annoying kids and pseudoscience and not enough Laura Dern. Frankenstein meets Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World. Somebody had been off his rocker.
Made millions, too.

lalaguide
07-21-2010, 10:58 PM
me too haven't seen the movie, jus now watched trailer http://www.mtjunkie.org/avatar-2009-12-10/ , but wont we feel any difference between 3D and Bluray

Petninja
07-21-2010, 11:06 PM
I wasn't impressed by this movie at all. It started out with a bad voice over, and lousy characters, and by one hour into the movie I couldn't take listening to the word "Unobtainium" and had to shut it off. There are so many things wrong with this movie. I just can't believe people made such a big deal over it.

garrycarrick
07-29-2010, 04:54 AM
In starting the movie looked its boring but then some good animations really make the movie different . Na'vi charcter is good . overall the movie was good.....

tom12
08-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Avatar is a good movie not borring .i really like it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bowen
08-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Good film but over hyped.