PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Frost DK advice.

Nabooru
12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey, new poster here.

I'll admit I have little experience with DK tanking, but I really dig the frost tree. Maybe its the DW aspect or maybe it just feels like the best tree to tank in. But when I'm tanking I feel all around Squishy. I'm not crushable or anything. Maybe Frost just isn't the right tree for me? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my armory

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Rutela)

Thanks

Harmacy
12-12-2009, 07:01 PM
You're using fast tank weapons. You should be using slow DPS weapons, although that won't help your survivability it will give you a ton of threat. At the very least, use a slow DPS main hand and a fast tank offhand.

Your spec hits all the important talents, but Acclimation is kinda useless except for a few gimmick fights. I'd ditch it, and use the remaining points in Chill of the Grave and the last point in either Scent of Blood or Epidemic.

You're using the wrong JC trinket. Get the crab instead of the bunny - 300 dodge is much more important. Much, much more important.

Your gear is half-enchanted. Enchant it all and you'll gain a lot of stamina and a little bit of avoidance.

I'm guessing by your gear that you used to play this toon a bit back in 3.1 or 3.0, then ditched it for a while and recently came back to it. Well, this means that you're fairly undergeared for the new heroics (not horribly so), and that combined with DK tank mechanics (lack of block mechanism can definitely hurt when tanking heroics, thankfully DK's are just as viable for endgame tanking as anyone else though) are making you squishier than other tanks.

I have no advice besides enchant your gear, pop your cooldowns, and keep gearing up. Things will get easier with more emblem gear.

Nabooru
12-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Well, while threat hasn't ~Generally~ been an issue. I understand, I have some DPS weapons with slower speed, but honestly I don't feel comfortable loosing the mitigation. But that's not to say I won't give it a shot.

The Jewelcrafting trinket is actually just a gear mistake on my part, had both at one point before The Black Heart dropped and replaced the wrong one.

The enchants on my server are...well...expensive to say the least, but that's not to say it's being shrugged off.

Your actually spot on, I played this DK back in 3.0 and a bit in 3.1 and found it pretty impossible to gear up with the huge amount of DKs that were around, so I gave it up in favor of another character, and recently picked it back up in 3.3

I do greatly appreciate the advice though.

Thank you

Harmacy
12-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Just remember - agility is a nice defensive stat in and of itself. You do lose a bit of avoidance and stamina by switching to DPS weapons, but you gain a massive amount of threat.

Nabooru
12-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Alright, well. I have slower DPS weapons no problem (Been..pretty damn lucky). I have two of the Black Icicles (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50303) and one Nighttime. (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50191)

I'll use one of each and see where that gets me. I'll have to shuffle gems around to get Def capped again.

EDIT: You know...or get my chest enchanted with Defense. Hah.