PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior tank Dps?

kingymech
12-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Ok so heres my question,

Normally im at the bottom (ofc) but some have made comments that my dps (1700 ish) is too low.

Now i dont have any problems with threat or aggro or even aoe tanking.

IS this normal for a wariror tank as druid and pala even dk are nealy over 2.5k.

cheers.

gabbu
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately, Yes

Kilrum
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
The warrior tank will always be lowest on the DPS totem pole it seems. This is made up for by the raid benefits brought by warriors abilities.

I am curious now, though. Has anyone done numbers on raid performance DPS wise with comparisons between MT's? I have to believe that melee at the least gets improved DPS from warrior sunders...which might actually be the sole difference between raid benefits of warrior tanks as opposed to the other 3 tanking classes.

kingymech
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
well now i feel a lot better and that pala can stfu lol

cheers

Bashal
12-11-2009, 11:17 AM
A tank's primary purpose is to hold threat and not get beat down by bosses. Being able to do more dps is nice, but meh. I leave DPS to the DPS.

Kilrum
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
A tank's primary purpose is to hold threat and not LET ANYONE ELSE get beat down by bosses. Being able to do more dps is nice, but meh. I leave DPS to the DPS.

Felt compelled to make that correction :)

A tank who isn't getting their faces pushed in is doing something wrong! :cool:

Aggathon
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok so heres my question,

Normally im at the bottom (ofc) but some have made comments that my dps (1700 ish) is too low.

Now i dont have any problems with threat or aggro or even aoe tanking.

IS this normal for a wariror tank as druid and pala even dk are nealy over 2.5k.

cheers.

Actually I kind of agree with the palidan, I can usually do around 2.5k dps, depending on the fight and rage of course. If it's in heroic 1700 is reasonable b/c of rage issues.

I looked at your spec though, and you don't have 3/3 ATtT which is very important and you also have zero points in Gag Order, which is an ABSOLUTE must imo. Take 3 points out of shield spec, put 2 into focused rage and 1 into ATtT and take 2 points out of cruelty and put it into Gag Order and you should see a DPS increase.

Also, what is your rotation like? I see you have glyph of devastate. While spamming devastate is more threat, it actually ends up being less TPS, especially if you're still spec'd into imp revenge.

While no, it doesn't really matter that much as long as you are holding threat and not dying, increasing your DPS by about 800 is probably a solid TPS increase also.

Reev
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Not only that, but increasing your damage by 800 dps is still adding 800 dps to the raid. DPS is dps, whatever source it's coming from. Usually when I'm raid tanking, I'm between 2200 and 2500 dps. I've done 4000 dps on Twins before. Damage may not be your primary job as a tank, but it still helps, especially on fights with tight enrage timers.

Aggathon
12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
and it's actually noticeable in 10 mans imo

Muffin Man
12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
It's tempered a little bit by the fact that our best dps and best tps moves don't always overlap. Like you mentioned revenge versus devastate. Then I believe devastate (especially when glyphed?) is more tps, less dps than CB and SW.

@Op, your spec is a little wonky. It's trying to be a progression and threat spec at the same time. Which means you've made some sacrifices here and there. Definitely fill out focus rage, don't worry about crit as much and if you must find points, improved revenge can go since it's almost never used when maxing dps.

That said though, my spec is more survival oriented (demo shout, no impale/dw) and I can tell you that you can still squeeze out more dps. I haven't been the old 15/5/51 since Naxx, so I can't tell you how high your dps can get, but your hit/expertise numbers are very favorable for high dps, I would estimate that you can get to 2k on a stand still fight fairly easily if you set your mind to it. From there I coudln't tell you but you can do more than that even, especially once you get raid buffs going.

Reev
12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Kingymech, your spec does appear a bit wonky, though I'll disagree with muffinman about dropping Imp Revenge. If you want more damage, Revenge is one of your better damage abilities, and talenting for it can be quite useful, as can the stun aspect for reducing damage on trash.

15/3/53 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo:crToMm) would be my recommendation on a well rounded spec. It will give you good survivability as well as better damage than what you're outputting now. You can put whatever you need to in place of the Last Stand glyph, by the way.

Muffin Man
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the top damage rotation is SS - Dev - Dev - CB/SW

Versus the top threat rotation of SS - Rev - Dev - CB/SW

That said I still jam revenge out of habit anyways and you can see my spec, so you can see how much I care about maxing my dps (I already break 2k on heroic bosses before you ask).

kingymech
12-11-2009, 04:20 PM
well thanks for all the pointers, soon as lord Marrowgar finishes handing me my ass ill respec. thanks for the tips, and ill post back when ive done it with the changes.

CHeers.

**edit for a rotatin i have HS maccro'd to evey one of my abilities (bar mod shift up) then its dev 5 stacks. SS RV Dev sometimes i put a red up if im on a gcd and HS is constantly beign spammed when rage isnt an issue