PDA

View Full Version : Tanking EH Question

NeuroticOne
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
There are many posts on this forum about EH and whether or not a specific tank has high enough EH to tank a particular Raid/Encounter. My question is, does EH actually provide you with a specific number or is it more of an estimate based on the tank's stats? If it is a specific number then (1) how is it calculated? and (2) are there hard-and-fast rules saying EH >= X to tank Boss Y? Or is it different from class to class/player to player?

Jameak
12-14-2009, 07:54 PM
EH is generally considered to be the amount of raw unmitigated damage a player can take before dying, and its calculated based on a combination of health and total mitigation (armour, block, dodge, parry, miss etc.)

To illustrate this concept, if your EH is 180,000 and the boss hits for 50,000 before mitigation, it means you can survive just under 4 hits without healing before your dead.

If your after a quick and easy way to find out your EH, grab the TankPoints addon, it will do the calculations for you.

As far as what boss requires what EH, I can honestly say I have never come across nor cared for these statistics to determine what I can and can not tank, and have never had a problem. In practice however, if you know your EH and what the boss melees' for un-mitigated, you can safely assume if your able to tank it or not. I would work on the basis of at least 2-3 hits in a row with no healing to give some room for error.

krc
12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
In the tabs at the top of the page it says calculator, there you can get an exact calculation of your EH. There's no real specific number for certain bosses wether you can tank them or not but usually you can find out from what the tank is dying from if they need more EH.

uglybbtoo
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
EH is generally considered to be the amount of raw unmitigated damage a player can take before dying, and its calculated based on a combination of health and total mitigation (armour, block, dodge, parry, miss etc.)

Incorrect EH is is just HP and armour avoidance is completely out of the equation.

It is how much damage you can take without a single heal because armour is always there and reduces a hit damage it is involved in the calculation.

Jameak
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Incorrect EH is is just HP and armour avoidance is completely out of the equation.

Yes. I stand corrected.

NeuroticOne
12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Excellent thank you all.