PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight need help DW frost tank

gsp
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
here is my armory link The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Caelestrasz&n=gspdk)

ok so i made a DW frost tank after the new patch i was 2 hand blood tank before and didnt have alot of troubles with keeping aggro/threat now with this new spec i have a hard time with mobs and some with MT is my spec wrong or gaer any help would be great thanks

makkaveli
12-14-2009, 04:50 AM
out of interest what made u change?

gabbu
12-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Although there are tons and tons of way to spec a DK, I will link what I use.

Majority of you threat issues are coming from your spec, low hit and low expertise. Also some of the glyphs I used will help with threat as well. Also macro rune strike to all you abilities to add extra threat.

Here is the spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EoZhxe0NbI0c0fuzAo0x:TksMmV)

With Glyph of hwoling blast you automatically put diseases on all your targets and I have found it worked great for me. For bosses just add the 2nd disease for extra threat.

My DK is also speced DW frost and I seem to do fine. Here is his armory in case you want to see. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Necromongor)

I hope this helps.

Hatchetman240
12-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Gabbu, with all the magic damage I've wondered why more folks don't spec acclimation.

How do you chew through enough RP to need Scent of Blood?

Theotherone
12-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I just speced DW Frost after the patch and I love it. My hit and expertise are around where yours are, but only threat issue I had was when I changed my glove enchant from Armsman to Expertise - I changed back and it's been fine.

I strongly recommend Morbidity for the short cool down on DnD, at least until expertise moves up a bit.

My armory The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&n=Theotherone)

I have several weapons the best of which are Aledar's Battlestar, The Ghoulslicer and the ones I have equipped in my armory. I change around a bit. What's nice about the DW is it opens a whole new universe of weapons - and it looks cool too.

gabbu
12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Gabbu, with all the magic damage I've wondered why more folks don't spec acclimation.

30% chance + proc, not really reliable as tank TBH

How do you chew through enough RP to need Scent of Blood?I use Frost Strike as soon as I am at 100 RP, but scent of blood is mostly for those movements where I need threat on something and all my runes are on CD, I just tab and hit FS, I think I am too used to tanking on my warrior and maybe DK mains handle this situation differently lol

Also I have personally stopped using DnD or Plague Strike, but you need to know that this DK is my alt tank and i do ZERO raids on this guy. All my spec gear, gemming choices are soley based on aoe madness of churning heroics :). If I were a MT for a raid, there are few things I would definitely change.

Harmacy
12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Here is the spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EoZhxe0NbI0c0fuzAo0x:TksMmV)

Hungering Cold is pretty useless in PvE, use that point to fill out Killing Machine (KM procs are one of the most important parts of Frost tanking). Other than that, spec is good.

How do you chew through enough RP to need Scent of Blood?

Acclimation is good for gimmick fights like Hodir and Koralon (I have no clue if it procs on Anub or not), but the rest of the time the proc chance is too low to be useful. I would skip it unless you keep a seperate spec for those few fights.

Scent of Blood is not required by any means, but it's nice to have to help with never missing a Rune Strike and to get out the occasional Frost Strike too (usually on your KM procs).

EdgeCamo
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
This is my spec: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&n=Edgecamo&group=1)

This is more for raiding however, but I would recommend getting Annihilation. Obliterate is amazing for single target threat and if Howling Blast is on CD is has a chance to reset the CD, so it's good for both single target and multi target.

Selene
12-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm noticing alot of Low Hit Rating for DW DKs especially tanks.
I know Rogues need about 14% just for their poisons. So how much Hit Rating do DW DKs need, especially Tanks? Been toying with the ideal of going back to doing DW, but it just seemed "subpar" to me back in 3.2 since it seemed I was always missing on target dummies, and that was with about 10% Hit Rating.

Harmacy
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm noticing alot of Low Hit Rating for DW DKs especially tanks.
I know Rogues need about 14% just for their poisons. So how much Hit Rating do DW DKs need, especially Tanks? Been toying with the ideal of going back to doing DW, but it just seemed "subpar" to me back in 3.2 since it seemed I was always missing on target dummies, and that was with about 10% Hit Rating.

Your melee special abilities still cap at 8%. Only your autoattacks require a much higher amount of hit, and since auto-attacks constitute such a small portion of our total damage and threat, it's not worth really aiming for. Hit over 8% is still useful, but not important.

gsp
12-15-2009, 01:43 AM
out of interest what made u change?
ij ust changed after the patch to try it out and see how it works.
thanksfor all of the feed back guys i will look into all of the feedbackand try to work it out

Selene
12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Your melee special abilities still cap at 8%. Only your autoattacks require a much higher amount of hit, and since auto-attacks constitute such a small portion of our total damage and threat, it's not worth really aiming for. Hit over 8% is still useful, but not important.

Thanks!

gabbu
12-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Hungering Cold is pretty useless in PvE, use that point to fill out Killing Machine (KM procs are one of the most important parts of Frost tanking). Other than that, spec is good.

I did not recommend hungering cold, AFAIK there are 2 spare points in this spec.

I wonder if you were actually looking at my DK's armory, just to clarify, I practically do ZERO raids on my DK and my spec is something I need for heroics basically.

Hatchetman240
12-28-2009, 07:06 AM
A couple of observations here:

My build is here:
WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Thrall&name=sodage)

1) I really had a hard time making the switch to frost because I was trying to convert to using HB and not D&D. I was able to tank fine in heroics but once you I had some real raid level DPS behind me I was unable to hold threat. I fixed this by glyphing D&D/HB/RS and speccing into the spec I linked. Using D&D in my rotation produced such massive amounts of threat (7k+ easily) that I didn't have any further problems.

2) There is no single target rotation for me. I incorrectly assumed I could HB-BS-OB-BS/OB-BS-OB-BS my way through a single target rotation (slapping HB to check for procs along the way) and easily beat out those pesky single target threat machines like warriors. It doesn't work. If you have people who are not threat aware they will squeek by the single target rotation I listed with my glyphs. I'm not saying I get destroyed, they just barely slip by me and stay a tad above me.

After two fights like this with one warrior I decided to try my AOE rotation and that fixed everything. The moral of the story here is that I am glyphed for AOE and thus I need to be using AOE. It's the rune strikes that really make the difference.

3) I don't get a warm fuzzy from this spec in raids. Sometimes you don't want an AOE rotation (saurfang) and yet you have to keep aggro off a focused DPS. I think the moral of the story here is that I need to carry some replacement glyphs. I would likely swap to OB/RS/FS or something to that effect and hope it's enough.

Felycitas
12-28-2009, 06:42 PM
From my initial experience... dual wield tanking is consistent (4k threat with fast tank weapons / 6k threat with slow DPS weapons).. but not easily spikeable unless you get lucky with a bunch of rime procs.

However.. while my 2 handed tanking was not consistent (2k / 4k / 6k depending on what I was doing).. I could put down a D&D and hammer out some Obliterates and jump it to 8k+.

That's the issue I'm having.. and it's pretty annoying what with all the uber geared DPS these days.

My first heroic in the new spec involved an elemental shaman and warrior doing 6k threat each, yikes!