PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Willing to learn...

pope
12-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi I'm a semi fresh 80, I've been grinding a lot of heroics lately as a tank. I was shocked by how much i liked it. A friend told me this was a good place to come for information. I hope I'm posting in the right spot. If not ill be sure to do so next time. My question is besides coming here and learning what i can, where should i focus on if i want to do some of the harder content, guilds on my server dont seem to like to teach or instruct new people. I was also wondering if my gear was on track or what changes i would need to make. I understand everyones busy with there own thing, and would be grateful to any response. Thanks and have a good day.

P.S. link to wow armory of my chacter The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Galakrond&n=Pop%C3%A8)

Griff
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
It looks like you are on the right track but if you want to do harder content and be taken seriously by guilds working on said content, you need to get a few things in order.

The first thing that jumped out at me was your enchants/gems. You have you gear enchanted and gemmed but with substandard stuff - why would you bother with a blue quality gem in ilevel 245 gear?

The second thing that I noticed was your professions, which are yet to be leveled. You're leaving lots of stam on the table that would make you a viable tank in harder content.

You've got some troubles with your spec too. Most tankadins I know are reaching up into ret for the crusader talent, or at least 5/5 in seals of the pure. I'd do some research on the current state of tankadin specs and redo my talents.

Harmacy
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I would suggest reading all the Maintankadin guides, they are fantastic for starting prot pallies.

Start here (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/basic-training/maintankadin-101) or here (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/basic-training/32-faq-tankadin-basics)

dbodinem
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Ditto on professions. With JC maxed you can put in Dragon Eyes and get more bang from your gems. Likewise, Mining maxed will give you a nice stamina buff.

Missing a few enchants, namely back. You might looking into trading out the Defense enchant on shield for a titanium shield spike but don't drop below the Defense cap. As a main tank, your first priority should be staying defense capped at 540. You are at 555, which is not bad, but your hit is way below the cap. After defense cap, hit cap (263) is a priority. Being hit capped is the simplest most effective way to maintain threat. Unlike defense, after the hit cap though, don't stack any more hit because its useless.

Funny, how you ignored the +6 Stamina bonus on your shoulders yet dropped a stamina gem +24 in there. You might consider trading that gem out with an epic gem of the right color (orange or purple to get a red bonus or green or orange to get the yellow bonus) so that you can get the socket bonus and probably acheive the same result of +18 stamina (or close to it) or some other valuable stat (namely hit).

This site and maintankadin is a great resource so use it.

pope
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your time and the info, I'll be sure to work on the things you mentioned.