PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Threat help, is it gear or technique I am missing?

Starkenberg
12-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Hello all, my warrior tank Starkenberg hit 80 a few weeks ago. After gathering some gear from ToC and getting crit capped I started running heroics. Everything thing has been going great as far as staying alive goes. My only real problem is when there is a group of 3 or more I tend to lose threat on a target.

The problem is with the new dungeon system I am being put in groups with people doing 3-4k dps and when they all attack different mobs I am finding it impossible to keep up. Here is my pull run down:

Charge, TC, line them up and SW, demoralizing shout. Shieldslam one, switch, revenge, switch, devistate, switch. After that point I do the basics, slamming on CD or when S&B procs, TCing on CD. I cleave but most of the time I don't get it in on every swing with everything going on. (Maybe there is a macro I could use to ease the use). I just keep switching targets to see where someone is catching up. But low and behold I always have one getting away from me. It hasn't led to a wipe, because most of these people can take a hit and the mob goes down very soon anyway.

I keep vigilance on the highest threat producer from what I can see. I have no problem keeping over healer threat. Single targets are on contest it is just the multiples.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&n=Starkenberg)

Oh yeah, and I know about my trink, been grinding Toc all week. My big question is, what gear should i be using badges on to improve my threat. I was thinking of grabbing the t9 gloves for the str and then putting the threat enchant on them but will it make that big of a difference? Any advice appreciate, I know where I am going with gear in general, but this threat problem is making getting badges a lot harder so I would like to nip it now.

Thanks for any advice!

Reev
12-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Threat issues in heroics are rarely gear related. Honestly, I'd just make sure to use raid marks more. Keybind your marks so they are easy to use quickly. I have skull through star keybound to F1-F8, and can mark on the fly. If you make it clear to your dps that they should follow the kill order, then you can put the majority of your threat on that first target, only switching to toss the occasional revenge or shield slam around. It sounds from your ability usage that you don't have much issue holding AoE threat off of people using AoE abilities, but your problem is more that you've got 3 dps attacking 3 different targets.

Get your dps to work with you instead of against you. Mark targets. If the dps aren't following the kill order and being a pain, let them know that if they pull X off of you before skull is dead, you aren't going to take the mob back from them. Usually that kind of warning isn't necessary, but I think you'll find multi-mob threat works a lot better when the dps aren't fighting you at the same time as the mobs.

Starkenberg
12-18-2009, 06:53 AM
I had a feeling this was the solution, as when I do use marks and the dps follow them things work out pretty well. The problem is getting them to follow the marks. I'll make sure to use them much more often. The key binding would certainly make it much less of a hassle to do quickly. Thanks for the advice!