PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Threat Issues; Prot Pally

Daylar
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Hello all,

I was doing fine before 3.2 but now with 3.3 I'm having some major difficulty holding agro and I'm not sure if it's me or if it's the dps getting over anxious to get mobs killed or if i'm just out geared... But it's getting very frustrating now esp. since i'm losing agro almost instantly.

BE, Paladin, Prot spec

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hydraxis&n=Daylar)

My main is a Hunter so my pally doesn't get alot of exposure but over the past week I've given him alot of upgrades. Almost all but 4 pieces have an item level of 200. 2 at 175, 1 at 213, and 1 at 245.

Defense Rating: 542
Parry/Dodge/Block: 54.54% [[Changed to 53.91%, flipped some Parry Gems to Hit, hit rating was 0.87%, bumped to 2.68%]]
Expertise: 33

So to my knowledge, I'm above cap just slightly and I saw somewhere else my expertise should be over 26 which it is. Target for Parry/Dodge/Block was 102% combined total I was informed.

But none of that helps my agro at all... I have my gloves enchanted with the +2% threat enchant, Righteous Fury is up at all times, following the 9/6/9/6/9 rotation (for me all my 9 second casts are 8, so it's 8/6/8/6/8 for some reason) and I use my wings on bosses.

Is there a buff I'm missing? Should I be concentrating on another stat by chance?

I've only been tanking Heroics thus far, with whats been going on I don't even want to consider raids yet.

Help. :(

jere
12-11-2009, 08:16 PM
without a combat log parse, there isn't a whole lot we can help with.

You aren't glyphing SoV, so that is a decent threat loss (you should also be glyphing Divine Plea, but that is a survivability thing).

Harmacy
12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
As a fresh 80, you're going to lose aggro to overgeared and overeager DPS in heroics quite a bit. Unfortunately there's little you can say or do to convince them to stop, so expect to lose aggro until you get yourself geared. That being said, there is quite a bit you can do right now to improve your aggro.

You need to respec and reglyph. You're 80 now, and level 80 tankadins don't have to worry about mana. Put up Divine Plea and you're good to go, you may have to drink for a few seconds in between pulls but water is cheap.

This (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdtsMobc:pGNcm) is the spec I recommend. Speccing into Crusade will give you a lot of threat, considering most of the mobs and bosses in heroics (and Naxx... and ToC... and presumably ICC if you get there) meet the criteria for the full 6%. Also note the glyphs - Divine Plea gives you 3% reduced damage, and SoV gives you 10 expertise which is a huge amount of threat. The third glyph slot is optional, but I think HotR is the best option for heroics - a 4 target cleave really helps for AoE tanking.

I would switch metas to the 32 stamina and 2% armor one (Austere Earthsiege Diamond I believe), and then switch chest enchants to +22 defense to compensate. This will net you a lot of survivability. Also, stop gemming parry - my suggestion is to gem defense until you're at or slightly above 540, and then stack stamina. Even for heroics, stamina is usually your best bet. For purple gems, use agility or dodge, not parry.

102.4% (unhittable) is nice for heroics and early raids, but not absolutely required. It's not an important goal for endgame raiding - if you can reach it, awesome, if not don't worry about it. I would replace your block trinket with the JC crafted trinket - this will possibly put you under the unhittable mark, but you will gain a lot of stamina and a nice dodge cooldown (pop it right as you run into a group of mobs).

But yeah, that's about it for threat suggestions. Glyph SoV and change your spec, and watch your threat go up. Unfortunately it won't always be enough, especially with all the geared raiders wanting a 15 minute roflstomp heroic instead of slowing down and letting you generate some aggro first.

I'd also look up loot tables for a new weapon. I know there's a nice one in H UP, as well as H ToC 5. A new weapon will help a lot with threat.

Good luck!