PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Swordshattering for ICC? Parry gems?

jaydee
12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Is the rune of swordshattering worth using in ICC? On top of that, is it also worth giving up some purple slots for some parry/stam gems?

Insahnity
12-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Is the rune of swordshattering worth using in ICC? On top of that, is it also worth giving up some purple slots for some parry/stam gems?

The best part of stoneskin gargoyle runeforge is the huge health boost. The defense boost is nice, but not necessary with enough gear. Unless you are being penalized for high health (Anub'arak), I wouldn't drop the health runeforge.

never gem for parry as a DK. If you must do something other than 30 stam, go dodge/stam on red slots instead.

jaydee
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
My point in asking is with Chill of the Throne, we get a flat 20% reduction from dodge. On top of that, diminishing returns doesn't get reset with this reduction, so I'm thinking maybe boosting parry instead would work.

I'm also aware that gemming for dodge over parry (given you're good on expertise, hit and stam) is favored. But with the debuff in ICC, I would like to confirm.

I'm also sitting at 40k unbuffed right now that's why i've considered trying this.

Sterbefall
12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
No. It won't work. Chill of the Throne doesn't change the value of Parry vs Dodge.

Aethelas
12-15-2009, 11:49 PM
What Sterbefall means to say: If you want more avoidance on your gear Dodge will still (generally!) be on a less heavy diminishing return for you than parry will be. So (generally! don't make me add a disclaimer!) for most of you you'd still be better of going for dodge/stam or pure dodge gems if you want to gem for more avoidance.

Satorri
12-16-2009, 05:45 AM
The point is, Chill of the Throne will not change the priorities of dodge vs parry, at all.

The same rule applies, and for DK's that rule is the heavy amount of Parry rating we get from Strength will make it nearly impossible to get more avoidance value out of gemming for Parry than Dodge rating (unless you're using a LOT of pure dodge gems).

As for weapon runes, it doesn't change anything about that either.

SSG = 1% miss, 1% dodge, 1% parry, and +2% health (for a very well geared tank that could be about 500-700 health)

SS = 4% parry

Rune of SS will get you more pure avoidance and more threat via RS and parries. Rune of SSG will get you less avoidance, less RS procs, but will get you health (which is obviously a happy thing for tanks).

Make your own choice, one is not universally better than the other.

Pwnanapuddin
12-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Ill admit, I take a few Str gems in select slots. But then again, my guild is trying to push my threat generation to the moon.... I was pulling 26k threat per second last night when we bloodlusted on Lady Deathwhisper.

Ulosthegame
12-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Ill admit, I take a few Str gems in select slots. But then again, my guild is trying to push my threat generation to the moon.... I was pulling 26k threat per second last night when we bloodlusted on Lady Deathwhisper.

what's the point of pulling more than 10k TPS? no dps should be doing more than 8k or so. if you're specifically gearing for more you're just hurting surviability. hell, even on deathwhisper it's not worth pushing for more threat unless you just REALLY want to try it with one tank.

Airowird
12-17-2009, 05:05 AM
what's the point of pulling more than 10k TPS? no dps should be doing more than 8k or so. if you're specifically gearing for more you're just hurting surviability. hell, even on deathwhisper it's not worth pushing for more threat unless you just REALLY want to try it with one tank.
One of our hunters topped 9.6k last night on Marrowgar.

Arguably, it's a Hunter that can FD, but if all classes are on par, threat from other DPS should be at 8K TPS in these situations. Having a bit extra for when he Whirlwinds is always useful.

jere
12-17-2009, 05:49 AM
If all classes are on par, then they will be on par with DPS. TPS will be different based on the class. Out of curiosity, how was the 9.6k measured? That's pretty intense if they averaged that over the entire fight. With all the moving to avoid cold flames and the switching targets to kill bone spikes, that is pretty impressive.

Satorri
12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
And that his GIANT hit box tends to mess with minimum firing range on the poor hunters...

Airowird
12-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it was Recount, so probably took in account the spikes. Not to mention we probably had BL up (can't remember exactly)

Mostly, he just got plain lucky though, his crit rate on that fight was about 15-20% over his theoretical, which as MM adds a truckload of damage. That and the boss almost always went for the other side, so he could continue nuking.

I'll know more when my guildy puts up a log online, but even so, I can definately see some of our DPS break 8k DPS on fights like that, where tanks have a hard time gaining more threat during the Whirlwind.

jere
12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Well once the whirlwind hits, you don't really need to gain more threat during it. It resets at the end, so then they have to re-establish then, which isn't hard to do if you call a dps halt after he targets the 4th person for the whirlwind.