PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Prot Tanking Paradigm: What is it?

Kabasha
12-10-2009, 10:45 AM
So I've been away from theorycrafting for quite a bit, I'm trying to pick up where i left off (ToC/25 and U/25) and head into ICC/25 mans reasonably well informed. What I am having a hard time finding out lately is: What gear do Prot warriors need to tank bosses reliably in ICC/25?

Now I'm old school. I've had block, resist, avoidance, threat, HP sets with all this gear I've now become lost in the shuffle to maximize my raiding potential. What do I look for in gear? Should I get more dodge/parry? Should I focus on a block set? Pack everything with +STA or toss on +EXP/STA gems or +PARRY/STA gems?

EJ and TS are my bastions of knowledge but I don't see anything that pertains to my needs. What should my focus be? Any links to posts/threads/web sites I'm grateful for, yes I've scoured the sites but I must be missing something.

Synapse
12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Nothing changed from that, sir, except that there's no fight so far calling for resist gear.

You'll still want avoidance for fights that favor avoidance, eh for fights that don't, threat for fights where you're rushed in threat...

Aggathon
12-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Rawr! Stam Czar says stack stam!

But seriously, for the most part with few exceptions stacking stam is the way to go. ICC hardmodes will change that for a couple fights, and as synapse said, gear for the fight. As far as gems, if you need expertise (below 26) then gem exp/stam in red sockets that give stam bonuses. If you're going to gem for avoidance I'm actually currently gemming agi/stam for the added armor mitigation since agi gives armor + crit + a decent amount of dodge too, but not as much as a dodge gem would.

Kabasha
12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
So STA is still king eh? Is there some hard/fast number we are aiming for for combined dodge/parry/block or is that out the window still?

Aggathon
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
So STA is still king eh? Is there some hard/fast number we are aiming for for combined dodge/parry/block or is that out the window still?

Whatever you get on gear for the most part. If you're tanking Heroic Anub'Arak adds the story starts to change and you want a completely different set of gear, but FOR NOW, still stack EHP, this may change for a couple fights in ICC on hardmode, but we'll see.