PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Frost from Unholy in 3.3

Anglachel_MgThl
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I know there's a lot of posts about frost tanking, but bear with me as I add yet another.
I've been an Unholy tank since forever, and I've never had trouble in heroics keeping AoE aggro. DnD IT PS pest ... BB and then I could take a nap while dps killed them. But I've heard unholy isn't any good for raiding in 3.3, and since I've recently joined a guild that raids, and finally got into ToC I decided to go Frost (I don't like blood tanking, I was traumatized very early on, don't want to talk about it...).
Single target threat went up, no question about that, but I'm having trouble in heroics on trash, after the first mob goes down the dps gets spread out and they often pull the other mobs off of me. I have the HB glyph so the rotation I'm using is DnD HB BB then I just try to keep my blood runes on cooldown, use frost strike as a runic power dump, and hit HB whenever it's up. If deathchill is up I hit that before the first HB that helps too.
Heroics have suddenly become incredibly frustrating, so any advice on my spec or rotation would be invaluable.

Also, I seem to have way less health than tanks with a similar gearscore, opinions on whether this is actually a problem and what I can do to fix it would be appreciated.

My current spec:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0ERZhgx0AbIoc0buzAo0g:adwmV0)
My gear:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug%27thol&n=Anglachel)

Insahnity
12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
I generally subscribe to the theory that "Any tree can tank just as well as the other, with the proper spec, gear, and user skill".

However, that being said, I'd ask the DK expertise like Krenian and Satorri if they would comment on the Chill of the Throne effects on DK tank's big mitigation spell, boneshield. Methinks that unholy tanks, who normally shined at holding aggro on multiple mobs, may now find their boneshield charges disappearing like hotcakes? As is, with the fewer charges for lowered CD is not making it any easier for the unholy, but they could put a tiny internal CD on bone shield charge loss.

Insahnity
12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
First off, Never, ever, (Ever!) gem for parry as a DK. very bad.

Start using epic gems

Swap ALL parry/stamina for expertise/stam or pure stam. Aim for 26 expertise.

Unless its a huge stamina bonus or it comes free with a blue slot (i.e. helm), don't get caught up with socket bonuses. At your level you are probably better off stacking pure stamina gems. You can afford to lose a bit of defense, you just need to hit 540 defense.

Single target threat went up, no question about that, but I'm having trouble in heroics on trash, after the first mob goes down the dps gets spread out and they often pull the other mobs off of me. I have the HB glyph so the rotation I'm using is DnD HB BB then I just try to keep my blood runes on cooldown, use frost strike as a runic power dump, and hit HB whenever it's up.
If deathchill is up I hit that before the first HB that helps too.
Heroics have suddenly become incredibly frustrating, so any advice on my spec or rotation would be invaluable.

Using DnD is not optimal on packs. The real question is if you intend on running a one disease rotation or two.

Instead of
Deathchill->DnD->HB ->BB

Try

Deathchill->Unbreakable Armor->HB->PS -> Pestilence->BB

or single Disease

Deathchill->HB->BB->BB->Rune ability like Frost Strike or defensive use->HB->etc.

If you still have AoE issues, then you likely have a hothead DPS blowing their load before your aoe can take hold. Either train them or have a hunter/rogue misdirect/TotT while they volley/FoK.

Also, I seem to have way less health than tanks with a similar gearscore, opinions on whether this is actually a problem and what I can do to fix it would be appreciated.

My current spec:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0ERZhgx0AbIoc0buzAo0g:adwmV0)
My gear:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug%27thol&n=Anglachel)

As for health, after getting epic gems, including all +30 stam gems, not much more you can do, really until you get gear upgrades. Try and get a stamina trinket if you want a boost on health (ulduar/toc if you can, otherwise it's 60 emblems of frost for corroded key trinket) Spec seems OK to me.

Anglachel_MgThl
12-17-2009, 12:16 AM
So I've surpassed the 26 expertise floor, and I'm working on gemming epic but I was never really a fan of questing and I don't really like professions, so my gold is limited. Anyways, I'm a little confused about whether to use Essence of Gossamer - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37220) (Essence of Gossamer) or Glyph of Indomitability - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47735) (Glyph of Indomitability). Just how much is stamina worth? I'm confused by the fact that a higher level item does not always seem to be of even comparable worth than a similar lower level item, even if both are obviously designed to be used by tanks.

I like that two disease AoE rotation you suggested, HB PS pest BB etc, it's working a lot better though the first section in H HoR continues to be sort of an aggro mess. At this point, I find myself blaming unfocused dps. Any other tips would be great, or any particular pieces of gear I should be going after (excluding the new five mans, I know there's stuff in there for me). Anything to replace those level 200 bracers would be great, but I really don't want to buy the Dalaran's Bracers of whatever from emblems because I don't like the idea of farming triumph emblems just to downgrade them. 60 emblems of frost seems so far away, but I really want that Corroded Key.

Santa, this year, I'd like some +stam in my stocking.

Is DW worth pursuing at all? I seem to remember reading that it required 30 expertise, and that you needed slow dps weapons for it to work. Is there any truth or advantage to this?

Any other tips for rotation or spec are always appreciated.