PDA

View Full Version : Tanking I can tank a paladin just fine....but not a warrior....

Goatboy
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm fairly new to tanking, I've been healing previously.....

So I started a Paladin tank and managed to gear her up mainly through instances....I've become pretty proficient at the lower level instances up to ToC now- tanking with no real problems...

I heard that warrior tanks were much better so I levelled up a warrior to 80, spent all the cash I had to gear him up and ended up with him geared better than my Pally...

However, I'm wiping constantly with him. I can't seem to hold group aggro and keep losing mobs like mad. I wiped twice at the front gates to heroic UK- an instance I hadn't been killed in for months.

My computer is a bit slow with a small screen so repeated taunting can be a chore.

The only instance I've actually managed to successfully tank with my warrior was heroic VH. I tanked a few non-heroic instances but still feel like I'm barely hanging on despite being higher level and better geared than the rest of the party.

Any hints?

I've been opening with heroic throw or shield slam then keeping up a shield slam, revenge, devastate, devastate with a thunderclap and heroic strike thrown in for good measure.

Swam
12-12-2009, 01:01 PM
<3 Cleave
Charge is also a great opener, tclap, s slam, revenge procs, shockwave, dev,dev,dev etc.
I never really had to mass taunt. As a warrior tank I found that marking was needed more than other tank classes. This gave me all the leeway I needed when dealing with packs, just make sure your dps know your kill order.

PvtCaboose
12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Tanking with a warrior is so much more fun than a pally imo. There are so many more things I have to look out for when tanking. But for AoE I usually start off by marking a skull (most classes with aoe will ignore this but melee do a pretty good job of watching it) with:

Charge -> Thunder Clap - Back Peddle -> Shockwave -> Shield Slam skull -> Revenge "X" -> Cleave and by this time Thunderclap will be up again. Make sure though to keep up demo shout ifyou are having problems staying alive. When you get more comfortatble you can stop marking and just go to town with your warrior.

araisbeck
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Make sure Thunder Clap is always on cooldown, and Cleave when you're above 50 rage. Other than that, just tab target and use SS/Rev/Dev. You shouldn't have any problems.

Warwench
12-12-2009, 06:20 PM
if it was me (and it soon will be, Pally is 70) i'd stick with the Pally and leave the in built "hardmode" to people who enjoy that kind of sadistic stuff.

my biggest frustration with the warrior lately is everything is a GCD, a number of Paladin abilities that do the same (or similar) things are secondary effects of other abilities, or happen in much easier ways than their Warrior counterparts.

It's like comparing an auto car to a manual. Manual is more fun for some people, but others like to have an auto and relax and enjoy the drive.

Love both toons, tanking heavily on 5 mans with the Warrior right now but after tanking the new instances on the PTR with the Pally, and doing them on live with my Warrior, no way there should be that much "quality of life" diff between 2 classes doing the same things.

Goatboy
12-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I guess my next question would be about which stance you are using. I've heard a couple of people mention using charge as an opener...so are you using battle stance and switching to defensive? Or just keeping in Battle stance after the charge?

Sagern
12-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I guess my next question would be about which stance you are using. I've heard a couple of people mention using charge as an opener...so are you using battle stance and switching to defensive? Or just keeping in Battle stance after the charge?

Warbringer talent is your friend

jafager
12-12-2009, 08:18 PM
No way there should be that much "quality of life" diff between 2 classes doing the same things.

See, I disagree, and for much the same reason as your auto-versus-manual metaphor. I'm sure that tanking relatively static packs of mobs is less work as a paladin, but I'd hate to have to give up all that mobility, the omnidirectional snap aggro of Thunder Clap, stuns, Disarm, etc.

I've heard people suggest that Halls of Reflection would be easier as a paladin, and I just don't understand how, unless you really think that all there is to tanking is "collect mobs, stand in one place, spam threat, profit".

Muffin Man
12-12-2009, 08:42 PM
A few things pallies can't do on HoR that warriors scan: disarm the rifleman and SR the mage, boh of which are very helpful for rounding guys up.

I've gone through HoR as a tank and as dps, it didn't seem any easier for the pally tank to round things up than it was for me.

DK's however might legitimately have the easiest time with strangulate and deathgrip and death and decay for rounding dudes up. But I imagine that place is just *hard* for everyone.

Dhalphir
12-12-2009, 10:28 PM
you don't need interrupts to round up those adds in HoR.

just stand in the alcove. goddamn kids these days don't know bout LoS.

also, the automatic car vs manual car analogy is actually pretty much a perfect analogy for describing paladin tanks vs warrior tanks playstyle.

Aggathon
12-12-2009, 10:43 PM
It's like comparing an auto car to a manual. Manual is more fun for some people, but others like to have an auto and relax and enjoy the drive.

Okay, that is sooo my metaphor, you'll be hearing from my lawyer about violation of copywrite laws =P

Proof:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/57349-guild-warrior-tank-dead-during-25totgc-2.html
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/57621-how-does-warrior-stand-against-paladin-how-can-i-survive-more.html

Edit: the links are because these are 2 threads with very similar conversations and are worth the read since this is really the same "pallys are so much better than warriors, buff warriors plox" argument.

Khochal
12-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Well a tip for warrior tanks that I got to know after some experimentations ... before charging you can set cleave so when ever charge lands cleave is automatically executed ....
This is very help full in warrior tanking ! :)