PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Help a former Warrior understand DK Tank Mechanics

mechanism
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
So I decided to roll a Death Knight and hit 80 around two weeks ago. I pretty much leveled through quests and battlegrounds with the very rare instance grouping.

Now with the introduction of 3.3 I decided to start the emblem grind. Because of my failing at understanding DK tank mechanics, I decided to just DPS. That has went very well and have begun to hold my own in heroics and raids.

Recently, I decided to try tanking with this toon and I suppose my biggest problem is not necessarily threat in heroics but what the best way to go about AOE situations. As a warrior, I was used to relatively spammable attacks and I have noticed that DK's are not afforded this luxury due to the rune system.

Armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&n=Chestypuller)

My question is: Would Frost be a better tree for me to tank heroics in or is Blood okay? What can I do ( as either spec) to really get the mobs glued onto me? Any other advice would be appreciated as well. Keep in mind that gear is coming in so fast I may have a random gem or missing enchant here or there but I am pretty confident in my gem and enchanting decision making skills. I simply am cheap when I know gear will be replaced quite soon.

Harmacy
12-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Frost is better at AoE tanking (especially with the Howling Blast glyph), but Blood can do just fine. Try out both specs and see which playstyle you prefer.

It can be a pain to AoE tank as blood, because DnD takes up 3 runes and then it takes another 3 to apply your diseases to all the mobs - have Blood Tap at the ready for a quick Blood Boil is the best advice I can give you.

Only issue I have with your spec is that Frost Strike glyph, and you need to move some points from Subversion or something (you can dump Mark of Blood and Hysteria if need be, they're both useful but optional talents) to pick up Will of the Necropolis. It's weak compared to Ardent Defender to be sure, but is one of the few options Blood has for pure mitigation.

I only gave your gear a cursory glance but it looks pretty good, well enchanted and gemmed.

Fledern
12-17-2009, 11:48 PM
The problem with DK tanking vs warrior tanking is the lack of extreme burst aggro at the start of a fight. DnD is nowhere near as good as tclap+shockwave. Frost has the advantage of Howling Blast that'll provide similar benefits but i find it ends up being a little more squishier than blood - at least i feel that way, maybe i havent put much effort into it.

On large pulls, this is how i go in:
DnD, IT, PS, Pest, Blood tap, Blood boil. Once runes start coming off cd, a Death Strike followed by another blood tap will usually insure you have decent aggro. Of course the whole thing takes time to pull off and if you have overzealous dps that starts aggro the milisecond you target the first mob, you'll have problems. Another problem is, this puts the breaks on how fast you can chainpull due to the cooldown on blood tap. Try to keep as many deathrunes up as possible and you might shave off some time on chainpulls. If you have really overzealous dps, you might forgo the DnD & diseasing and start out with blood boil spams. Without diseases it wont do you much good but at least it'll keep the mobs off your healer if your dps is taking them down fast enough.

If you have A LOT of mobs on you (like PoS tunnel gauntlet or HoR) and they wont go down fast enough that you actually can run into the second part of your rotation, keep spamming blood boil. By the time you run into the 2nd part of your rotation, all your runes should be deathrunes which means you can pretty much spam the thing many times over. When done, have a look at your dps meters & brag :P

On 2-mob packs, DnD is a lot of runes for aggro. Here, i deathgrip one mob & IT it in midair. Depending on how much time i have before dps opens up, i might stick in a PS too before pestilancing. Once i have both mobs in front of me, i get a quick heartstrike in for aggro. After that, with decent target switching, i have no problems.

mechanism
12-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for the helpful advice I received here. I decided to give frost 2H spec a try and with the Howling Blast glyph I believe my troubles are way behind me, for now. I am once again optimistic about this toons tanking capabilites.

Almost immediately after changing to this spec, I felt that I could be a lot more aggressive and the playstyle feels alot more comfortable. Feels alot like warrior snap aggro. Anyways, thanks again for the great advice and Im sure I will be back for more knowledge.