PDA

View Full Version : Tanking futures prot pally needs help

fook
12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
So I'm planing about to become a prot pally. I've checked alot of other prot pally armorys and saw that they go for dodge instead of block or parry. why? :o

Martie
12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Well, the thing is, they shouldn't be doing that.

If you want to gem or enchant for avoidance, Dodge is best, next defense, then parry.

Block is split in two - block rating and block value. You shouldn't really need either as a paladin. Unless you are raiding Icecrown Citadel, block rating is useless, and most things past the Coliseum hit hard enough for block value to not really be worth it.

Now, I can give you a general idea on what to gem and enchant for. It'll serve you well in 5mans and most raid fights.
Enchant for stamina if there is a stamina option. Unless the difference between stamina and your other option is huge, stamina is good. Armor is a close second to stamina.

For gemming, only deviate from stamina gems if there is a good socket bonus to be had with a single nonblue gem. For those gems, drop in a hit/defense/agility/dodge plus stamina gem. Which of the four you pick isn't overly important.

For gearing, just get every upgrade you see. There shouldn't be a ton of options available, and in general, higher ilevel=better item.

uglybbtoo
12-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Disagree with Martie to some extent its a depends thing.

If they are stacking dodge because they are tanking heroics thats perfectly fine because wearing high EH (Stam and armour set) just means alot of sitting around drinking. Why because BOSANC (blessing of sanctuary) returns mana from avoidance high armour will mean small healing which means little mana.

So when you are looking at a tanks also be aware depending on what they are tanking they may load diff stats and most tanks have more than 1 set of gear.

I carry 3 sets of gear

1.) EH set like Martie describes a set stuffed with stam gem everywhere ignoring socket colour unless socket bonus is stam.
2.) A high dodge and block set used for heroics and soloing stuff
3.) A DPS/TANK set including DPS weapon for dragging groups thru places they shouldn't be. Essentially I am a tank but providing a dps boost to group.