PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Gearing advice for ICC10

Steev
12-14-2009, 08:58 AM
My Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sen%27jin&cn=Steev)

Our attempts at ICC 10 (Marrowgar) : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/qmraz7296sofq9er/

I'm a Frost DW tank - I have at my disposal for tanking, a Rimefang Claw, or if I went 2h, I have Earthshaper and Abbadon available. For trinkets, I have Bubbling Brightbrew Charm, Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman, Furnace Stone, and The General's Heart.

I'm more than willing to regem, currently going with the "stack as much stam as you possibly can" gemming method. I'm also willing to switch to Blood (or Unholy) for tanking in ICC 10.

I was in there Saturday night, and the trash was fine, there were negligible issues, but once we got to Marrowgar... as soon as any of the 3 healers would get spiked, myself or the other DK tank would go down immediately. Are we just not built to tank in there? Another DK in our guild who is just as geared as me, perhaps better, had the same issues Sunday night, and they ended up bringing in someone's warrior tank alt in order to get past him. With the 20% dodge nerf in there, when running the avoidance macro, I'm at just shy of 50% avoidance. Should I say forget the stack as much stam as possible and re-gem for dodge/parry?

I'm currently having issues getting the armory to update to my tanking set, so if it doesn't show up with the correct gearset on:

Helm: Thassarian's Faceguard of Conquest - 37 stam/20 Def. Rating, Nightmare Tear, Austere Earthsiege Diamond
Neck: Titanstone Pendant
Shoulders: Shoulderplates of Enduring Order (Inscription Tanking enchant)
Back: Cloak of the Makers - 225 armor enchant
Chest: Thassarian's Chestguard of Conquest - 275 health, 2x30 stam gems
Wrist: Bracers of the Shield Maiden - 40 stam
Hands: Thassarian's Handguards of Conquest - Armsman, 30 stam gem
Belt: Girdle of Bloodied Scars - 2x30 stam
Legs: Legguards of Feverish Dedication - 55 stam/22 agi, 2x30 stam gems
Feet: Dawnbreaker Greaves - 15 stam/minor run speed, 30 stam gem
Rings: Runed Ring of Binding, Platinum Band of the Aesir
Trinkets: Bitter Balebrew Charm, Glyph of Indomitability
Weapons: Titanguard x2 - Nerubian Carapace
Sigil: Sigil of Deflection

I do apologize that everything isn't a link, I'm not sure entirely how it works on this site (but if its just a matter of linking to the wowhead url for each item, I'm more than willing to edit the post) (edited to add in a world of logs link of me getting rocked, repeatedly ;) )

krc
12-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Well for Marrowgar, even though you are gemmed and geared correctly your EH is a tad low. What it looks like from this log, is that you didn't have the overall EH to survive consecutive hits from Marrowgar. Just continue to stack EH to give your healers a bigger buffer, if you go avoidance at your health level you will rely on RNG too much and eventually you will get hit consecutively and die.

Steev
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
The only way to get my EH higher is to go with the second brewfest trinket, which is fine, I'm okay with that - I also plan on dropping skinning and picking up jewel crafting to eek out a tiny bit more stamina - it just makes me sad to think that the only way to get enough health for one boss is to switch to a blood spec

hbombs
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
you wouldn't want to replace your badge trinket for the brewfest trinket. in all honesty.. if switching specs will give you an edge and help you tank a boss.. you should thank your lucky stars. A warrior couldn't do that (re spec and gain a huge amount of HP). respeccing is a better alternative to just not having good enough gear.

Steev
12-14-2009, 02:03 PM
What do you consider "good enough gear" - if you look, you will notice that the vast majority of my tanking set is from 25 man TOC - I'd like to know why that isn't enough for doing the *10* man ICC - my understanding of the raid progression was Nax(x)->Uld(x)->Totc(x)->ICC(x), not Nax(x)->Uld(x)->Totc(10)->ToGC(10)->Totc(25)->ToGC(25)->ICC10

Our other group had a druid and a dk tank, and they ended up having the enhancement shaman step out, switch to his Warrior tank alt, with the dk switching to dps, just to get past Marrowgar.

I'm trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong personally, since it seems like there are only 2 kinds of posts with regard to tanking Marrowgar, its either "zzzzzzzz" or "omg he owns my face every time" - there doesn't seem to be any kind of middle ground.

copeandtank
12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Seems like a good place for this post. I have a few DK tank questions. I am a frost DW tank. Off spec is Frost tank one handers. First am I ready for ICC 10 mans? Secondly I feel my HP are low. In frost presence I have about 32k HP. If I gem for stam I will not be at the hit / soft expertise cap. I am not sure how far off I would be because I have never gemmed for stam only. If I respec to blood (which I have tried) I gain 1-2k HP. Any advice you can offer would be great. Thanks in advance. WoW Armory link. --- The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Greymane&n=Manace)

krc
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
@ Steev: The gear progression cycle is more like the second one you listed not the first one.

And to the other post, you should make your own thread for this but your EH is low, no point going for expertise and hit change enchants and gems to all gems stamina unless the socket bonus is 9 or higher, 225 armor to cloak and 18 stamina to gloves.