PDA

View Full Version : Advertisments on TANKSPOT

golsonkp
12-13-2009, 10:56 PM
How annoying is this advertisement floating in the middle of every page on tank spot. As you slip your mouse over it, it eats your screen. Not even "Remove Advertisements" can remove its terror. I know tank spot needs their ways for funds, but this is just unbearable. It enlarges it self randomly too. I need some kind of ad block, cause I'm about to go to an insane asylum!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

<3 tankspot though

Bragoon
12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Donate.

Krenian
12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
What he said.

golsonkp
12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
It would be stupid to get rid of an advertisement over donations, unless its directly towards removing them. I'm not saying to get rid of them. I just can't stand them, I need some kind of ad remover. I can't focus with it engulfing myscreen ever 10 seconds

Penlowe
12-14-2009, 07:12 AM
None of the ads should cover content, ever. Nor should they be un-reduce-able. Hit the "contact us" button if you run into one like that and tell us exactly what ad it is. With the new News Page up there shouldn't be any more of these.

And yes, donating does make them all go away, as well as getting you HD videos, early peeks at new site stuff and the fun chatter that is the Donor Forums. ;)

Volador
12-14-2009, 07:13 AM
what she said!

Squeegiemama
12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I feel your pain, however the "Donors" are not very tolerant of non-donors complaining. So expect a lot of the standard "Donate" lines, which is fine I suppose. However, most lack the understanding why others may not be able to donate.

Please do report the annoying adds, I think the Halo one, which thankfully appears to be out of rotation, was one of the most annoying.

I've trained myself to move the mouse in a certain way to avoid the enlarging adds. :D

Welcome to TankSpot!

Penlowe
12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I disagree, both on the comment about lack of tolerance and lack of understanding. Times are tough, it's the holidays, end of semester, end of fiscal year- we get it. We know there are those who would like to donate but can't and plenty who could care less either way.

Complaints are important, it's feedback from the community at large. Granted, some complaints are worded poorly and some are just silly, but we do pay attention to all of them and track what issues are real for the site and the community. Advertising is a way if life, it pays the bills, but at the same time we don't want them getting out of control.

One of Ciderhelms adamant sticking points about donors is that the perks one gets for it are just that, sideline perks. All the game related information, which is the whole point of the site, is free and will remain so.

golsonkp
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't know if its just me, but what kind of ad randomly pops up on the screen and scrolls your web browser up so it can take up my low resolution screen. Covering content or not, It's pretty annoying.

Satrina
12-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know if its just me, but what kind of ad randomly pops up on the screen and scrolls your web browser up so it can take up my low resolution screen. Covering content or not, It's pretty annoying.

I don't know what kind of ad it is, and none of the admin staff will ever know unless you say "the ad for X did this"* rather than complaining generally.

* And ideally what browser you're running, its version, your screen resolution, and other relevant details of the sort.

Fetzie
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Randomly appearing adds can also point towards a possible adware on your computer, have you run a virus check with ad-aware/spybot lately?

bludwork
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Since it's here in the offtopic forum...

I always found this issue a bit perplexing. It's akin to building a really nice house and inviting everyone over to see it, but to pay for it's up keep you need to advertise. So far so good.. then one day the shit company tells you, i'll pay you 2x to plaster shit over all your house. So your users come over and tell you man your house stinks and your response is.. "donate money".

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but when the ads are BLOCKING the very content you so proudly created and put up, something is wrong. Maybe integrate ads into the site in a way that doesn't trample over the sites contents, more people will come and more will donate. Converting new users -> donators doesn't seem to work if all new users see is ads blocking whatever is supposed to entice em.

again offtopic forum.

Ciderhelm
12-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but when the ads are BLOCKING the very content you so proudly created and put up, something is wrong.
You're absolutely right, but we consistently stand by the exact same statement (which has been said in this thread):

None of the ads should cover content, ever. Nor should they be un-reduce-able. Hit the "contact us" button if you run into one like that and tell us exactly what ad it is.

If you see these ads we absolutely need details. We can't just know that there's an ad out there causing problems, we need to know what that ad is and what it is doing and what your own browser/location/etc., is.

In all honesty, though, this shouldn't be an issue at all very quickly.

Inaara
12-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Donating was the best decision I've ever made.... well short of inventing sliced bread.

Nez
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Ive had some odd add issues, when not signed in, while using chrome in a non Maximized condition. If it happens again I will post it.
From the first 2 responses, it makes it sound like the adds are there to force you to donate.. lol Which I know they are not.

Ciderhelm
12-21-2009, 06:24 PM
As of now there should be zero off-site ads running on TankSpot. If you see any, let me know so I can find and remove it.

Samshel
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I still don't get what this "adds" blocking all the screen are they talking about, I've been around here all this year (Would donate if I could :P ) and never had problems with that kind of adds.

Anyway like they said, either donate, or just say which specific ad is failing for you.