PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Confused tank needs help

Tempest250
12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi i need serious help with my DK tank. I have changed over to a DW frost setup but i think i have gone totally wrong some how and cant figure out where. Heres my armory:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Komier)

please could some kind person explain why my death knight is "squishy" compared to my under-equiped druid.

Any help and coments gratefully recieved.

Thanx in advance

Harmacy
12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Stop dual-wielding fast weapons, your threat is going to be minuscule as a result. Pick up some slow 1h DPS weapons, like Tankard o' Terror (if you have the gold to spend) or Aledar's Battlestar out of H ToC 5. The slower your weapons, the harder your strikes (especially Rune Strike) will hit, the higher your threat will be.

You also need to fix your spec. Unbreakable Armor is a wonderful cooldown, which you desperately need to pick up. Managing your cooldowns is one of the most important parts of DK tanking. Another problem is that you didn't spec into Bladed Armor, which gives you a ton of AP and, in turn, threat.

This (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EZhxe0A0I0c0fuzAo0x) is the bare-bones spec. You can put those last 4 points in any number of places - personally I went two points in Chill of the Grave and one point in Scent of Blood (more RP means never missing a rune strike, and being able to throw in more frost strikes) and one point in Deathchill (I love it, team it up with Howling Blast for AoE pulls - it's optional though).

Stop gemming expertise if you're not having big threat problems. Gem stamina. I'd also replace the defense trinket for something with Stamina since you are way over the defense minimum.

Tempest250
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
@ harmacy thanx for the input, but you didnt really answer my main problem i dont have big threat probs what i have is probs from taking damage.
I can tank the first 2 groups of mobs in the forge of souls with just a healer on my bear tank (still in some crafted blues and epics] but cant do it on the dk shown in my first post.

I want to ask if anyone could explain why that was, unfortunatley all i got was gem stamina ??

Aggathon
12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
@ harmacy thanx for the input, but you didnt really answer my main problem i dont have big threat probs what i have is probs from taking damage.
I can tank the first 2 groups of mobs in the forge of souls with just a healer on my bear tank (still in some crafted blues and epics] but cant do it on the dk shown in my first post.

I want to ask if anyone could explain why that was, unfortunatley all i got was gem stamina ??

I can't really speak much for DK specs since I'm not that fluent in it, but I can talk about gearing, gemming, enchanting, etc.

First: get rid of replling charge, you are way over the defense minimum and can easily afford to drop it. I'd highly suggest glyph of indominability.

As far as "just gem stam??" umm... yes! seriously. Stam is your frand. Typically the gemming reads: Gem stam unless you can match 1 hybrid gem with a socket bonus of +9 stam or higher.

Piece by piece breakdown:
Shoulders: put the 30 stam/15 resil shoulder enchant on it. This is actually your highest stam socket bonus atm so keep the red/blue gem in it.
Cloak: re-enchant with 225 armor
BP: regem all the gems to +30 stam and put on 275 HP to chest instead. This will net you around 700 or so hit points alone.
Bracers: 30 stam again
Belt: 30 stam
Gloves: regem 30 stam and enchant 240 armor or 18 stam

Gear upgrades that are either easily obtainable or craftable:
Belt: Indestructible Plate Girdle
Boots: Spiked Death Dealers
Bracers: Saronite Swordbreakers
Chest: Breastplate of the White Knight
Ring: Clutch of fortification
idk much about your T9, but you might look into that for legs/gloves/helm.

Having said all that, I'm not 100% sure you should have just instantly dropped dead, but the above suggestions will definitely help.

Harmacy
12-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Part of the problem is, you're not specced into Unbreakable Armor, which is a wonderful cooldown.

Part of the problem is, you're not stacking enough stamina/armor. Defense past the minimum is not a bad thing, but it's nothing you should intentionally seek out. Replace the trinket with a Brewfest trink if available, if not then use Essence of Gossamer. An extra 100+ stamina will help a lot with survivability. Regem and enchant for as much stamina as possible while still maintaining the defense minimum.

That being said, I see no reason for you to be dropping like a rock on trash mobs in Forge of Souls. Maybe you weren't in frost presence, or maybe your healer was made of fail? I don't know, it's not your gear though.

Rominoodle
12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Stop gemming expertise if you're not having big threat problems. Gem stamina. I'd also replace the defense trinket for something with Stamina since you are way over the defense minimum.

While I don't 100% disagree with this, I don't whole heartedly agree either. You said threat wasn't your problem but you are still under the softcap for expertise...Your hit rating is well above, however expertise is always better then hit. While I would gem as MUCH expertise as you, I would put a +20 expertise in your shoulders to activate your meta gem and go +30 to stamina in the rest of your slots. There is always a controversal debate about stamina stacking, but you seriously need it. In my Breastplate of the White Knight (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47591) I originally had some issues figuring out how to Gem it.

Looking at yours, you have 168 base stam, additional 10 stam from enchant, 15 from one of your gems, and 12 bonus. You are sitting on 205 stamina total on the breastplate. On mine I have all 30 stams + a 275 health enchant, bringing me to roughly +280 stamina...making an additional 750+ health just from switching those out. Also, being WAY above the defense CAP, switch your Sons of Hodir shoulder enchant with the PVP enchant +30 stam, 15 resilience. Like another post above, drop the Repelling Charge...the Use of having 3000 extra health is much less useful then even the Essence of Gossemer which is 111 stam...always. Triumph badges being so easy now, you can get the 245 helm from the vendor, or for a few less badges pick up your 232 set piece...Either way you should be sitting around 33-34k unbuffed if you switch your gems and such out. One of the things I've learned is having the health to take a hit (especially non-physical) as opposed to having the chance to avoid the hit gets more and more valuable with equipment progression.

Tempest250
12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanx all for the advice i guess i was still thinking too much about druid tanking which is mainly avoidance followed by ap. I will look into changing out my gems and enchants to see if that helps i was gemming for expertise due to duel weilding but maybe i went too far :)

May i also add that i used to have unbreakable armour but changed it due to wanting more rune availability via death runes and im not happy with the way its worked out