PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Do I have this right?

NeuroticOne
12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a level 80 Paladin tank (Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Varaconn)) alt and I'm looking to get a better understanding of gearing. I've only done heroics for the most part and was carried through some of Ulduar on occasion.

I've been trying to pull together what I can from various threads and I wanted to try to summarize it down to see if I have the basic idea. I know the first priority is always to be Uncrittable/Defense "capped" but I get confused as to what comes next.

Should I be aiming for a certain level of avoidance and then gearing for EH through Stam/Mitigation (Mitigation=Block/Armour?) or do you primarily gear for EH and just take what comes your way when it comes to Dodge and Parry? I know there are lengthy discussions on fights where Avoidance is more useful than EH and vice-versa, I'm just wondering for general rule of thumb. Right now I don't have the gear options to maintain different sets as this toon is just my alt so he doesn't see alot of action although I am looking to change that.

Also, how much of a priority are Hit/Expertise? I think with my current gear I'm low on both (haven't been on that character in some time).

I appreciate any help, there's just a ton of really in depth discussions going on in here and some of it is over my head so a boiled down version would be helpful!

Harmacy
12-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Getting to the defense minimum is your first priority.
Getting enough threat stats to get and hold threat is your second priority.
Stacking as much stamina and armor as you can is your third priority.

Obviously there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, situations where avoidance and block will do you a lot of good - however as a general rule, Stamina > Avoidance, because stam does not rely on RNG. You need the ability to take several big hits in a row, in case your healer is stunned or spell-locked or has to move out of the fire or is just plain slow.

Tankadins can make do with very low levels on hit and expertise because of class mechanics. Do you have threat problems for the content you're doing? If the answer is "no", then you have plenty of hit and expertise.

Your gear needs enchants. Get some cheap ones for the time being, no need to go full-out on gear you will replace soon (the weapon chain on your weapon is a great example of a cheap but effective enchant, another would be the 45 stam 15 agi leg patch, instead of 55 stam 22 agi). You would also gain a ton of defense from the helm and chest enchants, which would give you some breathing room and allow you to gem less defense.

You need to take 3 points out of Conviction and put them into Crusade. 1% damage is better than 1% crit because it's more reliable, and then figure that many heroic mobs, and most mobs and bosses in Naxx, ToC/ToGC, and presumably ICC (not that you'll be raiding ICC soon on this toon, but just for reference) meet the criteria for the full 6% damage, well... Crusade is a fantastic threat talent.

Your block trinket is nice for heroics or add tanking, but I would shelf it as part of your MT or regular raiding set. Do you have the brewfest trinkets? If not, go get the Essence of Gossamer or something.

NeuroticOne
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Excellent, thank you.

For the head/shoulder enchants they made it so they can be traded right? I don't have alot of rep on this toon which is part of the reason why those are conspicuously absent.

Harmacy
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Excellent, thank you.

For the head/shoulder enchants they made it so they can be traded right? I don't have alot of rep on this toon which is part of the reason why those are conspicuously absent.

Yes, all the level 80 helm/shoulder enchants are now bind on account. If your main is exalted with Hodir and/or Argent Crusade, you don't need to farm that rep on your alt.